How long does it take to fix a offensive line?

Guilhermezmc

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If you draft the way Mangini and Tanny did and you use FA the way Mangini and Tanny did, you have an elite offensive line in a year.  Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody.   If you draft and use FA the way JD has, you never fix the line.  You just kill your new 1st round QB. 

Good point. Tanny built a legit line. We have done this before 

14 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

The chargers were ranked bottom five in pretty much every offensive line category last year.

To put into context they gave up 196 pressures which ranked 2 worse last year, the Jets for how bad they were gave up almost 40 pressures less than that.

From their 5 starters last year Sam Tevi (LT), Forrest Lamp (LG), Dan Feeney (C), Trai Turner (RG) and Bryan Bulaga (RT) the only one who remains is Bryan Bulaga.

Dan Feeney had a PFF grade of 48.2 that year to solve that they went all out and got the best ranked center in the NFL in Corey Linsley  while the Jets went for their sh*tty ex-center, who shouldn't even make a NFL team to be honest.

Edit: So to answer your question, yes they did have.

Have no clue which Chargers team youre looking at.  They were like 9th in yards last year.  Their QB set every rookie record.  4300 yards and 31 TDS?  They had K Allan and others at WR.

They were a 7 win team with a rookie QB.  

They had nowhere near the holes the Jets had to fix in one off season.  Fans actually believe you can flip an OL, WRs and whoever in one offseason.  Then after one game go off the deep end.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Have no clue which Chargers team youre looking at.  They were like 9th in yards last year.  Their QB set every rookie record.  4300 yards and 31 TDS?  They had K Allan and others at WR.

They were a 7 win team with a rookie QB.  

They had nowhere near the holes the Jets had to fix in one off season.  Fans actually believe you can flip an OL, WRs and whoever in one offseason.  Then after one game go off the deep end.

You don't need to trust me go look the stats for yourself. 

Yes their rookie QB is the real deal he did all that with one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Pressured in 28.5% of his snaps, 72 hits, 90 hurries.

I mean why would you let go of 4 starters right?

image.png.047a07b1b9184d6703bd02f40eca34ac.png

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

You don't need to trust me go look the stats for yourself. 

Yes their rookie QB is the real deal he did all that with one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Pressured in 28.5% of his snaps, 72 hits, 90 hurries.

I mean why would you let go of 4 starters right?

image.png.047a07b1b9184d6703bd02f40eca34ac.png

Which changes nothing about which team had more holes to fix in the past off season.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

If you draft the way Mangini and Tanny did and you use FA the way Mangini and Tanny did, you have an elite offensive line in a year.  Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody.   If you draft and use FA the way JD has, you never fix the line.  You just kill your new 1st round QB. 

JD is too cute.  He tries too hard to get bargains.   he should have drafted 4 OL, not the 4 3rd and 4th round whiffs 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think there may be a little more to adding pieces for us. Like installing a new system this year and guys out of camp not getting reps. Plus snap retirements and  guys injured.

But Joe Ds fantasy of building through the draft is getting tiresome. I still remember the difference a year made once we added Big Red between Mangold and Brick. Adding Feeney this year may be the biggest clue to how bad Douglas really is at this. 

happy kat dennings GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Personnel wise our o-line is probably just a good center away. McGovern is a better guard than a center and drafting a top C next year would really do a lot. I really think a big part of the problem w1 was everyone being in a new system with a first time offensive coordinator.

Didn't  Gase run a zone blocking scheme? 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think the amount of holes is at issue here. The OL is worse now than it was at the end of last season

Of course it does.  If youre restocking a 7 win team with some talent, you have less holes to fill you can use 3, 4 whatever picks on the OL.  Especially if you knew your OG was going to retire and a backup was going to break his neck. 

Also not the same if you need WRs, RBs, LB/S, and OL.  Better yet someone actually said find an OLman to trade for and make the trade.  Because all you need is to want someone, make them an offer they cant refuse?  

Stop saying nonsense like the OL is worse than last year, you have no idea what this OL will look like once its together a little longer than one whole game.  

• Sympathy 1

Someone on this board, I don’t remember who, actually did a great job before the season last year in putting together an assessment of the OL and concluded that the Jet’s would field the leagues worst OL.  He was pretty much right.

I think we have better personnel this year. MB needs to stay on the field and AVT get some snaps under his belt. They will improve, but I agree they weren’t good the first game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course it does.  If youre restocking a 7 win team with some talent, you have less holes to fill you can use 3, 4 whatever picks on the OL.  Especially if you knew your OG was going to retire and a backup was going to break his neck. 

Also not the same if you need WRs, RBs, LB/S, and OL.  Better yet someone actually said find an OLman to trade for and make the trade.  Because all you need is to want someone, make them an offer they cant refuse?  

Stop saying nonsense like the OL is worse than last year, you have no idea what this OL will look like once its together a little longer than one whole game.  

It's  not nonsense. We lost one guy to retirement. I wouldn't  call Lewis the glue that was holding that unit together. Anyone could see the OL clearly regressed. 

When Rex took over from Mangini, the OL was not a problem like it is now. 

4 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Someone on this board, I don’t remember who, actually did a great job before the season last year in putting together an assessment of the OL and concluded that the Jet’s would field the leagues worst OL.  He was pretty much right.

I think we have better personnel this year. MB needs to stay on the field and AVT get some snaps under his belt. They will improve, but I agree they weren’t good the first game.

I don't  think Becton getting injured is actually  an issue unless you want to account for how bad he played when he was in there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1