Bills-Bengals

PS17

It's obviously the least of concerns at the moment, but assuming there's no time for the game (and there likely isn't) I'd imagine the route they'll take is calling the game a tie.  While not a perfect solution, it's also likely the least controversial.  Any other options would be dependent on altering the records of other teams as well, which would never fly.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

That is the other possibility which means there would be a stand alone game Bills/Bengals the weekend the wild card games were supposed to be played.

That though causes a lot of scheduling problems -

If you do the stand alone make up game then whoever of the Bills/Bengals does not get the #1 seed, will end up having to play  the first round of the playoffs the following week - meaning the team they end up playing will have had a bye the week prior.

The #1 seed in the NFC would end up with two weeks off.

It would be a scheduling mess.

Good point. I didn't even think of that. That alone makes this scenario very unlikely to me. 

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The game should have been played this Thursday night, as hard as it would have been. Now you have to move everything out a week like this is the 2001 season after September 11th. 

It remains to be seen, but I'm skeptical that they will rearrange the playoffs for this one game. We'll find out soon. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

They could call it a season...cnx the 17 game season and just make it 16 this year...

Pats are in...lol

Goodell always looking out for his buddy Kraft.  Kind of like he helped the Pats out by putting the Chiefs on Saturday.  Goodell is hoping the Raiders pull the upset, making the Bills rest their starters and giving the Pats an easier path into the playoffs.

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's obviously the least of concerns at the moment, but assuming there's no time for the game (and there likely isn't) I'd imagine the route they'll take is calling the game a tie.  While not a perfect solution, it's also likely the least controversial.  Any other options would be dependent on altering the records of other teams as well, which would never fly.

Little League style, Sunday doubleheader. 

do it jewish GIF

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Aren't the Ravens and Bengals still fighting for the division? 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. if the Bengals had lost last night, the Ravens would win the division with a win over Cincy next week. It's a messy situation. 

Oh...that's right.  Didn't consider that either.  The only way my proposal works is if the Bengals win this week vs the Ravens, otherwise they almost have to find a way to finish Bills/Bengals

• Upvote 2

I know this doesn’t matter and unlike gambling establishments who can just refund the game or parlays, now that this game isn’t happening this week, the 70 Billion dollar fantasy football industry just had their season blow up on the final day of the fantasy playoffs. I am in only one league and would have won if burrow got 2 more points. But, that’s fine. I feel like this entire incident puts life in perspective and how unimportant most things are. I don’t remember ever seeing the sports world come together for one man, like they did last night. No matter the team or the sport. It was a beautiful thing to see, during a very tragic event, and shows that these guys, we yell and scream about every week, are human. 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It remains to be seen, but I'm skeptical that they will rearrange the playoffs for this one game. We'll find out soon. 

One thing I know for a fact isn't happening is the Bills getting handed the No. 1 seed if the Chiefs and Bills win next Sunday. That would be absolutely ridiculous considering the Bills get away with not finishing out a game they were down 7-3 vs the red hot Bengals in Cincinnati. This was a huge game for playoff seeding purposes for not just the Bills and Bengals but the Chiefs too. It's terrible what happened to Damar Hamlin and I'm praying for the kid, but they should have played the game Thursday night. Now they're left with hoping the Patriots, Ravens and Raiders all win next week to let them off the hook for rescheduling the game. I can't wait to watch those three games and see how the refs officiate those games.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

One thing I know for a fact isn't happening is the Bills getting handed the No. 1 seed if the Chiefs and Bills win next Sunday. That would be absolutely ridiculous considering the Bills get away with not finishing out a game they were down 7-3 vs the red hot Bengals in Cincinnati. 

That’s not what would happen.

If the game isn’t played the Chiefs will make the playoffs if both win out. 14 wins are more than 13 whether they call it a tie or no contest.

It’s Buffalo who would be getting screwed for their player suffering cardiac arrest on the field.

The only solution is to push the games back imo.

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

One thing I know for a fact isn't happening is the Bills getting handed the No. 1 seed if the Chiefs and Bills win next Sunday. That would be absolutely ridiculous considering the Bills get away with not finishing out a game they were down 7-3 vs the red hot Bengals in Cincinnati. This was a huge game for playoff seeding purposes for not just the Bills and Bengals but the Chiefs too. It's terrible what happened to Damar Hamlin and I'm praying for the kid, but they should have played the game Thursday night. Now they're left with hoping the Patriots, Ravens and Raiders all win next week to let them off the hook for rescheduling the game. I can't wait to watch those three games and see how the refs officiate those games.

Could you imagine how bad this Thursday re-schedule looks if the kid passes.  It has not been 24 hrs, not surprised to hear nothing at this point around the schedule.

• Upvote 3

I am not even gonna post the video here, because seeing his face saying it, makes me sick, but Bart Scott putting this incident on a helmet hit from Tee Higgins is just wrong. In no way did Tee Higgins do anything wrong and he is likely going to be negatively effected by this for the rest of his life. Bart Scott, like Skip Bayless, need to think before they speak publicly. Especially with Bart Scott’s past, concerning the Bengals and Joe Burrow. Simply disgusting. 

