Cimini on some draft buzz

33 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I really could see JD waiting for the second and third rounds to address edge and taking 2 players.

That's the problem with this Draft. There is really no one that is really Spectacular at the top. But to look at the Bright Side the Jets were able to land Zach last year. Teams looking for a franchise QB this year are SOOL !

• Upvote 1

Would anybody be seriously upset if we drafted Linderbaum at #10?

Cause that’s my prediction. 

Edge at #4, elite “generational” Center at 10. I’d like to think we could trade back (PHI?) and get him later while recouping another pick, but I don’t see him getting past BAL who just lost Bozeman. 

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Prepare yourself. With the 4th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, your NY Jets select

Ikem Ekwonu OT NC State

I dont agree. But Joe Douglas isnt very good at smokescreens. In 2020, everyone knew we were going OT. In 2021, he was even worse. Everyone was saying the Jets were gushing about Zach Wilson. And the 49ers jumped to 3 without even calling the Jets. These same people are saying the Jets like Ekwonu.

those people had to change after Laken. 

were going to have the best OL on the worst team cause we used no high picks on playmakers or defense. ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

If Hamilton is the best player in the draft, how come we don't hear about how he's gonna be drafted before we pick at #4 anyway?  

Because teams hate using picks at the very top of the draft on non premium positions. If you’re not a QB, Edge, CB, WR or LT your chances of being a top 10 pick are low. Your chances of being a top 5 pick are even lower.

That said, I could see JD picking Hamilton at No. 4 so long as JD believes the kid is a generational talent. Good talent evaluators not constrained by team dictates never pass on a generational talent. 

Add Hamilton, a LB and an edge with 3 of the top 4 picks and suddenly the Jets might have a shutdown D. That would really help the young QB especially if the other top 4 pick was a bruising RB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Edge at #4, elite “generational” Center at 10. I’d like to think we could trade back (PHI?) and get him later while recouping another pick, but I don’t see him getting past BAL who just lost Bozeman. 

Jets should be able to run all day with a blocking TE and that line lol 

Joe Douglas is a trench warfare general. He's going to keep building both trenches until he's satisfied. Tackles, Guards, Edge Rushers, middle guys like Q. He's using both picks on the trenches. It's so obvious.

See, we as fans have already moved on from the Trenches after seeing so much of our top draft go there. We're ready for some sizzle. We want big weapons for ZW. But we're not JD. He's not moving on from the trenches one draft pick sooner that he wants.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

YOU DON’T DRAFT A NON - PREMIUM POSITION LIKE SAFETY WITH YOUR #4 PICK.
HAVENT WE LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY BEFORE?

Here’s to trading down at 4.

Jets won't know what to do at 4, that means there's no way they're going to able to trade down. There's about a 20% change they get a player that plays up to the pick. It's 50/50 they get a player who is a high contributor. 

This pick feels like a disaster. No one on this site is a pro evaluator, but everyone is all over the place on who to use it on. Mock drafts are all over the place.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Two other fun tidbits in this article:

1. When Revis got drafted, he was home with his family in Aliquippa, PA. Who was in that room? A ten year old Jordan Whitehead.

2. Douglas, for the second year in a row, has handed out at least $80 mil guaranteed to free agents. Yikes.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89073/for-zach-wilsons-sake-new-york-jets-may-end-this-wide-receiver-drought

Is the $80 mil gtd really a big deal in 2022?  With the way gtd money is skyrocketing, you'd only have to sign a few guys to deals of 3+ years and you'd get there in a hurry.  Sign a couple solid players to 4 or 5 year deals and it's a virtual lock.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No on Thibodeaux (no sh*t) but maybe a yes on…Kyle Hamilton!

4. No dibs on Thibs: A lot of fans want the Jets to draft Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeauxbecause they need an edge rusher (so what else is new?) and he's a big name. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they take Thibodeaux with the fourth pick.

