George Fant

AFJF

He signed with the Jets to play LT and quietly moved to RT after Becton was drafted.

Wondering if the team told him they'd try to move him this offseason if they can upgarde in the draft.

Good group of tackles.

Interested to see if they move Fant for a mid-rounder and use one of the earlier picks on a young RT.

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They need to keep him even if they do draft a OT high. The team needs depth. 

Agreed, I think Fant gets criticized a bit too much here.  Could we upgrade the position, sure.  Should we draft an OT who can push Edoga and possibly start in 2022, yea I think you should address OL in almost every draft.  But is Fant also a good starter who has even more upside in this system where his athleticism can really show - yes. 

Also, unless you are drafting an elite OT, most rookies struggle, so Id rather develop a player for a year with a safe, veteran at RT then throw a rookie out there.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Fant is fine 

I don’t think the jets see OT as much of a need as the fans do

Didn't say he wasn't.  Was focusing on the fact that he said he was told he'd be the LT when he signed.

Wondered if the team will shop him to a team willing to let him play LT and try to upgrade at RT through the draft.

• Upvote 1

I thought fant wasn't an underwhelming signing that met my expectations, but this incessant desire to eject players as soon as there is another player at that position continually perplexes me. Sh*t happens. Why make yourself purposely thin because you got a player you think/hope is better?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the Fant love apart from a nice snappy short name.

He's meant to be great in the locker room, quite the team guy but ten million for some Demario Davies-type locker room speeches? He is overpaid, not a starter.
If he takes a pay cut, he's good depth. At 10 million a year, Douglas has got to do better.

• Upvote 1

JD was stuck.  He needed a swing T. Fant’s agent was smart, as it’s likely the Jets need to keep Fant out of necessity.

Kalil was his worst signing. It’s 50/50 Fant is on the team in 2021.

I think the Jets should part with Fant with Fant and Crowder, save the money and upgrade to better players signed for 2022, such as Moton and JuJu.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Didn't say he wasn't.  Was focusing on the fact that he said he was told he'd be the LT when he signed.

Wondered if the team will shop him to a team willing to let him play LT and try to upgrade at RT through the draft.

Replace a guy that can play LT and RT at a starting level for an unknown prospect 

why? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD was stuck.  He needed a swing T. Fant’s agent was smart, as it’s likely the Jets need to keep Fant out of necessity.

Kalil was his worst signing. It’s 50/50 Fant is on the team in 2021.

I think the Jets should part with Fant with Fant and Crowder, save the money and upgrade to better players signed for 2022, such as Moton and JuJu.

Carolina just franchised Moton.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

How do we know he was told he would be the LT or that hes not happy as a RT?  Given his background, his experience and his injury history why would he think he could be picky in regards to which position he starts at?  

should fant be replaced?  of course if there's a better guy but right now it's the jets interior linemen that need to play better.  it took van roten most of the season to get up to speed and lewis wasn't as good.  those guys impact how well the tackles play.  right now fant only costs the jets some money.  they have the space to deal with his contract so it isn't imperative that they get his replacement this season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How do we know he was told he would be the LT or that hes not happy as a RT?  Given his background, his experience and his injury history why would he think he could be picky in regards to which position he starts at?  

It was reported after they drafted Becton that Fant was told he was being signed to play LT.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Google "Jets Fant left tackle newsday".  Can't post the link from the UK.

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Google "Jets Fant left tackle newsday".  Can't post the link from the UK.

At least you can read it, I open it and it wants me to subscribe, lol.

Ishould have said given his abilities he would be happy at RT too.  

I hope the Jets draft a good RT prospect anywhere from the Seattle first to the 4th round, at latest.  There looks to be a nice bunch of guys who should be available in the late first/early 2nd round.

If that guy wins the RT job in camp, then keep Fant for at least a year as depth.  He's probably a solid 3rd tackle that JD overpaid a bit for.

I really hope the Jets are looking to upgrade at RT, C, and G.  Signing (Linsley) or drafting (round 2-3) a good C would probably allow McGovern to slide to RG, thus improving two spots on the line at once.

Fant was a smart signing because he gave maximum flexibility to Douglas.

If free agency allowed the Jets to land a big RT, Fant could play left. If they brought in a veteran LT, Fant plays on the right.

If the draft turned out where the Jets couldn't land any of the big four OTs and weren't as high on the second tier, they could play Fant at LT. If the last remaining of the four to get to them was Wills, who was really a RT, Fant also could take the left side. But if they could get one of the big LTs, Fant takes to the right side. 

The contract allowed them to either keep him for the length of it or, if there were better options at both LT and RT, cut him after a year with minimum cap expense.

Just total flexibility in so many ways.

• Upvote 1