Only Two Teams Can Afford Deshaun Watson: Real Trade Offers.

Shockwave

The Jets are in the prime spot allowing Houston to choose any QB less Lawrence.  If they took the Miami offer they would only do so by being sold on Tua knowing the Jets would then very likely take the QB or trade out to a team that would.  Being in a future division with Allen and Watson this is a critical moment to not only change our team but directly change another as I do not see any other teams in play for Watson that could offer more than these two. 

Both Firsts in 2021, and 1st in 2022.  Swap mid round picks if necessary.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So we have to trade them the farm and take on two lousy contracts as well.

Totally not worth it.

Just how is this team going to fill the massive holes all over the roster?

Jets and houston just switch places.  Jets have a no talent team with not a lot of cap room and no draft resources and will be will on their way to 5 wins with a QB throwing up big stats.

No question that the Jets can outbid any team trying to get Watson.

If I'm the Jets I make what I think is a good offer, take it or leave it by a certain date and then move on.

Beer,

The point of the post is to illustrate we actually will be giving less then most reports out there and still beat everyone.

The contracts may or may not be used. Those are just Aces up our sleeves if need be. Houston has to swallow a large cap hit to trade Watson so I believe they will want a team to take on someone to balance it out. 

Our 3 first beat everyone. Those crazy trades you see on Texans sites are just not happening. We don’t need to include Quinnen either.

The Best deal on the Market for Deshaun that should close the deal as illustrated above. It is essentially our First (1.2) plus the Jamal Adam’s picks. I can’t see what Jets Fans would be against that.

• Upvote 1

What can bring some other teams into the trade conversation is including talented players on cheap deals.  Similar to the WFT trade scenario with Chase Young, others teams have players that can be offered to even out the trade.

For example, Denver could offer Tim Patrick (RFA), Noah Fant (rookie contract), Dre'Mont Jones (rookie contract), or Josey Jewell (rookie contract).  I am not saying Denver would trade any of these players but they could be added in a trade package along with picks if the Broncos wanted to be in on the conversation.

I used Denver as an example because I don't think they will be in the conversation but simply as an example to show that it may not be as simple as trading draft picks.  You would also need to include some what proven players players from each team that would help to fill some of the holes that the Texans would be filling through the draft anyway.

• Upvote 1

Way more than 2 teams will try and trade for DeShaun Watson 

Add in the NY Giants. 

Ranking Giants’ top 12 trade assets for possible Texans’ Deshaun Watson deal

Updated 7:15 AM; Today 7:15 AM 
Saquon Barkley

New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley (26) missed most of the 2020 season with a torn ACL.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

The moment it became public that Deshaun Watson formally requested a trade from the Houston Texans, fans everywhere began coming up with trade ideas to bring one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks to their favorite team.

For some teams, like the Jets or Dolphins, it’s a more realistic possibility considering the combination of tradable assets and cap space. There are others that wouldn’t broach the subject out of happiness with their current situation (like the Chiefs or Seahawks) and others that probably couldn’t afford it if they wanted to (like the Eagles or Saints).

Sign up for Giants Extra: Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

That still leaves most of the league in the middle-ground — teams that should at least explore what it would cost. Most agree it will be significant.

The Giants are one of the teams in that area. They don’t have a large amount of cap space (they’re currently projected to be $3 million over, but can clear space pretty easily) or draft picks (six this year, with no fifth-round pick).

So outside of draft picks, what do the Giants have to offer?

Here’s a look at the 12 players on the Giants’ roster that would carry the most value in any trade, be it with the Texans or another team:

12. G Kevin Zeitler: Maybe this is an unfair ranking since Zeitler is a quality starting guard that could certainly help a team in need of offensive line upgrades. But there a few things going against his value. 1. His cost: Zeitler has a $12 million salary in 2021 on the last year of his contract. 2. The Giants might wind up cutting him anyway. 3. Guards in recent years haven’t netted much in trades. The Rams traded a fifth-round pick for Austin Corbett in 2019. That year, the Browns also traded a fifth and sixth for Wyatt Teller, the Patriots traded a fourth for Jermaine Eluemunor (and a sixth), and the Jets traded a fifth for Kelechi Osemele.

