Will the Jets have a Top 10 defense? (that’s a trick question, they already have one)

jetstream23

Getting no help from the offense, either. They were clearly completely gassed at points of the game against New England.

One of the big weaknesses of the SF defense has been against mobile QB's, so will be interesting to see how well they're able to handle Allen against the Bills. Other than that it's Hurts, maybe Tyrod Taylor if he's healthy and still the Texans' QB, and maybe Tannehill to an extent but the schedule should be reasonably favorable for the defense from that standpoint. 

• Upvote 1

The defense has been fantastic overall and I'm not surprised to see them top 10 in total D. There are only 2 plays that stand out to me as bad and that's the Robby TD and Damien Harris' TD run.

For the Robby TD, we were fresh off an injury and Joyner's replacement got taken advantage of. Harris' TD run is inexcusable - that was really bad.

• Upvote 3

It hasn't been the disaster we expected.  This is good.  

The Jets actually have a pretty easy schedule this year without any powerhouse offenses, no Chiefs, no Bucs, no Packers.  The Bills will be the toughest challenge.  But yeah, defense is doing their part and I'm glad the young guys get some experience without having to go against Tyreek Hill and those caliber receivers for awhile. 

the defense has been playing well.  they were a little shaky in game one first half but have come on since.  imo their worst play was letting harris score.  way too many missed tackles.  but the fact that he was hit at the line means they are at least in the right position to make plays.  as others have said, get this offense on track so they can at least put together some first down strings and even points and the defense can get much better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Like usual, don’t read too much into just 8 quarters of football so far but this is nice to see.  The Jets defense could certainly take a step back, but the offense will also likely take a step forward. Bottom line - it’s still early for both of these units.

The defense is good against the mediocrity we have played let the real test come by later on…. If our eyes are working they can’t tackle very well forget the stats…. It was 8 missed tackles in that run by a back up rb on the pats…. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LEBRICK JAMES said:

The defense is good against the mediocrity we have played let the real test come by later on…. If our eyes are working they can’t tackle very well forget the stats…. It was 8 missed tackles in that run by a back up rb on the pats…. 

That run was one bad play out of 54 plays the Patsie offense ran (excluding penalties).

Rest of the time they were decent.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

That run was one bad play out of 54 plays the Patsie offense ran (excluding penalties).

Rest of the time they were decent.

Like I said 8 missed tackles on a play doesn’t come from a great defense doesn’t matter if it’s 1 out of 54 , it’s still early and there’s injuries so let time tell

• Thumb Down 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, LEBRICK JAMES said:
Like I said 8 missed tackles on a play doesn’t come from a great defense doesn’t matter if it’s 1 out of 54 , it’s still early and there’s injuries so let time tell

Its Top 10 after two weeks, I'd hardly call that a great defense. But only two weeks ago we had threads here proclaiming that we'd be historically bad on defense; the early returns don't support that.

Like you say, time will tell, but I think that more than a few skeptics have been pleasantly surprised to date.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Like usual, don’t read too much into just 8 quarters of football so far but this is nice to see.  The Jets defense could certainly take a step back, but the offense will also likely take a step forward. Bottom line - it’s still early for both of these units.

You know, I started a thread a number of weeks ago predicting that the Jets would be a top 15 defense this year.  Top 5 in run defense, and top 15 defense overall.

I firmly believe that the Jets run defense will absolutely get better.  I am very surprised by the pass defense, but not because I didn't think they would be any good, but because they have been good out of the gate early on in the season.

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

• Upvote 1

Upon re-watching the games, i definitely appreciate how the defense has held up considering the injuries and how 2nd string players have stepped up in their place - Shaq Lawson, Adrian Colbert, Quincy Williams. 

Mosely was FLYING everywhere in the 2nd game and you see how he was more comfortable as he played faster. Nasirildeen has seemed to transition rather well and you see his speed on tape. I LOVE how Carter2 & Echols SPRINT to make the tackle and, again, the SPEED in which they react & fly to assure no YAC. Carter2 even had a few TFLs IIRC. VERY impressed with how the secondary has fared thus far - granted it was Darnold & RookieMac- considering the injuries. JFM also has been adding consistent pressure through hustle & leverage. Quinnen isn’t going to get hot until the rust wares off, but he should eventually kick up his play. Fatukasi = consistently improving & solid draft pick, NYC native, should be extended. 

The defense had us pumped on Sunday, but then the INTS just deflated the crowd and the defense was gassed by then. Heat didn’t help either  

It’s encouraging and this team could resemble Herm Edward’s 2001 NY “Shreks - Win Ugly” Jets team. 

581DDC48-CA03-4FFC-9252-BBBB770129D3.thumb.jpeg.e82178d76406f9aa90f3e96a37d3f908.jpeg

lol

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So far, CBs Hall, Echols, Carter, and Guidry are looking good and grading out well. But, most important are passing the eye test where at least after 2 games I cannot remember the last time I have seen coverage this good in our secondary by the CBs, though a lot of this may also be the scheme/coaching. Hope they can keep it up against all other offenses. If so, we have solved a major problem there and this D mainly just has to continue improving the pass rush and run D with the front 7, which is pretty decent right now.  

The D has definitely beaten my expectations by a lot.  But it helps facing Sam Darnold and Mac Jones in your first 2 games.

Some will laugh but Teddy Bridgewater is going to be a legitimate, difficult challenge for this defense.  I think he has a great day against us in Week 3.  Especially if the offense doesn't improve dramatically.  We can't afford a lot of turnovers and 3-and-outs in Denver.  Defenses get gassed there on GOOD days.  Let alone in games where they're constantly on the field.  

