I'm not sure I understand the negativity towards Joe Flacco.

Alka

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, alot better numbers.

64.3% Comp to 55.6%

3:1 TD:INT to 9:11

8.0 YPA to 6.1 YPA

113.0 Rating to 69.7

Respectfully, the guy you should be critical of at this point is Wilson.

Unreliable, hurt twice now, missed time twice now.

His numbers make Flacco look like a top 10 QB.

If Wilson was as good as you keep saying he has "potential" to be, this all isn't an issue.

But being a noodle-knee putting up horrible numbers, you wind up where we are now.

That's not on Flacco.  That's on Zach.

Two things here..

1) Flacco - Surely his numbers were going to be better than Wilson - he's a seasoned vet vs. a very raw rookie that probably shouldn't have been playing last year.  but I'm looking more at what I saw from Joe - and that was a QB that played VERY safe, too safe.  A QB that was incapable or unwilling to put the team on his back to win.   Flacco will basically hold down the fort and make the easy throws, but he's not pushing himself for $3.5mm a year.  So nothing against Joe, but winning with him is going to be very difficult.  

2) As for Zach, surely I am critical of him.  I've been clear about that, consistently.  He was bad last year.  But he showed real progress and looked to have a very solid camp prior to the injury. Showing growth over last year.  Those are all good things.

Now, the injury thing is super concerning and I do acknowledge that...and really not a fan of the babying that seems to be going on either.  Not sure what that says about what the team thinks about Zach.  I wouldn't be being honest if I said otherwise.

I have faith in the kid due to his natural talent and the growth I saw in him the second half of year and through pre-season.  but your concerns are fair.

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two things here..

1) Flacco - Surely his numbers were going to be better than Wilson - he's a seasoned vet vs. a very raw rookie that probably shouldn't have been playing last year.  but I'm looking more at what I saw from Joe - and that was a QB that played VERY safe, too safe.  A QB that was incapable or unwilling to put the team on his back to win.   Flacco will basically hold down the fort and make the easy throws, but he's not pushing himself for $3.5mm a year.  So nothing against Joe, but winning with him is going to be very difficult.  

I don't generally disagree.

But think about what you're saying:  Flacco will only "hold down the fort and make the easy throws" and by doing just that, he'll produce numbers vastly better than Zach Wilson produced.  

As you say (now, I don't think you said it then), Zach shouldn't have been starting last year.  Maybe he shouldn;t be starting this year, unless he's shown he can in fact "make the easy throws" himself. 

Sadly we won't find out till at least week 4 now.  Availability being the best skill a QB can possess.

2) As for Zach, surely I am critical of him.  I've been clear about that, consistently.  He was bad last year.  But he showed real progress and looked to have a very solid camp prior to the injury. Showing growth over last year.  Those are all good things.

We'll have to agree to disagree, for now.  In what very limited preseason play Zach had, I didn't see any growth or real progress.  

And I put no value in reporting from camp.  Good or bad.  It's practice.  Games are what matters.  And Zach looked horrible in his only showing, then got hurt.  Now he's unavailable.  In my view, that (so far) is neither growth nor real progress.

We'll see in Week 4 (we hope) and beyond what his real, actual progress has been, if any.

Now, the injury thing is super concerning and I do acknowledge that...and really not a fan of the babying that seems to be going on either.  Not sure what that says about what the team thinks about Zach.  I wouldn't be being honest if I said otherwise.

I loved Chad Pennington.  But health and durability ensured he never lived up to HIS potential.

Zach is trending Chad Pennington, without having had any measure of success or productivity first.

I have faith in the kid due to his natural talent and the growth I saw in him the second half of year and through pre-season.  but your concerns are fair.

I wish I could see the growth you saw. 

What I saw was a kid entirely reigned in, focused primarily on not throwing INT's, and not on producing, scoring or winning.

