I'm not sure I understand the negativity towards Joe Flacco.

Alka

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Learn to appreciate the pain or else Jets fandom will be a very miserable experience

What always helps me when I am about down about the Jets is that I happen to have a very close friend who is a diehard Warriors fan from my time living in the Bay Area. 

This guy is a lifer and watched that team be an absolute disaster for most of his life, only to have them eventually draft Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green and suddenly become a dynasty. So I got to watch him go from "same old warriors" to ecstasy in a matter of a few years. 

And I don't need anything close to a Jets dynasty to die happy, I just need one moment in the sun. Will the Jets ever become competent? I don't know, but there is always a reason to hold out a little hope. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

What always helps me when I am about down about the Jets is that I happen to have a very close friend who is a diehard Warriors fan from my time living in the Bay Area. 

This guy is a lifer and watched that team be an absolute disaster for most of his life, only to have them eventually draft Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green and suddenly become a dynasty. So I got to watch him go from "same old warriors" to ecstasy in a matter of a few years. 

And I don't need anything close to a Jets dynasty to die happy, I just need one moment in the sun. Will the Jets ever become competent? I don't know, but there is always a reason to hold out a little hope. 

largely the same thing could have been said about the Red Sox and the Patriots pre 2000

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Yes, the guy is 37 years old, but Tom Brady is 45 years old.

Joe Flacco is no Tom Brady. 

Joe Flacco in his prime is no Tom Brady today.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

He is a seasoned veteran who QB'd the Ravens to win a Super Bowl.

In 2012.  A decade ago.

In his last three NFL seasons, he is 2-11 as a starter.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Zach Wilson is still an unknown quantity, who lost his first game on the big stage to Sam Darnold.

Which is irrelevant if we're evaluating the quality of Joe Flacco.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I actually think that the Jets have a better chance at a win on Sunday with Flacco starting than with Zach right now.

That may in fact be true, I actually think that myself.

But Joe Flacco is still an old, bad QB here to cash checks and "mentor".  

He shouldn't be starting or playing.

• Post of the Week 1

Here is my piece. If we had an offensive minded coach, say like Payton there is like zero chance he is trotting Flacco out there. He would game plan around either White or even Streveler who could be quite difficult to defend with the right plan.

If we have a defensive minded head coach, he is starting Flacco. Every defensive coach I have ever seen just loves the JAG veteran who he thinks wont make mistakes and allow the defense to win the game.

Problem is that this philosophy does not work in the NFL barring a complete outlier with an elite line and RB like we did with the Rex Jets.

It is what it is. Flacco will be competently average to below average make no big plays and lose games without us being embarrased.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Joe Flacco is no Tom Brady. 

Joe Flacco in his prime is no Tom Brady today.

In 2012.  A decade ago.

In his last three NFL seasons, he is 2-11 as a starter.

Which is irrelevant if we're evaluating the quality of Joe Flacco.

That may in fact be true, I actually think that myself.

But Joe Flacco is still an old, bad QB here to cash checks and "mentor".  

He shouldn't be starting or playing.

And, embarrassingly, Saleh raves about Flacco.

His age is not an issue, the fact he is like 0-7 in games he has had snaps in for the jets and has not actually won an NFL game in almost three years is the issue.

He stinks, the Jets and Douglas once again had the blinders on for backup QB and they are going to pay for it with a bad start to the season.

52 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

What’s his record since leaving in the ravens?

That’s not a fair question. I’m not home to check he Denver record but his loses with us in 2019 had a lot less talent and different run offense than today. Last year he lose his only game but played pretty well. I think we win one or 2 of these games. Or better yet if we lose I don’t think it will be because Flacco was so bad.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

NFL Coaches love old veterans. 

They're like comfort blankets to them, because A. they're generally competent and B. generally won't embarrass them.  Old Vets are basically cashing checks, trying to just be ok enough not to blow their legacy, whatever that may be.

But they're also a sign that winning isn't really what the Coach cares about most, and that the coach is averse to taking risks.

