Good news for the “All-in on offense” crowd?

3 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Great, I’m all for it…….but you can help your young QB and offense a lot more by having a great (actually I’ll settle for even moderately competent) defense.

It’s all well and good having a nasty, dominant, “powerhouse” OL, with it’s 5 top 10 picks (plus Becton for depth) but if your defense is routinely giving up 8-12 minute scoring drives and your offense is only seeing the ball once or twice a half then all the offensive talent in the world isn’t going to be much good.

It’s a team game and we need a D that can hold up it’s end of the bargain. We’ll be shipping 35-50 points a game again unless there’s major focus on improving the unit this off-season. We cannot afford to ‘prioritise’ any unit over the other.

The OL improved significantly as the season wore on, with continuity and familiarity of system, plus the addition of a RG or maybe C(McGovern is better than he gets credit for)it’s fair to expect that to continue. The skill position are in more serious need of investment for sure. WR & TE urgently need an infusion of talent and we can certainly use another RB to help Carter but if we don’t seriously upgrade our pass rush and tighten up against the run then poor Zachary/Mike White/Whoever is gonna be playing catch up from the gun and having to put up 30 points just to keep it competitive.

Excellent post. I cant imagine what it must be for Joe Douglas at this point. Last draft discussions were so intense and we were really/only focussing on QB. This upcoming draft is no holds bar and can go in any direction. What positions can be eliminated at #4 and #10? QB? TE? There's even a safety that can be possibly taken that high and it fills an absolute need for us. At #35 and #38 we can feel pretty confident eliminating taking a QB, and that's about it. These next few weeks are gonna be real fun to debate. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I am saying this, and admitting that I also debate taking Linderbaum (not sure as high as  #4) but how would you justify this with McGovern playing top 10 for much of the season at the center position? Also that Douglas seems to value versatility on the OLINE and all indications are that Linderbaum only plays center?

he can go back to his natural position. Plus hes much older. Mcgovern gets injured then what. I dig depth

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This could - and should - mean more in terms of FA signings than more rookies around their young QB.

not necessarily b/c we all know how the jets typically get shunned even when their offers are more than reasonable.  What it means is that douglas knows he’s all in on wilson and his tenure and reputation will be how functional this offense looks in the next 2 years. And that means trying to ensure that wilson isn’t throwing to Jeff smith, Tarik black and the worst TE group when Elijah moore inevitably gets dinged up.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

he can go back to his natural position. Plus hes much older. Mcgovern gets injured then what. I dig depth

I would agree. Definitely not against taking Linderbaum. He is a great prospect at a position that has longevity, supports Wilson and the offense. Fascinated how many directions we can go

45 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Great, I’m all for it…….but you can help your young QB and offense a lot more by having a great (actually I’ll settle for even moderately competent) defense.

Why can this NOT be understood?

OF COURSE....we do not have the Oline fully developed.  The potential swing and a miss with Becton hurt.  They could very well draft an olineman that puts both Becton and Fant on notice.  We could draft more WR's and TE's.  

But eventually, if the defense can't get off the field, and they give up TD's every time they step on the field, it forces the Jets offense to become one dimensional and predictable.  Who knows:  Maybe you make one side of the ball VERY good, and then work on the other side.  We do know this:  right now JD is batting about 50 percent with his drafts (at least, with the VERY small sample size we have).  This next one has to put him above 50 percent until he can prove he can be consistent at hitting that number regularly.  Another bad draft and we could be looking for a new GM.  I think it is safe to say you can tell I don't want that outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This could - and should - mean more in terms of FA signings than more rookies around their young QB.

I think you are right Sperm.  I look to see the Jets acquire 2-3 big pieces for the offense in F/A, and 'fill in' the rest with the draft.

I expect a couple of major pieces of draft capital being spent on the opposite side of the ball.

• Upvote 3

Every time I waste time by walking through another simulated mock, I find there are ample offense and defensive players available at positions of need for us, especially given we have 2 high first round picks and 2 high second round picks. I lean toward offense first, but there is some really nice potential at multiple positions where we draft. 

Our worst spot? #4. Just not convinced value/risk/position is there for us, I’d trade back if possible.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think you are right Sperm.  I look to see the Jets acquire 2-3 big pieces for the offense in F/A, and 'fill in' the rest with the draft.

I expect a couple of major pieces of draft capital being spent on the opposite side of the ball.

I'm hoping we sign one / draft one at both WR and TE (especially TE).

