Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity

JetNation

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

This is a classic example of overcoaching.

Do these coaches want to win games?  Find a way to make it work and get your talent on the damn field.  We aren't winning with Braxton Berrios out there, even though I like Berrios.

Disagree 1000%

You think Parcells or Belichick would play a guy that doesn’t know the playbook?   Harbaugh?  Payton?  Reid?  Saban?   Those guys are the best at what they do…

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It not sure how you can disagree with me. It’s not opinion based. His foot was out our bounds before that little skinny thing he did. 
but otherwise I agree with your second point. We don’t know what it is, the coaches aren’t telling us but something’s up.

My guess, with the fan uproar over him not playing you‘ll hear a “ leak” as to what’s going on.  

Yep.  The addition of Douglas and the subtraction of Manish has really screwed us all up...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

I would've leapt over the defender, doing three separate triple pirouettes and soared right into the endzone where I slam dunk the football on the field goal post, knocking it down and causing all the lights in Bank of America Stadium to explode.

But that's just me.

Shattering the backboard!  Slo-Mo of the glass falling to the ground around you and the picture flashes bounce off each crystal and shoot rainbows into the sky.   Or something...

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

But this isn’t a college team.  Mims makes big plays.  At what point are they simply cutting their nose to spite their face by not playing him?  Instead of harping on what mims can’t do, why not exploit what he can do?  He’s 6’4” with an incredible wingspan.  If this coaching staff can’t figure out how to get this guy the ball and help wilson, i have little faith in them.

This.   Folks want to be right so bad that Mims is no good.  I really don't understand this fan base and really scratching my head regarding the CS staff.  All I know is whenever we have thrown the ball his way, he has usually caught it and broke a tackle or two.  The guy is a physical mis-match for most dbs and we refuse to exploit this.   Even on the second two point conversion, how about lofting one up and letting him go up and get it?   That is something you can't teach; why are we not trying to take advantage of this?

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

This.   Folks want to be right so bad that Mims is no good.  I really don't understand this fan base and really scratching my head regarding the CS staff.  All I know is whenever we have thrown the ball his way, he has usually caught it and broke a tackle or two.  The guy is a physical mis-match for most dbs and we refuse to exploit this.   Even on the second two point conversion, how about lofting one up and letting him go up and get it?   That is something you can't teach; why are we not trying to take advantage of this?

Agreed.

And to the Parcells point, he had a great saying - "everyone will be treated fairly, but not everyone will be treated the same."  Im not saying Mims is some established veteran, he isnt but when he gets on the field, he seems to make big plays.  

It also seemed like from Saleh's comments that they want the WRs to know X, Z and slot which is probably not as easy for some guys.  So if Mims excels at X or Z, and the other players have had an easier time learning all 3, then move THEM and put him in the spot that he knows best.  I get that we dont want to make exceptions and have all the players work hard, etc but find what the kid does well and let him do it.  Seems pretty easy to me.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Origen said:

Shattering the backboard!  Slo-Mo of the glass falling to the ground around you and the picture flashes bounce off each crystal and shoot rainbows into the sky.   Or something...

Then Beyonce jumps over the stands and runs onto the field and jumps into my arms as we embrace with a long, passionate kiss.

• Haha 2

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Teach him! Play him and use the routes he knows. Then build on it from there.

I agree with you i think it’s stupid.  Clearly the guy can have an impact on games and here you have a rookie qb with good deep ball accuracy and you keep mims on the bench.  Why draft these guys if you’re not going to play them?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Is Coleman some elite pass blocker? I didn’t see it but I can’t figure any other reason he sniffs the field. He is bad. Ty Johnson must have missed some blocks or something because wtf

Not sure but I pretty sure Coleman missed a block that led to a sack.  He's terrible though, not sure why he was named the starter.  He's a 3rd down receiving back they were trying to run up the gut.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Not sure but I pretty sure Coleman missed a block that led to a sack.  He's terrible though, not sure why he was named the starter.  He's a 3rd down receiving back they were trying to run up the gut.

The concept that veterans will help the rookie qb.  You know what helps wilson, having a line that can block someone, and having wrs who can make plays like mims.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

There was a play where Ty released into the right flat, ran right by a free rusher, I mean like inches from the backer, and Wilson got blasted in the back from the blind side.  I don’t know if Johnson was supposed to pick him up, or Wilson was supposed to recognize it was coming.    They did put Johnson back in the game after that… 

I have heard color guys mention sometimes the QB or RB can be at fault in a situation like that.  Beyond my Xs and Os understanding but it looked bad.

True, I remember that. I just rewatched the game and Ty got a few carries, as did MC, in the first half but basically none of the RBs looked too good. Hopefully that improves. 

Mims needs to be in there alot more- it is insane. 

he is crazy talented. there are routes he can run i am sure of it... 

