Who will be the Jets best defender this season?

Who will be the Jets best defender this season?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Put your name on it! Who will be the most indispensable guy on the Jets defense, our best defender?

• Carl Lawson
    • CJ Mosley
    • Quinnen Williams
    • OTHER (post a name in the thread)

This is actually a fun poll to make because for the first time in a long time the Jets truly have some dangerous, Pro Bowl caliber players in their Front 7.  And, it's more than just one guy.  Carl Lawson has been playing with his hair on fire since the day he got here.  CJ Mosley is reminding everyone that he's a multiple time Pro Bowler and seems HIGHLY motivated to show out.  And, Quinnen Williams may have the most raw talent on the entire team and could finally be used the correct way.

Who do you think will be the most indispensable guy, the guy we're all raving about at the end of the year?  All three could end up playing great, but you have to pick one.

Maybe we come back at the end of the season and revisit this (for better or worse) and judge based on whether any of them got Pro Bowl nods and who had the highest PFF grade (which I know isn't the fairest way but it is quantitative and objective).

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

My answer was QW.

but this is a tough question because I believe Lawson, Williams, Maye and Nasirildeen (100+ tackles as a Rookie coming up) are all going to feast under coach Saleh. 

My two underdog sleepers are Jarrad Davis and Bryce Hall. 

Guaranteed Top 1-3 Defense.

The Jets will not have a top 3 defense, dude. 

5 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Blah blah blah.

That's what people told me heading into 2009 when I was screaming top 3 Defense under Rex Ryan, dude. 

(Heading into 2009 #24 was yet to be known as an All-Pro Superstar either).

Yes. The Jets will rank as a top 3 Defense in all 4 of yards allowed, points allowed, sacks and QB rating against. 

image.png.7eb71523745b558c8b63a569cee871cc.png

You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to; but you better listen to C.J. Mosley who's got more NFL accolades than Marvin Jones/Jonathan Vilma/David Harris/Bart Scott (combined) because if not you'll be proven wrong.

• Thumb Down 2

Im not sure Mosley will be our best defender. I do think he might be our most important one. His run defense will be key to our overall defense this year. This attacking style defense is exiting and will give QB fits. It could leave us open to. A good running game.

• Upvote 2

All three will perform.

I was always a little higher on Mosley returning than some so I feel a bit loyal to him. A few here were desperate to get him out the door but it seems he's bought in under Saleh and then some. Some forget how good he was - In a 4-3 he'll have even more responsibility and I think he's going to dominate. He looked so fast on Saturday and seems to be flying to the ball. It's going to be such a huge lift to all those guys from last year to see him back. 

• Sympathy 3

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

Yeah top 3 is high but I think it will be very good. A lot will depend on certain things.

If the corners even play to a mediocre level, if Joyner gets back to his previous level at safety, if Rankins isn't totally washed...I doubt all of these will go our way but there's some serious talent on that side of the ball and a coach who can get the best out of it. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm gonna go with Quinnen Williams. The man is a lean mean green machine

How about this as a new nickname for the defense, as recycling Sack Exchange seems kind of lame/disrespectful to the original? (And it's a nostalgic nod to the original Longest Yard team name? Mean Machine )

This is difficult. The Jets have all-pro caliber talent in Q, Lawson, Mosely and Maye. The D line so deep it is hard to give Q or Lawson the nod as most indispensable. Knowing that CJ is not making the D calls and that Davis can slide over to MLB, it is tough to say that Mosely is the most indispensable.  That leaves me with Maye. Seeing as he is the leader of a young DB corps and how important improved play on the back end is to the Jets, I'd say Maye will be the most indispensable D player.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This is difficult. The Jets have all-pro caliber talent in Q, Lawson, Mosely and Maye. The D line so deep it is hard to give Q or Lawson the nod as most indispensable. Knowing that CJ is not making the D calls and that Davis can slide over to MLB, it is tough to say that Mosely is the most indispensable.  That leaves me with Maye. Seeing as he is the leader of a young DB corps and how important improved play on the back end is to the Jets, I'd say Maye will be the most indispensable D player.

Maye is a good mention, Sonny!  I've been a pretty big fan of Maye but his name doesn't rise to the level of the other 3 guys in the poll.  In my opinion he's that 4th guy though.

• Sympathy 1

This was a tough one as I expect Mosley to lead the team in tackles and have a couple of ints while QW and CL both disrupt and have double digit sacks. If the vote were for break out player that would be Bryce Hall as I believe he will ball in the team’s weakest position group. With that said I voted for Mosley because of the leadership skills he brings, and QW and CL would continue to disrupt if one of them weren’t in the game. Really excited for all of them though!

12 hours ago, genot said:

Im not sure Mosley will be our best defender. I do think he might be our most important one. His run defense will be key to our overall defense this year. This attacking style defense is exiting and will give QB fits. It could leave us open to. A good running game.

I like this distinction.  I wanted to vote Mosley but couldn’t justify voting him over the other 2 options.  In your scenario/criteria he’s # 1.

No matter what anyone says about him being lazy/selfish (all overstated criticism) and despite it forever being a bad signing by Macc no matter what Mosley does…he has crazy special upside for this team.  If he reaches 30 % of that upside he can change games.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

All three will perform.

I was always a little higher on Mosley returning than some so I feel a bit loyal to him. A few here were desperate to get him out the door but it seems he's bought in under Saleh and then some. Some forget how good he was - In a 4-3 he'll have even more responsibility and I think he's going to dominate. He looked so fast on Saturday and seems to be flying to the ball. It's going to be such a huge lift to all those guys from last year to see him back. 

Yep to all of this.  His contract made him impossible to trade, but when you remove the money from the equation, he’s just a solid football player if healthy/in shape.  Which I believe he will be.