Allen Robinson continues to flirt with Gang Green on Twitter

NY Jets, Allen Robinson (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)

NY Jets, Allen Robinson (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)

NY Jets: Allen Robinson continues to flirt with Gang Green on Twitter

The NY Jets could target a number of high-profile free agents this offseason. But perhaps none more high-profile than star wide receiver Allen Robinson.

Robinson is among a few notable wide receivers who are set to be free agents in the coming days. However, much like Robinson, there’s a good chance that many of them receive the franchise tag.

That remains the case for Robinson who starred again in 2020 on the final year of his contract with the Chicago Bears. But that hasn’t stopped him from flirting with potential free-agent suitors on social media.

And among those teams, the Jets have remained near the top.

Allen Robinson continued to flirt with the NY Jets on Tuesday night

Robinson spent his Tuesday night “liking” numerous posts related to the Jets on Twitter. The first, and perhaps most notable, was a tweet from ESPN’s Field Yates that insisted the Jets “have the resources” to acquire any free agent they want to this offseason.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver then went on to like numerous other tweets related to the Jets. One discussed the possibility of pairing Robinson with Deshaun Watson in New York. Two others discussed possibly sending Sam Darnold to Chicago in a tag-and-trade for Robinson.

It should be noted that all of the tweets he liked on Tuesday night pertained to the Jets in one way or another. Take that as you will, but it’s clear that Robinson is doing some heavy flirting with Gang Green on social media.

More so than any other team.

Does that mean the Jets will target him or even have the chance to land him in free agency? Not necessarily.

There remains a very good chance that the Bears opt to tag Robinson, much to the chagrin of their star receiver. From there, the Jets could attempt to trade for the likely disgruntled Pro Bowler, but that would require giving up assets and potentially forking over money for a long-term extension.

It’s unclear if that’s something the Jets would be willing to do.

By all accounts, it seems as though the Jets are more likely to target players like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Will Fuller, and even Curtis Samuel in free agency. Robinson might want the Jets — but the interest might not be mutual.

At least, not at the required price point.

Regardless, Robinson has made his intentions clear. He wants his long-term security, and the Jets might be near the top of his list of preferred landing spots.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GodDamnSnack said:

I'm getting the vibe that this guy is just looking for a big pay day.

Yup.  The Jets have the most cap space.  He wants to get paid.  

Good for him.  But yeah with the current state of the Jets there's not much reason for this to be anybody's top choice other than money, and I'm ok with that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chad2coles said:

He's been a monster catching passes from terrible quarterbacks.  If the Jets get Watson, they could sign Robinson and Thuney and be done upgrading the offense.  After cutting Lewis, GVR, and Griffin, trading Darnold for a 2nd round pick, and reworking Crowder's deal, the Jets would still have more than $50M to spend on defense and draft picks and $22M in dead cap hits that would cover Watson's cap increase for the '22 season.

That would be a lovely scenario

24 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yup.  The Jets have the most cap space.  He wants to get paid.  

Good for him.  But yeah with the current state of the Jets there's not much reason for this to be anybody's top choice other than money, and I'm ok with that.

Never know, look at the jump from the bottom to a .500 team the Knicks have done, and they really mainly did it with the same players and a few decent draft picks, but used HC Thibs to change the culture overnight and get certain players like Randle to realize their potential. You know, what a coach is actually supposed to do for a living. If Saleh can do even half that and get some good players at the start of FA to come over here, others may take notice and come as well also due to the fact that between cap space and draft capital the Jets likely are in better shape than any team.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Biggest non-story in the NFL offseason.

WR who wants to get paid flirts with team who has the most cap and a need at WR.

Hold on while I alert ESPN.

Wait this has nothing to do with Lebron - why would ESPN care. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Robinson, 27, has now done the following in one day:

• Told the world that he prefers a big market.
  • That he trains in New York during the offseason.
  • Liked a tweet suggesting the Bears tag him and trade him to the Jets for Sam Darnold.
  • Liked a tweet suggesting the Jets trade Darnold and the No. 34 pick for his services.
  • Liked a tweet with photos of him, Deshaun Watson and Robert Saleh all in Jets gear.
  • Liked a tweet outlining how much money the Jets have in cap space.

Yes but what does it mean??????

Ever since dating back to my Trevor Lawrence dream; I've been A++ high on Allen Robinson. 

I believe he's the best and by far the most dominant FA WR. 

Regardless if it's Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson etc or even Sam Darnold; Allen Robinson as our #1 WR is (imo) a must. 

I'd love to see Denzel Mims opposite of Allen Robinson. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Robinson, 27, has now done the following in one day:

• Told the world that he prefers a big market.
  • That he trains in New York during the offseason.
  • Liked a tweet suggesting the Bears tag him and trade him to the Jets for Sam Darnold.
  • Liked a tweet suggesting the Jets trade Darnold and the No. 34 pick for his services.
  • Liked a tweet with photos of him, Deshaun Watson and Robert Saleh all in Jets gear.
  • Liked a tweet outlining how much money the Jets have in cap space.

It5pprg.gif

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ever since dating back to my Trevor Lawrence dream; I've been A++ high on Allen Robinson. 

I believe he's the best and by far the most dominant FA WR. 

Regardless if it's Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson etc or even Sam Darnold; Allen Robinson as our #1 WR is (imo) a must. 

I'd love to see Denzel Mims opposite of Allen Robinson. 

You’re ready to make him the highest paid WR in the NFL?

noted. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

You’re ready to make him the highest paid WR in the NFL?

noted. 

Eh... why not do it? Seriously? We have nothing to lose except cap space. He’ll be WR1 for like 3 years while we get talent under him on the depth chart. We got no one else to pay.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Eh... why not do it? Seriously? We have nothing to lose except cap space. He’ll be WR1 for like 3 years while we get talent under him on the depth chart. We got no one else to pay.

cause he's not that good

• WTF? 1

I'm typically not one for overspending...

But if you draft a QB at two....You have to surround whoever it is with talent.  You need to help him develop.

Go get Thuney, Get Robinson, keep Crowder....and then draft the best offensive player with 23 and 34 on the board.

That's how you do it.  

Make the young QB the single most important thing you can do.

If you have to overspend to help him develop you do it.  These next two years should have one goal and one goal only - give your young QB every opportunity to become a FQB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

cause he's not that good

He's averaged 100 catches and 1200 yards with the bears terrible qbs throwing him the ball.  Almost everyone ahead of him each year had a top QB throwing them the ball.  If he signs a similar deal to Keenan Allen ($81M/4 yrs), he could be cut after 2 years with only $5.4M in dead cap, and only $2.7M after 3 years.  His cap hit would only be $15.7M this year and $19.2M in '22.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Is he a top 10 receiver? Is there a receiver that is clearly better than him in the league at this moment? 

34 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

He's averaged 100 catches and 1200 yards with the bears terrible qbs throwing him the ball.  Almost everyone ahead of him each year had a top QB throwing them the ball.  If he signs a similar deal to Keenan Allen ($81M/4 yrs), he could be cut after 2 years with only $5.4M in dead cap, and only $2.7M after 3 years.  His cap hit would only be $15.7M this year and $19.2M in '22.

all this can be true, and he's still not good enough to for me to reset the WR bar...

Man you guys... Cousins, Bell, it doesn't matter hey. I can do better with that money on Curtis Samuel and Thuney & Linsley. I'm not getting into bar setting contract with Allen Robinson. I'm not....

• Upvote 1