Some Reasons I am still super optimistic for this season

JohnnyLV

I really, really would like to be optimistic about the future of this team but it all boils down to QB.

I'm just not confident in Zach Wilson being the savior.

If we don't get the position figured out soon, we'll just be wasting the other resources (particularly those on rookie contracts.)

• Upvote 2

Agreed on all points.  I’m also very down on Saleh but I’m still hoping he comes to his senses and shows us why we were all excited for his hire.  Zach coming back is the biggest thing.  No matter what side of the fence you’re on it’s better than watching Flacco and maybe just maybe Zach does turn out yo be the answer.  Obviously the biggest thing is all the young weapons we have like Garrett Wilson and Hall with Sauce and JJ on the defensive side.  So yeah despite my criticisms I still have some optimism 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

I really, really would like to be optimistic about the future of this team but it all boils down to QB.

I'm just not confident in Zach Wilson being the savior.

If we don't get the position figured out soon, we'll just be wasting the other resources (particularly those on rookie contracts.)

Ownership is, as usual, the real culprit.  If I had any confidence in Woody Johnson whatsoever, I'd be demanding an all-out assault to bring in Sean Payton and Aaron Rodgers or something of similar aggressiveness.  But that will never happen under the Johnson's.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sometimes forced baptism by fire makes a player better that would have had to wait his turn.  Mitchell is getting a LOT of experience by force this year.  Not ideal for the team but in the long run might be better.

Mitchell might be the only positive thing to come out of this OL injury mess.  He was obviously drafted as a developmental tackle but has stepped up and shown more than the top two OL in the draft 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think the biggest difference w/ Lawrence is Doug Pederson who's staff includes Press Taylor, Jim Bob Cooter and Mike McCoy.

I'm still excited about the talent on this team.  I'm intrigued by seeing how different it looks w/ Wilson.  I'm not confident whatsoever in the coaching staff's ability to change and adapt.  I'm worried about another inept coaching staff that cant work their way out of a wet paper box.

I have a little more confidence in LaFleur but we just have to see with Zach.  

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

, Saleh FINALLY admitted that he may need to change up the defense, make it simpler and more tailored to the team. I am somewhat doubtful he will but we will see. 

this is the happiest news i have heard in a long time. they need to stop with the zone defense. these guys are no good with it plus it defeats having a #1 CB like Sause when you could just line up your best WR where he is not and he wont follow because his zone is somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I think the biggest difference w/ Lawrence is Doug Pederson who's staff includes Press Taylor, Jim Bob Cooter and Mike McCoy.

I'm still excited about the talent on this team.  I'm intrigued by seeing how different it looks w/ Wilson.  I'm not confident whatsoever in the coaching staff's ability to change and adapt.  I'm worried about another inept coaching staff that cant work their way out of a wet paper box.

Most rookie head coaches bring in at least one former head coach in some capacity; OC, DC, or Asst HC. Following the unfortunate death of Greg Knapp everyone else in the key positions is a first timer in that role. That has slowed the progress of everyone involved. Your post identified that even as an experienced HC Peterson brought in 3 offensive coaches who have experience in either OC, HC or both.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

1. FWIW I am NOT a fan so far of Saleh and Ulbrich. Still in wait and see mode with LaFleur. I find them stubborn and tunnel visioned on their "system". However, in a blink and you will miss it moment, Saleh FINALLY admitted that he may need to change up the defense, make it simpler and more tailored to the team. I am somewhat doubtful he will but we will see. 

2. Zach is returning (hopefully) After watching the corpse of Joe Flacco be abused for 3 weeks I hope more people are open to the idea that Zach may just be a better option. Light bulb seemed to go on for Lawrence (largely due to better weapons) and Zach's weapons are a zillion (sorry for the technical term) times better than he had the second half of last season. 

3. Our roster is much much more talented than it seems so far, especially the rookie additions. Now, I think that everyone at this point realizes that Garrett is a complete warrior and future All Pro star in this league. He just jumps out as the best player on the field every time you look at him. And Zach is better suited to get him the ball more often. However, it is not just GW, but we are seeing significant contributions from many rookies. 