And now I'm mad and sad we have to wait till week 4 to see what Zach is today.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Flacco gives us the best chance to evaluate the rest of the offense right now. So even though he had no future here, he helps the young guys the most of any current QB on the roster. 

That said, I do hope White/Streveler sees a start or at least a decent sample size of snaps while Wilson is out.  

This is kind of what I think.

Outside of Wilson, he's the only one who's likely to challenge a (starting) defense deep, and the Jets no longer have nothing but a bunch of talentless/slowpokes has-beens or never-gonna-bes at the position. What a couple of them do lack is experience, though, and a strong-armed veteran in the huddle can be settling.

White doesn't have zero arm, but his style isn't (or hasn't been) to drop back and look around. He goes to his first read, open or not. The good part of that is he gets it out fast; the bad part is he's not going to hold it long enough to let a downfield play develop. Flacco at least is capable of doing both.

He's not going to take a talentless team to the playoffs, but I don't think every coach & player is blind to what each non-Wilson QB can & can't do. He can throw a football & knows what he's doing. Will he have a facepalm choke play here & there? Yeah probably, lol. But he's also the least likely to have a 3+ turnover game and there are young players to develop & mesh together on this offense other than just Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is kind of what I think.

Outside of Wilson, he's the only one who's likely to challenge a (starting) defense deep, and the Jets no longer have nothing but a bunch of talentless/slowpokes has-beens or never-gonna-bes at the position. What a couple of them do lack is experience, though, and a strong-armed veteran in the huddle can be settling.

White doesn't have zero arm, but his style isn't (or hasn't been) to drop back and look around. He goes to his first read, open or not. The good part of that is he gets it out fast; the bad part is he's not going to hold it long enough to let a downfield play develop. Flacco at least is capable of doing both.

He's not going to take a talentless team to the playoffs, but I don't think every coach & player is blind to what each non-Wilson QB can & can't do. He can throw a football & knows what he's doing. Will he have a facepalm choke play here & there? Yeah probably, lol. But he's also the least likely to have a 3+ turnover game and there are young players to develop & mesh together on this offense other than just Zach Wilson. 

This is the first time you've agreed with me in a long time.  

You still couldn't help yourself by tacking on 3 additional paragraphs though.  lmao.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Joe Flacco doesn't win anymore thus the negativity

win with what?

im not sure what happend in Denver cause i dont watch there games but most of his Jet loses came in 2019 with a lot less talent than we have now. and might i add it was a Adam Gase offense. 

last year he lost by a TD. but 291yds 2 TD and 0 INTS with over a 60% comp % is pretty damm good. i will take that for the next 4 weeks. 

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

BUT having to watch a 37 year old backup QB start on opening day, a guy who two teams have already moved on from and who hasn't won a start since 2019

In Flacco's defense, Broncos were okay and they should have been 5-3 with Flacco. He also had to learn a new playbook every year since 2012. I think we'll win 2 games out of him maybe 3

with the Broncos

vs Raiders: missed FG, Hamilton's dropped TD pass to his chest then settled for FG. Defense struggled and big kickoff return by the Raiders. They didn't lose because of Flacco and should have won

vs Bears: 2:48 seconds left Flacco drives the ball down field, he converted a *4th and 10* and *4th and 3* for a 1st down on the drive . Flacco throws a dot at the corner of the end zone for a TD then scored the 2pt conversion to take the lead with :31 seconds left. Denver defense chokes and Bears win by game winning FG

vs Packers: defense give up a deep ball TD in the beginning of game. Flacco gets stripped sack at their own 5 yard line then GB scores right after. Noah Fant strip fumble, GB scores TD again makes it 24-10. Flacco INT on miscommunication. Flacco didn't play that bad

vs Jaguars: 17-3 lead but Flacco throws a crucial INT that was a bit high just before halftime and Jags make it 17-6. Broncos struggled to stop the Jaguars in the second half. Flacco drives ball down field for a TD with 1:34 left. Broncos defense again chokes and loses by another game winning FG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:02 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Flacco gives us the best chance to evaluate the rest of the offense right now. So even though he had no future here, he helps the young guys the most of any current QB on the roster. 

