Flacco to Start on Sunday; Why?

JetNation

Joe Flacco

Are you ready for more Joe Flacco on Sunday? Ready or not, here he comes.  Robert Saleh confirmed that Saleh would start during his press conference on Wednesday.

There was no serious need to make a change with Joe (Flacco). It’s one game. We played a really good defense. I know the quarterback gets a lot of the brunt. He gets celebrated and all the negativity too – the positives and the negatives. There are a lot of things that we as a team could’ve done to help him out a lot during the game, too. We’ll give it another run, and I think Joe will be a lot better.

When you look back at the game, when he had a clean pocket, he was very, very efficient. Part of a clean pocket is the offensive line’s responsibility to give it to him and for him, to just deliver the ball where it needs to and just get off of certain reads. It was a bunch of different things. I thought he handled the huddle well, the procedure was good, everything was fine. We just stalled in the sense of when the pocket collapsed, whether or not he could get it to his check down fast enough. Just little things that were just a little bit off, especially in that first half. There was more than just him. There’s the o-line, there’s route running, there’s dropped passes, fumbles that stalled drives. There’s just a comedy of errors that lead to what looked like a bad performance by him. Now, it wasn’t the best performance, but I think it wasn’t as bad as people think it was.

We made our thoughts clear during the game. This is a team that has talent, and they are balancing the line between trying to win now and getting better for next year. Zach Wilson is the biggest puzzle piece and when he gets back, they will find out (hopefully) if he is the long-term answer at QB.

What is already known is that Joe Flacco had a great career and it is unlikely that he will be on the team next year.

So, why not play Mike White and learn if he can be along-termm backup? That is where we stand, apparently, Robert Saleh disagrees.

Can anyone explain why Mike White isn't in the game at this point? Get the kid some experience.

— JetNation (@JetNation) September 11, 2022

The Mike White chants have begun. pic.twitter.com/xCaTGnbysh

The post Flacco to Start on Sunday; Why? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Thumb Down 1

Mike White is not starting because.....

1. Salah knows and i do and keep saying it wasnt Flacco fault for the loss. the article states the comedy of errors we had. and most of them cost us points. cant believe OTHER players wouldnt make those same mistakes if White played last Sunday.

2. Flacco might be a statue but White isnt one??? Whites is not Lamar Jackson over here. if he is faster than Flacco it isnt by much.

3. last time White was running for his life he threw 4 INTs against Buffalo. for all the crap people are saying about Flacco he threw 1 INT and it was because Cager slipped on the wet grass. i dont trust White to be cool and calm enough in those conditions to not be a TO machine.

• Upvote 4

I like JD and I think his plan this far has been sound, but he really doles out some head-scratchers. I will still never understand how you can have a very specific offensive philosophy and system with certain necessary criteria for a qb, then draft and sign 4 completely different guys for the role. Flacco and White are at least somewhat similar, but they are sooooo different than Wilson and Strevs. Wouldn’t it be much more efficient to have four guys who have similar skill sets so you don’t miss too big a beat if the starter goes down? I thought that LF’s system is more mobile, more conducive to Wilson and Strev. But the go-to backups are statues who don’t seem made for the offense. It’s just weird. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

This entire forum wanted to cut mike white after the pre season and now he should start . you can’t make this sh*t up 

total lie

most I know wanted flacco cut as he is washed out

how many games has joe won as a starting qb for the jets

how many games did joe win last year

the best win of the season last year-who was the QB?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I like JD and I think his plan this far has been sound, but he really doles out some head-scratchers. I will still never understand how you can have a very specific offensive philosophy and system with certain necessary criteria for a qb, then draft and sign 4 completely different guys for the role. Flacco and White are at least somewhat similar, but they are sooooo different than Wilson and Strevs. Wouldn’t it be much more efficient to have four guys who have similar skill sets so you don’t miss too big a beat if the starter goes down? I thought that LF’s system is more mobile, more conducive to Wilson and Strev. But the go-to backups are statues who don’t seem made for the offense. It’s just weird. 

