Flacco starting against Ravens; Wilson out until week 4: MERGED

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

How annoying is it being a Jets fan? This is all happening over a QB who threw an awful INT before getting hurt. 

I am over Coach Saleh. This organization constantly misdiagnoses injuries. It’s frustrating. 

Probably wasn't Saleh.

Home opener wasn't sold out and Flacco doesn't draw. Word probably came from above.

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Probably wasn't Saleh.

Home opener wasn't sold out and Flacco doesn't draw. Word probably came from above.

It still doesn’t make sense. Why not just reevaluate Wilson after the Ravens game? I’m not buying anything Saleh says. They are babying this QB. He can’t play in games but he’s allowed to practice on the sides with trainers. There’s two takes: he either had a setback or they’re babying him. I think it’s both. 

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It wasn't a misdiagnosis.  They benched him and decided not to embarrass him like they did Mims.  

If that’s the case, then Wilson is not the guy this franchise needs. He had a setback and they misdiagnosed him just like they did with Becton this year. 

**** Saleh and his optimistic self. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It still doesn’t make sense. Why not just reevaluate Wilson after the Ravens game? I’m not buying anything Saleh says. They are babying this QB. He can’t play in games but he’s allowed to practice on the sides with trainers. There’s two takes: he either had a setback or they’re babying him. I think it’s both. 

Zach’s doctors are telling the Jets their timeline and it’s a Woody decision. This is the only reason I can think of with how this is playing out. If he’s out indefinitely he should be on IR for the roster spot. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Zach’s doctors are telling the Jets their timeline. This is the only reason I can think of with how this is playing out. If he’s out indefinitely he should be on IR for the roster spot. 

Zach's doctors, if they aren't team doctors talk to Zach.   I suspect they need a release from Zach to talk to the Jets staff.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Zach’s doctors are telling the Jets their timeline and it’s a Woody decision. This is the only reason I can think of with how this is playing out. If he’s out indefinitely he should be on IR for the roster spot. 

Wouldn’t you think a coach who said Wilson is probably going to play Sunday will definitely play week 2? Oh, we want his mind, soul, body, and balls are 110%. Okay, coach. All this for a team that hasn’t won a ******* game in September since 2018. I’m just annoyed. He had his surgery on August 12th. I genuinely feel bad for our fan base. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wouldn’t you think a coach who said Wilson is probably going to play Sunday will definitely play week 2? Oh, we want his mind, soul, body, and balls are 110%. Okay, coach. All this for a team that hasn’t won a ******* game in September since 2018. I’m just annoyed. He had his surgery on August 12th. I genuinely feel bad for our fan base. 

The Jets doctors probably cleared him to play.  Saleh alluded to his mind.  That's a polite way to say he's not ready to start in the NFL.

They made a mistake last year and they aren't going to do it again and sacrifice the development of all the other young talent.  

They could have been very straight forward and just said Zack isn't ready to start and when he is we will let you know.  Not totally transparent but not compete BS. They are using the injury to hide behind.  They are actually doing the right thing.

Zach isn't ready to be an NFL starting QB.  That was obvious last year and nothing has really changed to date.

Zach pretty much lied that he was going to be ready and walked it back.  He's clearly been benched.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Zach's doctors, if they aren't team doctors talk to Zach.   I suspect they need a release from Zach to talk to the Jets staff.

I think the Jets medical staff had a more aggressive timeline and was cleared while Wilson’s doctors and camp wanted to take it slow (and the first months schedule is all good defenses). I get the impression Saleh was actually blindsided here. I mean hell he started the press conference yesterday saying he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, when  the day prior he was veering towards confident that he could play. Like what? The Jets are disorganized. Douglas seems like a good scout but also low energy and not taking command. Unless Woody is just going rogue as usual and blindsiding everyone at the 25th hour (which is also possible).

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets doctors probably cleared him to play.  Saleh alluded to his mind.  That's a polite way to say he's not ready to start in the NFL.

They made a mistake last year and they aren't going to do it again and sacrifice the development of all the other young talent.  

They could have been very straight forward and just said Zack isn't ready to start and when he is we will let you know.  Not totally transparent but not compete BS. They are using the injury to hide behind.  They are actually doing the right thing.

Zach isn't ready to be an NFL starting QB.  That was obvious last year and nothing has really changed to date.

