Keenan Allen Likely Cap Casualty?

10 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I haven’t really been paying attention to Allen recently. Is he still having issues with injuries? He’s very good, but just seemed to be constantly hurt

he played 16 games in '17, '18, '19 & '21. He played 14 games in '20 and last year only 10.

doesn't seem like a guy who's consistently missing time due to injury.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

he played 16 games in '17, '18, '19 & '21. He played 14 games in '20 and last year only 10.

Interesting. Without looking, I would have said he's missed significant time every year.

I think there are players that play hurt and those that don't, and there are also players that start games but don't finish. I'm not going to pretend to know much about him, but I just feel like he's always on the injury reports and always missing time from games - even if he starts them.

He's definitely very good, don't get me wrong. But if we're looking to replace an often injured Davis, I don't know that Keenan would be the first place I'd turn. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I haven’t really been paying attention to Allen recently. Is he still having issues with injuries? He’s very good, but just seemed to be constantly hurt

He got injured a ton the first few years of his career, always something different, then had a nice stretch until last year where he was as dependable as anyone in the league. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

He got injured a ton the first few years of his career, always something different, then had a nice stretch until last year where he was as dependable as anyone in the league. 

Makes sense I stopped playing fantasy football around 2017 and always avoided him because the years prior he didn’t play much due to injury 

He’s the best possession WR in the NFL. Normally would say pass on an aging WR but his skill set will age better than speed guys. Would be on board with this one, but I think the chargers may find a way to keep him on board. Him and Herbert are so well connected, I think it would be dumb of the chargers to cut him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He’s the best possession WR in the NFL. Normally would say pass on an aging WR but his skill set will age better than speed guys. Would be on board with this one, but I think the chargers may find a way to keep him on board. Him and Herbert are so well connected, I think it would be dumb of the chargers to cut him.

Funny thing.  It feels like he's old, but he's just 30.  Which is the same age as Davante Adams.

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Corey davis 2.0 pass

I pass on all the often injured players. Good for nothing

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Seems like half the fans on here live in a constant state of terror that we're going to end up in cap hell if we sign good players. 

I worry more that we're going to suck. Mostly because we have for a decade.

Until this team finds a legit QB and has to extend him to a 400 million dollar deal. Then I don't fn care. Spend where you have to. We gave Trumaine Johnson all the money. We're fine. We made it through. 

I feel like we're still thinking in terms of a re-building team with draft picks and cash.

We're no longer 'that' team.

We're now a mature team with huge cap issues going forward, that will only get far worse with the inclusion of ANOTHER high priced FA.

Joe Douglas has to be very careful going forward. Eventually, we'll have to go to war with the soldiers we have. Mims, Moore, Carter, etc. There's a reason SD may not be able to afford to keep him. And that reason is the same reason we won't be able to afford him. It's getting to the point where any new big adds has to come with a corresponding big cut. Becton? AVT? Then Garrett? Breece? Sauce? Those 2nd big contracts aren't too far away.

That last thing JoeD thought he'd have to deal with is a highly paid QB on the roster...not for at least another 3-4 years. But here we are. SURPRISE!!!! 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

He had a great 5 year run of playing almost full seasons. He only played 10 games this year. He will be 31 soon, so you have to watch that, he is reaching the age where receivers are winding down.

BUT -- he has been good so long. He could be the perfect vet, he averaged 75 yards a game so he clearly still made an impact. If he takes a step back you still have a vet option behind Garrett and hopefully and emerging Elijah Moore.  I'd be all over this especially with a Vet QB!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

He had a great 5 year run of playing almost full seasons. He only played 10 games this year. He will be 31 soon, so you have to watch that, he is reaching the age where receivers are winding down.

BUT -- he has been good so long. He could be the perfect vet, he averaged 75 yards a game so he clearly still made an impact. If he takes a step back you still have a vet option behind Garrett and hopefully and emerging Elijah Moore.  I'd be all over this especially with a Vet QB!

100% Allen or Hopkins seem like great options. I think I prefer Hopkins, but if one doesn’t require a trade then that’s my choice. See if we can get a 5th for Davis then that’s a cherry on top 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

100% Allen or Hopkins seem like great options. I think I prefer Hopkins, but if one doesn’t require a trade then that’s my choice. See if we can get a 5th for Davis then that’s a cherry on top 

Hopkins had the better career, but I worry a little more about what he has left. That said I will be his biggest fan if he ends up here!

• Upvote 1

I would take prime Keenan Allen on this team in a nanosecond 

He still might make sense but only if the cost is reasonable

What this team also really needs out wide is a legit burner / lid lifter:

A Will Fuller or even low-rent “Devery Henderson” type (in the Sean Payton offense) where the guy catches maybe 25 passes a year but opens everything up underneath and for the run game