I'm warming up to Hamilton. Did someone say he might move to LB?

HighPitch

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

+1

But I also think we'd be fools not to ALSO consider Zach Wilson and his vital importance to our future.

As bad as our Defense was, improving it will not win a title.  Offense is king is the NFL.

And Offense is driven by the QB.

IMO we must continue to build around Zach, and for any future replacement for Zach if he can't cut it.

Sadly, we have too many priorities of need. Some of which, we can only hope, are successfully answered via Free Agency for once.  JD's track record on FA's is mostly poop so far.

We really don't have that many holes on offense. 

RG, WR, TE (RT depends on Becton). Free agency will determine a lot here.  We're really looking like 8 starting incumbents will be coming back on oftense. 

Defense we're talking about probably maybe 5.  Far more holes on defense..

With all of that said...I would LOVE to take offense - but if there's no-one at 4 that exciting and this Hamilton is anywhere near two things I've read about him - Generational from one source and the best safety prospect ever from another source - I honestly know very little about him (I'll do some real research eventually)

Take Neal if he's there - one of the two top edges if they're there - but don't reach for an Edge or G. (because that's what I'm hearing from so many on what to do)

(not sure when G became a premium position) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

We really don't have that many holes on offense. 

RG, WR, TE (RT depends on Becton). Free agency will determine a lot here.  We're really looking like 8 starting incumbents will be coming back on oftense. 

Defense we're talking about probably maybe 5.  Far more holes on defense..

With all of that said...I would LOVE to take offense - but if there's no-one at 4 that exciting and this Hamilton is anywhere near two things I've read about him - Generational from one source and the best safety prospect ever from another source - I honestly know very little about him (I'll do some real research eventually)

Take Neal if he's there - one of the two top edges if they're there - but don't reach for an Edge or G. (because that's what I'm hearing from so many on what to do)

(not sure when G became a premium position) 

I don’t think G is a premium position but if the 4 other spots are locked down, adding a stud G completes the line. Stout run game and pass protection. 

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-kyle-hamilton-is-the-best-safety-prospect-ever

"The term “generational talent” gets thrown around far too often, but every once in a while, a player deserves that title. In the 2021 NFL draft, one player, in particular, stands out among his peers: Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton."

Trevor Lawrence says hi.

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I watched about 4 1/2 minutes.  I'm impressed by his speed, height, tackling and he seems like he's "hungry" (not in the Becton way).  A couple of those INTs though were just awful throws.

I'm with you. The QB's were just throwing up off target meatballs. He did look like a hard tackler who takes good angles, but I really am no judge of how good he is in coverage or his decision-making skills.

Rather than the jugs machine ... https://www.foodandwine.com/news/meatball-cannon-ultimate-food-fight-heavy-artillery 

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

Jet Fans: “I’ll beat the family dog if the Jets take a safety because of Jamal Adams.”

also Jet Fans: “I’ll Take the 6’7” 360 lb OT”

I’m not saying that taking Hamilton is the answer, but the top end talent in this draft is about three or four guys deep. If the Jets don’t take one of those guys, they are reaching anyway. I would take the higher end talent. It’s not like the Jets were great at defending the middle of the field. Hamilton could be an awesome player for this team. 

But go on, let’s hear more about positional value.

Nothing says high end talent like a player that literally has almost zero impact on wins and losses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As one of the more knowledgeable people on this forum, what are your thoughts about what JD should do in the draft?

EDGE, OL, WR, in that order.  Trade down from one of the picks, if possible.  If not?  Use the other pick so that you address 2/3 from the aforementioned positions. 

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Just watched an hour of this kid ... can play ...

... tracks ball extremely well
... tackling machine .. but did not see the voilence some have touted.
... plays everywhere
... always seems like he is in position.

That being said ... i say still go Edge Thibodeaux ... or OL.

Would be very pissed if we went safety over these guys.... but this kid looks legit.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

If we don't pick him up at 4, how long does he last?

4 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

If we don't pick him up at 4, how long does he last?

Giants already have Mckinney and Panthers have Chinn so I don’t think they would take him. Maybe the Falcons would. Denver has Justin Simmons so I can’t see them really taking him either. It’d be a gamble but it’d be amazing if we could land Hamilton at 10

11 hours ago, Copernicus said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-kyle-hamilton-is-the-best-safety-prospect-ever

"The term “generational talent” gets thrown around far too often, but every once in a while, a player deserves that title. In the 2021 NFL draft, one player, in particular, stands out among his peers: Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton."

If Hamilton is a ‘generational talent’ why is he going 4 th to us?  Do others not see his ‘generational talent’ too?

here’s an idea…if he’s all that, ‘ generational talent’ and all, then obtain a ‘generational talents’ worth of DPs and trade back. 

The time to take a generational talent S at 4 overall is when you some semblance of a pass rush, WRs and a stout OL already. 

• Upvote 2

Anyone who protects our quarterback or hits theirs is priority 1 and 2 for me. The game is set up so much for the qb that these two basic principles need to always be the focus.

Some combination of thibodeaux, karlaftis, dean, ojabo, neal, ekonwu, cross (Hutchinson is not getting past Detroit so not considering)  If they love a WR at 10 so be it but back to my earlier point with one of 2nd rounders along with a tight end.

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Giants already have Mckinney and Panthers have Chinn so I don’t think they would take him. Maybe the Falcons would. Denver has Justin Simmons so I can’t see them really taking him either. It’d be a gamble but it’d be amazing if we could land Hamilton at 10

Yeah. That's what I'm wondering. Or trade back a few spots and pick him up if he's our guy.

48 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing says high end talent like a player that literally has almost zero impact on wins and losses.

You’re right, defenses should just play with 9 players instead of 11.

Again, I don’t know if Hamilton is the answer at 4, but with the alternatives, they’d be stupid not to consider him. It’s not like Karlaftis is some whirlwind of doom. Any other draft and I’d agree that a safety isn’t in play, but this year? He should be.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I watched about 4 1/2 minutes.  I'm impressed by his speed, height, tackling and he seems like he's "hungry" (not in the Becton way).  A couple of those INTs though were just awful throws.

A lot fell into his lap. 
but he was there.

did you see his ability to bee line for the ball and make immediate tackles? With one hand? The kid looks special 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You dont know what youre talking about.

jets biggest weakness is inability to tackle. This kid takes the right angle and tackles

another jet problems is no turnovers. This kid will cause turnovers. Turnovers help wins.

seriously what are you going to say if your overrated pass rusher stinks and this kid excels? 

theres a better chance that hamilton becomes a great player than ojabu/karaftis

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

If Hamilton is a ‘generational talent’ why is he going 4 th to us?  Do others not see his ‘generational talent’ too?

here’s an idea…if he’s all that, ‘ generational talent’ and all, then obtain a ‘generational talents’ worth of DPs and trade back. 

The time to take a generational talent S at 4 overall is when you some semblance of a pass rush, WRs and a stout OL already. 

I don’t get the “generational” or “best since Ed Reid” stuff for Hamilton. He’s neither of those things. He is, imo, the best safety to come out in quite a number of years, and one of the best defensive players in this years draft. I don’t think you fix the pass rush this draft. If Thibs falls for some reason you take him, for sure— Hutchinson too, but if it goes Thibs, Hutch, Neal, then I think Hamilton should be in the discussion. To be frank, I’d prefer him at 10, but he’s worth the 4th in this draft.