This Offseason

it’s going to be a disaster. I can feel it in my bones. Off the top of my head, we need… 

1. an OC and two other positional coaches

2. A QB

3. to resign QW we probably need to rework/get rid of a bunch of other contracts

4. Our best RB is coming off an ACL, the rest of our running game stinks

5. we are so desperate at OL we need Mekhi Becton to become a viable starter.

6. We have one good WR and a bunch of jags

7. We have little to no cap space.

What are the odds the Jets will be able to address all (or most) of these issues successfully?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

it’s going to be a disaster. I can feel it in my bones. Off the top of my head, we need… 

2. A QB

3. to resign QW

4. Our RB is coming off an ACL, our running game stinks

What are the odds the Jets will be able to address all (or most) of these issues successfully?

The odds are SLIM!

• Upvote 2

I think we have a complicated offseason more than anything else.   There are a lot of different ways this can go.  It could be a mulligan season (waiting to draft qbs in the following year or to wait for a better FA qb situation), with a hold the fort type of guy (Andy Dalton type).

It could be a shoot for the moon season (Aaron Rogers/Lamar Jackson) where we trade future assets/cap space to try to go win a superbowl.

It could be a split the difference, try to go get a playoff spot (Carr/Jimmy G) but not overspend.

Each of these will in turn dictate what we can and can't do for the rest of the team.  What's sure is that we likely won't be able to sign Q Williams and also spurge on the offensive line.

This offseason should focus on a few things once the new OC has been hired.

• How to sure up the OL so the unit can stay together for more than a week.
  • Who to keep and who to let walk.
  • How best to fix the QB problem. This one I believe will be answered once the new OC has been hired as to which direction they will go.
  • How to maximize our draft picks. (Trade downs, OL, WR, LB and Safety).

This team should have made the playoffs, this year, so I consider 2023 to be playoffs, or entire staff being let go.

To me it is oline even over qb.

these playoffs have shown us you can get here and be competative with average to slightly above qb play.

sure we need to address the qb but I would hate to see them put all the money to a qb whether that is Lamar, jimmy etc.and not significantly improve the line.

Jd has an important off season

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

We are the Giants. lol...We got lots of holes to fill. At least we got a great D. 

We are not the Giants.  The Giants talent mismatch was expossed.  They didn't come apart at the seems as a team.  The Jets are a collection of players without purpose.  

To me it is oline even over qb.
these playoffs have shown us you can get here and be competative with average to slightly above qb play.
sure we need to address the qb but I would hate to see them put all the money to a qb whether that is Lamar, jimmy etc.and not significantly improve the line.
Jd has an important off season

OL is the most important position

.. more than QB ... If the QB has no time .. they fail .. look at Brady this year or Rodgers... The OL were much worse and so were they.

Problem is QBs are harder to find.

I would stand up and cheers of the draft went OL, OL, OL, QB, LB, LB

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2. A QB
3. to resign QW we probably need to rework/get rid of a bunch of other contracts
The cap is going up to 225 milly this year so we will have room to work. And AVT coming back is going to have a huge impact in the running game. I think it's largely overlooked just how important he is to the line and the effectiveness of the running game.

So there's that.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

2. A QB

1. Didn’t fans want a new OC?

2. It might be impossible to get worse QB play than what we saw this year. Only way to go is up. 

3. I don’t share the same concern. Q is not a free agent so an extension would probably push the big cap hit to next season 

4. A lot of running backs comeback from ACL injuries. He got injured relatively early in the year so plenty of time to recover. 

5. Becton returning from injury should be a positive. He played incredibly well as a rookie so if he’s healthy and in shape maybe he could become the dominant tackle the Jets envisioned. Beyond that AVT returns as well and the Jets will likely draft a tackle in the first round. 

6. agreed, but GW is really good. Jets haven’t had a player like him in some time.

7. They can cut or restructure guys. The only thing they need to do in free agency is get a QB and maybe add a piece to the OL. The roster is pretty much set. 

5 hours ago, Hael said:

I think we have a complicated offseason more than anything else.   There are a lot of different ways this can go.  It could be a mulligan season (waiting to draft qbs in the following year or to wait for a better FA qb situation), with a hold the fort type of guy (Andy Dalton type).

