Casserly Mock: Fields drops to Steelers

GreekJet

2 hours ago, undertow said:

Charlie Casserly and Bill Polian still think running QBs won't work in the NFL....these guys are both like 85 years old and the game has passed them by 20 years ago.  I didnt read the article but I guarantee he loves Mac Jones.

How many SuperBowls have "Running QB's" won?

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How many SuperBowls have "Running QB's" won?

That definition isn't quite as clear cut as it was back when Vince Young came into the league.

Pretty much every QB not named Brady, Brees or Rodgers right now is a 'running QB'.

Wilson - check.

Ben - check.

Mahomes - check.

They move when that's what the defense gives them or makes them do.  And they are good enough at it to win.

Now Lamar Jackson is a different kind of 'running QB' because he's a better runner, but not as good a passer.  That's something we can be suspicious of.  But Fields is definitely not that kind of QB.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That definition isn't quite as clear cut as it was back when Vince Young came into the league.

Pretty much every QB not named Brady, Brees or Rodgers right now is a 'running QB'.

Wilson - check.

Ben - check.

Mahomes - check.

They move when that's what the defense gives them or makes them do.  And they are good enough at it to win.

Now Lamar Jackson is a different kind of 'running QB' because he's a better runner, but not as good a passer.  That's something we can be suspicious of.  But Fields is definitely not that kind of QB.

I don’t have the time to look it up but  the rushing yards from  Ben, Pat and Russ are incredibly minuscule.  They are not running” QB’s.
They are very good at extending plays but that type of player has been around forever.  
Now, I do t think Fields will be a running QB any more than Allen is/was - run more early and evolve - but that’s a different story entirely.  I can definitely see a similar career trajectory for Fields - if he can take the step Allen took this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t have the time to look it up but  the rushing yards from  Ben, Pat and Russ are incredibly minuscule.  They are not running” QB’s.
They are very good at extending plays but that type of player has been around forever.  
Now, I do t think Fields will be a running QB any more than Allen is/was - run more early and evolve - but that’s a different story entirely.  I can definitely see a similar career trajectory for Fields - if he can take the step Allen took this year. 

Fair point, although Russ Wilson is actually very different.  He rushes an average of 90 times/season.  Way more than the other guys.  Allen is right at 100/season.  It works for them.  Interestingly, Watson is up around 90/season as well.  Works for him too.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fair point, although Russ Wilson is actually very different.  He rushes an average of 90 times/season.  Way more than the other guys.  Allen is right at 100/season.  It works for them.  Interestingly, Watson is up around 90/season as well.  Works for him too.

I def wouldn’t have guessed R. Wilson ran nearly that much. Knew Watson and Allen ran a lot though. 

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wilson - check.

Ben - check.

Mahomes - check.

I’d call that “mobile” QB’s instead of running QB’s. Someone who can gash you for the 1st down when the defense has its back turned. Running QB’s like Lamar have their own run plays designed for them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I def wouldn’t have guessed R. Wilson ran nearly that much. Knew Watson and Allen ran a lot though. 

Russell Wilson ran the ball 441 times during his four years (50 games) in college. Fields ran the ball 260 times over his 3 years (34 games).

Fields, like Wilson, is a QB then can run (they’re mobile) , but he’s not a running QB. Lamar Jackson is a running QB.

Trevor Lawrence runs the ball almost at the same rate as Fields.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GreekJet said:

And Woody Johnson paid him for his recommendation. 

Yeah seeking out the advice of 2 HOF, SB winning GMs didnt make sense?

We complain that Woody's an idiot who shouldnt be allowed to hire people.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont?  

It happens, undfortunately but F Casserly

Edited by Jet Nut
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Russell Wilson ran the ball 441 times during his four years (50 games) in college. Fields ran the ball 260 times over his 3 years (34 games).

Fields, like Wilson, is a QB then can run (they’re mobile) , but he’s not a running QB. Lamar Jackson is a running QB.

Trevor Lawrence runs the ball almost at the same rate as Fields.

I'm with you.  I don't think Fields is a running QB or at least will be one in the NFL.

Again, I find the Allen to be very similar to Fields - very different guys.  But I can see Fields being Allen in 3 years....put the team around him and it's a scary team.  I like Fields.  I like Fields a lot.

• Upvote 2