Mims comp video and a plea.

Paradis

I sure hope this coaching staff ignores all of the expertise coming from the media and fans. I like Mims, but the coaching staff isn't trying to lose, they're trying to put the players on the field that give this team the best chance of winning. Why are fans so much smarter than them? If the coaches get it wrong, they're fired, they have to move their families. NFL coaching pays well but the pressure is high and the changes are constantly affecting family life. Meaning, Mims is not being targeted nor disliked, he will play if he is the best option. The coaches have made it clear that he has been behind than some of the other receivers in learning the system.

Mims was in the mix Sunday. He didn't get on the field much, because the offense didn't sustain drive so that the coaches were able to start substituting. But he played. He preformed. 

The cream will rise to the top. If he wants it, he will be an absolute professional, learn the system better than the other receivers, become a leader, and become indispensable. In recent months, I have seen more explanations and leeway for why Mims isn't playing or doing well than any other Jets player. He's a big boy, he can make it so either they can't keep him off the field, or he demands a trade, becomes another teams number one, and shoves it up the Jets every time they play him. I've never seen or felt that kind of juice from Mims.

I just don't think the coaches are idiots for not playing him more. Even though some of the experts in Jet Nation disagree.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Guys we have a very good WR Corp. Enough with Mims already. I get everyone is frustrated because he's a second round pick and they want to feel justified in drafting him. But let me repeat. WE HAVE A GOOD WR CORP. 

We don't need him. Let him develop or let him fail, it's up to him. There isn't some coaches conspiracy to keep him out. Others are better right now, period. 

JD's pride of authorship with his draft picks, otherwise Mims who I had high hopes for wold be prep team.  I think we all see now why he fell.  We thought this could be a great value pick, but there were obvious reasons that other GMs passed. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Mims was in the mix Sunday. He didn't get on the field much, because the offense didn't sustain drive so that the coaches were able to start substituting. But he played. He preformed. 

I saw a "level up" sparkle above your head. Good point.

31 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Two different animals. Berrios played well, maybe poor man’s Chrebet? Mims is rich man’s Braylon Edwards! 

24 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Apparantly not as a slot receiver he isnt

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Kind of different roles.

Berrios is actually pretty good in the slot, I don't honestly know how much Mims plays/likes the slot.

Understood Mims is not a slot WR. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I saw a "level up" sparkle above your head. Good point.

Jamison Crowder said that if this offense gets rolling, which it won't if the protection and quarterback issues don't get fixed, that all the receivers can "eat." Given Mims speed, size, and catch radius, he will be a factor if he can absorb the scheme mentally. 

If Zach and the offense get the passing timing down, and if the running game gets somewhat going, it's pretty exiting what these receivers might be able to do. CD, Mims, and Berrios had good plays Sunday. EM did not, but the coaching staff is super high on him. And then we have Crowder and Cole coming back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Did anyone notice.....not one broken tackle..that's why he isn't playing. Doesn't know the scheme and the extra effort Saleh wants Mims isn't giving.

And I'm a Mims supporter. I just dont see the extra effort and desire to be the best.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

Right, and aren't the coaches constantly seeing preparation and effort in practice and film sessions. Saleh harps that his "all gas" approach has to do with the effort a player puts into all the details every day. I think the coaches even care about how a player walks in the building and whether they seem mediocre or not in all the little things. This team is really big on guys fitting the culture and putting in the mental horsepower. I like Mims too, and I don't know this, but if he has a "good enough" attitude, he won't be a fit for this new regime. 

14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Did anyone notice.....not one broken tackle..that's why he isn't playing. Doesn't know the scheme and the extra effort Saleh wants Mims isn't giving.

And I'm a Mims supporter. I just dont see the extra effort and desire to be the best.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

You saw that from the 3 snaps?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alentador31 said:

You aren't showing anything that people don't know. He's obviously talented but if you haven't figured it out....Zach Wilson's development > everything. Period. 

Um...so if Zach Wilson's development > everything.  Period; wouldn't it make sense to put Mims in to help Zach's development by having competent players out there to throw to?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Please explain how 6'3" 4.3 speed guys who can grab contested balls and make plays hurt Zach Wilson's development?  

By running the wrong route and causing turnovers, or worse?  Getting Zach drilled because of a hesitation when seeing Mims is not where he is supposed to be?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

By running the wrong route and causing turnovers, or worse?  Getting Zach drilled because of a hesitation when seeing Mims is not where he is supposed to be?

Plus, are we taking Davis out of the game to get Mims those plays?  

It appears part of Mims challenge is he doesn't know enough to play the other WR positions, where he might be better than the guys playing (Berrios, for example), but he doesn't know the routes enough to be trusted or reliable for Wilson.

I expect Mims to be active, but I expect he'll just spell Davis when Davis needs a breather.  Until he learns the other spots, I doubt we're gonna see him much at Z or slot.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Denzel Mims doesen't run with 4.3 speed in the game because he can't figure out where he is supposed to run to.

I don't get why people are throwing the "you can't coach 4.3, 6'3"" stuff out there. Jamarcus Russel was a physical juggernaut, Vince Young was physically talented. But the physical abilities won't get you there in the NFL, you have to have the other stuff too. I get that Mims can run straight down the field faster than most, but defenses aren't going to let that go unguarded for too long.  

30 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

We're in agreement this Mims stuff is very aggravating. But we're approaching it from completely different angles. My aggravation is not seeing playmakers in the game.  Who says Zach doesn't perform BETTER on off platform/off script throws?  Favre is in the Hall of Fame by exploiting that very thing.  Who says it's better for Zach's development to have a receiver in the right spot who can't gain separation or hold on to the ball vs. playing street ball with a guy who makes catches and has high YAC potential?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1