This is the center I want

I hope the Jets draft a C this year, but probably not until the 4th round, maybe?  OT is a much bigger need....at this time the Jets are incredibly thin there.  

Becton is a huge question mark. JD cannot count on him for anything, though he also shouldn't totally give up on him. Fant was good last year but ended the season missing games and will be a free agent after next year. Moses left.  There's no good young swing tackle on the roster.  I'm hoping that JD takes an OT as early as round 2.

Maybe a decent vet RT will shake loose later, like Moses did?

• Upvote 1

I’m an athleticism guy, but zion isn’t a better center than Linderbaum. Both are good prospects, but the whole mental aspect of center is different than other line positions as well for starters. Plus zion is a natural guard able to flex to other positions.

Linderbaum is fundamentally sound and is able to be mobile in the run game to play in a zone scheme. He may never be a dominating strength guy. He’s not a pure mauler. But I expect being in an NFL program should help make him be fine there long term. 

Maybe as a longer term idea when there was a spot for him at guard. But having a guy making a college guard to NFL center transition as a rookie up front with Wilson still developing is too risky IMO.

Like Johnson as a prospect a lot, but think it’d be more prudent to have the continuity with McGovern this year and draft a day three guy (there are several athletic ones) to develop behind him and hopefully show enough to take over after his contract expires.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Watch the Senior Bowl best offensive lineman in game.

With his movement skills and long arms could even play OT

Zion Johnson looked terrible when they moved him to center in mobile. He's a David decastro style right guard. And the Jets just signed one of those 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, derp said:

Maybe as a longer term idea when there was a spot for him at guard. But having a guy making a college guard to NFL center transition as a rookie up front with Wilson still developing is too risky IMO.

Like Johnson as a prospect a lot, but think it’d be more prudent to have the continuity with McGovern this year and draft a day three guy (there are several athletic ones) to develop behind him and hopefully show enough to take over after his contract expires.

You have any centers you like? I haven’t looked that hard since the ND kid went back to school and was generally unimpressed by the guys that took center reps at the senior bowl. 

21 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

You have any centers you like? I haven’t looked that hard since the ND kid went back to school and was generally unimpressed by the guys that took center reps at the senior bowl. 

I think running the zone scheme you want an athletic guy to develop - in this class Cole Strange, Zach Tom, Dawson Deaton, Luke Wattenberg, Cam Jurgens, and to a lesser extent Alec Lindstrom tested well. Tom hit the short shuttle threshold - which I'd guess Douglas looks at since the Eagles drafted Andre Dillard high - and has multi position versatility. I think he's the guy to keep an eye on.

The rest had good shuttles, which I think are important for centers, except for Jurgens who didn't do it. And Lindstrom's was just okay. Curious to see what Jurgens does at his Pro Day.

I think they look at this class and think they can get someone worth developing in the fifth round (or later if they pick up an even later selection) and not feel like they have to reach on one particular guy. And Douglas tends to like being confident he can get something. The one thing that makes me hesitate in thinking they'll do it is the deal they gave Feeney, but I still think they need more iOL depth. 

All that said I'd be lying if I told you I've dug into these guys, it's much more a numbers based look. Genuinely don't have the time these days and when I used to do it I'd just end up disappointed with the drafts to a greater degree. But I do think if you're talking about a day three zone scheme developmental center, athleticism is going to be important. And Douglas likes position versatility too. Part of why I think Tom is on the table.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Cam Jurgens in Round 4

I hope this team soon starts finding consistent depth/starter OL value in later rounds.

Then we will not be asking to draft a natural guard, in the top 40 picks, to play out of position. Those will be the days. 

By the way, I like Zion… I just like hitting on an actual center in round 4, better. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I hope the Jets draft a C this year, but probably not until the 4th round, maybe?  OT is a much bigger need....at this time the Jets are incredibly thin there.  

Becton is a huge question mark. JD cannot count on him for anything, though he also shouldn't totally give up on him. Fant was good last year but ended the season missing games and will be a free agent after next year. Moses left.  There's no good young swing tackle on the roster.  I'm hoping that JD takes an OT as early as round 2.

Maybe a decent vet RT will shake loose later, like Moses did?

I'd take Bernhard Raimann in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1