It's Combine Week

section314

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The only real valuable info coming from Combine week is the measurements and the medicals.  Electronic timed 40’s on the same surface is interesting info as well.  Other than that, the rest of the on field stuff has just become TV driven hype.   

I like watching the receivers run the gauntlet still.  

• Upvote 2

,One of the most important traits Salah looks for in a player is his love of the game. Does the player love the game but other things come 1st like in Becton's case food or does the player love football and football is their life. Like Zach Wilson had a girlfriend but she wanted to spend time with him this offseason but Zach Wilson wasn't having that crap. Sorry Babe  I can't take away from my football time to cuddle - its more important than you! Plus one nighters can be fun. Thats the kind of players Salah is looking for - So Salah and staff should be monitoring what time these rookies show up for the combine. If you show up early and are on the field practicing and talking to other players and coaches its a plus. If your late because you were at your homies birthday party then your off Salah's draft able list. all these guys can play - its what time you show up for the combine that counts!!!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The only real valuable info coming from Combine week is the measurements and the medicals.  Electronic timed 40’s on the same surface is interesting info as well.  Other than that, the rest of the on field stuff has just become TV driven hype.   

I like watching the QB's throw ( those that do participate) side by side. Think it reveals a lot. I remember a few years ago when Kizer had just a dreadful performance. David Carr, who was on the sideline, even said it was tough to watch. Unbelievably, the Browns still took him in 2nd rd. When you are out there with all the other guys, making the same throws to the same receivers, it's pretty easy to see who's who, and very hard to hide weaknesses.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

,One of the most important traits Salah looks for in a player is his love of the game. Does the player love the game but other things come 1st like in Becton's case food or does the player love football and football is their life. Like Zach Wilson had a girlfriend but she wanted to spend time with him this offseason but Zach Wilson wasn't having that crap. Sorry Babe  I can't take away from my football time to cuddle - its more important than you! Plus one nighters can be fun. Thats the kind of players Salah is looking for - So Salah and staff should be monitoring what time these rookies show up for the combine. If you show up early and are on the field practicing and talking to other players and coaches its a plus. If your late because you were at your homies birthday party then your off Salah's draft able list. all these guys can play - its what time you show up for the combine that counts!!!

They should have a combine event that measures love of football. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Hamilton and London's 40 times will be huge.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Combine is so stupid.....guys throwing in Shorts with no pressure coming at them....yea pass

Also these metrics sometimes fool you. There is metrics and football smarts. Give me the football smart guys over the guys who can run super fast etc 

Combine.......yawnnnn

All valid points, but at the combine everyone is doing the same stuff together in the same atmosphere. To me , the Pro Days are the bigger farce.  You basically can't fail...there in no uncertainty involved.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

From NFL.com, combine TV schedule:

NFL Network will have more than 50 hours of live coverage of the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine beginning March 1:

• Seven hours of live coverage of quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends from 4 p.m. ET to 11 p.m. ET on March 3.
  • Six hours of live coverage of running backs, offensive linemen and special teams from 4 pm. ET to 10 p.m. ET on March 4.
  • Five hours of live coverage of defensive linemen and linebackers from 4 p.m. ET to 9 p.m. ET on March 5.
  • Five hours of live coverage of defensive backs from 2 p.m. ET to 7 p.m. ET on March 6.

Live NFL Network coverage of the 2022 NFL Combine is available across devices (smartphone, PC, tablet and connected TVs) through the NFL app and NFL Network app for subscribers of participating NFL Network providers. Visit NFL.com/watch for more information on how to watch.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Combine is so stupid.....guys throwing in Shorts with no pressure coming at them....yea pass

Also these metrics sometimes fool you. There is metrics and football smarts. Give me the football smart guys over the guys who can run super fast etc 

Combine.......yawnnnn

College pro days are even worse. Guys running around in shorts playing catch with their friends. Give me game film and evaluate how they play in an actual game.