11. TE Evan Engram: He made his first Pro Bowl this season, and yet his trade value has probably never been lower. That’s true in terms of performance (11 drops, six interceptions when he was targeted in 2020) and contract (Engram is entering the final year of his deal). Still, despite all the errors, Engram clearly has talent and is the sort of player another team could convince themselves they can unlock his potential.

10. S Xavier McKinney: He only played in six games at the end of the season — really four, as the Giants eased him back in for a few weeks — but he was the top-drafted safety last year for a reason. He’s a fun prospect and flashed some of that potential by the end of the year, getting a game-winning interception in Week 17. He’s also on his rookie contract.

9. WR Darius Slayton: As long as he’s not the No. 1 receiver, Slayton has shown he can be a productive deep threat. He’s one of only 26 wide receivers with at least 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns combined the last two years, and only four others were drafted within that timeframe. He’s also cheap — Slayton is only due $1.8 million in salary combined over the next two years.

8. WR Sterling Shepard: He has issues staying healthy (10 missed games the last two years) but when he plays, he’s reliable and productive. He’s one of only 25 wide receivers to accumulate at least 300 catches, 3,500 yards and 20 touchdowns since 2016, and that’s while playing in fewer games than 19 of those receivers. He did sign a sizable deal recently, but any team that trades for Shepard would only have to pay him around $7 million in 2021, which is a perfectly reasonable price for a productive receiver. He’s only 27 too.

7. S Jabrill Peppers: Peppers started to show signs that he was realizing his potential in 2020. It was his best season (91 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 11 pass deflections, one interception), and he should only keep improving. He’s also only 26 and earning a reasonable salary ($6.7 million) in 2021, though it’s the final year of his contract.

6. LB Blake Martinez: Inside linebackers don’t typically net significant assets in return, but Martinez is coming off arguably his best all-around season as a pro (151 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception, five pass deflections) and improved significantly in coverage. He’s only 27, and would cost a reasonable $8.12 million to any acquiring team.

Buy Saquon Barkley Giants gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids

5. T Andrew Thomas: Even if most would argue he was the worst of the four highly-drafted tackle prospects from last year (Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Jedrick Wills the others), by the end of the season Thomas was showing signs of becoming a player worthy of the fourth overall pick last year. He looks like a potential long-term starter at one of the most important positions, and is under team control for at least four more years.

4. QB Daniel Jones: This is a difficult one to place since it’s entirely dependent on how the acquiring team feels about Jones’ potential. He certainly hasn’t shown enough through two years to convince anyone he’s a star-caliber quarterback. Some around the league are much higher on Jones than others. If the acquiring teams values Jones’ potential, an argument could be made to put Jones at the top of this list. Remember: Nick Foles garnered a fourth-round pick just last year. Josh Rosen netted a second AND fifth-round pick in 2019.

However, there are many teams that likely don’t value Jones as much as the Giants do, which puts a significant dent in his value. We split the difference and put him fourth on this list.

3. DL Dexter Lawrence: Lawrence showed improvement from his rookie to second season, and his athletic potential, at his size (6-4, 342), is simply tantalizing. Right now he’s more of a run-stopping defensive tackle, but he has the potential to become much more than that. Some around the league view him as a future Pro Bowler, and he’s under team control for three more years.

2. RB Saquon Barkley: A year ago, Barkley would’ve been the clear-cut No. 1 on this list. Now, he’s coming off two consecutive injury-plagued seasons, and this time a torn ACL that cost him all but two games. He’s due for a signficant contract extension in the new future, and plays a position that only loses value with each passing year. He’s a unique talent at running back, certainly, and the prospect of building an offense around him would still be a tantalizing prospect for many teams.