Garoppolo ran this offense in San Fran and he isnt known for his mobility.  Having mobility is always a plus in avoiding the pass rush but isnt a deal killer.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Because he gives them the best chance of winning. 

A think a substantial portion of the fanbase questions that belief.

Flacco's 2-12 record (0-6 since joining the Jets) since leaving Baltimore would also question that claim.

Ultimately, it comes down to two questions:  Winning and putting an entertaining product on the field.

I don't think Flacco does either of those things better than the alternatives.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Counter argument, White should be starting:

1.  Flacco is terrible.  He has been terrible for a long time now.  He is 0-6 as the Jets starter.  10-17-19 was the last time Joe Flacco won a Football game as a starting QB.  Mike White was 1-1 last year on one of the worst teams in the league in his first starting action.   There is a trend here w/ Flacco and it's bad, very bad, like the worst kind of bad, he sucks and cant win a game to save his life.

2.  While both might not exactly be mobile, Mike White seems much more decisive and the ball seems comes out a lot faster, seemingly getting to the check down faster as well.  Maybe it's comfort with the system, maybe Flacco has an old slow brain, not sure, but it looks different when White is in the offense.   Flacco took 3 sacks in week 1, Mike White took 4 sacks in all his playing time last year.

3.  Jets fans have been conditioned to think that an INT is the worst thing in the world and I get why, typically Jets QB's throw back breaking ones and, they dont have the ability to answer back but I'm fine with INT's and you should be too, as long as your Qb has the ability to answer.  Stafford, Herbert and Allen led the league in INT's last year.  I trust the offense under White to score and answer more than I do Flacco who is methodically terrible.   Mike White having a bad game vs. the Bills doesnt mean that who he is, that is very selective and if that's what we're doing here, then I prefer to think of my Mike White as the dude who beat the Bengals and now his jersey in the HOF.

It pains me to say this, but this.....this is a VERY Gudpost (tm).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Garoppolo ran this offense in San Fran and he isnt known for his mobility.  Having mobility is always a plus in avoiding the pass rush but isnt a deal killer.

Flacco is like an old boxer who can no longer pull the trigger on the jab.  He's done.  Garrappolo isn't done.

4 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

This entire forum wanted to cut mike white after the pre season and now he should start . you can’t make this sh*t up 

No.  No they didn't.  I've been a Mike White guy since WKU and love the idea of keeping him around to hopefully become a solid QB2.  Sadly, the Jets don't appear to be interested in helping him become that.   Several others have spent a fair bit of this offseason calling for him to get a shot.

4 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

No... the Streveler groupies were calling for Mike White out and Strevler to the 53 man

The Mike White Acolytes are a fever sticken group of zealots led by the diseased syphilitic mind of @TomShane  ....they will not go quietly onto the night.

Both groups are wrong.

If you're going to be a hyperbolic $***stirrer it helps to at least get the framing right.

47 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

He’s known for his quick release and is more mobile than Flacco.  
He’s also not playing on an OL as bad as last weeks Jets OL.  The interior OL was horrible.  
All help Jimmy G 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Flacco

Are you ready for more Joe Flacco on Sunday? Ready or not, here he comes.  Robert Saleh confirmed that Saleh would start during his press conference on Wednesday.

There was no serious need to make a change with Joe (Flacco). It’s one game. We played a really good defense. I know the quarterback gets a lot of the brunt. He gets celebrated and all the negativity too – the positives and the negatives. There are a lot of things that we as a team could’ve done to help him out a lot during the game, too. We’ll give it another run, and I think Joe will be a lot better.

When you look back at the game, when he had a clean pocket, he was very, very efficient. Part of a clean pocket is the offensive line’s responsibility to give it to him and for him, to just deliver the ball where it needs to and just get off of certain reads. It was a bunch of different things. I thought he handled the huddle well, the procedure was good, everything was fine. We just stalled in the sense of when the pocket collapsed, whether or not he could get it to his check down fast enough. Just little things that were just a little bit off, especially in that first half. There was more than just him. There’s the o-line, there’s route running, there’s dropped passes, fumbles that stalled drives. There’s just a comedy of errors that lead to what looked like a bad performance by him. Now, it wasn’t the best performance, but I think it wasn’t as bad as people think it was.