Sauce -looks every bit of a lockdown corner. Has made some mistakes but the talent, work ethic and drive is all evident. Now we just need to have Saleh play more man

Max Mitchell - He is quickly becoming a major "find". Not only is he not a weakness, but he is improving noticeably each week. And he was a fourth rounder not because of technique but                                because of concerns about size and strength, with the thought he would need a year just to be NFL level in those areas. But he is well ahead of schedule in both areas. He has been                                      decent to good in both areas (see tweets below). I don't care what they do at LT, Mitchell just needs to stay at RT, hopefully for a decade or so

JJ -  Jermaine has really come on the last couple weeks, especially in rush defense. 

In fact all 4 of these guys are in the Top 15 best rookies of Week 3 per PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookies-15-highest-graded-week-3-2022

And this is to say nothing of Breece Hall who is already a weapon (despite some drops/victim of bad passes) in the passing game and showing improvement in the rush game

And Michael Clemons who is making an impact even in limited snaps. 

It is not outlandish to think we get 5 foundational starters in this last draft, including at least 2 with All Pro potential. And AVT, Moore MC1 and MC2 all look improved from last year. AVT is playing close to elite level.

4. Pretty much every team in the NFL is either 1-2 or 2-1. There are only 2 3-0 teams, but no team has really looked dominant. Two of the 3 best are in our division which sucks but injuries are racking up for Buffalo and I am not sure Miami is as good as their record. We are still right there

5. Our schedule looks far less intimidating on paper than it did a few weeks ago. Pittsburgh is not good. NE is not very good. Denver can't score. We face GB on the week they come back from Germany, etc... and our schedule after the bye seems really favorable.

I still think we can be an 8 or 9 win team. Yes it depends on Zach. I am higher on him than most but even with the OL woes he is really coming back to a situation where he should succeed. Flame away!!

Max Mitchell stuff

Thanks for the informative post.  Its the coaching that worries me

there are two things that make me not a optimistic. well prob more cause im a lifelong jet fan who knows how this movie ends but its #1 the coaching staff. mainly saleh and ulbrich. they have shown nothing on defense. case is out on lefluer. he needs to run the ball more and stop with the gadget plays all the time. #2 is the schedule. i know you cant control who you play but its about to get a lot harder. hopefully zach comes out and balls out. not confident but i have had enough of flacco almost getting stripped sacked on every play.

Before the season, most would be very happy with 1-2 at this moment. I didn't expect to beat the Bengals or the Ravens but the Browns and Steelers, yes. If we get out of the AFC North 2-2, we are all very happy. They better beat the Steelers because what follows is most likely another ugly loss against the Dolphins and it gets ugly again.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post. It’s been raining here hard but maybe it’s always good to look for the sun. Listen, If the Jets can beat Pittsburg (and the Steelers aren’t good so they can) we are 2-2 and who knows.

Im just so frustrated with Saleh. He just seems like a stubborn SOB who won’t switch up. We will see. “Talent” only takes you so far. We need the team to operate as a cohesive and competent unit on both sides of the ball. Something country club Robert has yet to with his “grown men” that he doesn’t need to yell at.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like most of the roster and the GM.

Until proven otherwise…this coaching staff is horrid and will hold back our team for ever doing anything.

Go all in on a guy like Sean Payton.

Agree with the idea but I just don't see how Woody gets a fish like Payton into the boat.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking for this team to be a playoff contender next year. It's week three and the early results are mixed, not all bad. If they make some improvements each week, by then end of the year we should be very solid. 7 wins or more was what I had in mind and it's still very attainable. But I did expect the D to come into the season having Already made changes to improve from last year, and appears they didn't. That's not encouraging 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Complete control.  If that is what Woody decided to do he would have to be willing to give Payton everything along with $125 million or so. Not the route I would take

Yeah in the other thread I estimated 5 years/$150M fully guaranteed is probably what it would take for the Jets to get him. 

Curious -- why not the route you would take?