Where does Douglas pivot from here?

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. The team was 2-14 last year and the roster is abominable at every position that matters. Really not sure how giving Joe Thuney $80 million moves the needle

Because you're almost certainly bringing in a rookie QB.

Are we intent on not giving him a chance to succeed either?  You can't put a rookie behind that OL and expect anything other than seeing him regress.

Very worrisome.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

BS - he needed to shore up the OL.  

Darnold, Watson or a Rookie - needed protection.  Specifically up the middle and you can NOT count on rookies to do that.

He let the two big fish in those spots go.  This is very worrisome.

If the big swinging sword of a GM making 6 mill or whatever it is per can’t find guards in the draft then what is the point?  The line isn’t awful. The QB was awful. Get a decent player behind center and the oline can function.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the big swinging sword of a GM making 6 mill or whatever it is per can’t find guards in the draft then what is the point?  The line isn’t awful. The QB was awful. Get a decent player behind center and the oline can function.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

29. NEW YORK JETS

The Jets, like the Dolphins, threw a lot of resources at the offensive line this offseason. That included a first-round pick spent on Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton, who impressed in his rookie season. His 74.3 PFF grade ranked 19th out of 38 qualifying left tackles despite battling injuries, and he showcased that his rare blend of size and athleticism could cause serious problems for defenders.

Overall, however, it was a disappointing season for the offensive line in New York. They allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 28% of their dropbacks — the worst rate in the NFL. The line wasn’t creating many lanes in the run game, either. The Jets averaged just 1.1 yards per carry before contact per rushing attempt in 2020 (30th). Once again, they’ll have to look to add pieces to their offensive line this offseason.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are we intent on not giving him a chance to succeed either?  You can't put a rookie behind that OL and expect anything other than seeing him regress.

Very worrisome.

Defining success solely as “giving Joe Thuney $80 million” is the kind of thinking that made Mike Maccagnan the NFL’s Executive of the Year

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

EmbdxTeXMAA9D6l.jpg

Unless Joe Douglas knows how to operate a smart phone in his sleep, he was awake here. But I realize that once the mindless masses get hold of a meme, they never let go. 

To the OP: No place to pivot. Losing out on Thuney and Linsey means the Jets are doomed. There is no hope left. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems like the Jets were out early on both huge deals. I don’t think there’s any pivoting involved at all. The numbers went higher than he wanted to spend and that was that. Also, probably pretty predictable. 

The Jets have holes all over their roster, have plenty of money to spend, and were most likely planning to wait out most of the first wave, anyway. 

I get that we’ve all been waiting a long time for something but, barring being able to land a big fish on a reasonable deal, they were probably always focused on adding depth everywhere after the big money got spent around the league. 

I agree.  We are in no position to reload or make a run.  I - for one - would be delighted to hear we extended Quinnen and Maye in today's news.  Let's shop in the discount pile and build in the draft inside out.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

"We are building through the draft and only supplimenting with free agency."  What part of that did jet fans not understand?

Ok. You keep saying that but you still have to put together some sort of roster. You still have to give your QB weapons and protection so the offense can function and your QB can develop. I know there are some fans on here who wanted JD to throw money and overpay for multiple top tier FAs. I totally get why he won't do that. But at some point, when you have so much cap room,  you have to make sure you acquire competent talent via FA while you continue building through the draft. JD can do it in parallel. 

I wanted Thuney or Linsley. But those guys got massive contracts. If JD has a plan for the interior of the o-line, I'm fine with it. However, if he trots out Lewis and GVR again this year, or is forced to reach for a G in the draft, thats a clear failure on his part to address the position. 

You gotta have proven veterans on the team as you build through the draft and as you develop young players. I'm not saying get into toxic, long term, massive contracts. I'm saying bring in proven players even if they aren't the cheapest, don't sit on your hands and say 'I'm building through the draft'. Especially if they plan on bringing in a rookie QB.   

