If you are afraid to let your QB throw.

Jet_Engine1

I think that leg brace on his right leg probably effected his running around the pocket, planting, and throwing. After that out-of-bounds sack he was limping around on it pretty good....he said in his presser his knee didn't feel strong but he played through it. A wobbly, loose knee joint would affect anyone, especially a young QB who likes to dance and run around before locking his feet and throwing down field. 

I'm not really sure his knee was ready to play yet.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The short throws he made in his sleep with his eyes closed at BYU.

A big part of the rationale in drafting him was not only does he he a very strong arm and had put quite a few throws on tape that “only Patrick Mahomes could make” was that he was extremely ACCURATE at BYU and although he was not facing any SEC D’s that ACCURACY coupled with the arm strength made many scouts believe that if you have his attributes it doesn’t matter who your competition is....you’re going to be a star.

Personally I’m perplexed at how shaky many of his throws are, to downright awful in the short passing game.  Whether it’s the speed at the pro level or that he needs a therapist, I don’t know.

But he has shown some flashes this year on about 20 throws at the pro level “that Only Patrick Mahomes can make” according to Chris Simms who furthered his statement by saying that he’s “not worried about all the throws he’s missing, he has hit those like clockwork before and he will once again and with more work these problems are easily manageable”....Simms still projects him to be a star at the highest level.

Well said. 

it is strange how bad those short throws are.  But, as you stated it’s never been a problem his entire career. 
I believe it’s in head and the only way to fix it is reps. He needs to play a lot - keep throwing and build his confidence.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys are funny and don't even see it.

Team wins, after the first couple of drives your young QB plays well in his 6th NFL game and comes out with the W...

And y'all can only talk about the QB not being good.

I hope you guys start to see your bias, it's glaring at this point.

It’s really a disaster when a couple of completions count as “playing well.”

He was 14/24 for 145 and the offense was most effective when they just asked him to hand the ball off.

He’s so bad.  But I guess that’s just bias.  Just like it was just bias when I said Darnold was trash before 95% of this website.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

He was 14/24 for 145 and the offense was most effective when they just asked him to hand the ball off.

He’s so bad.  But I guess that’s just bias.  Just like it was just bias when I said Darnold was trash before 95% of this website.

I'm so proud of you that you were down on Darnold first. I'm officially down on the next qb the jets draft so I can feel good about myself 6 years from now.  

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

14=2?

he had a bad first two drives.  I think he was something  like 1-5.
So, after those two drives then he was 13-19.  Made some key throws to keep drives alive - and yes the running game was on. Having a good day running the ball doesn’t mean the QB was bad unless your bias is trying to make it that way. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys are funny and don't even see it.

Team wins, after the first couple of drives your young QB plays well in his 6th NFL game and comes out with the W...

And y'all can only talk about the QB not being good.

I hope you guys start to see your bias, it's glaring at this point.

A typical SOJF looks at this game and goes Wilson only went 14/24. A real Jets fans realizes that WIlson started out poorly but finds reason for optimism as Wilson finished 13/19. 

No one is out here saying Wilson should get Rookie of the Week. Far from it. But instead of curling up into a ball like Darnold would have, Wilson got better as the game went on and helped carry the team to a win. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

A big part of the rationale in drafting him was not only does he he a very strong arm and had put quite a few throws on tape that “only Patrick Mahomes could make” was that he was extremely ACCURATE at BYU and although he was not facing any SEC D’s that ACCURACY coupled with the arm strength made many scouts believe that if you have his attributes it doesn’t matter who your competition is....you’re going to be a star.

Personally I’m perplexed at how shaky many of his throws are, to downright awful in the short passing game.  Whether it’s the speed at the pro level or that he needs a therapist, I don’t know.

But he has shown some flashes this year on about 20 throws at the pro level “that Only Patrick Mahomes can make” according to Chris Simms who furthered his statement by saying that he’s “not worried about all the throws he’s missing, he has hit those like clockwork before and he will once again and with more work these problems are easily manageable”....Simms still projects him to be a star at the highest level.