We made our thoughts clear during the game. This is a team that has talent, and they are balancing the line between trying to win now and getting better for next year. Zach Wilson is the biggest puzzle piece and when he gets back, they will find out (hopefully) if he is the long-term answer at QB.

What is already known is that Joe Flacco had a great career and it is unlikely that he will be on the team next year.

So, why not play Mike White and learn if he can be along-termm backup? That is where we stand, apparently, Robert Saleh disagrees.

Can anyone explain why Mike White isn't in the game at this point? Get the kid some experience.

The Mike White chants have begun. pic.twitter.com/xCaTGnbysh

The post Flacco to Start on Sunday; Why? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Why not start Mike White ?

Because week 2 you are not looking to see if you have a backup QB. Every guy in that locker room, players and coaching is thinking about playoffs and Super Bowl. (Yeah i know, I know) but I will guarantee you that that is what the coaching staff and the players are thinking about. Switching QB after week 1 to "see" what we might have as backup QB ? Seriously ?

We all wins this year. 7,8,9 whatever. You don't blow everything up over 1 game.

• Upvote 1

The obvious answer is, despite so many thinking Mike White is the next Kurt Warner, the Jets coaching staff doesnt believe in him as anything more than a 3rd string backup. They see him every day at practice and should know what he is and isnt.

That said, how much faith do we have in this coaching staff to evaluate that? We have no control or say in that.

And, is this a case of a HC just liking the old veteran who doesnt embarrass him completely, vs the risk/reward of a young unproven guy

18 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Why not start Mike White ?

Because week 2 you are not looking to see if you have a backup QB. Every guy in that locker room, players and coaching is thinking about playoffs and Super Bowl. (Yeah i know, I know) but I will guarantee you that that is what the coaching staff and the players are thinking about. Switching QB after week 1 to "see" what we might have as backup QB ? Seriously ?

We all wins this year. 7,8,9 whatever. You don't blow everything up over 1 game.

how many games has flacco won as a jet?  I love the argument the guy that has not won a game for us or a game in years gives us the best chance to win vs a guy that actually won for us and looked damn good vs the bengals

when flacco gets destroyed by the browns do we march him out there vs the bengals too or do we play the guy that actually has beaten them already?

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The obvious answer is, despite so many thinking Mike White is the next Kurt Warner, the Jets coaching staff doesnt believe in him as anything more than a 3rd string backup. They see him every day at practice and should know what he is and isnt.

That said, how much faith do we have in this coaching staff to evaluate that? We have no control or say in that.

And, is this a case of a HC just liking the old veteran who doesnt embarrass him completely, vs the risk/reward of a young unproven guy

please white played great against the bengals-our damn coach was singing his praises like he was joe namath-then he got beat up in a game any jets qb was going to get beat up in and he jumped ship

when has flacco actually won a game for the jets? HE NEVER HAS

when was his last win?

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

how many games has flacco won as a jet?  I love the argument the guy that has not won a game for us or a game in years gives us the best chance to win vs a guy that actually won for us and looked damn good vs the bengals

when flacco gets destroyed by the browns do we march him out there vs the bengals too or do we play the guy that actually has beaten them already?

You are not changing QB's after week 1. No legitimate NFL coach is tossing in the towel after week 1 and looking to next year. Salah is telling these guys to clean up the mistakes (Flacco included), and they will be fine.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

1.  Flacco is terrible.  He has been terrible for a long time now.  He is 0-6 as the Jets starter.  10-17-19 was the last time Joe Flacco won a Football game as a starting QB.  Mike White was 1-1 last year on one of the worst teams in the league in his first starting action.   There is a trend here w/ Flacco and it's bad, very bad, like the worst kind of bad, he sucks and cant win a game to save his life.