First - we need more than one guy in each position

Second - it lets your rookies develop at their own pace rather than counting on them to start - and perform well - on day one

Third - more depth options as and when injuries come up

Fourth - you're likely not getting a superstar in FA so they'll most likely be shorter term guys (e.g. Corey Davis)

On defense I expect the same at S, and possibly elsewhere (LB, Edge)

• Upvote 1

Great !!!!! It will be just wonderful winning/losing games 67-65 ! At least I won't fall asleep during the game. I'll still probably smash my usual amount of 8.75 flat screen TVs next season, but that's fine. That's pretty much how the numbers play out for the last 10 seasons.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Connor Hughes, man, this dude brings it!!!   The 28th ranked offense in the NFL, is looking to improve it's talent level!?!?!?!?!

Slow down, Connor, slow down!

This was Connor Rogers… Connor Hughes was busy complaining about being in the rain at the senior bowl to get this scoop.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'm hoping we sign one / draft one at both WR and TE (especially TE).

First - we need more than one guy in each position

Second - it lets your rookies develop at their own pace rather than counting on them to start - and perform well - on day one

Third - more depth options as and when injuries come up

Fourth - you're likely not getting a superstar in FA so they'll most likely be shorter term guys (e.g. Corey Davis)

On defense I expect the same at S, and possibly elsewhere (LB, Edge)

I agree.  Having more WR's might mean we don't have a Jamarr Chase yet in the mix, but could mean we have 3-4 2nd tiered guys who collectively will perform well until we get a true #1.  Same with TE.

But at some point, we have to first start spending draft capital on the one position that still, and always will, make a difference on the D side of the ball: guys who can get to the QB.  And you keep drafting them.  Have an endless supply so when it comes to a point you can't pay the best one, you have others who can step in.  

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We have 4 picks in the top 40 and it still isn't enough.  

Assuming that you are OK with AVT, Fant, Elijah Moore, and Michael Carter on offense, and that Wilson will remain quarterback…. those picks could potentially allow you to upgrade 4 of the remaining 6 starters.

Even if one of them is used on defense, when you combine 3 draft picks with FA that should be plenty….. if used properly. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

1. Edge 

Then offense!

We need a pass rush to protect the leads we’re going to have!

Pass rush looks deep in this draft. If Hutchinson and Thibodeau are not there at number 4 then I have no problem waiting until later, including the early 2nd round to get an edge guy.

In fact, I could see a scenario where the Jets go something like OT and WR, and then use those two early pics in Round 2 to trade back into the 1st for something like the fourth best edge rusher.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

A 290 lb center at 4 overall?  I'm going to take more convincing. 

I mentioned earlier that I am not in favor of Linderbaum at 4. Today, Im feeling that if the Jets took him at 10 I'd be ok with it, but rather if they took Linderbaum, it would be after a trade out of 10 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I agree.  Having more WR's might mean we don't have a Jamarr Chase yet in the mix, but could mean we have 3-4 2nd tiered guys who collectively will perform well until we get a true #1.  Same with TE.

But at some point, we have to first start spending draft capital on the one position that still, and always will, make a difference on the D side of the ball: guys who can get to the QB.  And you keep drafting them.  Have an endless supply so when it comes to a point you can't pay the best one, you have others who can step in.  

Totally on board with you on this. My ideal Round 1 is Edge and WR. Not sure whether that works if the top 2 Edges are gone at 4, but if we wait till Rd 2 then a lot of the 2nd tier guys could be gone. I don't want us to be in Zuniga / Polite territory again where we're hoping for miracles with a third or fourth round pick.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Assuming that you are OK with AVT, Fant, Elijah Moore, and Michael Carter on offense, and that Wilson will remain quarterback…. those picks could potentially allow you to upgrade 4 of the remaining 6 starters.

Even if one of them is used on defense, when you combine 3 draft picks with FA that should be plenty….. if used properly. 

I was being a bit hyperbolic but we could stand upgrades at the following:

WR1, RG, TE (x2).  We could also use another quality OT and RB.  Hopefully we will address at least some of that in FA.

Then on defense we need at least one upgrade at every level (DL, LB, DB).  Again, I think we can hit at least one of those in FA.  That still leaves 5-7 positions we could stand some help at in the draft.  Not everyone needs to be a Day 1/2 pick, but you see my point.  It's not like there are position groups we are all set at.  In fact, I'd venture to say that there isn't a single position group we are set at.  Wait...except Punter.  We are good there.

• Upvote 2