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm not sure what was so hard to understand about my post.

They no contest the Bills/Bengals game, they seed based on a 16 game schedule, so you take 1 game off of the Chiefs record.

If they all win next week:

Bills 13-3 #1 seed

Chiefs 13-3 #2 seed based upon a head to head loss with Bills

Bengals 12-4 #3 seed

If the Chiefs lose on Sunday

Bills 13-3 #1 seed

Bengals 12-4 #2 seed 

Chiefs 12-4 #3 seed based upon head to head loss with Cincy

Considering the circumstances and especially since the Chiefs already lost to both Buffalo and Cincy, I don't see any way the Chiefs will complain about this.

I can't see them pushing the entire playoff schedule back 1 week to accomodate a single Bills/Bengals game, if they do, they better donate all proceeds from that Bills/Bengals game to Hamlin's charity.

IMO, the only fair way to move forward, without the Bills and Bengals playing their game, is to cancel the week 17 and the outcomes.

There is no favoritism, no bias, just a universal choice.  I am not going to go through and look at playoff implications, but the financial loss to a team that could have potentially had a first round bye and Home field advantage throughout should be able to 1.) Play their game or 2.) Be on an even schedule.

The obvious bitch from jump street would be, the Bills didn't have to play the Bengals and Vice Versa, where as Kansas City did have to play both (and I Believe lost to both).

My first thought was winning percentage, but that didn't work.

KC 13 wins on 16 Games, Bills 12 wins in 15 Games.

• More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

IMO, the only fair way to move forward, without the Bills and Bengals playing their game, is to cancel the whole week.  

There is no favoritism, no bias, just a universal choice.  I am not going to go through and look at playoff implications, but the financial loss to a team that could have potentially had a first round bye and Home field advantage throughout should be able to 1.) Play their game or 2.) Be on an even schedule.

The financial loss of individual teams would pale in comparison to the loss the league would take for canceling an entire week of games.

Not happening.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, hawk said:

IMO, the only fair way to move forward, without the Bills and Bengals playing their game, is to cancel the whole week.  

The obvious bitch from jump street would be, the Bills didn't have to play the Bengals and Vice Versa, where as Kansas City did have to play both (and I Believe lost to both).

only downside is Jets don't get a better draft pick by not losing this week.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The financial loss of individual teams would pale in comparison to the loss the league would take for canceling an entire week of games.

Not happening.

The week already happened.  What loss would there be?

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

The week already happened.  What loss would there be?

Gambling money.  The NFL went to bed with Vegas and now they have to lie in it.  Declaring the past week's games a wash would have enormous financial ramifications on the gambling world for which the NFL would likely be largely on the hook.

Prior to that deal being struck they could make a call like that if they wanted to and not have to worry about it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hawk said:

What about the packers who are currently out but will make the playoffs if they win this week? 

So yeah,  horrible idea unless you are a Seahawks fan

Yeah this is unprecedented.  I have no idea how they make that game up unless they play it within the next two days and push the Bengals and Bills games for week 18 to Monday or Tuesday.   

Do they call it a tie?  I don’t think both teams will have a problem with it seeing what happened last night.  

Messed up situation both on human and football level.  

3 minutes ago, OMA said:

Could you imagine how bad this Thursday re-schedule looks if the kid passes.  It has not been 24 hrs, not surprised to hear nothing at this point around the schedule.

It will be just as terrible if the kid passes this week or next week, or anytime this year. I totally agreed with postponing the game that night, but they need to play that game at some point. Damar Hamlin is getting the best care he can get right now with his doctors and nurses. Everyone is praying for him, and I mean everyone. That game has to be played though. Since it's not going to happen this week, it has to happen after week 18. It's the only alternative since they decided it was too harsh to finish the game on Thursday night. It's up to the league and the players how they want to handle it, but I personally don't see how you don't finish that game. Too much at stake not finishing that game.

14 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

I am not even gonna post the video here, because seeing his face saying it, makes me sick, but Bart Scott putting this incident on a helmet hit from Tee Higgins is just wrong. In no way did Tee Higgins do anything wrong and he is likely going to be negatively effected by this for the rest of his life. Bart Scott, like Skip Bayless, need to think before they speak publicly. Especially with Bart Scott’s past, concerning the Bengals and Joe Burrow. Simply disgusting. 

I just watched his comments. It sounded more as if he was trying to explain what happened in a bang bang instance.

12 minutes ago, hawk said:

Rob Craft approves!  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gambling money.  The NFL went to bed with Vegas and now they have to lie in it.  Declaring the past week's games a wash would have enormous financial ramifications on the gambling world for which the NFL would likely be largely on the hook.

Prior to that deal being struck they could make a call like that if they wanted to and not have to worry about it.

In my opinion, the games were played and the outcomes were determined.

Also, gambling in on its own should have no bearing on the decision here.