Jets have to much Talent to be playing this bad

nyjets1969

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

This team is too talented? 

Really? 

The thing is... I'm not sure they really are any good 

QW is their best player. And most of the fanbase thinks he's not deserving of a bag. 

This team lacks difference makers. There's no jersey sellers. 

They are probably going to be underdogs in every game they play. 

It's not too much underused talent it's a lack of high end 

Guys like Sauce, JJ etc had good games but those who believe that the roster is being undercoached should look at other rosters 

where do good players come from?  been so long since I have seen one.  Do you go FA and just just buy them all? or do you draft them and somehow make them?  I am confused.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What did he do that made him look clueless?  
What do the Giants winning today have to do with anything?

Surprised you of all people asked the second question.   The Jets and the entire AFL was in a hard competition with the NFL.   The Jets before and up until today where very much in a competition with the Giants.   The future fan base of both teams ride on generationally entertaining football.  You and I became Jets fans when the Giants were in a hard down cycle and the Jets were on the rise.  That carried us for multiple decades as Jets fans.   The Giants have had two SB runs where they built fan base.  Both teams have pretty much sucked for a while.   The Jets built fan bases with the Sach Exchange and the two Rex Ryan championships.  That's allready a life time ago for many new football fans in the NY area.  If the Giants got it right and the Jets got it wrong they will dominate the football headlines and build the next base of young fans while the Jets languish.

We have always been in a competition with the Giants.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You do that exercise where you list the five best players on the Jets and compare that five to the best five from really any other roster and you realize how bleak it is.

Interesting concept.  I think the issue with this exercise is that if we did this at the end of the season, you may have 3 guys from the 2022 draft and at least 1 from 2021.  

There was bad plays, players under performing and poor play calling. But there was some good in yesterday's game also.

Bad:

• Fant & Tomilson - Both were being pushed around
  • Joyner - He was out of position all day, it was pathetic
  • Flacco - Took forever to throw the ball
  • Lack of running plays
  • Plays were slow to develop
  • Giving away point - The interception and that albatross of a punt
  • Leaving points on the board - The dropped ball by Carter, The fumble by Conklin that negated a 1st down deep in the Baltimore territory and the Missed FG 
  • The Kicking game - WTF

Good:

• Max Mitchell - Played great, Let's hope he keeps it up
  • The Rookies - They all played well
  • The Run Defense - They swarmed all day
  • The running game - It was there, ML abandoned it too soon
  • DJ Reed - He's pretty-pretty good

• Upvote 1

Man, this team absolutely excels at deluding the media/fans into thinking they have extraordinary talent.  And that they have hit home run drafts.  This is laughable.  The proof?   We always suck on both sides of the ball and haven't won anything of consequence in more than a decade.

Well done, gentleman.  Your public relations huckstering is exceptional. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You do that exercise where you list the five best players on the Jets and compare that five to the best five from really any other roster and you realize how bleak it is.

Not sure if that's the case.  You take the 5 best players on the Jets and give them to Tomlinson or Harbaugh or one of the other top coaches and put their 5 best players on the Jets.  I'm talking about from day 1 I think we still come out on the bottom. 

It is an impossibility to win with any consistency with this coaching staff. No matter how much talent they add, which they clearly did at many of the skill positions, they won’t win. Their coaches are clueless, probably the worst head coach, offensive and defensive coordinators in the league. And all on the same team. 

If I run a business, any business , and I see such incompetence, I make a move sooner than later. Why wait?  So the next coach feels he won’t be fired so quickly and isn’t reluctant to take the job? If that new coach is so worried about doing an equally incompetent job you wouldn’t want him anyway.

Nothing has changed. Saleh will be thought of as one of the worst coaches the jets have ever had. Worse than Gase.  Lafleur the same. 

The talent is improving, the coaching isn’t. 

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Man, this team absolutely excels at is deluding the media/fans into thinking they have extraordinary talent.  And that they have hit home run drafts.  This is laughable.  The proof?   We always suck on both sides of the ball and haven't won anything of consequence in more than a decade.

Well done, gentleman.  Your public relations huckstering is exceptional. 

They made some good trades and that collected them a boatload of picks. That always leads to rave reviews but it was hilarious how people just instantly assume that means we have elite talent, especially with 2020 on the books.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Saleh is awful. Hopefully he is gone and this franchise hires a proven winner at head coach (Sean Payton). 

