Jets Practice Squad Signings

Lith

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

He will be cut week 2 after his his usefullness expires.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Then picked back up by the Jets. That’s JD’S plan. Already knowing Carolina would play that game….. He’s going there to spread disinformation.. How genius!!!!

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great to see Vyncint Smith, Yeboah, Josh Johnson, Josh Adams and Hamilcar there.

No James Morgan, huh?  Interesting.

I also find it interesting that Morgan was not resigned for the simple reality to prepare in case of Covid. Morgan, at least knows the offense and has looked "decent." I am a bit surprised but also  will not lose too much sleep over Morgan being cut. I trust that JD has a plan and our roster will surley change, however, the  momentum of negativity towards Morgan is confusing to me. He was a mid round prospect before his draft year. He was taken in the 4th round, not the 1st. From many different sources,  if the Jets did not take him there , the Patriots were ready to take him with the next pick. Covid happens, he has a shell of a training camp, no preseason (which equates into no live game snaps), Gase of all people is his coach, and still there are only a few that will give him the benefit of the doubt to keep him around or simply believe he is not a total bust. Has he lit up pre season in year TWO? , No , but he’s been decent to good and the hail mary pass at the very least showed the strength of his arm with accuracy.  I find it interesting at least that he was not resigned to the PS simply that he knows the offense in the event of Covid .. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

PS signings confirmed by the Jets.  13 confirmed, 3 spots remain open.  Had bewen reported earlier that Neasman was signed, but he is not on list from the team:

Neasman has been signed back to the 53, along with Griffin and Brown at TE.

Bless and Zuniga cut, McDermott, Jarad and Ashtyn Davis to IR.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I also find it interesting that Morgan was not resigned for the simple reality to prepare in case of Covid. Morgan, at least knows the offense and has looked "decent." I am a bit surprised but also  will not lose too much sleep over Morgan being cut. I trust that JD has a plan and our roster will surley change, however, the  momentum of negativity towards Morgan is confusing to me. He was a mid round prospect before his draft year. He was taken in the 4th round, not the 1st. From many different sources,  if the Jets did not take him there , the Patriots were ready to take him with the next pick. Covid happens, he has a shell of a training camp, no preseason (which equates into no live game snaps), Gase of all people is his coach, and still there are only a few that will give him the benefit of the doubt to keep him around or simply believe he is not a total bust. Has he lit up pre season in year TWO? , No , but he’s been decent to good and the hail mary pass at the very least showed the strength of his arm with accuracy.  I find it interesting at least that he was not resigned to the PS simply that he knows the offense in the event of Covid .. 

Maybe we wanted Morgan back.  Maybe he wanted to go to another team.  Maybe he prefers living in Charlotte.  Maybe Charlotte offered him more money.  Once they clear players are free to sign wherever they want and whether we wanted him back is not the determining factor.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Neasman has been signed back to the 53, along with Griffin and Brown at TE.

Bless and Zuniga cut, McDermott, Jarad and Ashtyn Davis to IR.

Guess that means they were trying to work trades for Austin and Zuniga.  I think it is pretty common.  Teams may be interested, but not if they find somebody they like more on the waiver wire.  If they don't you can wrangle a 7th or conditional pick.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

PS signings confirmed by the Jets.  13 confirmed, 3 spots remain open.  Had bewen reported earlier that Neasman was signed, but he is not on list from the team:

Thanks.  I had not seen Grant Hermanns added.  

Let's face facts.  Fant will leave next year - we will not pay him some $10 million, since there will be no salary cap issues he will be released absent some sudden reversal in his fortunes.  Moses is on a one-year prove it deal and can simply leave.  Word is the Jets tried to sign to a multi-year deal and he declined.  We may have to replace BOTH of them.

Grant Hermanns sure looked the part of a starting RT during the preseason.  They are frequently last round picks and he had an excellent camp and preseason games.  Good teams get free stuff.  Now he gets a year in the program.

I also love to see Hamilcar Rashid, Kenny Yeboah, Josh Adams and Lamar Jackson sticking with the green.  Adams is good insurance.  Given all the time he has spent in camp with the Jets and on the practice squad, he must be closing in on his NFL pension.  So good for him.  Rashid and Yeboah both needed a year in the program and now both will get that chance.  Their time is next season fellas.  

I am glad to see Lamar Jackson cleared waivers.  Since we cut Bless Austin, his veteran leadership and stability will be needed if the kindergarten kids have a food fight in the cafeteria.  Yes, I realize he is like 23.  But still.  He has more starting experience than most of the secondary.  Nearly as much as Hall.  

I confess to being surprised we kept Williams and Murrey over David Moore.  Perhaps there is still "Moore" to come. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I think we should all hold off on putting him in HOF. He wasn’t drafted and wasn’t claimed. 

Yeah, exactly my point.

There was some people saying he was our best RB during that last preseason game, and several were banging the table to keep him over Perine.

Jets Sign 13 to the Practice Squad

All 13 Were Part of Jets Training Camp Including Veteran QB Josh Johnson

Sep 01, 2021 at 04:48 PM

The Jets have signed 13 players to the team's practice squad, all oh whom participated in the Green & White's training camp. The Jets made the P-squad moves after trimming their roster to 53 Tuesday.

The list includes eight offensive players and five defensive players.

Some highlights:

While neither Zach Wilson, the No. 2 overall selection in April's draft, nor backup Mike White, have taken a regular-season snap in the NFL, the Jets did take the veteran route on the practice squad with the addition of Josh Johnson. In his only preseason action, Johnson (35) completed 7-of-8 passes against the Eagles that included a short scoring toss to Lawrence Cager. Johnson has appeared in 33 regular-season contests and made eight starts.