Zach pretty much lied that he was going to be ready and walked it back.  He's clearly been benched.

agreed this feels like a benching more than anything else and who knows it may work, chances slim, but chance none the less.  I'm not ready to write off the kid, he is our only hope right now as bad as that sounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

My impression is the Jets medical staff had a more aggressive timeline and was cleared while Wilson’s doctors and camp wanted to take it slow (and the first months schedule is all good defenses). I get the impression Saleh was actually blindsided here. I mean hell is started the press conference yesterday saying he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, when  the day prior he was veering toward confident that he could play. The Jets are disorganized.

Zach up until yesterday was all in on starting the season.  Saleh was actually more cautious than Zach although not by much.  Wilson's doctors talk to Zach.  Why would Zach pretend he was going to be ready and walk it back after the team decided he was out for at least another 4 weeks?

My impression is something else is behind this.  I suspect Lefleur wants to see the O run the way it should be run,

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Zach up until yesterday was all in on starting the season.  Saleh was actually more cautious than Zach although not by much.  Wilson's doctors talk to Zach.  Why would Zach pretend he was going to be ready and walk it back after the team decided he was out for at least another 4 weeks?

My impression is something else is behind this.  I suspect Lefleur wants to see the O run the way it should be run,

Maybe I missed it but when did Wilson say he was planning on starting Week 1?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Maybe I missed it but when did Wilson say he was planning on starting Week 1?

he didnt but was working out for 2 days with Jets staff - at any point during those session he could have said "ouchy" and Saleh may have went into those presser with a different tune right?

• Upvote 1

I'm convinced Zach will play week 2 and that Saleh said what he did simply because he's tired of talking about. 

He even said he was tired of talking about it.  This way, there's no point in asking him about Zach every single day. This was just his way of telling the press to STFU about Zach already.  And I don't blame him.  Good for him.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

agreed this feels like a benching more than anything else and who knows it may work, chances slim, but chance none the less.  I'm not ready to write off the kid, he is our only hope right now as bad as that sounds.

The whole “benching to reset” strategy maybe could work in the middle of the season but to employ it week 1??? He will probably make some appearances this year but that will likely be all she wrote for his Jets journey.

1 hour ago, BigGreenFan said:

I'm convinced Zach will play week 2 and that Saleh said what he did simply because he's tired of talking about. 

He even said he was tired of talking about it.  This way, there's no point in asking him about Zach every single day. This was just his way of telling the press to STFU about Zach already.  And I don't blame him.  Good for him.

I also like to announce that I’m tired of performing the least-enjoyable aspects of my job. My boss responds really well to that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Jets medical staff had a more gaggressive timeline and was cleared while Wilson’s doctors and camp wanted to take it slow (and the first months schedule is all good defenses). I get the impression Saleh was actually blindsided here. I mean hell he started the press conference yesterday saying he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, when  the day prior he was veering towards confident that he could play. Like what? The Jets are disorganized. Douglas seems like a good scout but also low energy and not taking command. Unless Woody is just going rogue as usual and blindsiding everyone at the 25th hour (which is also possible).

If Wilson really wanted to play, he would be playing.The job is 95% showing up; Wilson won't be on the field Sunday.

This whole "his doctors, their doctors" stuff is crap. Want to be an NFL QB; you play hurt sometimes. Heck, Ben Rothlisberger played half a season with a totally torn meniscus. Unless really they're benching him and this is all cover

No matter; next guy up.

No confidence Wilson will ever amount to anything. And this is one more reason. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If Wilson really wanted to play, he would be playing.The job is 95% showing up; Wilson won't be on the field Sunday.

This whole "his doctors, their doctors" stuff is crap. Want to be an NFL QB; you play hurt sometimes. Heck, Ben Rothlisberger played half a season with a totally torn meniscus. Unless really they're benching him and this is all cover

No matter; next guy up.

No confidence Wilson will ever amoutn to anything. And this is one more reason. 

The bus isn’t waiting for Zach Wilson. There could be some relief that he’s out indefinitely too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Look at this heel sucking up to Maxman to avoid getting banned before Week Three. “Phil, can I cook you some sausage and peppers just in case I go on an unhinged rant when @Jetsfan80 makes a mean post about Braden Mann?”

Disgusting. 

And then totally "forget" it ever happened when he returns 8 months later, posting pictures of him hanging out with Jerald Sowell like nothing has changed.