Just substitute "proven winner" and Sean Peyton in your post with anyone we've hired over the years.  This team's owner just does not get it on any level.  Except accepting his portion of the NFL's media money every year.

1 minute ago, williecrystal said:

Yes there is.  We keep switching his position when he should have simply stuck at LT

He switched position once. He started at LT from the start of camp until the team signed Brown. Brown wasn't  even announced as the LT until about a week after he signed. He switched back this week which isn't really a change because he was there all preseason. You think he forgot how to play LT in that week he played RT? Can't  believe  all these Fant apologists. He had a good season last year but he is starting out terrible. Next week there is even less of an excuse. If he doesn't  show up again,  they probably should play him at RT. 

3 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

I agree.  Yesterday was all about NO adjustments, as per usual.  Keep playing the same plan and hope for better results. 

And if I have to draft another WR only to hear that he is considered "a chess piece"????? WTF is that???? You play him.  Period.

Ravens looked out of sync first half yesterday.  They miss Marquise Brown and their running backs are total JAGs.  We were lucky the defense only gave up 24

I was at the game, and while I don't want to come off as an optimist one thing is for sure: there is a lot of talent on the team. The defensive line group is the most talented I've seen in my 18 years as a diehard Jets fan. The linebackers are really good as well. The defense did have some broken plays, but what it came down to - which is a theme almost every season - is offense and missed opportunities to score points. 

Like the defense, there are some dudes on offense. Their skill-position group has a lot of juice... I feel really good about what this group can be long-term. I was unimpressed with the play-calling, but the skill players are too good to make some of the boneheaded plays. The Jets were churning out big runs but we never looked to establish it. Too many drops and inopportune plays. The missed FG is one thing, but Conklin fumbling a first down catch backwards only to move them out of the redzone/first down territory (heads up play by Garrett Wilson) to settle for the FG really changed the game for me. They started getting in a rhythm that drive and felt like they never recovered from there until it was too late. 

What really didn't make sense to me was what they called in the passing game. It looked like they called an offense designed for Zach Wilson, not Joe Flacco or Mike White. A lot of the routes were long developing routes, and while the OL didn't play great, someone like Zach probably would've had more success being that he's able to get outside the pocket (most of the pressure was coming from the interior from what I saw). Very uninspiring start to the season, and I feel like we're heading for a boring first quarter of the season. Really would like to see Zach in there with these receivers. 

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

I was at the game, and while I don't want to come off as an optimist one thing is for sure: there is a lot of talent on the team. The defensive line group is the most talented I've seen in my 18 years as a diehard Jets fan. The linebackers are really good as well. The defense did have some broken plays, but what it came down to - which is a theme almost every season - is offense and missed opportunities to score points. 

Like the defense, there are some dudes on offense. Their skill-position group has a lot of juice... I feel really good about what this group can be long-term. I was unimpressed with the play-calling, but the skill players are too good to make some of the boneheaded plays. The Jets were churning out big runs but we never looked to establish it. Too many drops and inopportune plays. The missed FG is one thing, but Conklin fumbling a first down catch backwards only to move them out of the redzone/first down territory (heads up play by Garrett Wilson) to settle for the FG really changed the game for me. They started getting in a rhythm that drive and felt like they never recovered from there until it was too late. 

What really didn't make sense to me was what they called in the passing game. It looked like they called an offense designed for Zach Wilson, not Joe Flacco or Mike White. A lot of the routes were long developing routes, and while the OL didn't play great, someone like Zach probably would've had more success being that he's able to get outside the pocket (most of the pressure was coming from the interior from what I saw). Very uninspiring start to the season, and I feel like we're heading for a boring first quarter of the season. Really would like to see Zach in there with these receivers. 

Regarding the offense, it’s hard not to think that the coaching staff’s objective is to not get embarrassed while Zach is out and then try to create a ‘clean slate’ where they’re only graded on how the offense does with wilson.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Regarding the offense, it’s hard not to think that the coaching staff’s objective is to not get embarrassed while Zach is out and then try to create a ‘clean slate’ where they’re only graded on how the offense does with wilson.