Fans on the other hand, tend to love young, feisty backups with little to no track record.  White.  Streveler.

Fans want someone in there who has fire, passion, and motivation to play well, take risks, try and make a name for themselves, and win.  They may be horrible, or they may not, but at least they care, they are young and might have a future, and give fans something interesting to consider/watch in a game where the #1 is out.

But Saleh strikes me as entirely too conservative when it comes to QB.  He'll stick with Wilson, because that's what you do in the NFL.  He'll keep a old man with him, because that's what you do in the NFL. 

No risks, no desire, no trying to win, just trying to lose respectably.

This is how you get a second job HC'ing job in the NFL or at worst are recycled as a DC, its all about the benjamins

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets did their best to avoid any QB that would spook BYU, yet all 3 schlubs they brought in outperformed him.

There it is, and know they are bumbling and stumbling all over themselves. Must give the rest of the team even more confidence in Wilson. It’s funny how when White and Streev had good games the team was elated. I am sure that was a kick (or 4)in the nuts for Zach.

That should tell you all you need to know about how the players view Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

And to put it in NFL terms, I have a friend who is a Rams fan.  They were the worst team in the league from the post-Warner days until the late 2010s.  Now he's in a similar state of ecstacy.

Granted, he got to see the team win a ring when he was a kid (the Greatest Show on Turf is why he's a fan today), but still.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And to put it in NFL terms, I have a friend who is a Rams fan.  They were the worst team in the league from the post-Warner days until the late 2010s.  Now he's in a similar state of ecstacy.

Granted, he got to see the team win a ring when he was a kid (the Greatest Show on Turf is why he's a fan today), but still.  

Man, I have to respect the optimism, lol.

I’m 29 years old and have come to terms with the fact that I am probably going to be 6 feet under before the Jets ever experience anything resembling the Warriors or the Rams.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

NFL Coaches love old veterans. 

They're like comfort blankets to them, because A. they're generally competent and B. generally won't embarrass them.  Old Vets are basically cashing checks, trying to just be ok enough not to blow their legacy, whatever that may be.

But they're also a sign that winning isn't really what the Coach cares about most, and that the coach is averse to taking risks.

Fans on the other hand, tend to love young, feisty backups with little to no track record.  White.  Streveler.

Fans want someone in there who has fire, passion, and motivation to play well, take risks, try and make a name for themselves, and win.  They may be horrible, or they may not, but at least they care, they are young and might have a future, and give fans something interesting to consider/watch in a game where the #1 is out.

But Saleh strikes me as entirely too conservative when it comes to QB.  He'll stick with Wilson, because that's what you do in the NFL.  He'll keep a old man with him, because that's what you do in the NFL. 

No risks, no desire, no trying to win, just trying to lose respectably.

Todd Bowles.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I actually think the "weak arm" narrative is overblown with MW.  He's a bit of a check down Charlie, but that's by design, I think. 

My biggest concern with MW (from the very limited time we got to see him) were the turnover worthy throws. I believe PFF charted something like 9 turnover worthy throws in his  two (and change) starts, which was at the very top of the league. He's a young QB, but that's a lot. Even in his hall of fame game, he threw 2 picks and could have thrown one or two more. 

Having said that, I would be considerably more PUMPED if the Jets were starting MW on Sunday. 

I stuck up for Mike White's arm for a long time.  He was a late round strong armed kid I liked for taking a flyer the year he came out.  I don't think his arm is particularly weak or that he can't throw deep, but I did find some concerns about arm strength in some of his draft reports I recently re-read - I think it was Waldman saying that gushed about him, but said he did/could not drive his deep throws outside the numbers suring senior bowl practices.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Man, I have to respect the optimism, lol.

I’m 29 years old and have come to terms with the fact that I am probably going to be 6 feet under before the Jets ever experience anything resembling the Warriors or the Rams.

probably is the key word. 

The "hope" comes from the fact that nothing is certain and what happened to the Warriors, Rams, Pats, Saints etc., can happen to the Jets, even if it is very unlikely.  