Nicely said. I’m not booing him out of town just yet. 
Id like to see him settle down and for him and Lefluer to get in a groove as well. Reps and more reps. 
I HOPE we see the easy stuff improve this season. Either way, I’m riding with him next year too. Just bring in a competent veteran QB to push him. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Regardless of your view on his play today he showed toughness (i) coming back after tweaking his injured knee and (ii) putting his head down and bulling his way into the end zone. 

He’s a lot tougher than some here give him credit for. 

Probably the only two things to like about Wilson so far are:

1) he’s exhibited some toughness (taken some nasty shots this year)

2) he’s been better in the second half of games than the 1st half 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well said. 

it is strange how bad those short throws are.  But, as you stated it’s never been a problem his entire career. 
I believe it’s in head and the only way to fix it is reps. He needs to play a lot - keep throwing and build his confidence.  

Exactly, just like when analyzing Darnold, in retrospect he was “a horse who ran true to form”.  He was a turnover machine his Senior year at SC, when quite a few of his stacked offense had already left to the pros.....and then he became a turnover machine in the pros, and just trying to explain it away because of the garbage hand he was dealt with personnel surrounding him with the Jets for 3 straight years didn’t work. I tried, I was wrong.

Missing lots of the throws that Wilson has as a Jet, just makes no sense, considering his tape.

I’d love to see just one game before this year is out where he rolls up big numbers and is in the zone, just like he was just about every game his Senior year.  It’s possible.

And even then you won’t know exactly what he is yet.  NFL is super tough.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You DO NOT have a Quarterback. 

Or maybe they saw that the Texans were ripe to run against and combine that with 5 picks last week decided to road grade them 

If you run for just under 160 you dont have a QB?  And you won?

38 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I think that leg brace on his right leg probably effected his running around the pocket, planting, and throwing. After that out-of-bounds sack he was limping around on it pretty good....he said in his presser his knee didn't feel strong but he played through it. A wobbly, loose knee joint would affect anyone, especially a young QB who likes to dance and run around before locking his feet and throwing down field. 

He looked exactly like he did every other week.

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Okay, Zach’s mom.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly, just like when analyzing Darnold, in retrospect he was “a horse who ran true to form”.  He was a turnover machine his Senior year at SC, when quite a few of his stacked offense had already left to the pros.....and then he became a turnover machine in the pros, and just trying to explain it away because of the garbage hand he was dealt with personnel surrounding him with the Jets for 3 straight years didn’t work. I tried, I was wrong.

Missing lots of the throws that Wilson has as a Jet, just makes no sense, considering his tape.

I’d love to see just one game before this year is out where he rolls up big numbers and is in the zone, just like he was just about every game his Senior year.  It’s possible.

And even then you won’t know exactly what he is yet.  NFL is super tough.

Wilson has talent- good athlete, pretty good arm...but at BYU was able to play in a tuxedo as he rarely faced pressure. The biggest flag on him coming out other than competition, was ball placement. Throwing to wide open guys with no pressure...ball placement means less as guys are making catches with no one around them. In the league, things are moving way faster and everything is about precision. If the ball placement still lags this season the Jets will have to seriously consider other options at the position. You can't throw balls consistently behind, high, and to the cleats of receivers and expect to last as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or maybe they saw that the Texans were ripe to run against and combine that with 5 picks last week decided to road grade them 

If you run for just under 160 you dont have a QB?  And you won?

I don't get it. A priori, all of us would sign up for a 150y run day where you don't ask Zach to do to much and let him manage the game to a win (which he did converting some key third and fourth downs late in the game). We won. Zach sailed a couple but his percentage today was also lowered by his throwing several away (which again, we ve been asking him to do). We also missed a gimme fg today and should have won by 10 on road? Why are we miserable?

I wonder if Griffin catches that ball in the end zone and you have a highlight reel moment if the way the game is being received would be so different? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A typical SOJF looks at this game and goes Wilson only went 14/24. A real Jets fans realizes that WIlson started out poorly but finds reason for optimism as Wilson finished 13/19. 

