Quinnen Williams - AFC Defensive Player of the Month

17 minutes ago, jamesr said:

There are posters here already seeing his performance this year as purely contract related. Very sad.

First:  Congrats to QW.

With that done, why is that sad?  He's had three mostly disappointing seasons, and now in year 4 he's having a very strong season.  There is a reason few around the league know his name like they do guys like Aaron Donald and his ilk before this year.

And we've seen things like that before, guys cruise, then go balls out to get a new big $$ deal, then cruise some more.  Especially on the D-Line.  A few names of our own come to mind.

Seems pragmatic to consider that a guy balling out only in a potential contract year after several less than stellar years might carry with him some risk of drop back post-new-deal.  

Seriously, some of you act like you're defending your girlfriends or mothers honor when you talk about players....

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I've said this before....Q's up tick has more to do with Joe Douglas than any contract year nonsense. 

Q is finally playing on a complete defense. Sauce and DJ Reed on the back end shutting down those easy completions, forcing QBs to hold the rock a tad longer than they want....then WHAM! Q gets home.

Lawson, Huff, Clemons, Jermain on the outside forcing QBs to step up to avoid the outside pass rush....then WHAM! Q gets home up the middle.

People have noted how Aaron Donald has 'fallen off' this season....losing his outside pass rusher (Von Miller) leaves Donald as the only force on the line. A situation QW has dealt with since getting drafted, until this year.

Oh, and fans who think Q will sign a $20-something/year are crazy. $30m/yr could just be the starting point in negotiations.....

• Upvote 1

To me this is pretty simple.  

To extend/sign QW, that will require an NFL team to guarantee him a significant amount of money.

But the contract needs to be structured so that QW is incentivized to perform.  

The multi-year guaranty should look like 5th year option annually, for let's say 3-4 years.  

QW can make much more if he makes the Pro Bowl, All Pro, Playoff wins, for example.  

But I don't think someone is being negative or cynical to think that guaranteeing someone that big, who has to beat his brains in 50+ times per week, may hold back some effort and brain damage after they are paid $100mm, particularly when his performance this season is so much better than the prior ones.  Its just human nature.  I think analytics on second contracts for DTs is compellingly negative.

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Excellent.  For one tenuous moment it seemed we might have a list that doesn’t reference our QB.  Thanks for making the world right again!

This is something many people I know, people that don't  post here have talked about. We all see the talent on this team. We could be playing for a SB spot if the QB position was settled. But hey, don't  worry, my family full of Giant fans feel the same way about Danny Dimes. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

First:  Congrats to QW.

With that done, why is that sad?  He's had three mostly disappointing seasons, and now in year 4 he's having a very strong season.  There is a reason few around the league know his name like they do guys like Aaron Donald and his ilk before this year.

And we've seen things like that before, guys cruise, then go balls out to get a new big $$ deal, then cruise some more.  Especially on the D-Line.  A few names of our own come to mind.

Seems pragmatic to consider that a guy balling out only in a potential contract year after several less than stellar years might carry with him some risk of drop back post-new-deal.  

Seriously, some of you act like you're defending your girlfriends or mothers honor when you talk about players....

Personally, the reason I feel it is sad is that anyone who does genuinely improve their play immediately gets labelled as a contract chaser without any evidence to support it. Assuming the worst about someone rather than assuming the best. Guilty till proven innocent.

It was the same with JFM last year ... the fact he got an extended contract just after a few stand out games had people then complaining when subsequent games weren't of that same stand out nature. Because he'd got paid and "chose to get lazy".

Not defending anyone's honour ... just looking to see the silver lining rather than the cloud.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

every thread turns into a zach thread unfortunately

well it's true. 

Yes, it be can tedious to read, but really, what do you expect. This roster has been bereft of talent for a decade. Now it's blossoming, and we're held back by a stunted 2nd year QB and fans are frustrated as a result. Its the one position that is painfully hard to fix, and the future is murky at best.  It is what it is, batman.

• Upvote 4

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the fact that after his big brother joined the team and was successful on his own merits, QW has elevated his own play.  I mean, having Quincy there has been a huge thing I think for him and helped push him to this level.  I think their natural competition between brothers can only help the Jets as they both work harder to succeed.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Personally, the reason I feel it is sad is that anyone who does genuinely improve their play immediately gets labelled as a contract chaser without any evidence to support it.

Well, that's likely because of how common it is, the reality of human nature, and a healthy does of cynicism about play quality variance that just-so-happens to line up with a contract year.

Assuming the worst about someone rather than assuming the best. Guilty till proven innocent.

A bit melodramatic.  Fan perception is irrelevant, so I wouldn't liken it to an unfair criminal case.

It was the same with JFM last year ... the fact he got an extended contract just after a few stand out games had people then complaining when subsequent games weren't of that same stand out nature. Because he'd got paid and "chose to get lazy".

Hardly unreasonable that when a plyer gets paid for his best, it's with the intention that we see alot more of that best later.

If we pay big $$ to QW, we want QW of this year.  Not his first three years. 

Not defending anyone's honour ... just looking to see the silver lining rather than the cloud.

There is a term for this:  Pollyanna. 

Nothing wrong with being a Pollyanna, it's just not a more correct accurate predictor than healthy cynicism (Eeyore).

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

well it's true. 

Yes, it be can tedious to read, but really, what do you expect. This roster has been bereft of talent for a decade. Now it's blossoming, and we're held back by a stunted 2nd year QB and fans are frustrated as a result. Its the one position that is painfully hard to fix, and the future is murky at best.  It is what it is, batman.

Just tiresome is all.  We ALL understand Zach Wilson has struggled.  There are 15 threads on page 1 to discuss his struggles and all are valid.  But if someone wants to go and discuss Quinnen Williams it shouldn't have to turn into "what a shame he is so good but our QB stinks."   That's all we are saying. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

Just tiresome is all.  We ALL understand Zach Wilson has struggled.  There are 15 threads on page 1 to discuss his struggles and all are valid.  But if someone wants to go and discuss Quinnen Williams it shouldn't have to turn into "what a shame he is so good but our QB stinks."   That's all we are saying. 

i think everyone needs to be at peace with the fact that that will permeate every topic. It's unavoidable given the significance it plays in anything future state. 

• Upvote 2