Cimini on some draft buzz

On 3/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, Jet Nut said:

So if they pick a player you don't want you are convinced he was a product of the media who are pulling a stunt and the Jets are being duped into picking him.  Pretty much every evaluator has him in their top 5 but for some reason its total BS?  JD and his staff will fall back on this media stunt.  

LOL

When "every evaluator" = the media, you are both right.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, genot said:

He had 7 pressures lining up against, guess who. Evan Neal., in the championship game. 

Should I be impressed? I encourage you to watch that game again, and any other. You don't have to go far, just watch his "highlight tape" all of his sacks were free runs at the qb, cleaning up other people "sack" or stunts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

Should I be impressed? I encourage you to watch that game again, and any other. You don't have to go far, just watch his "highlight tape" all of his sacks were free runs at the qb, cleaning up other people "sack" or stunts.

This sounds like the same stuff half the board was saying about Trey Hendrickson last offseason lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Gholston was always going in the top 10-15 that year. 

This mock from before the combine in 2008 had him going 10 to the Pats:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/9170-NFL-New_England_<a href=

His Combine definitely pushed up his draft stock, but you would hard pressed to find a mock draft of the 2008 NFL draft from before the combine that didn't have Gholston in the middle of the 1st round. 

People were also worried the Jets would pass on Gholston, and the Pats (who were picking right after us) would get him.

Instead, I think they traded back a few picks and took Mayo.   That whole draft kinda sucked, sedrick Ellis and Derrick Harvey were the next 2 picks, both D Lineman, and they combined for 20 career sacks.  Yes Gholston was worse, but it was a crap year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Generational talents do not run 4.6, Hamilton is generational just like lawrence was last year, as in NOT.

Ed reed ran a 4.57.  Would he have been a bust if he was 0.02 slower?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Ed reed ran a 4.57.  Would he have been a bust if he was 0.02 slower?

different era, different times,  But nice to know that kyle hamilton is ed reed.

Oh and 15 safeties ran the 40 at the combine, one guy actually tied hamiltons worst of the bunch time.

The narrative for Walker is very predictable.

Before the draft "He can rush the passer, he has speed and bend, Georgia did not give him many pass rushing ops compared to other teams."

Two years later after back to back 4 sack seasons, same people.  "He was not drafted to rush the passer, he was drafted to be an all around DE."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

different era, different times,  But nice to know that kyle hamilton is ed reed.

Eh, I’m not advocating for Hamilton, although I’d be perfectly fine with him, but Justin Simmons and Harrison Smith are pretty much widely considered the best safeties in the NFL and both ran right around Hamiltons time and not his size.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Eh, I’m not advocating for Hamilton, although I’d be perfectly fine with him, but Justin Simmons and Harrison Smith are pretty much widely considered the best safeties in the NFL and both ran right around Hamiltons time and not his size.

Well if we can draft Hamilton in the 3rd round like simmons was I am all for it!  Or even smith at 29.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The narrative for Walker is very predictable.

Before the draft "He can rush the passer, he has speed and bend, Georgia did not give him many pass rushing ops compared to other teams."

Two years later after back to back 4 sack seasons, same people.  "He was not drafted to rush the passer, he was drafted to be an all around DE."

The guy the Giants drafted last year Azeez Ojulari is 20x better than Walker and he went in the second round, the media is crazy sometimes 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Now do their agility drills

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Pressures aren't in the highlight reels. He plays out of control.. Missed a lot of sacks because of that. 1st year at edge. Once he learns some counters and finishing the play, he'll  be a terror as an edge rusher. That's why he'll be drafted before every edge other than Hutch. Your getting a big upgrade immediately in run defense, and an above average pass rusher who has a chance to be special

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Fant's contract is done after this season it wouldn't be the worst thing if OL was the pick at 4. is it ideal? maybe not in 2022 but injuries happen and also if JD doesn't want to pay Fant over $23 mil or say Becton falls flat. 

to your point. we have pick 10 that could be used to move around the draft or get a player at a later point in the draft or used in a trade to acquire a player at a desired position.. picking a G Wilson @ 4 just because would be dumb IMO.

JD "wants" - if you can tell us then we can just eliminate all conversations about the draft. I don't think he wants a WR at 4

we dont have the roster to pick guys "in case" someone doesnt sign with us "next year" we should wait till next year to see what happens. 

even thought i always hated drafting a OL at 4 at least before Laken was signed having the rookie play guard while Becton got another year to show us what he really is made some sense. IMO getting rid of Becton after 2 years is a mistake. 

