Jordan Davis DT, Georgia

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

..and yet they take him off the field on 3rd downs. Seems strange. 

I think the reason he comes off on third down is because he just doesn’t have the stamina to rush the passer. Saw that in the first Georgia-Alabama game. When Bama went to no huddle and started passing he couldn’t get off the line of scrimmage as he was gassed. Not saying he’s out of shape but that’s a whole hell of a lot of human to move at maximum effort for extended periods of time 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I think the reason he comes off on third down is because he just doesn’t have the stamina to rush the passer. Saw that in the first Georgia-Alabama game. When Bama went to no huddle and started passing he couldn’t get off the line of scrimmage as he was gassed. Not saying he’s out of shape but that’s a whole hell of a lot of human to move at maximum effort for extended periods of time 

It is true he is a two down DL. But there is a reason Bama decided not to even bother running the ball against Georgia. Davis and Georgias DL is just that good. The Jets rotate their line anyway so I see no difference. It does however seem that Saleh likes two penetrating DTs rather than a traditional zero technique and a three technique. Either way the run defense needs to improve or nothing else really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It is true he is a two down DL. But there is a reason Bama decided not to even bother running the ball against Georgia. Davis and Georgias DL is just that good. The Jets rotate their line anyway so I see no difference. It does however seem that Saleh likes two penetrating DTs rather than a traditional zero technique and a three technique. Either way the run defense needs to improve or nothing else really matters.

RSJ   The entire defense has to improve. In my opinion  Using a premium draft choice for a two down lineman isn’t a good use of a quality pick. Some in the fan base say Quinnen isn’t that good , he was drafted too high etc etc   but he’s a heck of a lot more valuable and better than a player that after two plays is sucking wind and can’t get off the line. If JD takes him with a high pick both him and Davis would get absolutely crucified and with good reason 

RSJ   The entire defense has to improve. In my opinion  Using a premium draft choice for a two down lineman isn’t a good use of a quality pick. Some in the fan base kill Becton because of reports being out of shape, say Quinnen isn’t that good , he was drafted too high etc etc   but he’s a heck of a lot more valuable and better than a player that after two plays is sucking wind and can’t get off the line. If JD takes him with a high pick both him and Davis would get absolutely crucified and with good reason 

Davis is getting picked in the top 15 this year and for good reason. There is no need to put Davis on the field on third down if running isnt a threat. In the same way its not worth putting a pass rushing DE on the field in obvious run situations.

• Upvote 1

I think it’s highly likely the Jets look at the DT class, but I don’t think Davis is exactly what they’d be looking for, but i could definitely be wrong there. His upside could definitely be someone like Wilfork. 

He’s a force on run defense and is decent, but not dominant as a pass rusher at the moment. They rotate DL heavily anyways so i’m not as concerned about him not being a 3-down guy, but conditioning is definitely still a concern as well. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

RSJ   The entire defense has to improve. In my opinion  Using a premium draft choice for a two down lineman isn’t a good use of a quality pick. Some in the fan base kill Becton because of reports being out of shape, say Quinnen isn’t that good , he was drafted too high etc etc   but he’s a heck of a lot more valuable and better than a player that after two plays is sucking wind and can’t get off the line. If JD takes him with a high pick both him and Davis would get absolutely crucified and with good reason 

I think you are selling Davis a bit short.  He was not coming off the field after two downs because he was sucking wind.   He came off the field because that was our rotation.  Jalen Carter and Devonte Wyatt are better pass rushers.  They play on 3rd down, Davis comes out.  He had a bad game against Bama, it happens. But that is the rotaion the Dawgs played all season.  That said, your questions are legitamte.  Can he stay on the field for more than 60% of defenseive snaps (which is about what he played at UGA), since we have not seen him do it. 

For that reason, despite what he did yeterday, I still see him as a late first rounder and I think Wyatt could go ahead of him being the better pass rusher.  And as much as I love the kid, we have other needs and I would not want to see us draft him. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think you are selling Davis a bit short.  He was not coming off the field after two downs because he was sucking wind.   He came off the field because that was our rotation.  Jalen Carter and Devonte Wyatt are better pass rushers.  They play on 3rd down, Davis comes out.  He had a bad game against Bama, it happens. But that is the rotaion the Dawgs played all season.  That said, your questions are legitamte.  Can he stay on the field for more than 60% of defenseive snaps (which is about what he played at UGA), since we have not seen him do it. 

For that reason, despite what he did yeterday, I still see him as a late first rounder and I think Wyatt could go ahead of him being the better pass rusher.  And as much as I love the kid, we have other needs and I would not want to see us draft him. 

34 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Davis is getting picked in the top 15 this year and for good reason. There is no need to put Davis on the field on third down if running isnt a threat. In the same way its not worth putting a pass rushing DE on the field in obvious run situations.

Lith / RSJ.    I am not saying he’s a bad player and that teams need to be built from the inside out on both sides of the ball but the team needs more than a two down run stopping defensive tackle when on numerous third and long situations this year , teams ran for first downs  To use a high draft pick on him is not a good idea at this time given the other glaring needs of the squad as presently constructed 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

He had a great interview with Stacy Dales after his workout yesterday. Big kid with big personality, but Walker is more of what we need, Wyatt too.

While I think trading back from #4 will be hard and not too many teams want to come up, I'm really starting to believe trading out of #10 could become easy if the Jets want.  Somebody is going to drop to #10 and if it's a position/player the Jets don't want or need then that might be the spot to make a move backwards into the teens.

Wen we draft Hamilton at 4 and Davis at 10 ….ohh boyyyy

in all seriousness, if you think you are getting Ngata or Kris Jenkins with him then he absolutely merits top 15, maybe even top 10 consideration.
I reckon a fair few people here are in for some serious upset if they think we aren’t seriously considering addressing DT in April. Our run D was comically bad last year and with our best run stopper (FF) probably on the way out of town it would be a madman who thought we are set with Q and presumably Franklin-Myers in the middle. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think it’s highly likely the Jets look at the DT class, but I don’t think Davis is exactly what they’d be looking for, but i could definitely be wrong there. His upside could definitely be someone like Wilfork. 

He’s a force on run defense and is decent, but not dominant as a pass rusher at the moment. They rotate DL heavily anyways so i’m not as concerned about him not being a 3-down guy, but conditioning is definitely still a concern as well. 

Perrion Winfrey is definitely possible if there in the second round. 

• Upvote 2