Jets Competition for Carr

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you can win a ring with Jimmy G level play, and I think Carr is better than him. Maybe that's a flawed way to look at it but give me the healthy guys with our roster and see what happens.

I think the Niners couldn't win a ring with Jimmy G level play and a significantly better roster the Jets' have currently. And I struggle to believe Carr would get the Jets past two of the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals teams that look like who anyone else in the AFC will need to go through to make the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

Remember when the Colts were like, we just need Matt Ryan!!!!!

Yeah it's a great example of the problem. Teams want a guy to get them over the hump, but when they're not actually good and that dude was expensive and the rest of the team needs to get paid...it's just a collapse.

Depends on the hump. I think Carr can get the Jets to the playoffs for a year or two before the team completely collapses and goes back into full rebuild mode. I'm not excited about the prospect of the Jets starting a rebuild that'll give me hope of a Super Bowl someday in 2025 or 2026. This team has young talent. Give me the plays that QB scenarios that raise the ceiling, I don't care about raising the floor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the Niners couldn't win a ring with Jimmy G level play and a significantly better roster the Jets' have currently. And I struggle to believe Carr would get the Jets past two of the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals teams that look like who anyone else in the AFC will need to go through to make the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future.

The Jets beat the Bills with Zach throwing for 150 and 1 TD without Breece and AVT with 1st in the division on the line. I'm not as concerned with them as I once was. I really think people will be surprised what not 32nd rank QB play could do for thus team.

• Upvote 2

I am now really hoping that the Jets acquire Carr after just reading Peter King say he thinks a team like the Jets will pay "at least" two first-rounders for Rodgers.  I'm praying to God that Douglas takes a more conservative approach than that -- such as Carr or Jimmy G -- because the thought of paying two first-rounders for a 39 year-old declining player with an attitude problem is just sickening.  I just cannot see it working out well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I am now really hoping that the Jets acquire Carr after just reading Peter King say he thinks a team like the Jets will pay "at least" two first-rounders for Rodgers.  I'm praying to God that Douglas takes a more conservative approach than that -- such as Carr or Jimmy G -- because the thought of paying two first-rounders for a 39 year-old declining player with an attitude problem is just sickening.  I just cannot see it working out well.  

Do you have a link? I tried googling but only found old articles

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

See I dont buy this BS

The goal is to put together a GOOD SOLID team and keep it together for 2-3 years and compete. If the SB arrives, great. Too many on this board think the ONLY way to do this is to finally find a FRANCHISE QB plus all the other pieces and dominate for a decade. That is FOLLY!

Look at the 49ers. That rookie QB is good, but not elite. Still, they are almost at the SB.

Look at the BILLS. They have a great team and they have been competitive and CLOSE to a SB for 3 years. What were posters saying after their loss? That they need to get a new coach???? lol please they just need to keep trying with what they have and whats working.

My Cowboys friend told me their coach has to go after yesterdays loss. REALLY? The cowboys had a terrific record and they lost a close one. One step from next weeks championship game. Thats something you KEEP and KEEp going with.

Carr would make our offense MUCH better. He might not be this fantasy magical qb god but he is very good, much better than anyone we had in a long time and would get us into the playoffs

Bill Parcells said it best: The goal, every year, is for the team to MAKE THE PLAYOFFs, not win a SB. Once in the playoffs you reevaluate for a SB win. You guys dreaming about drafting the next Joe Burrow and thinking that is the onl;y way  are in for a long long wait.........

Jag rookies like Purdy come into the league every year.

Find one.

Why overpay for Carr?

1 hour ago, Jets Things said:

Seems quarterbacks can be found in late rounds, so probably not before the fifth round. Tom Brady says hey. Just need the right staff to develop. 

Ok but what’s the actual plan for a QB1 right now because all of that takes time and you need an actual Plan A.  Midround QBs are Plan Bs.  

I’m not against drafting midround QBs, btw.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Maybe Mitch Trusbisky is more your speed?  Similar numbers to Carr too, ya know.

that's ridiculous.  trubinsky's best year , he passed for just over 3,200 yards, less than carr had his rookie year.

an average carr game (for his career) is 248 yards, 1.53 TDs, 0.70 Int.  On a 16-game basis (yes i know it's now 17) that's 3,968 yards, 24.4 TDs, 11.1 ints

an average trubinsky game (for his career) is 186 yard, 1.06 TDs, 0.67 Int.  On a 16-game basis, that's 2,976 yards, 17 TDs, 10.8 ints.

i'm not banging down the door for carr.  but say his numbers are similar to trubinsky is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, derp said:

who exactly do you suggest the jets get to get them past the bills, chiefs and bengals in the foreseeable future?

