The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

On Twitter btw there are a TON of 49ers fans who think the Jets will trade #10 AND Elijah Moore. Not sure JD would trade Elijah straight up. I wouldn't.

kind of like those that assumed a tyreke hill package included moore, which we know was not accurate

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Based upon Douglas's time as the GM, I have a hard time believing he would give up a king's ransom for any player or be willing to pay Samuel top 5 WR money. 

Deboo is not looking for top 5 money at the wr position.  He wants to be the highest paid non-qb in the league.

Hence, this is a huge waste of time to discuss as Joe D would laugh at that.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is a lesser player in that case, who as a defense you do not have to game plan to be a runner, thus affecting almost very way he is used.

He was used in a way that was maximally efficient last year making him the big threat player he is now.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, his effectiveness as a player will dive if he is just a wr.

You are right.

What a dumb dumb he must be to even let it out about how he was used. If he had just kept his mouth shut he would have better chances at being moved 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Deboo is not looking for top 5 money at the wr position.  He wants to be the highest paid non-qb in the league.

Hence, this is a huge waste of time to discuss as Joe D would laugh at that.

Right now it is actually the same thing. Another way to say it would be Deebo want's Hill's contract plus a little.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

next post after it is confirmed Jets & JD are interested will be

"Of course Douglas is doing his due diligence. That's his job and he'd be negligent not to. He will not be trading any significant resources and paying a WR. Jets will draft a DE at 4 and the best WR in the draft at 10"

unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

You nailed it!  Great job!!  

1 hour ago, derp said:

I don’t think it’s likely SF trades him within the conference to a title contender in GB, and I don’t know if the Chiefs have room, it’d be weird for KC to effectively flip Hill for Samuel to save $5M or so.

Yeah, but Deebo has leverage in that he can tell the Jets he simply won’t sign a contract here, which results in the Niners having to either let him sit out or take the Packers offer. I’d imagine they’d just take the Packers offer and go about their day. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets don’t think he’s even being moved!

Feels like the 49ers are tryna pull a Joe Douglas/Jamal Adams "he a jet 4 life" posture and people aren't hearing it. 

I really don't want to give up the 10, but I'm wondering if, in this draft class, I'd rather keep the combination of picks on day 2 as they might be more valuable? More opportunities to "hit" in a year where the draft is deeper as opposed to top-heavy?

Completely irrational and doesn't matter - but for some reason it matters that DeeBo wears 19, just like Keyshawn. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And his career and availability as a WR will be cut short if he continues to receive 50-60 carries a season.  I just don't necessarily believe trading and paying for someone the year after a career season is the best strategy.  I'm torn as to whether to go after him.

Ill try to sway you from being torn... :) 

He wont get 60 carries a season at the WR price he will get paid. That's lunacy. 

He played in a run heavy offense with a top 25-32 QB in the league. Hill and Adams, who just got paid, had two future hall of famers for years, one with a hall of fame, offensive minded head coach. 

In 2025 when he is 29 years old (like Hill and Adams) are you going to then want to pay him 30 mil a year? Heck no, you do it on the upswing. 

How much more do you need? the film is there, the production is there, ripe age of 26. This guy is on his way up, I'm convinced. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He was willing to pay Hill, not sure why he wouldn't be willing to pay Deebo if he thinks his on field performance will stay similar.

Reminds of comments last year “Joe Douglas is not the type of GM who trades up for players”. Then we traded up for AVT. Oops.

We dont have enough data to say who Joe Douglas is. We can say with some confidence that he wont overpay for a player in terms of contract and draft capital. But that doesnt necessarily mean he wont trade for Deebo. Just that he wont overpay him. It’s up to JD to decide what his value is. 

• Upvote 1

Challenge with Deebo is he is a guy, like Treylon Burks who is schemed open... not a bonafide separation receiver.  He would complement our WRs well, but the price for a guy who needs to be schemed open tends to be less than for a true X receiver.  How that factors in to draft compensation and salary is trickier here than it was for Tyreek Hill or Davante Adams.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm dying to know what you're programmed to say if we actually trade for him.

Ill tell you now.  Id say,  not a smart move.  Joe D got impatient and panicked.  You can get jameson williams or garrett wilson who are both better prospects then Deebo coming out and pay them nothing for 5 years.

Its not about the 2022 season.  We are still building this up.

