Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Man, what is up with Saleh

Today he was specifically asked about Berrios saying if they don't make the playoffs this season, it'll be a disappointment

"I'm not too concerned about them talking, as long as they know how to dial it back."

I mean, seriously?

His players are desperate to win and actually have concrete goals. 

He just stands up there sounding stupid repeating dumb cliches about "going to bed better than when you woke up".

I get why he's doing it.  He doesn't want to say "playoffs or bust" and then give Woody more ammunition to fire him if he falls short.  But you don't have to guarantee anything.  Just give an honest answer on where you think your team is.

And if you don't have any sense of that, then what are you doing, why are you the head coach.

But he's not doing his players any favors by shrinking any time a question about wins and losses or playoffs is asked.

He's in an impossible spot with that media. If he says anything that sounds like an endorsement of what Berrios said, every national football media outlet will run their Same Ol' Jets stories. If he condemns it, he's seen as not having his players' back, and not believing in them. That leads to the national media going on a different feeding frenzy. It put him in a very difficult spot.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Is Becton being winded and getting beat good? Hell no. But I expect him to improve his conditioning and play as camp continues. Let’s see how he’s doing in a few weeks. 

One of the reasons these camp threads suck is the bipolar overanalysis to every tweet.

We can't forget about the heat and how much hotter it will be in camp than for most of the season. You have to adapt to it - it takes a few days. Each person is different, but I imagine it's tougher to adapt the bigger you are.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

37 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, I’m glad Becton came back at an appropriate weight, but I just don’t see a path to being a successful offensive lineman when you are this insecure.

I’ve made plenty of jokes re: Becton, but this… oh boy.  This is bad.

Having a war of words with a reporter never works out well. He shouldnt have reponded. Let your play do the talking 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Bronx said:

We need to stop making excuses for athletes who get paid millions to be in shape for living.  This should be an implied task..inexcusable!

This is an amazingly dumb post.  They aren't paid millions to be in shape for living.   Players on their rookie contract were paid based on their potential to play pro football.  Second contracts are giving to players who perform in games.  Huge second contracts are giving to players who's performance is excellent in games. 

Many athletes don't train year round.  They train to peak when it counts.   

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, I’m glad Becton came back at an appropriate weight, but I just don’t see a path to being a successful offensive lineman when you are this insecure.

Calling the reporter a weirdo is kinda odd.

It is his job to report.   Rich didn't put in anything personal, say he looks fat, say he looks skinny.   He literally just reported what he saw.

• Upvote 3

Cimini isn't the only weirdo, plenty of them here at JN. Not one word about Becton yesterday re conditioning but he comes out for a few plays and all of a sudden sky is falling. Jets fans a bunch of clowns. 

Also, it's hilarious reading replies about his play on day 2 of TC WHEN THEY'RE WEARING SHORTS AND JERSEYS and can't make much if any contact. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

This is an amazingly dumb post.  They aren't paid millions to be in shape for living.   Players on their rookie contract were paid based on their potential to play pro football.  Second contracts are giving to players who perform in games.  Huge second contracts are giving to players who's performance is excellent in games. 

Being in shape doesn't coincide with ones potential to play football, perform well in games and excellent athletic performance.  An odd post when you call the original post dumb.  Yes they aren't paid to be body builders or swimsuit models but being in shape certainly goes along with athletic ability. 

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Calling the reporter a weirdo is kinda odd.

It is his job to report.   Rich didn't put in anything personal, say he looks fat, say he looks skinny.   He literally just reported what he saw.

Was Rich sweating or out of breath walking up the hill to the Jets practice field - inquiring minds want to know. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Surprising amount of pro athletes get by on god given ability. 

• Upvote 1

Becton was beaten like a drum all of camp last year and suffered a season ending injury in Week 1.

His response? Skip all voluntarily offseason workouts, let his weight get out of control, then go on a crash diet for the last month to make weight for the start of training camp.

Yeah, it's not good. This isn't the NFL of the 1970s where you can just "get in shape during training camp."  Athletes are on a whole different level.

There are clearly some serious motivational issues here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Cimini isn't the only weirdo, plenty of them here at JN. Not one word about Becton yesterday re conditioning but he comes out for a few plays and all of a sudden sky is falling. Jets fans a bunch of clowns. 