That said, I do hope White/Streveler sees a start or at least a decent sample size of snaps while Wilson is out.  

I disagree about Flacco. 

I agree about wanting White/Streveler to get some time.  Let JN get that backup QB love and dreams out of their system.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, Alka said:

Yes, the guy is 37 years old, but Tom Brady is 45 years old.  He is a seasoned veteran who QB'd the Ravens to win a Super Bowl.  Zach Wilson is still an unknown quantity, who lost his first game on the big stage to Sam Darnold.

I actually think that the Jets have a better chance at a win on Sunday with Flacco starting than with Zach right now.  I understand that the future is Zach Wilson, but Sunday is the present, and with a home game and opening day, Joe Flacco won't get overwhelmed by the moment.  I believe he is the calm and cool guy that we need to start the season.

Many Jets fans are not happy that I think the Jets will lose on Sunday.  I still think the Jets will lose, but I think that Flacco increases our chance of a win.  

Bro flacco makes the talent we have useless. We literally are wasting snaps and games not even giving our guys a chance ... It criminal 

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I disagree about Flacco. 

I agree about wanting White/Streveler to get some time.  Let JN get that backup QB love and dreams out of their system.

After Week 1, I no longer think Flacco gives us the best chance to evaluate the roster, lol.  I was thinking we'd get something like the 2020 version of Flacco that almost beat the Pats.  Not this version, which is a lot closer to being a carcass.

White/Streveler ASAP, please.

• Upvote 2

On 9/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, section314 said:

With Zach out for another 3-4 weeks, this is the perfect chance for the Jets to see If Mike White is at least the viable QB2 going forward. He should be playing until Wilson comes back. They gain nothing having Flacco playing. Fans dontr hate Flacco, just bad decision on Saleh's part.

Yeah but all White did was beat a very good team last season 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

After Week 1, I no longer think Flacco gives us the best chance to evaluate the roster, lol.  I was thinking we'd get something like the 2020 version of Flacco that almost beat the Pats.  Not this version, which is a lot closer to being a carcass.

White/Streveler ASAP, please.

Lol.  I thought it was a funny subtle necro post.  I thought Flacco would be better than he was too.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, Alka said:

Yes, the guy is 37 years old, but Tom Brady is 45 years old.  He is a seasoned veteran who QB'd the Ravens to win a Super Bowl.  Zach Wilson is still an unknown quantity, who lost his first game on the big stage to Sam Darnold.

I actually think that the Jets have a better chance at a win on Sunday with Flacco starting than with Zach right now.  I understand that the future is Zach Wilson, but Sunday is the present, and with a home game and opening day, Joe Flacco won't get overwhelmed by the moment.  I believe he is the calm and cool guy that we need to start the season.

Many Jets fans are not happy that I think the Jets will lose on Sunday.  I still think the Jets will lose, but I think that Flacco increases our chance of a win.  

I was pretty positive going into the season with Flacco playing before last Sunday. Then I watched him play.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, Alka said:

Oh, where to start.... We all age differently, some far more drastically than others. TB* despite being a cheating douche carried the pats* for something like 20 years to multiple super bowls, and is a healthy lifestyle fanatic. Flacco while younger never carried his team, and his success is very much a product of the rest of the team generally carrying him. Flacco is a statue who needs everything to be perfect to achieve even basic success at this point. He sucks as a player currently as the tape shows.

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Flacco is a statue who needs everything to be perfect to achieve even basic success at this point. He sucks as a player currently as the tape shows.

I wish I could undo this thread. lol  That 3rd down, where he had an open field needing a couple of yards with one guy 5 yards away from him, and he had to throw the ball for an incompletion really upset me.

I would like to bench him right now, and insert White.  I am so disgusted right now.