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

As of a couple days ago, DraftKings had the Jets as the favorite (+400) to land Carr.  Jetsxfactor did a pretty good summary on potential suitors.

The short of it:

Colts (+425):  In position to draft their QB of the future early in round 1 after dipping into the vet market 3 years in a row (missing the playoffs the last 2)

• agree with this; hard to see them getting into bed with Carr.

Titans (+650):  Releasing or trading Tannenhill will add $19M in dead cap space to a team projected $23M over the 2023 cap

• Meh, this is an oversimplification. That $19MM is coming off the cap whether he's on the team or not. If he plays out his last actual contract season, 2/3 of that will hit the 2024 cap anyway. Teams know they can push someone else's hits later if one player's hit pushes harder to the current year. It's routine.

Saints (+800):  Projected $53M over next season’s cap

• Yeah I don't see them getting in on this. On top of the current cap situation without adding Carr, they have so many to cut/restructure just to get to even already. I don't know if there's enough there to move back to add Carr.

Commanders (+900):  Some early indications are pointing to fifth round Sam Howell (UNC) being their 2023 starter

• yeah maybe, I don't know; too much flux with that team to get a read on what their plans might be.

Bucs (+1000):  Projected $55M over next year’s cap

• Likely same as New Orleans. They can move things around to push some guys back & cut others, until Brady's accelerated dead cap numbers clear, but adding a new $35-40MM/yr QB makes that a lot more difficult. 

Patriots (+1100):  Would they move on from Mac Jones after 2 years?  Would Carr want to play in an offense similar to the one he just struggled in with McDaniels?

• I don't think BB would see Carr as mentally tough enough for him. Never say never, but I think it's a long shot.

Panthers (+1200):  With the 9th pick, The Carolina Panthers select a QB after failed experiments with Darnold & Mayfield

• Depends on the new GM & who the HC is, if there's a change. It's possible they re-up Darnold for 1 more show-me season and draft a QB at #9; or just a different veteran.

Missing from this list is

• Atlanta, who's got gobs of cap space and may not want to go with a rookie QB (nor Mariota again).
  • Seattle: granted they're unlikely, but technically possible if Geno goes elsewhere (or they decide this is his ceiling & get out before getting in deeper), and aren't as confident in Lock giving them in 2023 what Geno did in 2022. They have enough wiggle room cap-wise, plus the extra draft picks to make up for Carr eating a good chunk.
  • Giants: just because they got this far with Jones doesn't mean they think they can get even further with him now eating up far more than $8MM of their cap, with multiple more years fully guaranteed. They have plenty of cap room, with even more clearing up after 2023 when they can move on from Golladay, but also need to address expiring contracts for Barkley, Thomas, and Lawrence (and replacing Shepard, too, not that he even plays).
  • Steelers I guess are a possibility, too, if they are already having serious-enough Pickett concerns - something further that they see behind the scenes, that they've been hiding as best they can on Sundays - and don't think Trubisky is worth another non-guaranteed $8MM as the backup plan. Maybe they sign Carr, and Pickett is the backup plan. Doubt it, but technically it could happen. I don't know that they've leaked even the slightest bit of interest.

33 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s the problem… there is no good solution available.

lol so what would be a good solution to you? Joe Montana was secretly training this whole time, is on massive doses of TRT and wants to come back only to play for the Jets? Let me guess, you have concerns about his height.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

But they are picking 9. They might be stuck drafting the 4th guy on their board.

Indy and Houston are definitely taking one and I’d imagine Vegas will be too if they are moving on from Carr. 

could be, yes.  I see 5 qb's going in round 1 this year.  youg, levis, stroud, mckee, richardson and possibly six with hooker

and no secret that i see mckee as being the steal. 

26 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

that's ridiculous.  trubinsky's best year , he passed for just over 3,200 yards, less than carr had his rookie year.

an average carr game (for his career) is 248 yards, 1.53 TDs, 0.70 Int.  On a 16-game basis (yes i know it's now 17) that's 3,968 yards, 24.4 TDs, 11.1 ints

an average trubinsky game (for his career) is 186 yard, 1.06 TDs, 0.67 Int.  On a 16-game basis, that's 2,976 yards, 17 TDs, 10.8 ints.

i'm not banging down the door for carr.  but say his numbers are similar to trubinsky is ridiculous.