Head coach Robert Saleh said of Johnson last Friday: "Giving JJ a chance to go compete, he hasn't had a lot of reps, obviously. But we felt like it was a great opportunity for him to go show it. It doesn't look like he's in his mid-30s the way he's running around, slinging the ball. I thought he was very productive. Obviously a veteran, knew exactly where to go with the ball. He was decisive with it."

RB Josh Adams and WRs Vyncint Smith and DJ Montgomery are also on the practice squad. Adams, who averaged 5.4 yards per carry in both the 2020 regular season and the 2021 preseason, powered home for a two-point conversion to lift the Jets to a 31-31 tie in the preseason finale against the Eagles. Smith, who had 6 catches in the 2021 preseason, had 18 grabs and 238 yards receiving for the Jets in 2019-20. Montgomery, who had two college seasons of double-digit touchdown receptions, had 3 receptions in the preseason.

Rookie TE Kenny Yeboah, who had 2 TDs in the tie against Philly including a 49-yarder from James Morgan with no time on the clock, signed with the Jets as undrafted free agent out of Mississippi. He led the Jets with 106 yards receiving in the preseason. Last season for the Rebels, Yeboah ranked fourth in the nation among tight ends with 65.5 receiving yards per game and 19.41 yards per receptions.

After the preseason Hail Mary, Yeboah said: "I'm just very thankful I'm here with the Jets and Coach Saleh. I'm just so happy to be here."

The Jets tabbed three players for their offensive line: Jimmy MurrayGrant Hermanns and Isaiah Williams. Murray (26) spent time on the practice squad and active roster last season and he received some first-team reps at guard when rookie Alijah-Vera Tucker was sidelined with a pec injury. Hermanns, one of 12 undrafted players to sign with the Jets in May, started all 33 games he played in at Purdue, all coming at left tackle. Williams moved to the Jets in late August days after he was waived by the 49ers.

Veteran DT Tanzel Smart, who spent time with the Rams (2017-19) and the Bills (2020) and has totaled 20 tackles in 31 games, finished with 6 tackles and 2 QB hits this preseason. He joins the practice squad along with Ronnie Blair, a veteran DL who has accumulated 88 tackles, 22 TFLs, 13.5 sacks and 27 QB hits during his pro career.

Linebackers Del'Shawn Phillips (5 defensive stops and 1 special teams tackle in preseason) and Hamilcar Rashed Jr. (1.5 sacks, 2 QB hits and 8 tackles) will also have practice roles on defense. Rashed Jr. originally joined the Jets in May after registering 36 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks at Oregon State. Phillips made his pro debut against the Jets last September when he was in Buffalo. He was later waived in January and picked up by the Green & White in May.

Cornerback Lamar Jackson, who appeared in 13 games as a rookie for the Jets and had 26 tackles, will extend his stay on the practice squad.

NFL teams are allowed to carry up to six veterans with no limitations to number of accrued seasons on the practice squad and four players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons. All clubs are allowed to promote two players to the active roster for gamedays, expanding the gameday roster to 55.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agree. My comment was based on the fact that he was a projected mid-round pick. I guess most teams didn't  see him that way and the reason he went undrafted. Just thought someone would take a flyer. Then again, when a team with no TEs waives you, that's a hint 

I get it... After following the draft now for a couple of decades, I'd say TEs/RBs are easily the two most "over" projected positions. Every year a bunch "slip" right out of the draft and we're surprised... but i think it's a matter us/community inflating too many names... Conversely there's always way more Dline/Oline selected annually than we expect

(the FF effect maybe?) 

• Upvote 2

Morgan made the choice JD couldn't. Props.

I think it was a bad move because if the Panthers cut him after a week after picking his brain on the Jets’ playbook he has burned his bridges with the Jets. And it’s not like the Panthers signed him to the active roster. He might have screwed himself.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Because in order to sign him, he needs to be placed on the active 53 , meaning the signing team would need to release someone else. If someone is going to grab him it will be in season when injuries open up spots on rosters. 

Dont think so, think he has to be on the active roster if he was taken from our PS

23 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think it was a bad move because if the Panthers cut him after a week after picking his brain on the Jets’ playbook he has burned his bridges with the Jets. And it’s not like the Panthers signed him to the active roster. He might have screwed himself.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Panthers cut him, JD will take him back on our PS in a heartbeat. No grudges. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont think so, think he has to be on the active roster if he was taken from our PS

He wasn't taken from the Jets PS.  Jets cut him.  He went through waivers.  He was then a FA.  Jets offered him a PS spot.  So did the Panthers.  He chose to sign with the Panthers.

I don't blame him.  If the lights ever do go on for him, he has a lot bettr chance to replace Darnold then he does Wilson.

He's been on a team with both QB's so he probably has a clear view in his mind who's better.  He made the right choice.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He wasn't taken from the Jets PS.  Jets cut him.  He went through waivers.  He was then a FA.  Jets offered him a PS spot.  So did the Panthers.  He chose to sign with the Panthers.

I don't blame him.  If the lights ever do go on for him, he has a lot bettr chance to replace Darnold then he does Wilson.

He's been on a team with both QB's so he probably has a clear view in his mind who's better.  He made the right choice.

Once again, I was responding to someone who said he had to be put on their active 53.  

I know he was cut, went through FA etc

I would go to Carolina too.  Sams in his 4th season, he plays like he has in the first 3 he's gone.  Wilson is in year one, even if he's bad he gets more time

• Upvote 1