Daniel Jeremiah- “Mims, I have been told, is off the charts in the offseason stuff."

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
5 hours ago, Warfish said:
What point are you trying to make here exactly?

Comparing results of a rookie to a vet with a better OL will lead u to the results u posted.

That Tom Shane posted.

So your theory is that Davis's catch rate declined from 70.7% to 59% because Zach was a rookie, and because Zach's O-line was worse.

So is it the takeaway here that the actual passes thrown to Davis were demonstrably worse, because "Zach was a rookie" and because our O-line gave less protection?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

the reality is until mims isn't a jet he's a jet asset.  there's a chance that he can come back strong and press someone for a starting job.  or the jets keep up the good talk since he's still a potential trade chip.  i also don't think the jets are so happy to give up on mim's obvious talent.  he's tall and fast.  who knows if saleh was making some sort of wise crack last season about mims not knowing all of the wr positions.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, freestater said:

Cant speak for anybody else, but for me it's the fact that I've paid attention to this team for a few decades. 

The decade before the last didn’t suck

I’d love to see those teams again

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Cant speak for anybody else, but for me it's the fact that I've paid attention to this team for a few decades. 

Some players do manage to reinvent themselves after a really poor start to their careers but it is extremely rare.

Until we hear some evidence out of training camp or better yet until we actually see some evidence showing up in games then Mims is a colossal bust.  Not a Vernon Gholston level bust but not too far off that either.  For all we know he hired himself a media consultant and this is nothing but pure spin.

I am with you freestater.  The history of the Jets suggest that we are not real lucky with these kinds of things.  Fingers crossed but expectations are low until Denzel gives us some reason to change them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Some players do manage to reinvent themselves after a really poor start to their careers but it is extremely rare.

Until we hear some evidence out of training camp or better yet until we actually see some evidence showing up in games then Mims is a colossal bust.  Not a Vernon Gholston level bust but not too far off that either.  For all we know he hired himself a media consultant and this is nothing but pure spin.

I am with you freestater.  The history of the Jets suggest that we are not real lucky with these kinds of things.  Fingers crossed but expectations are low until Denzel gives us some reason to change them.

I’ve basically thought that Mims has been unlucky but, also, that you make your own luck. But maybe he really has just been snake-bitten his first two years in the league. I’m getting this feeling that they really are pretty high on him inside the building. A lot of hype about the shape he’s in physically and mentally. Have to remember that they let two WRs go in free agency, brought none in, and drafted just one. Drafted him high, but there’s plenty of room on the roster for Mims to secure a spot, and I suspect that that’s by design. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Corey Davis did... He was considered a bust

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, freestater said:

I've been doing it since their first day of existence with the exception of 1969. Not bad, 1 year out of 62. LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The only point I would counter with is Mims actually showed some flashes as a rookie in Gase's system with Darnold as the QB.  This doesn't feel like a Devin Smith/Steven Hill type of situation to me.  I tend to agree with people that there was something else going on here that explains the drop off in year 2...

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

That Tom Shane posted.

So your theory is that Davis's catch rate declined from 70.7% to 59% because Zach was a rookie, and because Zach's O-line was worse.

So is it the takeaway here that the actual passes thrown to Davis were demonstrably worse, because "Zach was a rookie" and because our O-line gave less protection?

Hogwash.

Davis was already on a downward trend from the close of the prior season, when he caught only 9 of his last 19. This clearly carried over to the following season and yes this is the story I’m sticking with because those stats are the facts and stats don’t lie and stuff.

Seriously, though, the drops were on Davis. The tough catches weren’t credited as official drops. In reality there were a couple more that he really should’ve had, as a veteran 8-figure/year WR, even if the throws were just meh, since they did get two hands on them. 

Just counting the 5-6 that were inexcusable drops - call it 5 - he should’ve had no fewer than 39 receptions, or 66%. Given Wilson’s garbage early season, that’s really not tragic. Davis’s season was tragic. He was brought in to be a steadying force for a rookie QB and he was a drops machine followed by missing half the season.

You were down on him when the team picked him up. Stick with your winning hand. ;)  

• Upvote 1

If Mims puts up better stats than Garrett Wilson this year…  Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

I think a lot of people might lose their minds if Davis, Moore, Mims are the top 3 WR pass catchers in terms of yds and tds (with Wilson being phased in as a deep threat, gadget guy)

“Inconceivable” to most but we’ve also been spoiled by a few high end receivers hitting the ground running as rookies.  Not sure hit rate on wr1 or wr2 production from a rookie in Shanahan scheme is slam dunk…

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve come around to agreeing with you and (the very smug) @slats on this issue.

The irony here is that I have yet to approach the smugness that you brought with your absolute certainty that Ekwonu would be the pick, that the team was done with Becton before the draft, lol. I’m glad you’ve come around, though. You’re usually pretty smart when you feel like talking about football, and the idea of taking another OL was dumb. :) 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The irony here is that I have yet to approach the smugness that you brought with your absolute certainty that Ekwonu would be the pick, that the team was done with Becton before the draft, lol. I’m glad you’ve come around, though. You’re usually pretty smart when you feel like talking about football, and the idea of taking another OL was dumb. :) 

^^^Smug meter: DEFCON 5

• Haha 2