He just says things to say things for cheap laughs from dudes that agree with him which he interprets as leverage in a debate

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The problem with the Derek Carr option is the commitment...do people really want to hitch their wagons to Derek Carr at 40 mil over the the next three or four years?  I feel the same way the last time we were in this position and drafted Zippy I would rather just sign a stop gap if you can't land Rodgers or Jackson and see who's available next year. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Because it is not that easy.  For every Brock Purdy, there are a dozen Jake Fromms or James Morgans or Sam Ehlingers or Ben DiNuccis. or Jake Lutons  Day 3 QB picks that don't amount to anything.

I want competent NFL QB play that does not preclude the continuing search for a franchise QB.  The Chiefs approach -- let a guy like Carr be our version of Alex Smith who can keep us competitive until we find our version of Mahomes.  I am tired of 32nd ranked QB play.

This and only this. Competent, competitive QB play while you find that "Elite" guy in the draft. Pretty simple stuff here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

If they’re intent on holding out hope for Zach, Rodgers is probably the best choice. He’ll cost less in draft compensation and, while Aaron is no natural mentor, Zach should at least learn some via osmosis. One thing that irks me about Rodgers is that he’s talked about coming back and winning another MVP rather than another Super Bowl. That doesn’t sit well. 

To me, Carr is the ultimate wheel-spinning move. He is not a championship QB, but he’ll cost as much as one. He’s Cousins, who I also never wanted. I get that both of those guys are a lot better than anything the Jets have had in a while, but all I see that guy bringing is higher stakes disappointment. Like Cousins winning 13 regular season games then getting bounced in the first round. I know a lot of fans just want to get to the playoffs, but I’m really not interested in getting in unless they’re a genuine contender. 

The only problem with this analysis is that Cousins was not the reason the Viings lost to the Giants. 

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Jag rookies like Purdy come into the league every year.

Find one.

Why overpay for Carr?

Overpay?  Teams overpaid for Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson.

Carr is an above average starter:  QBR ranging from 10-14 in each of the past 4 years.  He hasn’t missed a game due to injuries in years and he’s considered clutch and good against pressure.

There might be less competition for him given the data in the original post and his contract can be escaped after 1 year with only a few million in dead cap space.

Trading for him might only cost a 4th rounder plus a reasonable $33M salary.  The Raiders are on the hook for his signing bonus.

Worry about 2024/2025 when his cap goes into the low $40M range?  Shave off some of that in exchange for more guarantees, which he is light on.  You have flexibility; if the market continues to go up, then $40M might be a bargain.

in the meantime, continue to draft & develop QBs.  This year, middle round is just fine.  

This is NOT rocket science.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

The Jets beat the Bills with Zach throwing for 150 and 1 TD without Breece and AVT with 1st in the division on the line. I'm not as concerned with them as I once was. I really think people will be surprised what not 32nd rank QB play could do for thus team.

Yeah, it’s not just the Bills in a one off game though. It’s likely needing to beat two of those three teams consecutively, maybe all three, alternatively after winning another game against a playoff team, and then beating the NFC SB contender. 

43 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

who exactly do you suggest the jets get to get them past the bills, chiefs and bengals in the foreseeable future?

Take shots on a franchise quarterback and actually have a development plan in place. Or do what it takes to acquire one of those guys. Raise the ceiling, don’t raise the floor.

44 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

Ofcourse it's ridiculous.  That was the point.    

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, it’s not just the Bills in a one off game though. It’s likely needing to beat two of those three teams consecutively, maybe all three, alternatively after winning another game against a playoff team, and then beating the NFC SB contender. 

Again, this team hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years and you guys are thinking about what it would take to immediately win a Super Bowl.

Give me consistent playoff contention first. Something this team hasn’t been able to remotely accomplish since the 80’s.

You give Derek Carr a Top 5 defense, a couple of young playmakers on offense, and just a league average OL and there’s no reason this team shouldn’t win 10+ games a year for the foreseeable future and be in the hunt every January. From there, it’s entirely possible to get on a hot streak and then who knows what can happen?

What else can you really ask for?

If you have faith in this team drafting and developing the next Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow or Josh Allen, then keep dreaming the dream, I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1