56 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Combine.......yawnnnn

Combine is one of many tools in evaluatng prospects.  It brings all top prosepcts togetehr to workout and complete drills side by side in front of the whole league.  Gives teams a chance to evaluate the athleticism of prospects in a controlled enviornment.  To that extent, it has value.  But it is simply one tool, and far from the most important tool, to evaluate prospects.

• Upvote 4

Edge Rushers: If Hutch or Thib don't fall to 4, JD will be looking for an Edge he can draft in Rd. 2 or at 10 and will be taking a really close look at the edge rushers in this class for not only the perfect fit but potentially an under the radar steal. 

Safety: This one is obvious. But seems like one of the most important positions for Saleh is in absolute tatters and JD will need not only to address the position in FA but keep a really close eye on a starting caliber guy he can draft on day 2 or later.

TE: The OTHER obvious one. TE depth in this draft is great. The Jets may opt to sign a TE in FA and target another one later in the draft. JD will be looking closely at all the TEs to try and snag a gem later on. 

WR: Just putting this in here because it seems like the combine and 40 time has a massive impact on where a WR is taken. I actually don't think Douglas will look to draft WR early but if a guy like Watson or Ezukanma come in and tear up the combine, they will turn heads, including JD's.

*Personally, I will also be looking at Alec Pierce's combine numbers. A guy who is considered slow and limited athletically but a prospect I really love as an 'X' WR across from Davis who can also move into a big 'Y'/slot role in a spread formation. If he runs well, I'd love for JD to roll the dice on him in Rd. 3.       

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Combine is one of many tools in evaluatng prospects.  It brings all top prosepcts togetehr to workout and complete drills side by side in front of the whole league.  Gives teams a chance to evaluate the athleticism of prospects in a controlled enviornment.  To that extent, it has value.  But it is simply one tool, and far from the most important tool, to evaluate prospects.

Agreed and the physicals and the white board stuff is really important 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Combine.......yawnnnn

There's pressure at the combine.  

One of the biggest job interviews in the history of the world.

These kids have to be very nervous and a bad throw can snowball into an avalanche of bad. 

Success at the combine doesn't equal success on the field, but poor performance there usually means that player cannot step up when the time comes for real. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There are a few things you can glean, even if fluff.  QB drills can tell you a few things.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Won;t move the needle for me no matter what he does unless a bunch of other guys flat out flop

I am interested as to why . I keep going back and forth myself on drafting this player as well. Every big board has Hamilton in the top 5-10 , some saying he is the best in the entire draft . Wouldn't this alone at least put him in the conversation of drafting him? He plays multiple positions on defense and is excellent defending the tight end which we are deplorable at .The argument of not drafting a safety this high I get to a point but in this case seems to be thrown out the window when it comes to a potential talent like this. Some are even saying that he is the best prospect in 20 years and can even line up at Edge. While that does not deter me from wanting the Jets to draft an edge high as well, it  also does not deter me  from drafting Hamilton who plays multiple positions and is rated so highly.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I am interested as to why . I keep going back and forth myself on drafting this player as well. Every big board has Hamilton in the top 5-10 , some saying he is the best in the entire draft . Wouldn't this alone at least put him in the conversation of drafting him? He plays multiple positions on defense and is excellent defending the tight end which we are deplorable at .The argument of not drafting a safety this high I get to a point but in this case seems to be thrown out the window when it comes to a potential talent like this. Some are even saying that he is the best prospect in 20 years and can even line up at Edge. While that does not deter me from wanting the Jets to draft an edge high as well, it  also does not deter me  from drafting Hamilton who plays multiple positions and is rated so highly.

QB, Oline, WR, pass rusher, TE, CB are all higher priority positions for me than safety which is ahead of ilb and maybe RB, due to the fact that there are lots of good rbs each year.

I've heard the 'best player in the draft' hype year after year.  Jamal Adams was supposed to be 'the best player in the draft perhaps'  and lest we get the usual retcon, before the draft adams was a 'do it all' safety, he was no thought of as strictly a box safety.

The risk reward is not there for me at safety. 

Do I think the player is bad?  No, not at all.  But to justify me picking a S that high (again) he better be D rookie of the year, then a pro bowler for 10 years in a row.

• Upvote 1