1. CB James Bradberry: He was that good in his first Giants season. He was an easy Pro Bowl selection and had a case to be named an All-Pro, too. Bradberry is a legitimate shutdown cornerback in an era where not many of those still exist, and his cap hit in 2021 ($13.9 million) is perfectly reasonable considering the season he just completed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Of course it could all be smoke, but everything I'm hearing down here indicates the Fish are good with Tua.  If that's true the Jets should be in the cat bird seat.  If the 3 isn't in play, that #2 will be a hammer.  

Also could all be smoke, but these persistent rumors that the Jets aren't interested either really disturb me.  Do our FO/CS honestly believe that Watson is only "a bit better" then Darnold? Are they are going to pass up on WATSON, Wilson, and Fields?

I just can't believe that.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Its not if the Texans are ok with fields or Wilson. Its are they ok with losing out on which one they like the most because their guy was taken at #2??

Their best bet is to get our pick and they can take who they want for sure 

Exactly.

If I'm the Texans, I'm only interested in dealing with the Jets.

Now, Watson has the no-trade, so he gets some say.  If Watson says he wants the Dolphins over the Jets, or frankly, any team over the Jets, then I need a 3-team deal.  Dolphins need to get the #2 from the Jets, and then send it to me.

They simply can't come home with the 3rd QB in the draft when you're giving up an elite QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, freestater said:

Me either. 

Then how did the RGIII trade happen? 

As mentioned in OP there’s def a way to circumvent it as with RG III.  The value of that pick also is less as it’s in the future.

it’s extremely rare as many teams GMs may not even have that position 3 years from now. The value of a 2023 First is worth Significantly less then a 2022 or 2021 First. 

52 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This statement has been said by many who follow the league closely 

“if the Jets really want Watson they can get him”

Its all on you JD, make it happen

But what we don’t know is do the Jets want Watson ? Or, for that matter, does Watson want the Jets ?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Chart Value goes out the window with this kinda deal. So many other factors. 

It's true in the sense that there's no accurate way to translate Deshaun Watson into draft value chart numbers. Is he worth 4000 points? 3000? who's to say. 

what we do know is Joe Douglas traded down from 48 to 59 last year to get Denzel Mims. He squeezed an extra 4th round pick out of 10 slots in the 2nd round. 

We can say things like this as fans "the chart value doesn't matter" 

yeah it doesn't matter to us. It matters a great deal to Joe Douglas and the other 31 GMs. 

the "bowl them away" offer that OP talks about yes they could do it. No they won't do it. 

I don't think the Texans would be willing to take any contracts back bc they are in such terrible cap shape.  I think it's all draft picks.  I do see the Texans being willing to take a lesser pick in 2022 in order to dump a couple of veteran contracts. Mercillus and Cooks would fit 2 needs for the Jets on basically 1 year deals.

11 minutes ago, JetsRevival said:

I don't think the Texans would be willing to take any contracts back bc they are in such terrible cap shape.  I think it's all draft picks.  I do see the Texans being willing to take a lesser pick in 2022 in order to dump a couple of veteran contracts. Mercillus and Cooks would fit 2 needs for the Jets on basically 1 year deals.

The Texans would need to give the draft players contracts too.  Trading a player that was drafted last year or the year before on a rookie contract would provide the Texans with a proven player at a cheaper price than that of a draft pick taken in the same round.  You get one or two years less of the contract.  But they are cheaper than current picks considering their cap hit is minus any signing bonus which would of already been paid out by the drafting team and does not carry over to the new team's cap charge in a trade.  Trading for players from the later rounds is actually a better value than having the picks.

I'd do our two first rounders this year and our one next year for sure.  And I WOULD take Whitney Mercilus' $12 million contract if needed.  He stinks but might offer some pass rush and is cuttable after 2021 which also is when all of our other dead money comes off the books for Tru and Enunwa.