PS

if he wanted he probably could have went beast mode and scored on that catch as well. he was a little lax which does not bode well for him...

anyway, still think he needs to be out there MUCH MORE

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. 
They would find a way to get their best players in the field.

Parcells tells the classic story of how LT as a rookie,  used forget his assignments and would just say "F it" and either rush the passer or chase down the running back.  He would come to the sidelines and Parcells would say, "what the hell was that?  That wasn't what I asked you to do."  LT would say, "you're right coach, sorry", go back on the field forget his assignment again, sack the quarterback and cause a fumble.  Parcells would just shake his head.... 

Parcells was smart enough to let his impact player figure things out because he was causing havok on the field and disrupting the other teams gameplan.  Not saying Mims is LT but he is clearly a tremendously talented player and has looked good whenever we have gotten him the ball.   Sometimes Coaches forget that it is talent that makes the difference in this league.  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except when he has been on the field he has not sucked. In fact he has consistently NOT sucked.

I’ve been a Mims truther all off season. Just laughing at those who think “the only explanation is that the OC has something against him personally.” It’s more likely that he’s not doing something well. I posit his route tree is a vine. He’s a situational deep threat/jump ball guy right now.

8 minutes ago, longsuffering88 said:

Mims needs to be in there alot more- it is insane. 

he is crazy talented. there are routes he can run i am sure of it... 

PS

if he wanted he probably could have went beast mode and scored on that catch as well. he was a little lax which does not bode well for him...

anyway, still think he needs to be out there MUCH MORE

As has been pointed out over and over, when the DB spun him around, his foot touched the sideline so he was already out of bounds. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Well you know what, they got their asses kicked in the first half on offense.  No points.  No red zone and only a few plays in carolina territory.  If the coaching staff wants to hand out gold stars to who learns every wr position and that dictates playing time, well, they better produce.  Nobody cares about how many positions mims knows.

Meanwhile, Elijah Moore...

20210913_211858.thumb.jpg.b054070b05badfa055884a045fbc5a81.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, kmnj said:

berrios is a better player and showed it again yesterday-

berrios is a jaq but plays with heart and more and more I think the jets should roll with berrios more when he is in he makes things happen-he is a poor mans wayne chrebet

You are out of your mind lol. 

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Parcells tells the classic story of how LT as a rookie,  used forget his assignments and would just say "F it" and either rush the passer or chase down the running back.  He would come to the sidelines and Parcells would say, "what the hell was that?  That wasn't what I asked you to do."  LT would say, "you're right coach, sorry", go back on the field forget his assignment again, sack the quarterback and cause a fumble.  Parcells would just shake his head.... 

Parcells was smart enough to let his impact player and figure things out because he was causing havok on the field and disrupting the other teams gameplan.  Not saying Mims is LT but he is clearly a tremendously talented player and has looked good whenever we have gotten him the ball.   Sometimes Coaches forget that it is talent that makes the difference in this league.  

Great point.  People sometime go over the top on character and intangibles vs. going with guys who can just ball...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kmnj said:

berrios is a better player and showed it again yesterday-

berrios is a jaq but plays with heart and more and more I think the jets should roll with berrios more when he is in he makes things happen-he is a poor mans wayne chrebet

Berrios  is more like a poor hands Wayne chrebet. I get what you’re saying. Berrios just wants to play and desire can make up for talent.  As for Mims let’s not lose sight that ladleful is also a newbie at his position and no doubt wants to run his system.  It may work and if 20 of the offensive guys get it should he change it to suit Mims? Maybe not.  Mims is big and fast and should quite a good target for Wilson. Maybe ladleful will change things based on the game tape.

If you saw Salah's press conference yesterday, he answered the Mims riddle. He said that before they can put Mims in a game, the coaching staff needs to be confident that Mims knows the X, Y and Z receiver positions in full detail. It sounded to me like Mims might be mentally slow or is lazy learning the playbook. Maybe that is why dropped out of the first round in the draft and was falling in the 2nd round.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:15 AM, JetNation said:

The handling of Mims defies logic at this point.  Even if the receiver isn’t a “great fit” for the Jets offensive scheme, it’s up to Mike LaFleur and company to find ways to get a 6′ 4” receiver with game-breaking speed and strong hands involved in the offense.  We saw from Mims last season that he’s not afraid to go over the middle, is more than capable of picking up yards after the catch and is far more than what some viewed as a “one trick pony” who was only capable of running “go” routes.

If it turns out the Jets have brought another offensive coordinator on board who refuses to play his best players due to personal preference and not ability or production, things could get ugly in a hurry.

Gotta love the presumption that Mims is "one of our best players" and is a "gamebreaker" without any actual evidence as-yet to prove that out.

Fans gonna Fan, he caught one pass, he must be an All-Pro and only the stupid Coaches (probably that horrible Owner!) is holding him back.

Somehow it never occurs to you that he is where he has earned so far under Saleh/LaFleur.  That he hasn't earned more playing time, and was beaten out by other players in camp and practice and preseason.