One AFC scout called him "overrated," saying Thibodeaux lacks the natural bend to be an elite outside pass-rusher. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has questioned his fire. Some talent evaluators wonder about his commitment to football, saying he spends too much time talking about off-the-field interests.

Let's be clear: These opinions didn't come from anyone affiliated with the Jets, but the emerging narrative makes me believe he's not a fit in coach Robert Saleh's "all-gas, no brake" world.

6. Ball hawk needed: The addition of Whitehead, along with the return of Lamarcus Joyner, improves the safety situation, but the defense still lacks a playmaker on the back end. Some folks in the scouting community still think the Jets could draft Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, who would be the ideal complement to Whitehead. The Jets need a deep stopper after allowing a league-high 33 completions of 20-plus air yards.

Rgr so the big pass rusher everyone likes is trash and he thinks we still want to draft a safety inbthr top 10. I forget sometimes how trash our best guys are.

Joe D is not taking a safety in the top 10. I guarantee it.

And if thibs is no good Saleh will know it. We are taking out pick of the litter at 4 and who ever it is will be be a safe pick.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Generational talents do not run 4.6, Hamilton is generational just like lawrence was last year, as in NOT.

He had terrible technique in his 40. Lets see what he runs at his pro day on the 25th. His on the field football speed never seemed an issue. I’m far more concerned about his inability to return to play following a knee injury despite multiple plasma rich injections. Frankly, I’d rather trade out of 4, but i think if the Jets can’t, JD will be  in a bad spot having to pick a guy higher than he deserves to fill a team need or pick the highest rated player even though the jets have less need at the position.

• Upvote 1

I think it will be Icky at #4 and Wilson, if he makes it there, at #10. Icky is the best choice at #4, gives JD flexibility at OT and Guard and allows him to move Becton if needed. Very low bust potential, makes our run game and pass game better and removes a Zach Wilson reason for failing. Wilson is the greatest position of need on the team, we will draft a WR in Round 1.

Just now, OilfieldJet said:

I think it will be Icky at #4 and Wilson, if he makes it there, at #10. Icky is the best choice at #4, gives JD flexibility at OT and Guard and allows him to move Becton if needed. Very low bust potential, makes our run game and pass game better and removes a Zach Wilson reason for failing. Wilson is the greatest position of need on the team, we will draft a WR in Round 1.

The only way you take Ekwonu at this point is if you’re dead set on trading Becton.

Otherwise, it doesn’t really make sense with Tomlinson now in the fold.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I really don't like the idea of it.  The team desperately needs playmakers.

With that said, I get the sense the Jets don't like McGovern - they seem to have been trying to replace him for two years now..  So, it wouldn't shock me if you were right.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Imagine defending a team giving Christian Kirk 84 million dollars.  Sheeeeeeeeeesh.  That would almost be as bad as defending the idea of giving up multiple draft picks for a 30 year old wide receiver, just so you can have the exclusive rights to pay him 28.5 million dollars per year.

Oh wait, you’re doing that too.

Please tell me how much the Giants are loving the fact that they “paid retail” for Kenny Golladay to put up worse stats than Corey Davis last year.  I need something to laugh about today.

Jets Fans talk about paying players like Woody's going to send us a refund in the mail 

80 million sounds like alot except for the fact that they were 120 under for 2023

The roster is underfunded every season, this one too 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

What I'm hoping for:

Sauce + Walker/Johnson

What I think happens:

Walker + London

I really don't believe we want a Safety in the top 10. I'm hoping Sauce can make it to 10 so we can get our edge at 4 but there is a chance he doesn't get passed the Lions. Aaron Glenn didn't draft Okudah who has only started 7 games in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What I'm hoping for:

Sauce + Walker/Johnson

What I think happens:

Walker + London

I really don't believe we want a Safety in the top 10. I'm hoping Sauce can make it to 10 so we can get our edge at 4 but there is a chance he doesn't get passed the Lions. Aaron Glenn didn't draft Okudah who has only started 7 games in 2 years.