It'd be a short term hit but would set us up beautifully with a FQB

Plus still having Seattle's #1 next year and all our other draft assetts in the future.  

Also remember Watson is only making like $12 million in 2021 so we could take Mercilus's cap hit next season and not be too hampered to still get A Rob and Thuney.

And then we'd be set for YEARS to come.

I think JD makes that offer, draws a line in the sand, take it or leave it.  If Texans don't then we move on with the original plan with or without Sam and a ton of picks and cap space. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

People refuse to see the big picture that trading all the draft resources they list in all these asinine trade proposals and the cap hit would lead to a worse overall team. 

Watson went 4-12 with a better roster than the Jets so just throw all that Top 5 BS out the door.

If we make the trade people are suggesting we will have Watson and not have a winning record the next 3 seasons.

It's idiotic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The article about the Giants is a pile of steaming nonsense.  When you rank their tradeable assets, you can stop at Daniel Jones.  Nobody is taking him as a starting QB.  Barkley is such a question mark because of injuries that his value to another team is meaningless in the magnitude of this deal, and he's going into his 4th year which means he's about to cost big money to retain.  Andrew Thomas?  At best looks like an average tackle.  

The Giants are already slightly over the cap for next year so they can't take back any big contracts either.  It's one of those "Let's get NYG fans to click on my article" articles.  Nothing more.

It's possible another team in the top-10 draft slots could make an offer, but it is pretty certain that NYJ and MIA are clearly in the best position here, by a wide margin.  So it really comes down to how much either/both of those teams are willing to offer.  If they go big, nobody else can touch them.

But the comment about not being able to trade 2023 draft picks?  That's also not quite right.  I believe the restriction is 3 years into the future until the draft, then the 4th year opens up.  So right now, you can trade 2021, 2022 and 2023 picks.  Once the draft starts you can include 2024 picks.  This information is a few years old so it might have changed but I doubt they tightened it up to just two years.

Giants have no chance. Totally agree. 

Regarding CBA: Original research was 2 Circumvented to 3 during the draft as you mentioned. But certainly could be more. I checked again and its pretty hard to find a clear answer. I HIGHLY doubt this comes to play as Deshaun is worth more then that and been so rare. 

Lets do an example of why this likely does not happen. 

The Panthers are the most aggressive they say. 

So They offer 

8, 39 and 73 THIS YEAR. 

First, Second and Third Rounders Next year. 

First Rounder in 2023. 

Those 7 Picks would still only be 3500 for the Texans. It still doesn't come close to the Jets offer of 3940. It still doesn't get the Texans a QB. Thats with the 2023 First rounder being valued as the first pick in the second round this year. 

IMO its going to come down to who Caserio could get the most from involving the Jets and Dolphins. The minute one of the two teams offers 3 first round picks which obviously should happen theres really no point in Caserio speaking to any team from a value standpoint except us and Miami. 

The NFL trade chart is extremely important. But lets say your within a few hundred points or a mid round pick  from the Jets and Dolphins offers I think its fair to say it could be thrown out the window due to the 4 QB's that may or may not be involved in this deal (Wilson, Fields, Tua or Sam). When it gets to that point all we could do is hope they are into Wilson. 

The only other team with the ammo that the Jets and Dolphins have are the Jaguars, who are obviously set with Trevor Lawrence and using their picks to build for him.

So again its only Jets and Dolphins. I can’t see any other team coming even remotely close to the compensation that Houston would need.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People refuse to see the big picture that trading all the draft resources they list in all these asinine trade proposals and the cap hit would lead to a worse overall team. 

Watson went 4-12 with a better roster than the Jets so just throw all that Top 5 BS out the door.

If we make the trade people are suggesting we will have Watson and not have a winning record the next 3 seasons.

It's idiotic.

The Whole 4-12 with Deshaun Watson is such a terrible argument. Lets end that now shall we?

In 2020 The Texans went 4-12. 

In 2019 The Texans went 10-6. 

In 2018 The Texans went 11-5. 