This is about the decade of dominance coming our way.  And paying an absurd amount of money for Deebo Samuel will derail that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Ill tell you now.  Id say,  not a smart move.  Joe D got impatient and panicked.  You can get jameson williams or garrett wilson who are both better prospects then Deebo coming out and pay them nothing for 5 years.

This is about the decade of dominance coming our way.  And paying an absurd amount of money for Deebo Samuel will derail that.

Who are these all pros that forbids the Jets from signing a big time contract player for the next 4 years?  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, GangGreen Machine said:

Who are these all pros that forbids the Jets from signing a big time contract player for the next 4 years?  

Thats not what it is about.  This guy has played only 3 years in the league, has only had 1 good season and has the gall to demand to be the highest paid non-qb in the league or be traded???????

You start this precendant as a franchise and its curtains.  Every decent player we have will have demands after 3 years.  Joe you paid Deebo after 3, pay me!

There is 0 chance Deboo is on this team and its not worth my time so enjoy wasting yours.

• Thumb Down 2

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Feels like the 49ers are tryna pull a Joe Douglas/Jamal Adams "he a jet 4 life" posture and people aren't hearing it. 

I really don't want to give up the 10, but I'm wondering if, in this draft class, I'd rather keep the combination of picks on day 2 as they might be more valuable? More opportunities to "hit" in a year where the draft is deeper as opposed to top-heavy?

Completely irrational and doesn't matter - but for some reason it matters that DeeBo wears 19, just like Keyshawn. 

?

35,38,69 are much more valuable than 10. We’ve all been arguing how much it sucks to pick in the top 10. But now we draw the line. Lol. Id much rather multiple shots on day 2 than 1 shot on day 1 in this draft.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wait a minute.  You're telling me that Williams (who is rehabbing an ACL) and Wilson are what?  Listen, prospects are suspect until proven they can play in the NFL.  Deebo is a proven player in this league and I'm not even advocating getting him.  You bring up about a decade of dominance on college kids that you have no clue will be playing 3-4 years from now in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats not what it is about.  This guy has played only 3 years in the league, has only had 1 good season and has the gall to demand to be the highest paid non-qb in the league or be traded???????

You start this precendant as a franchise and its curtains.  Every decent player we have will have demands after 3 years.  Joe you paid Deebo after 3, pay me!

There is 0 chance Deboo is on this team and its not worth my time so enjoy wasting yours.

Your thoughts are based on what you want the Jets to do not what Joe Douglas is likely to do. The Jets have been in almost every discussion for a veteran WR trade. Joe Douglas wants to pair Zach with a veteran WR. 

The 49ers don't have a pick in this draft till 61, they'll be pushing for #10 overall to get back into the first round.  I could see the Jets moving #10 overall and getting Deebo plus a 2023 2nd round pick in return.  That pick will likely be better than their current 61st overall pick in the 2nd round this year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but Deebo has leverage in that he can tell the Jets he simply won’t sign a contract here, which results in the Niners having to either let him sit out or take the Packers offer. I’d imagine they’d just take the Packers offer and go about their day. 

In a vacuum sure, but there are 29 other teams too. I’m sure if he tries to force his way to the Packers they’ll tell him to shove it, and I’m sure Samuel understands that. Hell Hill and Adams just went to the Dolphins and Raiders.

The examples you gave are appealing for the player I’m sure, but not realistic trade destinations IMO and there’s more of a juxtaposition than a choice Samuel will actually make.

It’ll be like, Jets vs. Falcons or something. Something closer to Hill’s decision. Doesn’t mean he’ll be a Jet but I don’t think it’ll be as cut and dry as Packers or Chiefs, think the Chiefs already leaked they’re out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

In a vacuum sure, but there are 29 other teams too. I’m sure if he tries to force his way to the Packers they’ll tell him to shove it, and I’m sure Samuel understands that. Hell Hill and Adams just went to the Dolphins and Raiders.

The examples you gave are appealing for the player I’m sure, but not realistic trade destinations IMO and there’s more of a juxtaposition than a choice Samuel will actually make.

It’ll be like, Jets vs. Falcons or something. Something closer to Hill’s decision. Doesn’t mean he’ll be a Jet but I don’t think it’ll be as cut and dry as Packers or Chiefs, think the Chiefs already leaked they’re out.

And Atlanta is not giving up #8 if they can snag a QB. Their 2nd rounders are 43 & 58