Bruce Arians Retires, Bowles In At HC

Grandy

6 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t know if this is true, but definitely sounds plausible. And if it is true, I’m an even bigger fan of BA than I already was 

It's what was quoted in the NFL.com article.  https://www.nfl.com/news/bruce-arians-retiring-as-buccaneers-head-coach-todd-bowles-to-succeed-him

Arians exact words are as follows:

I wanted to ensure when I walked away that Todd Bowles would have the best opportunity to succeed. So many head coaches come into situations where they are set up for failure, and I didn't want that for Todd. Tom (Brady)'s decision to come back, along with Jason and his staff doing another great job of keeping the core of this team intact during free agency, confirmed for me that it was the right time to pass the torch to Todd.

Assuming that's the real motivation behind this, it's a very stand-up move to make by Arians.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Pac said:

Bowles was a horrific, emotionless, boring, coach who ruined our best chance at the playoffs in the last decade and subsequently gutted this team of all entertainment value for a number of years.  His teams were lifeless, boring, and ill prepared.

Any success Tampa has will be due to a talent rich team with a cheating QB who has a different set of rules than anyone else.

Good point and sadly he was arguably better than the 2 Jets HC that followed him.

13 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Hey, I can do what I want...no sense of humor here. 

We're Jets fans who care enough to post on a message board about this inept franchise.  We all have to have a terrific sense of humor or else we wouldn't be here.  Ever meet any Lions fans?  They tend to be some of the funnier people you'll meet.

12 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

It was funny to me...people need to lighten up.  If you can't make fun of yourself or topics without being nasty, no wonder why this country is in the damn toilet.  

You weren't, and aren't, participating in self-deprecating humor.  If you were, then you wouldn't have made these 2 overly sensitive posts above.  

If no one is laughing then your "joke" simply wasn't funny.  It isn't a statement on the world or the country, and no one got "nasty".  It just wasn't funny, and you got a neg rep bomb as a result.  Just take the L and move on to the next one, ya snowflake.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Grandy said:

Bowles wasn't good for us, but was always a good coordinator that just lacked the management skills needed to be successful. Hope he's overcome those and can be successful in this high profile role. Was always a good guy.

I came here to say the same thing.  I really liked Bowles.   He's got a nice roster and the GOAT as QB now along with more experience under his belt.  I'm sure he's going to fair well as HC.  Also hope BA is OK.  He's had those heath issues.  I liked him a lot as a HC.  All the best for both TB and BA. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pac said:

Bowles was a horrific, emotionless, boring, coach who ruined our best chance at the playoffs in the last decade and subsequently gutted this team of all entertainment value for a number of years.  His teams were lifeless, boring, and ill prepared.

Any success Tampa has will be due to a talent rich team with a cheating QB who has a different set of rules than anyone else.

^^^ Naturally, the guy who still thinks Maccagnan was a good GM blames Bowles entirely for the result of the 2015 season as well as the miserable subsequent seasons.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

As long as Brady doesn't blast himself out of town.

Not a chance.  I'm sure Brady is happy about this.  Tom wants to run the offense.  Even Arians has said that Brady was more or less the offensive coach of the team and made his job easy.  Bowles will let Brady play more of a role in calling the offense and running the offense.  This is really a nice match for both Bowles and Brady.  They are going to work well together. 

2 hours ago, sec143dmf said:

Ban what. It’s a statement from the nfl. I didn’t say it. It is what it is. Truth

I love when stupid people do stupid things then play stupid instead of having the sack to own their behavior.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Saleh was a mediocre defensive coordinator and so far has destroyed Zach, Mims and Becton.   So far as bad as Bowles was as the Jets HC, he was the better than both Gase and Saleh.  

Becton and Mims were doomed to fail.  Saleh had nothing to do with it.  Kick JD in the ass for that.   Also.  Despite a major shortage of talent, the defensive was remarkably effective considering.  Saleh did a good job with a third string defense. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Becton and Mims were doomed to fail.  Saleh had nothing to do with it.  Kick JD in the ass for that.   Also.  Despite a major shortage of talent, the defensive was remarkably effective considering.  Saleh did a good job with a third string defense. 