JD cant keep using 1st rd picks to get his perfect OL. if Becton cant play then a 3rd or 4th rd pick can replace him. if Fant leaves thats a problem for 2023. and 23 mil is the top salary for OL in the league. im sure we can sign Fant for much less.

you dont want to pick a WR at 4 ? fine then pick an Edge. dont like Thibs? fine pick someone else. we need a Edge bad. and a 3 rd LB. a #1 CB. and another WR. any one of those at 4 makes us better that an OL. 

Becton was really good his first year. he can be really good again if he stays healthy. we need to play him to find out. there is another draft in 2023 if he doesnt work out. 

On 3/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, STLuLu said:

I agree about Q Williams...they did say he was the best player. But I don't recall them saying that about L Williams. That was about Rex being Rex, wanting another D lineman, which they didn't need. I also don't remember them saying that about Adams because there was a lot of good players in that draft. Also, I can't blame the Jets for drafting him because they needed a safety that year and plus, he was a pro bowl player.

That was well documented... Leonard Williams leads 28 prospects attending 2015 NFL Draft...

Rex wasn't the Jets HC when Williams was drafted Bowles was.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, genot said:

Pressures aren't in the highlight reels. He plays out of control.. Missed a lot of sacks because of that. 1st year at edge. Once he learns some counters and finishing the play, he'll  be a terror as an edge rusher. That's why he'll be drafted before every edge other than Hutch. Your getting a big upgrade immediately in run defense, and an above average pass rusher who has a chance to be special

Leonard williams got a lot of pressures and was good against the run, would you pick leonard williams again?

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Oh and 15 safeties ran the 40 at the combine, one guy actually tied hamiltons worst of the bunch time.

We don't know if he's Ed Reed, but he runs as fast as Ed Reed does, which means you can get elite safeties who run in that range.

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm a Notre Dame fan and this is a ridiculous comparison.

1785107682_ScreenShot2022-03-21at12_10_29PM.thumb.png.064fd8da1a77a974403e3478ffbd08f9.png

Reed was truly special.

I don't think that comparing 4.57 to 4.59 is particularly ridiculous.  To each his own, I suppose.

44 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Leonard williams got a lot of pressures and was good against the run, would you pick leonard williams again?

Not at #6. Yea I would draft him. He's a very good player. Walker at 275lbs is much more explosive than Williams. Walker could bust. So could Hutch. ??????? I think Walker, based on a bunch of things, has more of a chance to elite, than all of the other edge rushers. Except perhaps, Hutch.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Hughes just said in his podcast that Saleh likes his LBs and safeties group, and that the positions they’ll target in the draft are EDGE at 4, WR at ten, IDL, TE, and CBs in the second round. Saleh thinks the LBs will be better if the DL plays better, which is weird because Quinnen is there and they paid JFM already.

he also said he thinks it will be KT or Icky at 4..

40 min mark

4 hours ago, doitny said:

we dont have the roster to pick guys "in case" someone doesnt sign with us "next year" we should wait till next year to see what happens. 

even thought i always hated drafting a OL at 4 at least before Laken was signed having the rookie play guard while Becton got another year to show us what he really is made some sense. IMO getting rid of Becton after 2 years is a mistake. 

JD cant keep using 1st rd picks to get his perfect OL. if Becton cant play then a 3rd or 4th rd pick can replace him. if Fant leaves thats a problem for 2023. and 23 mil is the top salary for OL in the league. im sure we can sign Fant for much less.

you dont want to pick a WR at 4 ? fine then pick an Edge. dont like Thibs? fine pick someone else. we need a Edge bad. and a 3 rd LB. a #1 CB. and another WR. any one of those at 4 makes us better that an OL. 

Becton was really good his first year. he can be really good again if he stays healthy. we need to play him to find out. there is another draft in 2023 if he doesnt work out. 

No WR is worth the 4th pick 

• Post of the Week 1

Interesting Kyle Hamilton note on the latest CBS Sports mock...

Man, this team could really use a wide receiver -- in a big way -- but there's also an easy case to be made that the secondary needs some help too. And while this class has some safety prospects, there's only one Kyle Hamilton, who is somehow still on the board. He has Ed Reed-type instincts in center field -- but in a 6-foot-4 body -- and he has the ability to line up anywhere.