Do you give a free pass?

I think this the best draft in recent history. On paper, this team is better on both sides of the ball. Do I think they are going to win the Super Bowl? No. Win the division? No. Get in playoffs on a wild card? I’d say there is an outside shot. 

The question is, do Wilson and Saleh get a free pass this year? Ya the team is better, but also very young. If the offense struggles, do you write off this year as a growth year? Or do you have a set number of “bad” games before both coach and/or QB are officially on the hot seat?

I think the time for excuses is quickly coming to an end (barring all of these picks being busts), but I don’t think I go into the season with a target on any backs unless they somehow start worse than last year. Curious on y’alls thoughts.

A truly disgusting moment in the post-draft presser was when Douglas praised Saleh for “playing the young guys” last year, thus confirming that the whole org viewed it as a redshirt season, and also that they conspired to kneecap Mike White despite the wishes of everyone else on the football team. Douglas then went out and replaced most of those “young players” with new players that he will, no doubt, use as an excuse when the team wins <6 games again this year. They are a group of entitled, self-congratulating, Peter-principled goons that better luck into nine wins this year or the pressure is going to be turned to to a million PSI for 2023, and it’s hard to go from “hey man, six wins is fine” to “holy sh*t, we need to make a playoff run to save our jobs” inside of twelve months.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A truly disgusting moment in the post-draft presser was when Douglas praised Saleh for “playing the young guys” last year, thus confirming that the whole org viewed it as a redshirt season, and also that they conspired to kneecap Mike White despite the wishes of everyone else on the football team. Douglas then went out and replaced most of those “young players” with new players that he will, no doubt, use as an excuse when the team wins <6 games again this year. They are a group of entitled, self-congratulating, Peter-principled goons that better luck into nine wins this year or the pressure is going to be turned to to a million PSI for 2023, and it’s hard to go from “hey man, six wins is fine” to “holy sh*t, we need to make a playoff run to save our jobs” inside of twelve months.

Who was replaced? At one point our top wr was Braxton berrios last yr.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Those young guys are now the heart of the roster.  

The depth.  

They've been seasoned and will be ready when forced to play when it matters.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

this has to be satire

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t Mike White lose feeling in his hand when he tapped someone’s helmet and then followed that up with a 4 Int performance?

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Douglas and Saleh are here for the next 10-15 years.  There will be no reason to give them a free pass because is going to be a tough, competitive football team this year that is going to win between 7-9 games.

Maybe more if a few balls bounce our way.

IT's so hard to imagine having a HC and or GM that lasts more than 5 years...  being the JETS.  How nice would that be.  Having a HC that year in year out, seems to be the right guy.  i.e.  John Harbaugh.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

None of this is terribly untrue, modestly slanted, like the side of the car I sit in, but not a complete falsehood. I can’t help but wonder how it would have gone different if Mike White didn’t get hurt. Not sure the eventual outcome would have been much different, but it wouid have certainly been more interesting. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Didn’t Mike White lose feeling in his hand when he tapped someone’s helmet and then followed that up with a 4 Int performance?

He got speared in the wrist by DeForest Buckner—who is built like Thanos—while dropping a dime TD to Elijah Moore!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

None of this is terribly untrue, modestly slanted, like the side of the car I sit in, but not a complete falsehood. I can’t help but wonder how it would have gone different if Mike White didn’t get hurt. Not sure the eventual outcome would have been much different, but it wouid have certainly been more interesting. 

I joke about Mike White, but not giving him the start against the Dolphins and having Saleh transparently lie about the reason they were benching him was a terrible look for the administration and where their priorities are. Babying Zach Wilson is not the way to help Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

If Wilson sucks again, you replace him with a Vet or draft another QB.  Sometimes you have to admit your mistake and then fix it.

Unless he really sucks you bring in a vet for a real competition in camp next season.   It won’t get that far.  It’s going to be a fun season.   The new rookies need a season, but next year we will see the last 2 classes for real.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I joke about Mike White, but not giving him the start against the Dolphins and having Saleh transparently lie about the reason they were benching him was a terrible look for the administration and where their priorities are. Babying Zach Wilson is not the way to help Zach Wilson. 

Be it as it may, from here on in Zach going to have to earn his stripes. This draft, as I see it, was about helping Zach as much as it was about helping themselves stay employed if Zach can’t cut it. You may not approve of the path  they took to get here. But rest assured we are here. It’s all on Zach to prove he’s the 1.

• Upvote 4

There's a lot of variables that go into it. I think the Dolphins last season are a good example. They lost 7 straight games and won 7 straight games. Their schedule gave them some stiffer competition early then they beat a bunch of bad teams. They weren't very good.

If the Jets miss the playoffs, but have around 8 wins and 3 of those in the division then I can see a scenario of running it back with Wilson, Saleh and Douglas. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Who though? 

The secondary for one.  Guys we thought would be starting this year are now depth pieces with a lot of game snaps.  

All the linebackers outside of Mosley are kids with experience now. The S/LB hybrids got their feet wet. 

Basically the entire back half of the defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah. It's disgusting and indefensible to play young players at the end of a season when you 1) have a bunch of veterans that are injured and can't play (who sat that should have played?) and 2) you need to evaluate them to see if they are worthy of  consideration for a roster spot moving forward.  I get that the players want to win every week, but it is up to the grown ups in the room to determine what is best for the franchise moving forward. Unless you are joking here, or looking for a reaction like mine, this post completely misses the mark.  I just don't understand the mentality of wanting an extra win or two in the prior season when those wins don't qualify you for the playoffs.  

As for Mike White, with so many teams needing QBs this offseason and seeing how the teams thought very little of the QB draft class this year, why didn't some team reach out and try to trade for him?  Your Mike White infatuation is OOC.  He may be a decent back up QB, but he was not kneecapped.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Rebuild is now officially over. 

The biggest and most glaring single question mark remains the most vital position on the field:  Zach Wilson, QB.

As he rises, so shall we.  If he fails, so shall we.

I know I see things with green glasses, but the team rising and falling doesn't rest on Zach's shoulder's unless you're talking championships. 

This roster is loaded with potential and this system has proven to be successful with less than great quarterbacks. 

We can win a lot of games with Zach being a manager and hitting the occasional deep shot to keep defenses from crowding the box. 

Now, if you're talking winning the whole thing multiple times, yes it falls on Zach.

Unless they replace him in 2024.  

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, NJ said:

There was a too much good that came out of the Jet's offense after White stepped into the exact same set of conditions that Zach had wet the bed in to be a total anomaly or fluke.

Yeah, truth there, literally HOF worthy for one game. Makes you think. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, truth there, literally HOF worthy for one game. Makes you think. 

One part of me says don't get rid of him but the other side says lets see what he'd do elsewhere - that would be telling.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

All this from you because they didn’t draft an OT

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3