It's Combine Week

section314

6 hours ago, derp said:

I think anything like that is more helpful if you filter on draft capital spent on the player. A lot of those guys probably go undrafted and never get a shot in the NFL. More telling to see what happens with the guys teams see something in. I can't think of a ton of guys off the top of my head who were slower than that and drafted, say within the first three rounds - but those I can think of (Kupp, Allen, Boldin) turned out pretty good.

It’s definitely hard to think of some. Tread well I think was a 4.6 something. Shenault is 4.58 exactly 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams was a bad pick because he was a 5’10” box safety with no ball production who ran a 4.54/40 and had the triangle numbers of a defensive end.

That is totally not how he was portrayed before the draft.  He was portrayed in a similar fashion to hamilton before the draft. A do it all, play maker safety.  Which we all know was not correct.

The worry with hamilton is the same as it should have been with adams.  How much do you have to compromise your defense to make a safety a star player worthy of #4 overall.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is totally not how he was portrayed before the draft.  He was portrayed in a similar fashion to hamilton before the draft. A do it all, play maker safety.  Which we all know was not correct.

The worry with hamilton is the same as it should have been with adams.  How much do you have to compromise your defense to make a safety a star payer worthy of #4 overall.

This.  And you see just how special a safety has to be to be worth drafting that high.  It’s just not worth it.  

On 2/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jet Nut said:

Jamal Adams career would be the last reason I stay away from a Hamilton pick.  Theyre two different players and hes a huge position of need for the Jets.  It wouldnt upset me if hes the pick

No.

On 2/27/2022 at 4:44 PM, Untouchable said:

Perhaps

But there are plenty of Jets fans who would gladly draft an interior OL like Ekwonu or Linderbaum in the Top 10.

Quenton Nelson is on the fast track to the Hall of Fame. But he still hasn’t really moved the needle for the Colts at the end of the day.

This is looking like the weakest draft class since maybe going back to 2013.

That’s the whole reason why I wouldn’t be pissed if the Jets grabbed a dude like Hamilton or Ekwonu at #4. At least I don’t see much of a bust risk there and feel comfortable that either one would be a 10 year starter.

The Colts OL has been the staple of their team and Quinton Nelson has been the centerpiece of that OL.  He has definitely moved the needle for the Colts.  The reason they haven’t done more is because Grigson completely ignored the OL for years and pushed Andrew Luck into early retirement.  If the Colts had a healthy Andrew Luck, they’d be in contention for a title every single year with the way their team is constructed.

Hamilton helps no one.  Absolutely no one.  Joe Douglas will have earned a, well deserved, firing next year if he is stupid enough to draft him in the top 10.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The Colts OL has been the staple of their team and Quinton Nelson has been the centerpiece of that OL.  He has definitely moved the needle for the Colts.  The reason they haven’t done more is because Grigson completely ignored the OL for years and pushed Andrew Luck into early retirement.  If the Colts had a healthy Andrew Luck, they’d be in contention for a title every single year with the way their team is constructed.

Hamilton helps no one.  Absolutely no one.  Joe Douglas will have earned a, well deserved, firing next year if he is stupid enough to draft him in the top 10.

The only reason that I’m not totally against Ekwonu or Hamilton at #4 is because of a complete sh*t draft class.

Otherwise, if the former OL and supposed OL “guru” Joe Douglas is incapable of finding a quality starting OL outside of the Top 15, he should’ve been fired yesterday.

There are a handful of goofs around here who want the Jets to draft Ekwonu AND Linderbaum in the Top 10 after back to back years of Becton and AVT in the Top 15. That’s the kind of sh*t that would make Norman Bates seem like a rational person.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only reason that I’m not totally against Ekwonu or Hamilton at #4 is because of a complete sh*t draft class.

Otherwise, if the former OL and supposed OL “guru” Joe Douglas is incapable of finding a quality starting OL outside of the Top 15, he should’ve been fired yesterday.

There are a handful of goofs around here who want the Jets to draft Ekwonu AND Linderbaum in the Top 10 after back to back years of Becton and AVT in the Top 15. That’s the kind of sh*t that would make Norman Bates seem like a rational person.

I go back and forth with Hamilton.  On one hand, regardless of position, he's the best player in the Draft and he plays a position at which the Jets have a legitimate need.  He'd turn a hole/weakness into a strength immediately.  On the other hand, Safety only pales in comparison to kickers, punters and long snappers in terms of positional value IMO.  Even offensive guards are a more premium position IMO because they protect your most important player.

I would dismiss Hamilton completely IF this wasn't such a weak draft class.  But as it stands now Hamilton should be in the discussion with Ekwonu if both Thibodaeux and Hutchinson are gone.  AND, if you're going to consider a Safety at #4 then it's hard to argue with someone who might even suggest a Linderbaum at #4 since he's the best OLineman.

