Jump to content

Bryce Huff tied Quinnen Williams for team lead with 3 QB pressures yesterday


AFJF
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:
“Hopefully” someone can remind Bob that he’s the head coach.  Stop playing JFM on the edge and Shephard and Thomas on the inside.  
At this point it’s a real shame JJ/Huff don’t get most snaps opposite Lawson.

LOL...my first thought when he said that.  Just want a reporter to remind him that the decision regarding Huff's playing time is his and there's no limit to the number of snaps he can use him on.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He should be the main guy rotating with Lawson. 60/40

If it were me (percentage of total reps)

Edge: Lawson/Huff 60/40

Edge: Johnson/Clemons 50/50

DT: Quinnen/JFM/Rankins/Thomas/Shep 60/60/50/15/15

Martin is getting too many reps

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not to be a poo-poo head, but I am looking forward to a time when we can see some statistics of getting to the QB, rather than players who lead the team in ALMOST getting to the QB.

Yes, but one could argue that the play that Picket threw the INT to Carter essentially costing his team the game was him backing up with 2 on coming pass rushers. Now that to me is better than a sack since most sacks don't result in fumbles and if he is sacked there maybe we do not get the ball back in such good field position at the 25 yard line and then go on for the game winning score. We just need consistent pressure from the DLine, that is what the 4 man line in a 4-3 is for. Huff and JJ seem to be getting it going helping the bigger name DLineman in Lawson and Williams. If those 4 along with some pressure from JFM and Solomon keep it up and we could develop a pretty decent pass rush already accompanied by a good run defense that is ranked 13th. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:
“Hopefully” someone can remind Bob that he’s the head coach.  Stop playing JFM on the edge and Shephard and Thomas on the inside.  
At this point it’s a real shame JJ/Huff don’t get most snaps opposite Lawson.

Can’t argue this too much. I think JFM has value on the edge but, with so many good edges on the roster, he should be playing more inside to give those guys snaps. I want to see more of the best guys playing, too. Not the coach’s favorite vet, or the GM’s expensive new pickup. I’m still fairly optimistic that they’ll figure it out with the scope of their DL rotation. The analytics will have to come into play. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Huff should be starting opposite Lawson with Q and JFM on the inside

Uh Uh. With both of them on outside, we'd get killed in the run game. Go with the hot hand on one side. Huff or Lawson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, genot said:

Uh Uh. With both of them on outside, we'd get killed in the run game. Go with the hot hand on one side. Huff or Lawson. 

I think you could roll with JFM or Johnson on the outside on early downs but in passing situations you pin your ears back with Huff and Lawson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you could roll with JFM or Johnson on the outside on early downs but in passing situations you pin your ears back with Huff and Lawson.

YES

I don’t get why Huff isn’t on the field more 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you could roll with JFM or Johnson on the outside on early downs but in passing situations you pin your ears back with Huff and Lawson.

Stand Huff up at OLB, behind Johnson or Clemons on passing downs. Just a thought. I get your point, and it's a good one.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

YES

I don’t get why Huff isn’t on the field more 

 

Hopefully,  he'll see more time now. They expected a lot more from Lawson, and haven't been getting what they,(and we) expected.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:
“Hopefully” someone can remind Bob that he’s the head coach.  Stop playing JFM on the edge and Shephard and Thomas on the inside.  
At this point it’s a real shame JJ/Huff don’t get most snaps opposite Lawson.

The fact that Nathan Shepherd sees the field is baffling.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not to be a poo-poo head, but I am looking forward to a time when we can see some statistics of getting to the QB, rather than players who lead the team in ALMOST getting to the QB.

I know it's not as sexy and doesn't always result in a stop, but if you get enough pressures, you're going to impact some plays.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, genot said:

Stand Huff up at OLB, behind Johnson or Clemons on passing downs. Just a thought. I get your point, and it's a good one.

Certainly enjoyed Rex’s blitzes back in the day but, outside of the occasional CB/S blitz, Saleh’s whole defensive philosophy is based on getting to the QB with the four down linemen. That’s the point of his controversial DL rotation, to have all of their legs fresh and running after the QB all game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, slats said:

Certainly enjoyed Rex’s blitzes back in the day but, outside of the occasional CB/S blitz, Saleh’s whole defensive philosophy is based on getting to the QB with the four down linemen. That’s the point of his controversial DL rotation, to have all of their legs fresh and running after the QB all game. 

I think Saleh, like Rex, is a little hard headed, and it will hurt him at times during the course of the season. You have to adapt, you have to do the unexpected. It what separates an average defense from a good one. A good defense from a great defense.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, genot said:

Suggested in a post last week to give him the snaps Lawson has been getting. Lawson has been awful. We don't lose any more in run defense with Huff. Gain a lot rushing the passer

Lawson will have to pick things up moving forward if he is going to be back here next year. 15mm is a big # when they will be looking to sign Quinnen.

Jermaine Johnson is looking good so far, hopefully Lawson is rusty from a year off.  When you look at his career sack totals I am thinking this is going to be it for him this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Lawson will have to pick things up moving forward if he is going to be back here next year. 15mm is a big # when they will be looking to sign Quinnen.

Jermaine Johnson is looking good so far, hopefully Lawson is rusty from a year off.  When you look at his career sack totals I am thinking this is going to be it for him this year.

It would be disappointing re: the progress of some of our other guys if Lawson isn't considered expendable next year.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Huff, but is he not one-dimensional?

If he's truly that bad against the run, I understand him being deactivated for the Ravens and Browns' games... don't understand why he'd be out for the Bengals.

Anyway, does anyone else think JFM not only sucks at rushing but also gives up the edge way too frequently v the run? Lawson just does his thing every play and it's annoying, but he does get pressure. JFM seemingly does not apply pressure and is a liability on the edge v the run?

I cannot cite any stats, I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this or I'm just batsh*t crazy.

I'd like to see more JJ II and Clemons on 1st and 2nd with Huff seeing more third down plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 4:14 PM, CanadaSteve said:

Not to be a poo-poo head, but I am looking forward to a time when we can see some statistics of getting to the QB, rather than players who lead the team in ALMOST getting to the QB.

My sentiments exactly.

With that said, Huff seems to have had an impact of sorts in his time on the field, enough to perhaps earn more time on the field this week, I could see that as valid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...