2.  While both might not exactly be mobile, Mike White seems much more decisive and the ball seems comes out a lot faster, seemingly getting to the check down faster as well.  Maybe it's comfort with the system, maybe Flacco has an old slow brain, not sure, but it looks different when White is in the offense.   Flacco took 3 sacks in week 1, Mike White took 4 sacks in all his playing time last year.

3.  Jets fans have been conditioned to think that an INT is the worst thing in the world and I get why, typically Jets QB's throw back breaking ones and, they dont have the ability to answer back but I'm fine with INT's and you should be too, as long as your Qb has the ability to answer.  Stafford, Herbert and Allen led the league in INT's last year.  I trust the offense under White to score and answer more than I do Flacco who is methodically terrible.   Mike White having a bad game vs. the Bills doesnt mean that who he is, that is very selective and if that's what we're doing here, then I prefer to think of my Mike White as the dude who beat the Bengals and now has his jersey in the HOF.

Counter-counter argument

1. this is a team sport. blaming him for win-loss record is not fair. he gets the loss last week but a bunch of critical errors by everyone but him cost us the game. and 4 of those losses came in 2020 in a Adam Gase offense with a much worst roster than today or even last year.

2. yes White gets rid of the ball more quickly but thats because he is always checking down. Flacco went downfield. you have to do that or the defense will just load the box and force him to beat them deep which White has yet to prove he can. and if they do that they will shut down the running game in the process. 

now considering how bad the OL was Flacco should have checked it more than he did, but not to the way that White who does it all the time. he never throws it 25 yds downfield. 

3. i dont disagree on this. INTs arent all that bad as long as you score TDs. all those guys you mentioned are really good and throw a hell of a lot more TDs than INTs. Mike White was the 2nd worst INT% with 6.1% only Boyle from Det was worst (6.4%) 

you can be selective and choose the Bengals game but what is more likely? the Bengals had no tape and didnt know what to expect? Indy had a short week on Thursday night and just went with a regular defense. ( remember Johnson had a 300yd game against INdy that night. is that who he is? ) and then Buffalo had tape and exposed Whites weakness.

OR

White is really Bengal game good and Buffalo just had too great a defense that he had no chance. well if thats the case then the whole NFL messed up cause anybody could have had him for a 5th rd pick. even if you think the Jets CS is garbage the whole NFL passed on him. so apparently, they all feel the same about him.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

You are not changing QB's after week 1. No legitimate NFL coach is tossing in the towel after week 1 and looking to next year. Salah is telling these guys to clean up the mistakes (Flacco included), and they will be fine.

how is it throwing in the towel by changing from a guy that has not won a single game for the jets and has not one a game in a few years

p.s saleh is not a legitimate coach either guy is worse than Gase losing more with more talent 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

3.  Jets fans have been conditioned to think that an INT is the worst thing in the world and I get why, typically Jets QB's throw back breaking ones and, they dont have the ability to answer back but I'm fine with INT's and you should be too, as long as your Qb has the ability to answer.  Stafford, Herbert and Allen led the league in INT's last year.  I trust the offense under White to score and answer more than I do Flacco who is methodically terrible.   Mike White having a bad game vs. the Bills doesnt mean that who he is, that is very selective and if that's what we're doing here, then I prefer to think of my Mike White as the dude who beat the Bengals and now has his jersey in the HOF.

Conspiracy theory:  Saleh doesn't want a QB controversy when Wilson comes back and thinks that while Flacco is bad, the running game and defense are good enough to squeak by at 2-2.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

please white played great against the bengals-our damn coach was singing his praises like he was joe namath-then he got beat up in a game any jets qb was going to get beat up in and he jumped ship

when has flacco actually won a game for the jets? HE NEVER HAS

when was his last win?

I would much rather see White play than Flacco, there is no upside at all to me playing Flacco, I am just saying that is likely what is going on