Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity

JetNation

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Denzel Mims

Denzel Mims’ relationship with the New York Jets has been a strange one through his first season-plus as a pro, and it took another turn for the worse in the Jets season-opening 19-14 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Having spent the entire off-season buried on the depth chart despite showing big play potential as a rookie, Mims had a strong showing in the pre-season when given the opportunity and was in position for a significant role against the Panthers this Sunday with both Keelan Cole and Jamison Crowder on the shelf.

The result?  Mims didn’t see a single target until late in the fourth quarter.  All he did was haul in Zach Wilson’s longest completion of the day with a 40-yard grab.

Meanwhile, Braxton Berrios, Jeff Smith, Ryan Griffin and Tyler Croft combined for nineteen total targets with none of them coming close to a chunk play as big as Mims on his lone opportunity.

The handling of Mims defies logic at this point.  Even if the receiver isn’t a “great fit” for the Jets offensive scheme, it’s up to Mike LaFleur and company to find ways to get a 6′ 4” receiver with game-breaking speed and strong hands involved in the offense.  We saw from Mims last season that he’s not afraid to go over the middle, is more than capable of picking up yards after the catch and is far more than what some viewed as a “one trick pony” who was only capable of running “go” routes.

If it turns out the Jets have brought another offensive coordinator on board who refuses to play his best players due to personal preference and not ability or production, things could get ugly in a hurry.

The post Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/nkaGEofk7OQ

Click here to read the full story...

What os absurd is the notion that Mims is not part of this problem. I'm not sure what it is keeping him off the field but my guess is Mims is just a big dumb athlete that is not buying into what the Jets are asking the WR's to do. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Mims did something to piss off the new coaching staff.  He’s in their doghouse clearly

I have to wonder, or maybe just hoping, that maybe Mims still isn't there yet, and they are working him in slowly and giving him a few opportunities to shine. Also, if he is having problem with separation and route running, there are limited plays for him and the long ball requires that Zach gets enough time. Hopefully as Zack gets more time and Mims continues to produce, he will get more opportunities.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

I have to wonder, or maybe just hoping, that maybe Mims still isn't there yet, and they are working him in slowly and giving him a few opportunities to shine. Also, if he is having problem with separation and route running, there are limited plays for him and the long ball requires that Zach gets enough time. Hopefully as Zack gets more time and Mims continues to produce, he will get more opportunities.

I think something is to that but there is also an interpersonal issue between Mims and Lafleur and/or Saleh

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He made a nice catch when he was wide open.  Made zero effort to get into the end zone.  I thought the guy looked like he dogged it on his one big catch. 

His pirouette out of bounds must look infuriating to CS and teammates in film room today.

I saw effort problems on his college tape.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

His pirouette out of bounds must look infuriating to CS and teammates in film room today.

I saw effort problems on his college tape.  

Watching the Chiefs Browns game it struck me how you had to attempt to murder a ball carrier to get them on the ground and I thought of the Mims play. Just weird 

• Sympathy 1

I was just thinking that Mims situation sort of reminds me of Braylon Edwards situation. 

Both seem to be solid 2/bordeline #1 receivers on the field.

But both also seem to be shy, somewhat socially awkward socially guys. I think that coaches don't react to that well.

Look at Rex he loved Santonio largely because he was this aggressive extrovert with off field question marks but Rex loved that he was good with kids. And he had the SB catch. But Edwards was a better player and they chose Holmes over Edwards.

This situation reminds me of that. Mims is probably not super high energy or loud at practice and coaches take that as lack of effort.

The only real explanation for Mims is personality/social I think.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I was just thinking that Mims situation sort of reminds me of Braylon Edwards situation. 

Both seem to be solid 2/bordeline #1 receivers on the field.

But both also seem to be shy, somewhat socially awkward socially guys. I think that coaches don't react to that well.

Look at Rex he loved Santonio largely because he was this aggressive extrovert with off field question marks but Rex loved that he was good with kids. And he had the SB catch. But Edwards was a better player and they chose Holmes over Edwards.

This situation reminds me of that. Mims is probably not super high energy or loud at practice and coaches take that as lack of effort.

The only real explanation for Mims is personality/social I think.

Sucking at football is also possible 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Origen said:

Jiminy Christmas people, when you make a catch and then see that you stepped out of bounds you don't just keep pretending like it can become a touchdown pass if you try hard enough.  He knew he was down.  The ref knew he was down.  The other team knew he was down.  It wasn't a freaking "lack of will" to score, it's called having eyes and the ability to see where the sideline is and knowing you stepped out.  Damn...

I suggest you watch the play again.

He stepped out BECAUSE he didn’t even try to get into the end zone.  It was not that Mims stopped advancing because he stepped out.   Many of us clearly saw it that way. 

A player in that situation needs to find his balance, and fight to the pylon… whatever it takes.  NOT do a little dancing twirl and step out of bounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s what annoys me about how the Jets are handling Mims.

1.Joe Douglas has torn apart the roster in his 2 1/2 years here. He got rid of Robby, Leo, Adams and Sam. Okay, fine. You better hit on your picks then. So far… not  so much

2. His first draft looks epically bad this morning. I’m sorry, there isn’t any other way to put it. Aside from Zach, who absolutely must turn out to be who we hope he is, tell me… what other Douglas pick from this draft looks like a difference maker?

3. The Mantra here and from the team is that we’re going to go with young players, coach them up, and build a new culture. Coach up Mims. Guys like Berrios, Crowder and Smith are fine, but they’ll be gone by the time this team is ready to contend.

4. We all say we’re not expecting a lot of wins this year. All we’re hoping to see a team that improves as the year goes on and the kids gain experience. Give Mims experience, please.

How can we claim those 4 points are our mission statement and then bury the #2 pick from last years draft? It makes no sense. He’s healthy, put him out there, otherwise what are we doing here?

Great post, I agree totally.  On one hand, you didnt want veterans around on certain positions for reps and on the other, you sign Davis, restructure Crowder, sign Cole, keep Smith and Berrios who all takes reps from Mims and Moore.  Then you have Tevin Coleman starting asking him to do things he can not do taking reps from Carter, Perrine, Johnson.  Confusing, to say the least. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

He stepped out BECAUSE he didn’t even try to get into the end zone.  It was not that Mims stopped advancing because he stepped out.   Many of us clearly saw it that way. 

A player in that situation needs to find his balance, and fight to the pylon… whatever it takes.  NOT do a little dancing twirl and step out of bounds.

Hey, right back at ya-

He caught the ball turns and runs and gets caught by the DB who had momentum, spun him and his foot went out of bounds.  End of play.   He should have kept fighting and everyone would have just given him the TD for his effort?  Jeezus at least pretend to watch stuff before saying it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Saleh was asked why Mims didnt play in his press conference today.  Now he threw out some nonsense about the guys ahead of him werent tired and didnt need to come out but then he let it slip.  He mentioned that mims doesnt know all the receiving positions.  It was a nice way of saying that Mims isnt bright and just cant pick up this playbook.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

It's good to see all of the elite athletes weighing in on what Mims shoulda done, and what they would have done in his place....

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1