TJ Watt

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/08/clock-ticks-toward-midnight-for-steelers-t-j-watt/

As it relates to the T.J. Watt contract impasse, the clock is striking 12. Literally.

The Steelers will practice today at roughly 12:15 p.m. ET. If Watt doesn’t have a new deal, he may not be there. If he’s not there, he may not play on Sunday.

The problem continues to be the refusal of the team to abandon its refusal to fully guarantee money beyond the first year of a veteran deal. Apparently, the Steelers don’t want to set a new precedent for Watt.

But here’s the reality. If/when another player says, “But you did it for T.J. Watt!” the response would be, “Play like T.J. Watt, and we’ll do it for you.”

Stay tuned to PFT throughout the day for news on whether the Steelers do, or don’t, figure out how to end an unexpectedly protracted hold-in from one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

Unlikely, sure. 

What would be an appropriate price to pay to acquire TJ Watt in a trade should this holdout continue?

Jamal Ad....no wait, that's not right.

But really...I'd send them both 2022 1st rounders plus our 2nd from CAR.

And it still wouldn't be nearly enough to make them answer the phone.

What's odd is that PIT has plenty of cap space.  So either Watt is asking for Mahomes money or they are being oddly stubborn. 

• Upvote 1

If we could negotiate a new contract as part of making the deal, I'd give quite up a lot for Watt.  Maybe not a Khalil Mack or Jamal Adams (lol) package of picks if we could avoid it, but a lot. 

He's elite, and exactly the kind of talented EDGE we'd need to be looking for with our first pick in 2022 anyways.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Watt wants to be paid like a QB. He's amazing. Don't get me wrong, but I have my doubts any DE is worth 28 mill a year until the cap goes up a fair amount. 

I think it would be difficult to pay a full roster with that and a QB salary. The Jets have Zach's rookie deal which means they could swing it I guess, but even in year 5, that rookie deal isn't the same level of bargain. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

No, no, no, no.

Instead we wait until Pittsburgh blunders and lets him become an unrestricted free agent.  Then we pounce and he goes on to have a HOF career playing more than 20 years . . .

Hey Pittsburgh, you owe us.

Steelers aren’t letting him go for nothing. No way

33 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Watt wants to be paid like a QB. He's amazing. Don't get me wrong, but I have my doubts any DE is worth 28 mill a year until the cap goes up a fair amount. 

I think it would be difficult to pay a full roster with that and a QB salary. The Jets have Zach's rookie deal which means they could swing it I guess, but even in year 5, that rookie deal isn't the same level of bargain. 

Steelers window is about to get shut if it already isn’t.  Ben looked beyond cooked last month of last season — once he retires which is probably after this season they need to blow it up and rebuild

Trading Watt to us for picks would be a nice start

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we could negotiate a new contract as part of making the deal, I'd give quite up a lot for Watt.  Maybe not a Khalil Mack or Jamal Adams (lol) package of picks if we could avoid it, but a lot. 

He's elite, and exactly the kind of talented EDGE we'd need to be looking for with our first pick in 2022 anyways.

I'd say it would take almost exactly what it took to get Mack.

Both are coming off age 26 seasons.   Mack had 40 sacks in his first 4 seasons, TJ has 49 in his first 4 seasons.   My only question is can he play RDE at 250ish pounds, rather than OLB.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I'd say it would take almost exactly what it took to get Mack.

Both are coming off age 26 seasons.   Mack had 40 sacks in his first 4 seasons, TJ has 49 in his first 4 seasons.   My only question is can he play RDE at 250ish pounds, rather than OLB.

Saleh was an assistant in Seattle for 3 years where they ran a 3-4

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/08/clock-ticks-toward-midnight-for-steelers-t-j-watt/

Unlikely, sure. 

What would be an appropriate price to pay to acquire TJ Watt in a trade should this holdout continue?

Shaq Lawson + next year's 1st rounder    + Dan Feeney

(Do you think they'll notice we sneak Feeney in there?)

• Haha 1