2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I'd imagine the don't think Wilson is any more of a FQB than Sam.

I'm still not convinced that Wilson is their pick over Fields but that's a whole other question.  But what FootballGuy says sounds right.  It's just a matter of maximizing value with an eye towards where they want to be next season.  If he can turn #2 into something like Pitts and Etienne and a high pick next year, along with Sam, as opposed to Wilson/Fields and a mid-late 2nd round pick, he might see that as the better path.

No matter what, this team will look a lot different come training camp.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Is Steve Smith in a competition with his namesake, Stephen A Smith, to drop the dumbest comments possible?  I wouldn't have given Steve any odds at all, but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if he even remembers that IND is in HOU's division.

He doesn't remember what he had for breakfast even when he's eating it..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

A lot of teams are interested. But the bottom line is that Joe Douglas is not looking at it as "Darnold vs. Wilson (or any other draftable QB)", he's looking at which strategy would bring back more value. He's trying not to attach the person to the asset. At the end of the day, he has an assigned value to every player... what grouping gives the Jets the grandest roster for the most responsible amount of money? 

If a team offers a 1st for Sam and they have a high grade on Wilson, I would think they would trade Sam and take Wilson. However, if teams are only offering mid-late 2s, Douglas likely keeps Sam, takes the boatload of draft picks and goes that route. I think there always remains the possibility that he's blown away and decides to take what he can get for Sam just because he loves the QB at #2 so much, but based on everything I know I truly don't believe this to be the case.

In my opinion, this is dumb af, if we talking about a bad QB class maybe that could be a valid argument but we really have some good talent on the board at number 2, I really want to know what "the league" and Douglas is seeing in Darnold, after 3 years of watching him play he never did passed the eye test and what is worse for him is that in almost every metric and stat that is out there he's in the bottom of the league. You can blame Adam Gase, lack of WRs or whatever you want, but if you take out the emotion of being a Jets fan, you would never want Sam Darnold on your team, I doubt anyone here would like to trade anything for the worst ranked QB in the league. Everything starts with the QB, is the most important position in sports, if you have a chance to take really talented guys like Wilson or Fields you don't **** around and trade down to get a TE. WRs, TEs, RBs, they all come and go and there are multiple ways to acquire a skill players as for QBs I don't think so...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Dalton to the Bears..  The Sam window is closing so fast for JD.

Dalton feels like the most pedestrian of backup plans possible.  He's got about as much upside as Foles, maybe less.  I can't see them standing pat with that.  If anything, I wonder if Foles is going to be traded or released now because he makes no sense on that team now.

In any case, they still need an upside guy, either through draft, or trade or FA signing.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

A lot of teams are interested. But the bottom line is that Joe Douglas is not looking at it as "Darnold vs. Wilson (or any other draftable QB)", he's looking at which strategy would bring back more value. He's trying not to attach the person to the asset. At the end of the day, he has an assigned value to every player... what grouping gives the Jets the grandest roster for the most responsible amount of money? 

If a team offers a 1st for Sam and they have a high grade on Wilson, I would think they would trade Sam and take Wilson. However, if teams are only offering mid-late 2s, Douglas likely keeps Sam, takes the boatload of draft picks and goes that route. I think there always remains the possibility that he's blown away and decides to take what he can get for Sam just because he loves the QB at #2 so much, but based on everything I know I truly don't believe this to be the case.

This has been my unconnected opinion since the Jets locked into the #2 pick. It’s the pragmatic approach, and I like it. Build the roster, come away with a third first in 2022, and see where you are. 

• Upvote 4

The math may be very different for JD if he hasn't got an 8x10 glossy pin-up of Zach Wilson hanging above his bed.  Everything comes down to maximizing value to the team.  If he believes in one of the prospects enough, and has lost faith in Sam enough (which I have no idea if true or not), then yes, he will undoubtedly draft the player (and maybe trade Sam but who knows when).