In The last 3 years with Deshaun Watson The Texans essentially put up the Same Offense. 380-400 Points Scored in all 3 years. 

So What changed this year? The Defense that allowed 316 and 385 points in 2018/2019 allowed 464 points. They had one of the worst defenses in the league this year. That is what changed. 

The Jets already have good defensive young players and just hired Robert Salah who produced a top Defense on a team full of injuries. Even after this trade we will still have among the most cap space in the NFL. 

If Saleh can get this defense to even middle of the Pack the Jets are in the playoffs with 10 wins immediately next year with Deshaun Watson. 

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Giants have no chance. Totally agree. 

Regarding CBA: Original research was 2 Circumvented to 3 during the draft as you mentioned. But certainly could be more. I checked again and its pretty hard to find a clear answer. I HIGHLY doubt this comes to play as Deshaun is worth more then that and been so rare. 

Lets do an example of why this likely does not happen. 

The Panthers are the most aggressive they say. 

So They offer 

8, 39 and 73 THIS YEAR. 

First, Second and Third Rounders Next year. 

First Rounder in 2023. 

Those 7 Picks would still only be 3500 for the Texans. It still doesn't come close to the Jets offer of 3940. It still doesn't get the Texans a QB. Thats with the 2023 First rounder being valued as the first pick in the second round this year. 

IMO its going to come down to who Caserio could get the most from involving the Jets and Dolphins. The minute one of the two teams offers 3 first round picks which obviously should happen theres really no point in Caserio speaking to any team from a value standpoint except us and Miami. 

The NFL trade chart is extremely important. But lets say your within a few hundred points or a mid round pick  from the Jets and Dolphins offers I think its fair to say it could be thrown out the window due to the 4 QB's that may or may not be involved in this deal (Wilson, Fields, Tua or Sam). When it gets to that point all we could do is hope they are into Wilson. 

Panthers could throw in Donte Jackson, Jeremy Chinn or Brian Burns to sweeten the trade.  All on rookie deals, good players for Houston to build around.

10 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Panthers could throw in Donte Jackson, Jeremy Chinn or Brian Burns to sweeten the trade.  All on rookie deals, good players for Houston to build around.

Good idea - So Lets Break it down. Brian Burns is a good player. So Lets grade him out as a First round pick. 

The Jets can offer 3970. 

The Panthers would need to offer:

2020: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 

2021: 1st, 2nd, 3rd. 

AND Brian Burns which lets value at pick 10-15 of this years draft? 

The Panthers now have somewhere between 4000-4500 and could beat the Jets. 

Lets say your Nick Casserio and you want to take this deal who is your QB? Where the Panthers are picking you wont even get Trey lance. 

So for Arguments sake let's say you take this deal. You now have the 8th pick in the draft. Now you want to trade up for the 2 or 3 pick to grab Fields or Wilson. 

To jump up from the Panthers pick to get Wilson for example you would need to give 1.8, a second rounder and that 2022 First you just got and it's still probably not enough. So you add in the 2022 third to close the deal accord to the trade chart. So Lets see whats left.....

You're left off with Brian Burns who needs a deal after next year. Zach Wilson, a 2020 3rd, and a 2021 2nd.

The Jets trade would net you Zach Wilson, 1.23 this year and a First next year. 

Which side are you taking? 

It just illustrates why GM's always want picks and without a QB the Texans need to get a QB in this deal. Because theres a Path in that Burns deal where he needs a new deal and leaves in 2 years and you can't complete a trade for a QB. 

I would think Chase Young is the most valuable player contract wise on the planet right now as and even that is very difficult because you don't get a QB back. 

Texans GM Nick Caserio: 'Zero interest' in trading Deshaun Watson

Around the NFL Staff
Published: Jan 29, 2021 at 01:29 PM

Around the NFL

News of Deshaun Watson's trade requestexploded across media platforms Thursday, inspiring scenarios ranging from realistic to absurd.

None interest Texans general manager Nick Caserio.