I just don't get it. Last year when Zach went down, the offense evolved. They got creative and were able to establish a quick passing attack with Mike White. I think White would've struggled in this game too because the Ravens play a lot of press man whereas White is best against zone, but they should've mixed in more quick hitters to neutralize the pass rush. Play calling/design was very bland outside of a handful of plays. They should've done more to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers and let them make plays after the catch. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Let's looks at the roster the Jets have the weapons in Garret Wilson, Moore Breece Hall michael Carter, Conklin the OL on paper is decent the defensive quinten  Williams Carl Lawson Jermaine Johnson LBs CJ mosely Kwon Alexander DB with Reed , Gardner Joyner this team should least be competitive even with Flacco at QB. Think comes down to terrible coaching unprepareness. The Giants are a mess and they won with less talent. Whats is the solution I wasn't expecting to win a SB but they should be competitive. Just plain disgusting what we as fans have to live with.

Flacco.  More important than the other 21 players on the field.  And he is horrible.  Zero chance to win with Flacco starting notwithstanding any adjacent talent.  

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just don't get it. Last year when Zach went down, the offense evolved. They got creative and were able to establish a quick passing attack with Mike White. I think White would've struggled in this game too because the Ravens play a lot of press man whereas White is best against zone, but they should've mixed in more quick hitters to neutralize the pass rush. Play calling/design was very bland outside of a handful of plays. They should've done more to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers and let them make plays after the catch. 

I think it’s a combo of 1) the jets coaching believing that Flacco would/could elevate his game when ‘the lights go on’, 2) believing they could ‘stay in the game’ with a conservative game plan (just like bowles, another defensive HC), 3) falling in love with your game plan and not admitting to yourself you need to change things up.  For the first time in a long time, it’s more obvious than ever that this is not on the rb/wrs.  

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

That's the problem, and precisely why myself and others are like - NOPE.... not gonna stomach this one... This is not a talent issue, which as been (historically) an anchor for expectations.... the roster on is the brink of being flush.

They're coaching scared; calling plays not to lose on offense. 

Let the players play

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The that's the problem, and precisely why myself and others are like - NOPE.... not gonna stomach this one... This is not a talent issue, which as been (historically) an anchor for expectations.... the roster on is the brink of being flush.

They're coaching scared; calling plays not to lose on offense. 

Let the players play

Defensive minded HC believing he can keep game close with experienced game manager qb and strong defense.  Bowles redux.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

This is all on coaching.   Look around the league.   The Giants , the Steelers, the bears....

All bad teams that had coaching staffs that put together a game plan to put them in a position to win. Week after week we are not in any position to win. We lose by double digits every game. Something is very wrong with this coaching staff

Bingo

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Didn't LaFleur say that they have been preparing for Baltimore since the Spring? Sheesh, maybe as you say they prepared with Zach in mind and never adjusted for Flacco.

Talent, good or bad, needs to be well coached.

Yesterday we witnessed one team alert and active in terms of taking the ball away and protecting the ball, and another which wasn't.

Saleh also did his team no favors by not challenging the incompletion / fumble and by the cowardly decision making.

If Saleh is ever in the situation Daboll was in late in the game yesterday, there's no way he goes for 2.  He doesn't have it in him.

Daboll also told the entire team (offense, defense, ST) before they scored that if they scored, they'd be going for 2.  So when they did score, everybody was ready.  There was no confusion.

In a word, Daboll was prepared. 

Saleh would have waited until the moment after they scored to mull it over for a sec before quickly raising his index finger up in the air.

1 hour ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

Issues:

1. QB

2. OL

3. Coaching

OL wasn't even that bad considering what I saw around the league yesterday. Flacco did very little to evade the rush and he held onto the ball too long (partially because they called a lot of plays designed downfield that take longer to develop- which didn't make much sense to me). The offensive gameplan and Flacco's inability to evade the rush were the most glaring issues IMO

Just now, football guy said:

OL wasn't even that bad considering what I saw around the league yesterday. Flacco did very little to evade the rush and he held onto the ball too long (partially because they called a lot of plays designed downfield that take longer to develop- which didn't make much sense to me). The offensive gameplan and Flacco's inability to evade the rush were the most glaring issues IMO

Flacco + This OL is a recipe for disaster.

Flacco should not be in there.