But he's not necessarily putting the same value on Wilson (or Fields) as many here are.  Nor is he necessarily looking at Sam the same way many here are.  And this is the hard part, disagreeing with the consensus on JN does not make him wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Dalton feels like the most pedestrian of backup plans possible.  He's got about as much upside as Foles, maybe less.  I can't see them standing pat with that.  If anything, I wonder if Foles is going to be traded or released now because he makes no sense on that team now.

In any case, they still need an upside guy, either through draft, or trade or FA signing.  

Supposedly the Bears are working on a huge proposal to get Russell Wilson. This could be a guy that they may need to put in that deal?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Sam Darnold isn’t going to any NFL organization as the unquestioned starter, especially if the worst team in the NFL is tossing him. 

He will be in a QB comp regardless of where he’s playing next year 

3 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

In my opinion, this is dumb af, if we talking about a bad QB class maybe that could be a valid argument but we really have some good talent on the board at number 2, I really want to know what "the league" and Douglas is seeing in Darnold, after 3 years of watching him play he never did passed the eye test and what is worse for him is that in almost every metric and stat that is out there he's in the bottom of the league. You can blame Adam Gase, lack of WRs or whatever you want, but if you take out the emotion of being a Jets fan, you would never want Sam Darnold on your team, I doubt anyone here would like to trade anything for the worst ranked QB in the league. Everything starts with the QB, is the most important position in sports, if you have a chance to take really talented guys like Wilson or Fields you don't **** around and trade down to get a TE. WRs, TEs, RBs, they all come and go and there are multiple ways to acquire a skill players as for QBs I don't think so...

If he is not sold on any of the QB's in the draft OR the better value is Sam and more picks then that's what he should do.    Its a tough call, especially with Sam's struggles but the possibility of moving down and perhaps adding another first rounder next year and another pick(s) this year could be better for the team.  

Just now, section314 said:

Supposedly the Bears are working on a huge proposal to get Russell Wilson. This could be a guy that they may need to put in that deal?

Dalton is incentive to trade Wilson?  I have my doubts.  That package would need a lot more valuable assets 

8 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Everything is for naught this off-season if the Jets bring back Darnold as the unquestioned starter. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Agreed. If JD thinks like that (which I doubt he does), then he should consider a career change. I just dont see JD saying "we're not getting enough for sam, so lets pass on a guy who we think is good or can be better due to that". If thats how he views them

Listening to Chris Ballard interviews, he thinks this way. I wouldn’t brush it off as there’s no way JD thinks this way. Ballard sees addressing the QB position like any other position. He doesn’t buy into this get “your guy” at QB philosophy.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The math may be very different for JD if he hasn't got an 8x10 glossy pin-up of Zach Wilson hanging above his bed.  Everything comes down to maximizing value to the team.  If he believes in one of the prospects enough, and has lost faith in Sam enough (which I have no idea if true or not), then yes, he will undoubtedly draft the player (and maybe trade Sam but who knows when).

But he's not necessarily putting the same value on Wilson (or Fields) as many here are.  Nor is he necessarily looking at Sam the same way many here are.  And this is the hard part, disagreeing with the consensus on JN does not make him wrong.

When it comes to potential franchise QBs teams look at and handle things differently, look at the history of the league, no team is passing on a potential franchise QB when they have the leagues worst. 

We already have a surplus of draft picks 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The window was never that far open.  The “reports” of all of these teams being interested in Sam and willing to give up a high pick were just noise.   I can see some teams being interested in Sam to be a back up and give up a 3rd or 4th at the most.  This notion that teams were seeking out Sam to be their starter is amusing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

Dalton is incentive to trade Wilson?  I have my doubts.  That package would need a lot more valuable assets 

I heard on Sirius that the start would be Chicago's 1st and 2nd in 2021&22. Then some players. The Seahawks would need a QB. maybe Foles or Dalton could be in deal. Obviously just speculation.