But sure, I get it, you know more than the Coaching staff.  It's a shock we didn't just hire you, eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gotta love the presumption that Mims is "one of our best players" and is a "gamebreaker" without any actual evidence as-yet to prove that out.

Fans gonna Fan, he caught one pass, he must be an All-Pro and only the stupid Coaches (probably that horrible Owner!) is holding him back.

Somehow it never occurs to you that he is where he has earned so far under Saleh/LaFleur.  That he hasn't earned more playing time, and was beaten out by other players in camp and practice and preseason.

But sure, I get it, you know more than the Coaching staff.  It's a shock we didn't just hire you, eh?

Thats true but these players that beat him out in camp sucked and dropped balls in the game. He caught a ball in the game, give the kid a Chance  next game. Plus, we need something Belicheck didn’t see much of last game, like a secret weapon or some shit, 

15 hours ago, Biggs said:

I watched it again.  Disagree with you.  Would love to see him step up.  There’s obviously something wrong between him and the staff.  Would love to see him developer into something special.  He clearly has tools.  Might have low T.  

I’ll post these pics again….  Catch, spin and pushed out.  Look closely at them, after the catch he was already out of bounds with his right foot.  Momentum is a bitch, nothing to be done there. Sorry you’re wrong. 

Semper Fi

72F751CE-97C1-49EF-A66E-9F3A759BD905.png

19651F40-A896-491B-B07D-A81DCD246A52.png

875ED8DE-3342-42CC-B6B8-FA04C9BB957F.png

1 minute ago, fastmover said:

I’ll post these pics again….  Catch, spin and pushed out.  Look closely at them, after the catch he was already out of bounds with his right foot.  Momentum is a bitch, nothing to be done there. Sorry you’re wrong. 

Semper Fi

72F751CE-97C1-49EF-A66E-9F3A759BD905.png

19651F40-A896-491B-B07D-A81DCD246A52.png

875ED8DE-3342-42CC-B6B8-FA04C9BB957F.png

There was nothing wrong with Mims effort on that play,  he made a good catch along the sidelines and his DB pushed him out

Free him

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Disagree 1000%

You think Parcells or Belichick would play a guy that doesn’t know the playbook?   Harbaugh?  Payton?  Reid?  Saban?   Those guys are the best at what they do…

Agreed. Kyle Shanahan didn't even let Trey Sermon be active this past week and had Brandon Aiyuk on punt coverage while starting an undrafted Trent Sherfield over him. And Aiyuk was actually really good last year.  

These coaches see things we don't. They see mistakes in practice that they don't want to see in a game.  It's up to Mims to win the starting job, it's not the coaches job to just start a kid that hasn't earned it......yet. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. Kyle Shanahan didn't even let Trey Sermon be active this past week and had Brandon Aiyuk on punt coverage while starting an undrafted Trent Sherfield over him. And Aiyuk was actually really good last year.  

These coaches see things we don't. They see mistakes in practice that they don't want to see in a game.  It's up to Mims to win the starting job, it's not the coaches job to just start a kid that hasn't earned it......yet. 

Yeah but Kyle Shanahan had a just as good if not better rookie rb to play over Sermon

We have Elijah Moore who can’t catch covid

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Thats true but these players that beat him out in camp sucked and dropped balls in the game. He caught a ball in the game, give the kid a Chance  next game. Plus, we need something Belicheck didn’t see much of last game, like a secret weapon or some sh*t, 

No.  Chances are earned, not given.

If Mims cannot earn the playing time, I'm not giving it to him anyway just to placate fans.  

Maybe it should tell you something that Mims can't beat out those dropsy players (like Moore, who this board utterly loved and thought was gonna win RotY this year ffs, this place....), and is still relegated to backup status for now.

And let's be clear, NFL Coaches play the best players as they see it.  They're not idiots, they don't sit players out of spite or other dumb reasons, that's cutting off their own nose to spite their face.  

If Saleh/LaFluer are not starting/playing Mims, it's because they don't think he's the best player at that position right now.

Don't get mad at the Coaches, get mad at Mims for sucking in practice/camp or otherwise showing the staff he isn't worthy of the playing time.

With Moore's drops and Mims one catch, I'd expect to see more of Mims and a little less of Moore on Sunday.  We're see if that happens, and if Mims does anything with that opportunity.

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Parcells was smart enough to let his impact player figure things out because he was causing havok on the field and disrupting the other teams gameplan.  Not saying Mims is LT but he is clearly a tremendously talented player and has looked good whenever we have gotten him the ball.   Sometimes Coaches forget that it is talent that makes the difference in this league.  

LT was the best player on the Giants the first day he walked into camp.  LT wasn't a 2nd round talented WR.  He was the best defender in the NFL the day he was drafted.  LT needed very little coaching.  The coaches needed to figure out how to get out of his way.