More than ever, Wilson and the coaches will need to focus on making easy completions if the team is going to have a prayer in this one.  Too much YOLO/hero ball will backfire just as much as it did last week.

• Upvote 4

On 9/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The D has definitely beaten my expectations by a lot.  But it helps facing Sam Darnold and Mac Jones in your first 2 games.

Some will laugh but Teddy Bridgewater is going to be a legitimate, difficult challenge for this defense.  I think he has a great day against us in Week 3.  Especially if the offense doesn't improve dramatically.  We can't afford a lot of turnovers and 3-and-outs in Denver.  Defenses get gassed there on GOOD days.  Let alone in games where they're constantly on the field.  

More than ever, Wilson and the coaches will need to focus on making easy completions if the team is going to have a prayer in this one.  Too much YOLO/hero ball will backfire just as much as it did last week.

Teddy will be the toughest of the three QBs the Jets have faced so far, for sure.

I think the Jets D will continue to incrementally improve as they get more comfortable with the system and as QW continues to shake off the rust.  It's pretty clear that this Defensive is predicated on the scheme and the discipline of the defenders moreso than having supreme talent, with the possible exception of edge rushers who are what typically takes a Saleh defense from good to great.

It's hard not to think what this D would look like if Carl Lawson was out there.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

the defense has been surprisingly decent

the offense has been surprisingly terrible

Unfortunately, the league is about scoring points now

This was the concern I had with Saleh. We don't need another Rex saying "Hey, My defense is doing it's job" and then blame the offense for the losses. I am not suggesting Saleh is going to do that, but he did start Jeff Smith over Mims because one was better at special teams. Game planning for punts doesn't seem like the optimal way to build up your QB. (yeah, yeah field position....)

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sorry, but I would say Darnold was the toughest. I know that is like salt in the wound for Jets fans who staked their reputation on him being a bust. 

I mean, this is statistically false based on performance thus far.  Thru 2 games:

Bridgewater

• 4 TDs / 0 INTs
  • 77 % completions
  • 8.5 YPA
  • 120.7 QB Rating
  • 0 Fumbles

Darnold

• 3 TDs / 1 INT
  • 68 % completions
  • 8.0 YPA
  • 100.5 QB Rating
  • 1 Fumble

The Darnold-led offense put up 19 points against the Jets.  I imagine the Bridgewater-led offense can beat that.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, this is statistically false based on performance thus far.  Thru 2 games:

Bridgewater

• 4 TDs / 0 INTs
  • 77 % completions
  • 8.5 YPA
  • 120.7 QB Rating
  • 0 Fumbles

Darnold

• 3 TDs / 1 INT
  • 68 % completions
  • 8.0 YPA
  • 100.5 QB Rating
  • 1 Fumble

At least Darnold beat the Saints who curb stomped the Packers in week 1. He spread the ball around nicely to 8 different skill position players last week. Who's Teddey beat? The Giants and the Jags.

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

At least Darnold beat the Saints who curb stomped the Packers in week 1. He spread the ball around nicely to 8 different skill position players. Who's Teddey beat? The Giants and the Jags.

The Saints aren't that good and were missing multiple starters in their secondary in that Week 2 game.  The Packers were just THAT bad in Week 1 due at least in part to Rodgers not being around all summer.  The Packers showed what they really are in Week 2.  Darnold still played well but let's not pretend that he has played a tough schedule so far.

But by all means, keep carrying that flame for Darnold while we own two of Carolina's draft picks in 2022.  It's a great look for Jets fans these days.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Saints aren't that good and were missing multiple starters in their secondary in that Week 2 game.  The Packers were just THAT bad in Week 1 due at least in part to Rodgers not being around all summer.  The Packers showed what they really are in Week 2.  Darnold still played well but let's not pretend that he has played a tough schedule so far.

But by all means, keep carrying that flame for Darnold while we own two of Carolina's draft picks in 2022.  It's a great look for Jets fans these days.  

Does it really matter where we pick in the 2nd rd and 4th rd? I get it that the higher we pick the more valuable they are, but in all reality those picks are like $10 dollar scratch offs. 

On 9/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, derp said:

Getting no help from the offense, either. They were clearly completely gassed at points of the game against New England.. 

Honeymoon’s over for Zach. He’ll show up this Sunday. That’s the difference between the Sanchez’ and the Wilsons

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Does it really matter where we pick in the 2nd rd and 4th rd? I get it that the higher we pick the more valuable they are, but in all reality those picks are like $10 dollar scratch offs. 

Yes, it does matter.  Picking higher in Rd 2 can very well be the difference between a Dalvin Cook or a Stephen Hill.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Honeymoon’s over for Zach. He’ll show up this Sunday. That’s the difference between the Sanchez’ and the Wilsons

I hope so. I thought he let his emotions get to him last game and would’ve thought he’d have learned mid game but it’d also be bad for him to go into a shell after a mistake. Does seem like he’s constantly self evaluating which is good.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:43 AM, BigRy56 said:

The defense has been fantastic overall and I'm not surprised to see them top 10 in total D. There are only 2 plays that stand out to me as bad and that's the Robby TD and Damien Harris' TD run.

For the Robby TD, we were fresh off an injury and Joyner's replacement got taken advantage of. Harris' TD run is inexcusable - that was really bad.

wasn't it like a couple of plays after the injury.  i give them a pass on that one.

the TD run was bad.