What I’m hoping for:  thibs/wilson

what i think happens:  thibs, then wilson goes to atlanta, jets trade out of 10 and take penning. Don’t address wr until round 2 and take another 2nd round stiff.

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I really could see JD waiting for the second and third rounds to address edge and taking 2 players.

That would be interesting.   I have not caught up on this mega thread .. what do you see happening in the 1st two rounds ?

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets Fans talk about paying players like Woody's going to send us a refund in the mail 

80 million sounds like alot except for the fact that they were 120 under for 2023

Just because you repeat something doesn’t make it true. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only way you take Ekwonu at this point is if you’re dead set on trading Becton.

Otherwise, it doesn’t really make sense with Tomlinson now in the fold.

I understand, and taking Laken changed my thinking, but Becton can’t be trusted until he proves otherwise, I’m not sold on Fant as “the answer” and other than AVT, the rest of the line are below average. I’m definitely taking the glass half full perspective. 

WR is our biggest need. I believe WR in Round 1 is a given, and I like Wilson best.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are going to draft a wr at 10 because they are too cheap to actually participate in the high end free agent wide out market 

It's that simple. If Christian kirk gets 84 million, and Devonta Adams gets hundreds, then the Jets have to draft their Mike Evans. Because they are not going to pay for one retail 

Wait, you want to pay Christian Kirk 84 million?!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What I’m hoping for:  thibs/wilson

what i think happens:  thibs, then wilson goes to atlanta, jets trade out of 10 and take penning. Don’t address wr until round 2 and take another 2nd round stiff.

Yea I'm kinda thinking of it in how can we get the best value and who would be available there. Like my draft strategy is:

4) Edge

10) CB

35) WR

38) S

69) TE/LB

4a) TE/LB

4b) RB

5a) Developmental OT

5b) Developmental G

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Depth for the year, let Fant go after the season.

You don’t draft an OL in the Top 5 with the intention of him being a backup as a rookie.

If the Jets decide to trade Becton (which I think has a higher chance of happening than many tend to believe), then I’m not totally against Ekwonu, though even then I’d still prefer taking a guy like Penning at #10.

But if you’re keeping Becton, then you take one of the edgerushers, Gardner or even Wilson at #4.

Over the last 23 months, Douglas has invested big money in Fant, McGovern and Tomlinson while also investing two Top 15 picks in Becton and AVT.

To further invest a Top 5 pick in the unit after all of that is just silly unless you’ve reached the conclusion that Becton is a fat, immature puss who doesn’t posses the drive to be successful and you want nothing to do with him moving forward.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I'm kinda thinking of it in how can we get the best value and who would be available there. Like my draft strategy is:

4) Edge

10) CB

35) WR

38) S

69) TE/LB

4a) TE/LB

4b) RB

5a) Developmental OT

5b) Developmental G

I think the problem for the jets this draft is that by the time the draft comes around wilson will be the clear cut best wr and will go before #10, so the jets will be faced with the decision of taking a good RT, trading back and maybe taking someone like burks if they like him enough, or simply addressing the position on day 2 and hoping for the best.  Since that never works I hope douglas has a plan B and C in case his wrs aren’t there.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Here we go again.  

broken-record-with-blank-label-picture-i

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

4) Edge

10) CB

35) WR

38) S

69) TE/LB

4a) TE/LB

4b) RB

5a) Developmental OT

5b) Developmental G

I think Douglas is gonna try everything he can to trade back from 10. It's just no mans land. You might as well get an extra pick. Unless they LOVE one guy. 

I think it's EDGE and then OT if they stay though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Depending on how the board falls etc I don't think this is a bad strategy as there should be some good EDGE players in Round 2 and 3.

However...if Walker or Hutchinson are there at 4 I don't think we pass on either.