Yet both showed more with Gase than Saleh.   

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

There were games last  year where the defense made literally zero stops. That's not a "good job" even with an admittedly horrible talent pool to work with.  

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There were games last  year where the defense made literally zero stops. That's not a "good job" even with an admittedly horrible talent pool to work with.  

That's fact, yes.  But there were more games that a poorly staffed defense actually kept the score from getting out of hand, even with a QB that was running for his life most of the time. 

The Jets got totally hozed down in five games.  The rest of them were respectable scores.  

Keep in mind, you never saw/heard of any locker room back biting or malcontent BS coming from any of they players at any time.  You also saw a consistent effort at all times of the season even if they were losing.  You also didn't see any procedural penalties on first down or at the beginning of a quarter or a half.  No foolish clock management issues.  And you never once heard anything immature or jerky from Saleh at any of the pressers.   All VERY good indications of a quality top administrator/HC.

Saleh is a good man and good HC.  The Jets problem has been roster talent.

At least it looks like JD is making some progress with the recent FA additions.

And once more... I have to say.  This will all come down to Wilson.  If he emerges as a decent QB, the Jets and Saley will fair well this year.  If Wilson sucks, Saleh and the wont be well regarded. 

36 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I love when stupid people do stupid things then play stupid instead of having the sack to own their behavior.

True, but there's at least a 5 % chance that Dunning-Kruger is in play here and he legitimately thinks that's a "statement from the NFL" and/or a legitimate news story.

Take a look at that Tampa schedule in 2022...13 wins would be impressive for the Buccaneers. They'll likely go 5-1 in their division, splitting with the Saints. I can see them going 2-2 vs the NFC West and 2-2 vs the AFC North. Then maybe 2-1 vs the other 3: vs Chiefs, vs Packers, at Cowboys.

11-6 seems right

13-4 is if everyone stays healthy and the balls are inflated perfect. 

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Bowles finally gets a QB

Watch him to real well 

Dungy and Manning with Tom Moore is the template. All they want Bowles to do is run the defense and stay out of the way of Brady and Moore. As long as Brady stays upright, could work. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Dudes triggered by the exceedingly qualified Todd Bowles getting a job in a league that gave jobs to Joe Judge and Matt Patricia.

Looking for evidence of Joe Judge or Matt Patricia punting down 2 scores late in 4th quarter with a hopeless nonplayoff team.....thus far...none. 

Again, as long as Bowles stays out of the offense and Brady stays healthy, not crazy to say it could work. If Barry Switzer could get a Super Bowl title with a super-talented team, could happen again. 

Not sure Bowles is any good at running a defense based off the playoffs. But part of that is the rules bend so much toward scoring almost impossible to stop a good passing attack. Just stand there coach with that blank stare, and try to stop the other team, OK? Seen people show more emotion opening their phone bill than Bowles has ever expressed on an NFL sideline. 

Will always recall that dark draft day when Bowles smiled ear to ear as the Jets took 2 safeties, and Adams over a stud QB. That nobody went into the draft room and broke stuff and people  is something he and everyone working at Florham Park that day need to be reminded of every goddamn day. 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Larz said:

Bowles wants nothing to do with the offense. It would take 5 first round picks minimum , all to get a guy  who retired once already.  

who is trading for him and why would Brady want out ?

I don't think he would but there are rumors about Miami, which would likely be due to his wife.

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Or where Saleh doesnt actually coach a unit.  

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't think he would but there are rumors about Miami, which would likely be due to his wife.

Or that mansion he is building next to Jared and Ivanka on Indian Creek, the nicest neighborhood in America?

On 3/31/2022 at 3:16 PM, THE BARON said:

Holy crap are you Saleh’s agent?

Kacy Rodgers has been demoted to CO-DC.

I guess that is what Bowles meant when he said he learned from his Jets HC experience.  

Once Brady and Leftwich leave (BL will be an HC), Bowles is toast.  I could coach the Bucs to the playoffs.