No one is out here saying Wilson should get Rookie of the Week. Far from it. But instead of curling up into a ball like Darnold would have, Wilson got better as the game went on and helped carry the team to a win. 

Do you think, through the same period (7 starts or 11 games), that Wilson has shown more or less than Darnold did in his rookie year?

If more, what is that more he's shown?

51 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So that's it? Wilson is a bust. Time to cut him and draft another QB that you will hate after a couple of bad games? 

Reductio ad absurdism may earn you some high fives, but it's not an actual argument.

Wilson is probably a bust, yes.  He's looked worse than Darnold, Sanchez, or Geno really ever has.  He has exactly zero fundamentals.  He'll get the rest of this season, but there's absolutely no way you can give him next year without earning it.  He shouldn't have gotten this year without earning it either.

Again, it's not about me and who I like.  It's about not running head first into the same brick wall that the Jets, and their loyal lemmings, have done year after year.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Not even close; he was facing a bunch of guys who are now out of football. And it is the speed of the game; he looks like he has no idea what is going on, no feel for the pass rush. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson has talent- good athlete, pretty good arm...but at BYU was able to play in a tuxedo as he rarely faced pressure. The biggest flag on him coming out other than competition, was ball placement. Throwing to wide open guys with no pressure...ball placement means less as guys are making catches with no one around them. In the league, things are moving way faster and everything is about precision. If the ball placement still lags this season the Jets will have to seriously consider other options at the position. You can't throw balls consistently behind, high, and to the cleats of receivers and expect to last as a starter. 

This is a huge issue.  Even the completions were not clean throws.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I don't get it. A priori, all of us would sign up for a 150y run day where you don't ask Zach to do to much and let him manage the game to a win (which he did converting some key third and fourth downs late in the game). We won. Zach sailed a couple but his percentage today was also lowered by his throwing several away (which again, we ve been asking him to do). We also missed a gimme fg today and should have won by 10 on road? Why are we miserable?

I wonder if Griffin catches that ball in the end zone and you have a highlight reel moment if the way the game is being received would be so different? 

That was running the ball. Last 2 drives, when a well-timed pass or 2 for 1st down ends it, the CS decided to simply run the ball to burn clock, 1st down be damned, and let the defense stop thr Texans. You can get anyobody to hand off the ball. 

Sometimes a team goes with what the defense gives them and today the Texans gave them running plays. Plus Zach coming off an injury so he was primarily today a game manager. That will change he’s got the arm and the talent he’s just not ready to run a full scale NFL offense yet. Let’s win some games by playing smart. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Not even close; he was facing a bunch of guys who are now out of football. And it is the speed of the game; he looks like he has no idea what is going on, no feel for the pass rush. 

Hopefully in time he learns to have a much better inner clock where he knows the ball has to come out and if not a completion he still has to be safe with it.

Steve Young and Jim McMahon also faced the same type competition, no I’m not saying he will be Steve Young, but then again so did Ty Detmer.  The NFL does see BYU and does draft their QBs high, even though they know most of their players will never play again after college.  Gifford Neilson another one.

17 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hopefully in time he learns to have a much better inner clock where he knows the ball has to come out and if not a completion he still has to be safe with it.

Steve Young and Jim McMahon also faced the same type competition, no I’m not saying he will be Steve Young, but then again so did Ty Detmer.  The NFL does see BYU and does draft their QBs high, even though they know most of their players will never play again after college.  Gifford Neilson another one.

Young and McMahon were each roughly 30+ years ago. 

35 minutes ago, Bugg said:

That was running the ball. Last 2 drives, when a well-timed pass or 2 for 1st down ends it, the CS decided to simply run the ball to burn clock, 1st down be damned, and let the defense stop thr Texans. You can get anyobody to hand off the ball. 

I could have sworn he threw for one. It was discussed in the post game presser. My bad if I am mis remembering.