It could be a shoot for the moon season (Aaron Rogers/Lamar Jackson) where we trade future assets/cap space to try to go win a superbowl.

It could be a split the difference, try to go get a playoff spot (Carr/Jimmy G) but not overspend.

Each of these will in turn dictate what we can and can't do for the rest of the team.  What's sure is that we likely won't be able to sign Q Williams and also spurge on the offensive line.

Q may have to compromise and accept getting the Ftag if we spend the bulk of our money on Vet QB and fixing the oline. That is what cost this team a playoff spot this year and is the highest priority to fix. And to get the cap space to fix QB/Oline they will have to cut or restructure Lawson, Davis, Mosley, etc. since the backups at all of their positions won’t really be a dropping from them.

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

This offseason should focus on a few things once the new OC has been hired.

• How to sure up the OL so the unit can stay together for more than a week.
  • Who to keep and who to let walk.
  • How best to fix the QB problem. This one I believe will be answered once the new OC has been hired as to which direction they will go.
  • How to maximize our draft picks. (Trade downs, OL, WR, LB and Safety).

This team should have made the playoffs, this year, so I consider 2023 to be playoffs, or entire staff being let go.

One area we are on the clock is that if Carr is to be traded there is only a few weeks for that to occur since he is due 40M by mid Feb. So, if that is something we will be involved in we need an OC in place before that meaning we would need an OC in place in the next week or two.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

2. A QB

1. A problem of their own making, but at least they got the mob to put down their torches and pitchforks for a minute

2. Biggest issue. Overpay for a glorified JAG or sign a value not up to the task? 

3. No. His extension should have a minimal impact on this year’s cap

4. Might need to get used to the idea that he may not look like himself for a little while

5. Luckily he looks great! 

6. Given the state of the team’s QB play, I’d say they have one genuine superstar and a few more to be determined

7. They have a good deal of flexibility 

A. 0%, of course

Outside of the QB position, the Jets are in a great spot. This is an elite defense with all-pro players at every level. Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are true offensive cornerstones and we also have AVT coming back, who has limitless potential. If Becton comes back in rookie year form, this OL will be fine. Especially if they continue to pour into it. 

The team is set up in rock solid cap situation and has the flexibility to basically do whatever they want.

If they manage to get Carr/LJ/Rodgers/etc., they’ll have no problems winning 10+ games next season.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

The way this team fell apart and the obvious discord in the locker and among the staff and the players isn't a good sign.  I think this was the high water mark for JD and Saleh not the middle of a rebuild.  

everything that makes the Jets look bad is a non story- Jets fans

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

The way this team fell apart and the obvious discord in the locker and among the staff and the players isn't a good sign.  I think this was the high water mark for JD and Saleh not the middle of a rebuild.  

This is why I think it's a real surprise that Woody didn't send Saleh packing.

2 hours ago, slats said:

1. A problem of their own making, but at least they got the mob to put down their torches and pitchforks for a minute

2. Biggest issue. Overpay for a glorified JAG or sign a value not up to the task? 

3. No. His extension should have a minimal impact on this year’s cap

4. Might need to get used to the idea that he may not look like himself for a little while

5. Luckily he looks great! 

6. Given the state of the team’s QB play, I’d say they have one genuine superstar and a few more to be determined

7. They have a good deal of flexibility 

A. 0%, of course

All this, yes.

Adding to #6 above, the team effectively had no serious WRC since Moore came into the league, he missed half his rookie season to injury, like 2-3 games (out of so many more) with adequate QB play, the much publicized over-complicated offense, as well as the also well-publicized 2-read max for ZW (with Moore and his near-exclusive go-routes pretty unlikely to be either of those first top reads).

Granted he doesn't have Garrett Wilson's 6th/spidey sense, but the idea that his first 2 seasons - under all the circumstances above - would be his career ceiling, is a pretty narrow-minded view. It may be or it may not, but the truth is their outgoing WRC was nothing for even longer before his deserved, multiple probowl appearances.

Likewise, while MC1 and Bam aren't Hall, each has looked en fuego at times. Carter was one of the league's best tackle breakers as a rookie, and Bam's NFL debut was a string of 100-yard games until the QB and OL positions fully imploded.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1