22 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I hate seeing him mocked to the Jets enough that blood shoots from my eyes.   But I can see why people think he’d fit in.  

I could live with Sauce in the top 10.  But I want no part of Stingley.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I go back and forth with Hamilton.  On one hand, regardless of position, he's the best player in the Draft and he plays a position at which the Jets have a legitimate need.  He'd turn a hole/weakness into a strength immediately.  On the other hand, Safety only pales in comparison to kickers, punters and long snappers in terms of positional value IMO.  Even offensive guards are a more premium position IMO because they protect your most important player.

I would dismiss Hamilton completely IF this wasn't such a weak draft class.  But as it stands now Hamilton should be in the discussion with Ekwonu if both Thibodaeux and Hutchinson are gone.  AND, if you're going to consider a Safety at #4 then it's hard to argue with someone who might even suggest a Linderbaum at #4 since he's the best OLineman.

Agreed completely, except Linderbaum. If the Jets go in a non-OL direction at #4 and decide to take him at #10, okay. Not ideal but I won’t hate it. But Jets fans have been way too obsessed with this finding the next Mawae/Mangold crap for far too long.

A lot of people seem to be discounting that this may indeed be the sh*ttiest draft class since 2013. I don’t see the Top 10 being littered with future all-pros, so fans need to move beyond that.

I’m holding out hope that Douglas makes his big move for a WR within the next 3-4 weeks, because that’s what I want above all else. Even a guy like Allen Robinson wouldn’t excite me like it would’ve a year or two ago, but we’re the Jets and we need help wherever we can get it.

Hutchinson is the dream at #4, but I doubt it happens. I’ve expressed concerns about Thibodeaux for months, but he’s still worth the gamble IMO.

If those two are gone…where the hell is the value? To me, you either make a “non-premium” selection like Ekwonu or Hamilton, or you take a dude like Gardner where CB may not be paramount to this specific scheme, but he still plays a premium position and is a damn good prospect in his own right.

42 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I really don’t care if it’s a weak class.  You could draft Treylon Burks, have him turn into the next Cordarrelle Patterson instead of the next Deebo Samuel, and it would still be a better, more impactful, pick than Kyle Hamilton.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I really don’t care if it’s a weak class.  You could draft Treylon Burks, have him turn into the next Cordarrelle Patterson instead of the next Deebo Samuel, and it would still be a better, more impactful, pick than Kyle Hamilton.

No, it isn’t.

That’s hyperbolic bullsh*t and you know it as well as I do.

Jets fans would blast the piss out of a Burks pick, or any other Top 10 selected receiver, if he turns into Patterson 2.0

This is the same fanbase who has convinced themselves that Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be the next DeMarcus Ware or that lucking into Trey McBride at the top of the 2nd round means we’re landing Jason Witten instead of the next Tyler Conklin.

As I said earlier, Kyle Hamilton isn’t Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu. He’s a bigger Justin Simmons. A damn good, pro-bowl quality safety. A guy who can be a pivotal piece on the backend of your defense for the next decade and a key locker room figure. And this defense just so happens to highly value that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No, it isn’t.

That’s hyperbolic bullsh*t and you know it as well as I do.

Jets fans would blast the piss out of a Burks pick, or any other Top 10 selected receiver, if he turns into Patterson 2.0

This is the same fanbase who has convinced themselves that Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be the next DeMarcus Ware or that lucking into Trey McBride at the top of the 2nd round means we’re landing Jason Witten instead of the next Tyler Conklin.

As I said earlier, Kyle Hamilton isn’t Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu. He’s a bigger Justin Simmons. A damn good, pro-bowl quality safety. A guy who can be a pivotal piece on the backend of your defense for the next decade and a key locker room figure.

1.  Justin Simmons was a 3rd round pick.  The very bottom of the 3rd round actually.

2.  The Broncos haven’t made the playoffs since they drafted that “pivotal piece” named Justin Simmons.  If you even think about drafting a Safety as high as 4th overall, he better f*cking be Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, or Polamalu.

You made my point for me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

1.  Justin Simmons was a 3rd round pick.

2.  The Broncos haven’t made the playoffs since they drafted that “pivotal piece” named Justin Simmons.

You made my point for me.

1. And?

2. And?

What’s your point, exactly?

Carl Lawson was a 4th round pick with mediocre career production and two torn ACL’s whose balls have been routinely drained clean by Jets fans ever since PFF told them to do so. And that was before the achilles. 

The Broncos have fielded a top defense year in and year out but have had slapdicks at QB, HC and overall management ever since Peyton moved on.

Show me the Jamar Chase, Kyle Pitts or top edgerusher that the Jets will have a realistic shot at picking at #4, and I’ll gladly sign on the dotted line.

There are none

Drafting a safety or interior OL with a Top 5 pick wouldn’t even cross my mind if not for such a spectacularly sh*tty draft class.

• Upvote 1