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Defining success solely as “giving Joe Thuney $80 million” is the kind of thinking that made Mike Maccagnan the NFL’s Executive of the Year

Not building an OL to support his #3 pick overall QB - is what made Mac the worst GM in the league.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Very worrisome.

how can you say this and then blame darnold for playing poorly?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Let’s see how much love Joe Douglas gets by seasons end. I predict the Hot seat.

If we get shut out in free agency, it's worse than Adam Gase opening his first season 0-4 and being drawn and quartered.

One of the richest franchises in all of sports.  Ton of cap room.  Saleh and LaFleur.  #2 pick in the draft.  And Douglas can't convince anyone to play here.

SAR I

Just now, neckdemon said:

how can you say this and then blame darnold for playing poorly?

I don't blame Darnold for playing poorly.  Well, I think Sam regressed, got worse from his Rookie year to last year,..and I think that was because the Jets did NOTHING to support him.  I don't think it makes sense to bring him back but I actually believe Sam has a chance somewhere else. 

He never really flashed here, but give him new scenery with a team that actually understands you need to support a young QB and he might turn into something.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems like the Jets were out early on both huge deals. I don’t think there’s any pivoting involved at all. The numbers went higher than he wanted to spend and that was that. Also, probably pretty predictable. 

The Jets have holes all over their roster, have plenty of money to spend, and were most likely planning to wait out most of the first wave, anyway. 

I get that we’ve all been waiting a long time for something but, barring being able to land a big fish on a reasonable deal, they were probably always focused on adding depth everywhere after the big money got spent around the league. 

The move now has to center around making draft choices easier. Sign at least 1 Edge guy, another LB, 2 good receivers, a CB and basically declare pick 23 as an OL focused selection. Eliminate needs in order to focus on the OL.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't blame Darnold for playing poorly.  Well, I think Sam regressed, got worse from his Rookie year to last year,..and I think that was because the Jets did NOTHING to support him.  I don't think it makes sense to bring him back but I actually believe Sam has a chance somewhere else. 

He never really flashed here, but give him new scenery with a team that actually understands you need to support a young QB and he might turn into something.

i'd argue that he flashed the second half of last season 

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok. You keep saying that but you still have to put together some sort of roster. You still have to give your QB weapons and protection so the offense can function and your QB can develop. I know there are some fans on here who wanted JD to throw money and overpay for multiple top tier FAs. I totally get why he won't do that. But at some point, when you have so much cap room,  you have to make sure you acquire competent talent via FA while you continue building through the draft. JD can do it in parallel. 

I wanted Thuney or Linsley. But those guys got massive contracts. If JD has a plan for the interior of the o-line, I'm fine with it. However, if he trots out Lewis and GVR again this year, or is forced to reach for a G in the draft, thats a clear failure on his part to address the position. 

You gotta have proven veterans on the team as you build through the draft and as you develop young players. I'm not saying get into toxic, long term, massive contracts. I'm saying bring in proven players even if they aren't the cheapest, don't sit on your hands and say 'I'm building through the draft'. Especially if they plan on bringing in a rookie QB.   

1st round- qb, wr

second round(extra pick for darnold)- rb, oline

3rd round- tight end, oline

Joe D just got u a franchise qb, a stud wr and rb, 2 olineman to protect franchise qb and a stud te.

Add this to becton, herndon, mims, crowder and perine and we have said playmakers.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Thuney and Linsley aren’t the only FA OL available, let alone the draft where we have ten picks

Oh, I agree.  It's early still.  And I said as much...

But I thought landing one of those two was going to be a priority and now I just don't know what JD is thinking.  Does he think he can do what he did last year and fill in the OL with back-ups?  I honestly don't know - but I'm certainly worried at this point.

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Unless Joe Douglas knows how to operate a smart phone in his sleep, he was awake here. But I realize that once the mindless masses get hold of a meme, they never let go. 

To the OP: No place to pivot. Losing out on Thuney and Linsey means the Jets are doomed. There is no hope left. 

You must be a ton of fun at parties. 

Everyone knows he was awake. You're not smarter than the average bear, genius.