Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

44 minutes ago, David Harris said:

2nd and 3rd string Bryce Huff and Curry owned him today for 3 sacks in a handful of plays

But I’m glad you’re optimistic.

I don’t want him to fail.

I resent being called optimistic.  I'm simple practicing the Costanza method.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Also taking into account the couple of impressive throws Wilson made as seen on video and reported (Moore and CD I think) this is real good stuff. Especially when he struggled so much with pressure last year. Trending in the right direction.

I actually think the best part of that from Cimini is so many check downs.  It means Zach is playing within the offense.  Not trying to do too much but taking what's there.  He had a real problem with that early on last year.  That alone would translate to a major step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ooof. Becton getting roasted on outside moves again. Lawson ate him alive last summer by getting low. Wonder if that’s his Achilles heel or if it’s rust. We’ll find out in about a week I guess. 

Probably little bit of both but heat is tough on big guys, especially if he’s been living that air conditioning life. He’ll acclimate. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Coach isn't lying.  Even after Lawson went down we had a decent pass rush until Huff went down.  Then opposing teams had all day to pick us apart. 

I find it funny that we talk about Lawson and Huff a lot here, and everyone is excited for Johnson and Clemon.  But we gave Jacob Martin a $15 million contract for three years.  We should be wondering how he is doing because that was quite a bit of money for a depth player.  Unless, the plan was he wouldn't be just a depth player.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I find it funny that we talk about Lawson and Huff a lot here, and everyone is excited for Johnson and Clemon.  But we gave Jacob Martin a $15 million contract for three years.  We should be wondering how he is doing because that was quite a bit of money for a depth player.  Unless, the plan was he wouldn't be just a depth player.

As a DE there's no way he's a starter on this team, but as Saleh likes a heavy rotation, I suspect he'll get his reps.  Good point though.  He's been a forgotten man.  And at that price, he needs to post some numbers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

2nd and 3rd string Bryce Huff and Curry owned him today for 3 sacks in a handful of plays

But I’m glad you’re optimistic.

I don’t want him to fail.

When you're out of shape, injuries happen,  that should be the concern first and foremost. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going to guess that Saleh put Becton at RT right away because they have viable insurance policies at RT if/when Becton gets disinterested and/or hurt. Becton, to put it kindly, is deeply unreliable, and Saleh isn’t going to let him compromise the entire program just because he was a high draft pick once. It’s worth remembering that Saleh has never seen a good version of Becton and he has zero incentive to invest a whole bunch of energy into rehabilitating him. Good on Becton for dropping a bunch of weight, but going on a crash diet isn’t going to automatically boost your cardio if you’re not doing the work. IMO, you’ll be able to predict Becton’s future by the size and length of Fant’s pending extension because if Douglas commits to locking up his OLT, it’ll take an All-Pro season by Becton to justify picking up the fifth year option. I’d bet a few bucks on next year’s opening day tackles being Fant and Max Mitchell. 

Welcome back.  Very good synopsis.  A lot riding on Mitchell to develop by year 2 or 3.  Hoping he has the frame to get a lot stronger.  That’s the only area that stands out as an existing weakness at this level.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Ooof. Becton getting roasted on outside moves again. Lawson ate him alive last summer by getting low. Wonder if that’s his Achilles heel or if it’s rust. We’ll find out in about a week I guess. 

Another reason to have him at RT, having a TE outside him for a chip. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

A couple of things:

1) When they paid Martin they hadn't drafted JJ or Clemens.   They weren't def. taking an edge early. 

2) Saleh has said it many times - he wants the DL fresh and intends to rotate them early and often.  He'll be getting plenty of reps.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I actually think the best part of that from Cimini is so many check downs.  It means Zach is playing within the offense.  Not trying to do too much but taking what's there.  He had a real problem with that early on last year.  That alone would translate to a major step in the right direction.

Agreed, as long as we don’t turn him into a ‘game manager’ who is afraid to use his greatest strengths (off platform + mid-deep passing game).  That’s the balancing act the Jets Coaching Staff has.

I do like that Saleh articulated a plan that starts with the basics and nuances of the offense as a precursor for opening up the offense as the defense softens.  As long as that’s the path, I remain excited.  

I write this with business philosophy in mind.  Yes, you focus on limiting your weaknesses but you win by maximizing your strengths.  I think in the case of Wilson, the 2 are very much interconnected. 

Hopefully this year, we roll him out more and continue to encourage him to use his legs like we saw at the end of last year.  If he feels more comfortable with it, let’s see how he does with the no huddle which might minimize the overthinking we saw last year.

• Upvote 1