Also, it's hilarious reading replies about his play on day 2 of TC WHEN THEY'RE WEARING SHORTS AND JERSEYS and can't make much if any contact. 

Better yet, they all come out as part of a rotation and some are saying he tapped out.  The truth is somewhere between all of this.  It’s his second practice, after a year off and rehab and learning a new position.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Being in shape doesn't coincide with ones potential to play football, perform well in games and excellent athletic performance.  An odd post when you call the original post dumb.  Yes they aren't paid to be body builders or swimsuit models but being in shape certainly goes along with athletic ability. 

There are corelations between training loads and injury.   Athlete's don't have to be in peak condition year round.   Many athletes get injured because they have over trained and peaked before actual performance is needed.  

Becton isn't being paid one dime to be in shape for the offseason.   His job this offseason was to be healthy enough to be an active participant in TC.  He is.  He's job during training camp is to get ready for the season.   He appears to be doing that.  

Some players train year round and it works for them.  Some work year round and are constantly injured.  Some guys take months off and train to peak before the season and taper.

Becton had knee surgery.  He's a huge man.  He has an eating disorder.  It's hot and humid.  He passed his physical.  He got his weight down.  He has time to get into peak shape and taper before the season.  If he does that and stays healthy what's the problem?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There are corelations between training loads and injury.   Athlete's don't have to be in peak condition year round.   Many athletes get injured because they have over trained and peaked before actual performance is needed.  

Becton isn't being paid one dime to be in shape for the offseason.   His job this offseason was to be healthy enough to be an active participant in TC.  He is.  He's job during training camp is to get ready for the season.   He appears to be doing that.  

Some players train year round and it works for them.  Some work year round and are constantly injured.  Some guys take months off and train to peak before the season and taper.

Becton had knee surgery.  He's a huge man.  He has an eating disorder.  It's hot and humid.  He passed his physical.  He got his weight down.  He has time to get into peak shape and taper before the season.  If he does that and stays healthy what's the problem?

It is really simple actually.  The problem is he needs to show that what you explained isn't a problem.  His rookie year he would have been training his a** off for the combine, pro day, etc.. in what would have been an off season for a veteran.  Last year he didn't need to train for what he did for the draft and his second year he was constantly being beat badly in training camp and then got hurt and couldn't heal in time.  So if I was in his position I would have been training my ass of in the off season to have a year like his rookie year and not like his second year. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Let's not call people or posts "dumb".  It drags down the discourse.

Regarding training to "peak when it counts", I would argue that today "counts", an NFL Training Camp "counts."  A professional athlete's body and abilities are his product.  An out of shape athlete is like a hungover surgeon or a lawyer who didn't read the necessary briefs.  Irresponsibility leading to poor performance that effects other people.

Our FQB had players in his face all day because the athlete paid to protect him isn't in shape.  Spare me the "well it's good for Zach to get that experience" - Becton is not doing his job well due to lack of commitment and laziness. 

I'm not even that mad about it, more disappointed and resigned to it, but I don't understand anyone arguing that this is just fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

It is really simple actually.  The problem is he needs to show that what you explained isn't a problem.  His rookie year he would have been training his a** off for the combine, pro day, etc.. in what would have been an off season for a veteran.  Last year he didn't need to train for what he did for the draft and his second year he was constantly being beat badly in training camp and then got hurt and couldn't heal in time.  So if I was in his position I would have been training my ass of in the off season to have a year like his rookie year and not like his second year. 

Carl Lawson came into camp in unbelievable shape last year.  He beat Becton like a drum.  He looked like an adonis.  He didn't get out of TC.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Derek Carr just got into a fight with a reporter. It will effect his play on the field zero percent.  

Becton has issues,  this exchange is not one of them.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Better yet, they all come out as part of a rotation and some are saying he tapped out.  The truth is somewhere between all of this.  It’s his second practice, after a year off and rehab and learning a new position.  

100%. Didn't hear a word about Fant being on the sideline with Becton until 1 beat guy mentioned they both came back in to run with the 1's again. 

• Upvote 3