• Haha 1

The benching theory doesn't make any sense. For good or bad depending on how you look at it, the entirety of the organization was all in on Zach before the injury and post injury until about 5 minutes before the injury update.

But now we think a pick and a injury would suddenly drive Mr optimism over the edge and make him bench Zach?

At worst this smells more like the stale air of incomptence than pungnant fragrance of machivillian cunning. 

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

All due respect, I know you’re a doctor, but you really don’t know the extent of his injury or the swelling he might still have. You’re just opining, albeit from a more credible place than most of us.

Let’s assume you’re correct here though (which you very well might be)…if this is the case, why didn’t anyone on the medical staff tell Saleh this before he put on his dog and pony show the last few days?

To diagnose a ‘bone bruise’ you have to see the edema/hematoma on MRI….if it wasn’t there on MRI, they couldn’t say that he had it to begin with. 

the second part of your question?  I have no f*cking idea why the Jets, their medical staff and PR people did what they did here. Bad optics for sure. 

if I’m guessing?  They did the MRI, saw the bruise and torn meniscus, both of which can cause pain and swelling etc, and said something along the lines of we’ll go in scope the knee, fix the tear, make sure ligaments are intact and ‘best case scenario is 2-4 weeks’.  Someone talking to the reporters may have left off the ‘best case scenario’ disclaimer. 

you’d think after Becton they’d be more careful with injury timelines lol

25 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No matter; next guy up.

No confidence Wilson will ever amount to anything. And this is one more reason. 

Zach is the idiot who tried to win in a preseason game by juking a defender and hurt himself. I have a hard time believing he is the type to slow walk his way back into the game. 

48 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Whatever the case, Robert Saleh can’t be trusted.

Fans "trusting" the PR speak of Coaches is stupid in the first place.

He's not there to earn OUR trust.

Of all the complaints, the "Saleh is a poo poo head liar" is the least moving in my view.  

I care about WHY Zach is out.  I don't care at all about what Saleh says.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson said yesterday he knew walking out of surgery he was going to be out.

This is what I don't get--if Wilson knew this a month ago, how did Saleh and the Jets not know until yesterday? I don't put anything past this organization, but that seems inconceivable to me. Maybe he did, and the final explanation for all this is the first one we all came up with, which is that the whole thing was just a ham-fisted attempt at a smokescreen by a coach who really doesn't have the chops to pull off that sort of thing.

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The bus isn’t waiting for Zach Wilson. There could be some relief that he’s out indefinitely too. 

This is also a distinct possibility, given the amount of resources put into skill positions + Saleh's gushing about Flacco all summer. I don't think it's a benching, like some have called it, but I also think it's entirely possible that higher-ups at 1JD weren't crying in their cornflakes over this news.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, ZachEY said:

4. Flacco, who is not very good, is better than Wilson, and they've already moved on.  Hope is that they win a few games, and then can't bench the hot hand.

20 hours ago, dbatesman said:

That is bleak.

I slept on it, and I'm going to reverse course here. I sincerely doubt this is what's going on, but if it is, it would be a more or less unprecedented level of conviction and decisiveness from a Jets FO/CS.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is what I don't get--if Wilson knew this a month ago, how did Saleh and the Jets not know until yesterday? I don't put anything past this organization, but that seems inconceivable to me. Maybe he did, and the final explanation for all this is the first one we all came up with, which is that the whole thing was just a ham-fisted attempt at a smokescreen by a coach who really doesn't have the chops to pull off that sort of thing.

This is also a distinct possibility, given the amount of resources put into skill positions + Saleh's gushing about Flacco all summer. I don't think it's a benching, like some have called it, but I also think it's entirely possible that higher-ups at 1JD weren't crying in their cornflakes over this news.

Some view this as Alex Jones I guess for whatever reason , but the likelihood of Wilson’s medical team and agent not communicating with the Jets, or Woody not sharing what he knew to the coaching staff is probable imo (whether it be ticket sales, buzz who the hell knows). Poorly run organizations always struggle with communication. Blaming the Jets medical team is a cop out for those who want to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt. If the medical team sucks then that’s Woodys fault. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I slept on it, and I'm going to reverse course here. I sincerely doubt this is what's going on, but if it is, it would be a more or less unprecedented level of conviction and decisiveness from a Jets FO/CS.

I mean, is it possible we finally have a staff that can recognize how bad things are?

It doesn't take much to watch Wilson right now and think, "nope."

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1