I, too, expect to die without seeing the Jets win a ring and I think all the time about my Dad, who is getting up there in years and is just as crazy about this terrible team as I am. But at least he remembers SB III. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

probably is the key word. 

The "hope" comes from the fact that nothing is certain and what happened to the Warriors, Rams, Pats, Saints etc., can happen to the Jets, even if it is very unlikely.  

I, too, expect to die without seeing the Jets win a ring and I think all the time about my Dad, who is getting up there in years and is just as crazy about this terrible team as I am. But at least he remembers SB III. 

As I get older I get more cynical.  It’s more probable that I eventually drop pro football altogether, just like I did with the Knicks and the NBA. 

TL;DR:

There is no hope.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

As I get older I get more cynical.  It’s more probable that I eventually drop pro football altogether, just like I did with the Knicks and the NBA. 

TL;DR:

There is no hope.

I feel your pain. 

Out of curiosity, what made you drop the Knicks? A little of everything or one major failure in particular? 

First of hall it isn't Hate.

Secondly, we have been waiting and waiting for the season to start and starters are dropping like flees. When he played he looked uninspired and sucked. While Tom Brady is great at 45, Flacco is so bad at 37 that the Jets are basically paying him what the pay for White. He doesn't seem to care about playing or winning. He gives a vibe that he is okay collecting pay and sitting on the bench. He is so apathetic that he gladly tells the world that even his kids think he stinks.

Besides that - it is all unicorns and rainbows here.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I feel your pain. 

Out of curiosity, what made you drop the Knicks? A little of everything or one major failure in particular? 

Everything.  There is nothing I can do to change the fact that everything rots from the head down with that franchise.  At some point, it stops being fun to be a fan of something you know, deep down, will never get better.  Eventually, I just became a score checker when it comes to them.

• Upvote 2

I think the story line of Flacco going up against the Ravens is a great one. Joe and CJ will certainly be wanting to have statement games against their old team.

I also think people underestimate the fact that this is the first season Joe will play in Mike LaFleur's O after having had an off-season and preseason to digest it. Remember, he played for the Jets in Gase's O and was obtained via a trade from Philly during the season last year. This is a QB friendly O. Joe is a veteran who should be able to take full advantage of the benefits the O affords the QB as well as the benefits of an improved O line and skill players.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

???What does that mean?  Flacco played better than Zach Wilson did last season when he got the chance.

Just because the entire Jets team sucked last year; lets not put that on Flacco, shall we.

This isn't true.  People like to say it around here, but it's false.  Flacco didn't win a game and played like a QB that had no interest in winning.   He took what was there, threw the ball away...and when they were down and weren't moving the ball he continued with the same.  Looks nice, better numbers - but that's not how you win in the NFL.

Flacco played like a 36 year old that was there to take a pay check.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

"Older".

Lol.

But yes, age and time generally create cynicism in some of us in re: The Jets.

Yes then we get called haters, trolls and fake fans by 16 year olds who still believe in magical thinking. The lifecycle of Jets fandom.

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This isn't true.  People like to say it around here, but it's false.  Flacco didn't win a game and played like a QB that had no interest in winning.   He took what was there, threw the ball away...and when they were down and weren't moving the ball he continued with the same.  Looks nice, better numbers - but that's not how you win in the NFL.

Flacco played like a 36 year old that was there to take a pay check.  

In fairness, alot better numbers.

64.3% Comp to 55.6%

3:1 TD:INT to 9:11

8.0 YPA to 6.1 YPA

113.0 Rating to 69.7

Respectfully, the guy you should be critical of at this point is Wilson.

Unreliable, hurt twice now, missed time twice now.

His numbers make Flacco look like a top 10 QB.

If Wilson was as good as you keep saying he has "potential" to be, this all isn't an issue.

But being a noodle-knee putting up horrible numbers, you wind up where we are now.

That's not on Flacco.  That's on Zach.

• Upvote 1