JD Press Conference 9/1

kdels62

isn't austin on his contract year?  even if he was better than the younger the guys the jets would probably lose him after this season.  since they are probably thinking they're not making the play offs what's the point?  now austin can latch on with another team and hopefully have some success with a contender.  the jets will have their cornerback core the way they want them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Frankly, I don’t think bless is JD or Saleh’s type of player because he’s undisciplined and tends to mouth off without backing it up with a high level of play on the field.

I say this is the reason... most likely they found him not as coach-able

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jetstream said:

I say this is the reason... most likely they found him not as coach-able

“I come to camp looking forward to getting my next contract,” Austin said. “I don’t worry about who’s starting or none of that. I think I’m the real deal. There’s no secret to that.“

An attempt of addition by subtraction if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I mean his answer is right there. The players THEY drafted. If Bless was a Douglas pick he is still in the roster.

Can't you read between the lines?  He wasn't good enough to keep.  They cut him because he wasn't good enough.

Maybe Quinnen Williams should be cut because he wasn't a Joe Douglas draft pick?  

I don't think so!

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He was objectively better than some of other CB's we kept. 

All gas!  No brake!

That is not just a slogan.  If Bless had the talent as you suggest, then there can be other reasons why he was cut.  Perhaps his effort wasn't good enough.  Maybe he was lackadaisical.  Maybe Bless thought that he deserved the starting job because of his enormous talent.

He could have been better in one sense, and not nearly as good in another sense.  

In Joe Douglas we must trust.  I know I do.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, Wit said:

He wasn’t also saddled with a human wrecking ball as his head coach. It wasn’t the other way around .

Joe Douglas has been here 3 years.  Two drafts, three free agency periods.

And he inherited a rebuild-in-progress where Mike Maccagnan had already started gutting the roster and stockpiling draft capital per the orders of Christopher Johnson in 2017.

And he had more time than any GM in NFL history to prepare for his first draft having been hired right after the draft.

And his 2020 draft looks terrible.  And his table-scraps approach to free agency looks terrible.

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

And he inherited a rebuild-in-progress where Mike Maccagnan had already started gutting the roster and stockpiling draft capital per the orders of Christopher Johnson in 2017.

And he had more time than any GM in NFL history to prepare for his first draft having been hired right after the draft.

And his 2020 draft looks terrible.  And his table-scraps approach to free agency looks terrible.

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

Was he given a head coach? You can try and compile talent but he had a terrible scouting department and head coach. He literally crushed the team last year with his ineptitude. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I

No really I’m all aboard with bathe whole mandate, quick question though, if we don’t win 8 games this year do we move to London? Or is it more of an apocalypse scenario, aliens show up to put us out of our collective misery cuz we finish 4th in the division instead of 3rd, or something we create like idk starting WWIII with the storming of Florham Park? I mean I guess we should just fire Douglas but I don’t see how New York Jets football can continue if we don’t win 8 games this year dammit. 

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I was all aboard the "Backup QBs don't matter" train until Luke Falk @PHI happened.

That's not the sort of horror any fan should have to witness.

I was at that game.  Worst Jets showing I’ve ever experienced (had season tickets for all of Kotites tenure).  Absolutely no shot to win or even compete in that game.  Stole my money 

Query, why couldn’t JD pull off a trade of Bless Austin? Was no team willing to even give a 6th round draft pick for a corner on his rookie contract that started 16 games? There is more to Austin’s waiver than JD is acknowledging, and it’s consistent with his history of never saying anything negative about a player, even when it’s warranted.

• Upvote 2

Query, why couldn’t JD pull off a trade of Bless Austin? Was no team willing to even give a 6th round draft pick for a corner on his rookie contract that started 16 games? There is more to Austin’s waiver than JD is acknowledging, and it’s consistent with his history of never saying anything negative about a player, even when it’s warranted.

Why would any team give anything of value for Bless?
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

DecisivePoisedHochstettersfrog.webp

Don't want to hear your voice if you don't get 8 wins minimum, Joe. 

This ain't your 1st year.  It's your 3rd.

SAR I

Question for you on your "8 wins" mandate.

Consider the two following scenarios, and tell me which you would prefer:

1) We win 8 games, mostly against the weaker teams on our schedule. Margin of victory is mostly <7 points and they could have gone either way. In our 9 losses we have flashbacks to Gase last year - 20+ point losses are common, and we were never in the games at any point. But we get 8 wins.

2) We win 4 games, mostly against the weaker teams on our schedule. Margin of victory is decent in each and we never really looked like losing them. In the rest of our games, the majority of our losses are close losses - we are in the games at the death and they could have gone either way. None of our losses are by more than 14 points. But we only win 4 games.

Which do you feel shows more progress? Which do you feel shows a better team, and one that will contend in 2022?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Question for you on your "8 wins" mandate.

Consider the two following scenarios, and tell me which you would prefer:

1) We win 8 games, mostly against the weaker teams on our schedule. Margin of victory is mostly <7 points and they could have gone either way. In our 9 losses we have flashbacks to Gase last year - 20+ point losses are common, and we were never in the games at any point. But we get 8 wins.

2) We win 4 games, mostly against the weaker teams on our schedule. Margin of victory is decent in each and we never really looked like losing them. In the rest of our games, the majority of our losses are close losses - we are in the games at the death and they could have gone either way. None of our losses are by more than 14 points. But we only win 4 games.

Which do you feel shows more progress? Which do you feel shows a better team, and one that will contend in 2022?

We have been rebuilding since Suck For Sam in 2017.  If our new GM did a better job in 2020 we would be looking at playoffs.  So I reject your premise outright.  

We expect both 8 wins and looking competitive in every game.  We didn’t need to become an expansion team.  That wasn’t the intent.  Douglas gutted the team and hasn’t filled the holes he himself created.   

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We have been rebuilding since Suck For Sam in 2017.  If our new GM did a better job in 2020 we would be looking at playoffs.  So I reject your premise outright.  

We expect both 8 wins and looking competitive in every game.  We didn’t need to become an expansion team.  That wasn’t the intent.  Douglas gutted the team and hasn’t filled the holes he himself created.   

SAR I

"We"?  :D  

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

And he took a 7 win team built by a moron and turned it into a 2 win team that most think can only be capable of 5 wins this year.;

That's one sh-t resume.

SAR I