"Organizationally, I just want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio said Friday during a press conference introducing new head coach David Culley, addressing the elephant in the room before a reporter even had a chance to ask him about Watson. "He's had a great impact on this organization, a great impact on a lot of people, a great impact on this team, and we look forward to the opportunity to spend more time with him here this spring once we get started.

"And, you know, we have zero interest in trading the player. We have a great plan, a great vision for him and for this team and his role on our team. We look forward to the opportunity to spend more time with him here this spring."

Caserio presented his team's new hire with a similar theme of unifying the Texans organization, which has been under fire and mired in varying degrees of disarray since Bill O'Brien was given control of the roster, then fired in the middle of the season. Houston's approach to replacing O'Brien and filling the GM role upset Watson, causing further consternation for a franchise that struggled mightily to produce a solid product on the field in 2020.

Caserio said Friday he feels Culley is the man to bring things in line for the Texans.

"It was imperative to find a head coach that our entire organization could rally behind and David is unquestionably that leader," Caserio said. "David's infectious energy, passion for the game and ability to command a room was clear from the start. As he shared his vision for how a head coach should lead a football team, it further solidified our belief in him. His mentality of being selfless and willing to accept any challenge while investing in each person within our program resonated with all of us."

Houston Texans introduce David Culley as head coach

His first challenge -- mending fences with Watson and convincing him Houston is still where his future lies -- will be a massive one. As a star franchise quarterback just entering the opening stages of his prime, retaining Watson (and keeping him happy) is absolutely paramount to the Texans' future. And if that doesn't end up working, adjusting on the fly with whatever compensation Houston might receive for him in a potential trade will end up being equally as important.

Culley's leadership will be tested in this almost immediately -- well, as soon as he completes his first 24 hours on the job.

"The best way that you handle relationships is to communicate and be honest and be forthright. We're going to do that with everyone in this building, from equipment to training staff, to coaching staff, to personnel, to players, and, you know, this is kind of the initial stages of our program," Caserio said. "This is the first day for David. We're going to spend a lot of time together here obviously for the next few days and there is a number of things we are going to address and that we're going to tackle. I would say, in the interim, staff construction will be at the forefront of that. So, like anything, it's going to be through hard work, it's going to be through honest communication and, you know, we're going to do the right thing by people because that's what we believe in."

The Texans haven't quite done the right thing by Watson in how they handled their offseason changes so far. There's still time to make up for it, but the burden will fall on the shoulders of Caserio and Culley -- and it will be a significant task for the pairing of first-time general manager and coach.

To his credit, Culley was firm in his stance on the matter Friday when explaining his perspective on the still-developing situation and how it factored into his pursuit of the position.

"The only thing I knew about this whole situation, at that point, was is that I was being interviewed for this job to be the head coach. And, I did know at that point -- Deshaun Watson is a Houston Texan," Culley said. "He's the quarterback of the Houston Texans, and that's all that I was concerned about and that's all I knew. And whatever has been said about what he wanted to do or didn't want to do -- all I knew is this: Having been in this business this long --– he is a Houston Texan. And I want him to be a Houston Texan, and the reason I'm in this position today is because I knew he was going to be a Houston Texan.

"So, the outside stuff that was being said was irrelevant to me because the most important thing to me at that time was figuring out what can I do, after talking with Nick and his family, to become the next coach of the Houston Texans."

We'll see in the weeks and months ahead whether that remains the case. Either way, Culley has his work cut out for him as he begins his attempt to turn around the Texans.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It's idiotic.

and then Watson shoots his way out of town year 3 of Saleh 

the dude did it once why wouldn't he do it again? 

because he loves New York so much? 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and then Watson shoots his way out of town year 3 of Saleh 

the dude did it once why wouldn't he do it again? 

because he loves New York so much? 

Exactly. Once a malcontent always a malcontent. Do people really think he is not going to want a big say in coaching scheme and players. Just not the right move for the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1