Dwayne Haskins dies after fatal accident

Bronx

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

People never die in any of the other 49 states. 

Was in an SUV going doing the correct speed limit. Car comes up behind us going 40 something percent over the limit. Hits us in the dead center of the passenger side. Flips us over. Totals the car. Leaves the scene. They find them. They get a ticket for careless driving and a ticket for leaving the scene. Their insurance didn't cover a penny.

They could have killed us. Two tickets. Cop tells us if we were killed or seriously injured it would have been more than tickets. Thank God for side airbags or I'd be typing this with my mouth like Stephen fckin Hawking.

This happens in 49 other states too, I guess.

Florida is ****ing special.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

JFC someone needs to tell Gil Brandt he's too old and just needs to call it quits.

What the holy f*ck....

I've been feeling and saying for years that Brandt sounds senile on his late show on Sirius/XM.  They make it appear that he recalls all these facts and stats but it's increasingly obvious he's reading them.  He rambles and those slots have become a no-fly zone for me, which annoys me since that's usually my go-to channel when I'm driving.  Alex Marvez probably deserves a medal for propping him up all this time but maybe now they'll finally shuffle him off to pasture and make that slot listenable again. 

M, T, Thu 7pm-10pm.  I'm almost morbidly curious to hear if callers have to get shut down for blasting Gil live on Monday evening.  Maybe that's what it will finally take for NFL Radio to come to their senses.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Was in an SUV going doing the correct speed limit. Car comes up behind us going 40 something percent over the limit. Hits us in the dead center of the passenger side. Flips us over. Totals the car. Leaves the scene. They find them. They get a ticket for careless driving and a ticket for leaving the scene. Their insurance didn't cover a penny.

They could have killed us. Two tickets. Cop tells us if we were killed or seriously injured it would have been more than tickets. Thank God for side airbags or I'd be typing this with my mouth like Stephen fckin Hawking.

Apparently you've never been on the LIE.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Either every state is the same orrrrr things are magical

It was a tragic freak accident. The side of a highway is extremely dangerous. We had a friend hit by a box truck on the side of the LIE, similar circumstances to this. Has nothing to do with the state. I will say Florida has a lot of bad drivers though.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Or the 405 in LA. I had a dear friend that was an Army Ranger that died a similar way in rural Kentucky. I've kept emergency flares in both cars since that happened.

What a strange hill to die on for some of you.

Yeah, I put a plastic box with all that stuff in it. All 7 damn cars at one time, had enough experience breaking down to know night time broken down is dangerous AF, I95 for me, almost got creamed. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

The second post in this thread should have been, "May the Good Lord rest Dwayne Haskins' soul..."

Then, the thread should have been locked...

Limit the opportunity for the dark side of humanity to expose itself...

The dark side of humanity is on display in Ukraine.  Not here.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, IndianaJet said:

So sad....meanwhile...Schefter is getting the business on Twitter for his original tweet:

I disagree.

I have no problem with Schefter mentioning his struggles.

Football is the only reason any one of us know about him. I dont mind context of his career (the only reason we know him) being shared when he passes.

I've also never understood why people write "RIP" or "Their family is in my thoughts". It does nothing.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Facts said:

I disagree.

Football is the only reason any one of us know about him. I dont mind context of his career (the only reason we know him) being shared when he passes.

I've also never understood why people write "RIP" or "Their family is in my thoughts". It does nothing.

Ok.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Warfish said:

This thread has been very odd.  Very odd indeed.

It has been. Few thoughts:

1. You r right schefter didnt say anything remotely foul

2. so what if its in florida? Even my floridian wife said “ figures” when she heard.

3. Y do people pretend to not understand why anyone would live here? Is it the great weather? Great beaches? Beautiful flora? Fun music festivals? Fishing? Boating? Im the opposite…. Not sure why anyone would torture themselves up north with 6 months of dead trees , high taxes and cold

4. Making jokes about him is fed up. Speculating on him being drunk is not. Fair game

5. what the heck did brandt mean when he alluded to his “lifestyle”?

1 hour ago, Facts said:

I disagree.

But those who he disrespected the most were those who knew him outside of football family, friends, etc....  

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

It has been. Few thoughts:

1. You r right schefter didnt say anything remotely foul

Thank you. 

My view on that hasn't changed, and every article I've read from reputable news has included some aspect of his poor NFL career in their reporting on who he is/why his death is being reported as news.  I am sure Shefty, in his mind, was simply doing the "news reporter" thing.  I doubt it was personal or intended to be an insult.

2. so what if its in florida? Even my floridian wife said “ figures” when she heard.

Florida is just a well-known meme now.  I doubt anyone meant any real harm citing that meme. 

3. Y do people pretend to not understand why anyone would live here? Is it the great weather? Great beaches? Beautiful flora? Fun music festivals? Fishing? Boating? Im the opposite…. Not sure why anyone would torture themselves up north with 6 months of dead trees , high taxes and cold

I'm sure it's great.

Then again, you're bugs are f'ing huge.  Pass.  

4. Making jokes about him is fed up. Speculating on him being drunk is not. Fair game

The lack of reporting on the specifics leads to speculation in odd cases such as this.  People want to know why this happened, and in the absence of official word, they'll fill the gaps with speculation, especially in the case of a guy who, despite all the love, was clearly a troubled young man here in his time in DC. 

With that said, there is no evidence yet that it was anything other than horrifically bad decision making.  Never try to cross an active interstate highway.  Never.  Stay with your car, wait for or flag down or call for help.  

5. what the heck did brandt mean when he alluded to his “lifestyle”?

Haskins had issues here in DC with partying and being late night activities kinda guy, reportedly.  I can only presume he meant that.

Brandt's comments were out of line, far more than Shefty IMO.  But he's also seemingly senile and in his 90's, and maybe should never have been on the radio in the first place, all things considered.

4 hours ago, OMA said:

But those who he disrespected the most were those who knew him outside of football family, friends, etc....  

It doesn’t disrespect any family or friends because he mentioned a players struggles.

Any disrespect felt is the result of a weak mind, not an actual insult.

1 hour ago, Facts said:

It doesn’t disrespect any family or friends because he mentioned a players struggles.

Any disrespect felt is the result of a weak mind, not an actual insult.

Even if that was true, any family or friends of a lost loved one - particularly one taken so young - are always justified in having a weak mind at that time.

Is there something morally wrong with merely mentioning it? Probably not, but the timing in particular doesn't show a lot of class either.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

I would have sued them to bankruptcy.