Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The o-line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be last year. We had a ton of injuries and Zach Wilson made it look much worse than it was.

Don't care about stats - this is where they fail ... I was at the game when I saw mike whites ribs explode through his back. So they suddenly got better without Zach ... or did the competition level drop ? I don't think you can put that jump all on the QB.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm still surprised the Packers wouldn't want to up their trade compensation by opening it up to the NFC as well. Rodgers is likely to play only 2 seasons, why care at all if you can get picks. Unless you think he 1) will continue at a high level or 2) will last longer than the 1-2 seasons.

Ya gotta think the Commanders and Panthers would at the very least offer up what we are tossing around.

Probably more to do with Rodgers decision on where to play. And could you see either of those teams beat the Packers in a playoff game. They would be destroyed by their fan base.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The exclusive tag is gonna cost something like $46M before new contracts are handed out this year. I don’t think Baltimore wants that to be the starting point for negotiations on a longer term deal. Also think that rumors of a significant rift between Lamar and the Ravens probably has a good deal of truth to it. If that’s the case, I think the non-exclusive tag becomes likely. They risk losing the player for “only” two first round picks, but the alternative is the potential that Lamar sits out the season because that’s about as hard-headed as he’s appeared in his negotiating stance. Worst case scenario for the Ravens would then be to have someone sign Lamar to an offer sheet after the draft that they can’t/won’t match, but they may just be happy to get rid of a headache. Be interesting to see. 

What I find hilarious about this stalemate is if the Ravens just kept tagging Jackson, they end up paying him 100mil guaranteed just placing on the franchise tag for 2 seasons.  So?  Why not just cough it up?  There isnt a single player in the NFL more valuable to him team (when available) and it's either that guy or reset and start over.  I know the Ravens have been thought of as a smart functioning organization but Bisciotti being the scumbag hie is and playing collusion w/ his buddies, is going to **** that team so hard because one of the owners is giving him the wink wink nod nod no more guaranteed contracts b.s. chatter but will 100% give Lamar what he wants if they do slap the nonexclusive on him. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Don't care about stats - this is where they fail ... I was at the game when I saw mike whites ribs explode through his back. So they suddenly got better without Zach ? I don't think you can put that jump all on the QB.

We all know facts, are not your friend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Agree .. perhaps a rook WR instead of Davis or Berrios.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Just go get Hopkins to go with Garrett and Moore.  Rodgers is a 1 to 2 year SB push.  Go get Hopkins and a pass rusher addressing oline can be FA and draft too. 

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I think he ends up getting traded to the dolphins-better wr core , better weather , no state taxes and Tua is not going to be the answer for the fins so they want a qb

I'm a little surprised the Phins aren't talking but that may have to do with not having any picks. Our 2nd rounder still beats their best pick. I feel like Rodgers could force a trade there though.

If this happens, it's going to be interesting to see how Douglas negotiates the deal. If it was Douglas negotiating for a player the Pack could freely trade, I'd be confident Douglas would come away with something favorable. This deal actively involves Rodgers and requires his acceptance of the numbers. Very little wiggle room with that scenario. Rodgers will want his money one way or the other. The only way GB concedes covering some portion of his cap hit will be with draft picks. So the question is, which is worse -- losing more picks or getting slaughtered with dead money when Rodgers retires. This is a big gamble with the future. I hope the joy ride that follows is worth it. Since it's not my money, or my problem, I'll sit back and be entertained, like those spectators watching Maximus dodging lions in Gladiator.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

another "lean" report.

Worthless

You never waiver, which is commendable.  

I just don’t get the logic that you’re all in on Jimmy G, Minshew, Tannehill etc for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb.  But you’re 100% out on having Aaron effing Rodgers for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Don't care about stats - this is where they fail ... I was at the game when I saw mike whites ribs explode through his back. So they suddenly got better without Zach ... or did the competition level drop ? I don't think you can put that jump all on the QB.

While you were there did you notice it was a delayed 6 man blitz where the 6th guy came after the o-line & rb committed? That was on White.

The o-line was very obviously better w/out Wilson.

• Upvote 2

If you were Carr, why wouldn't you go to New Orleans.  They play in a Dome stadium and we know he stinks at 37 degrees and below.  They play in the weakest division in football - Tampa won the division at 8-9. He also keeps an extra $10MM on his contract because the Louisiana tax rate is 6.25% less than New Jersey.

As far as the player, he was 4 years fighting for a wild card.  With our core, I would aim higher.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

it's become increasingly clear that the jets can't rely on the health of ANY of the linemen, except McGovern ironically.  Not sure why everyone hates the dude - durable and reliable.  not great but not bad by any means.

LT i guess is brown - health issues + age
LG is tomlinson - was awful last year, willing to see what happens this year but need a contingency plan
C should be McGovern again, i'd bring him back - options aren't great
RG is AVT?  coming off a season ending injury - have confidence that he'll be find.
RT is a giant question mark - becton? mitchell?  all coming off huge injuries.

4 OL isn't a crazy thought.

3-4 maybe but not 6 (see OP).

The salary cap is a real thing that needs to be managed and we have a healthy Brown (who played w/ a torn rotator cuff), a leaner Becton, a healthy Mitchell (according to Saleh), a healthy AVT, and Tomlinson (salary cap) who are going no where.

We need a (i) 4th OT who they’ll prepare to start in 2024 (at the very least), (ii) starting Center, (iii) starting quality IOL who can back-up at Center or start at Guard if Tomlinson doesn’t step up, (iv) another back-up IOL.

—————————

Startling Line-up

LT— Brown or Becton + (i) First round pick

LG— Tomlinson or (iii) Herbig (pay market premium to return as a top IOL backup / potential starter at Guard)

C— This is the (ii) free agent splash but it won’t be McGoven

RG— AVT + (iv) late round draft pick

RT— Becton or Mitchell

2 hours ago, JiF4Lamar said:

So you want to add 4 OL in FA and then in addition, draft 2 more when the only current position w/out a starter is C? 

I hope they didnt share that w/ Rodgers, that is an absolutely terrible idea. 

Put all the linemen at receiver/te, then run a bunch formation all season and just run dives. I like it.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

it's become increasingly clear that the jets can't rely on the health of ANY of the linemen, except McGovern ironically.  Not sure why everyone hates the dude - durable and reliable.  not great but not bad by any means.

LT i guess is brown - health issues + age
LG is tomlinson - was awful last year, willing to see what happens this year but need a contingency plan
C should be McGovern again, i'd bring him back - options aren't great
RG is AVT?  coming off a season ending injury - have confidence that he'll be find.
RT is a giant question mark - becton? mitchell?  all coming off huge injuries.

4 OL isn't a crazy thought.

Spot on about McGovern. He's a good player, and durable. He's had to adjust to cover up for other people's lapses. I.E. Van Roten and Tomlinson. 

7 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

When the report comes in that Rodgers spoke with the Raiders and/or another team, people here are going to lose their minds.

This board will absolutely explode whichever way this goes and it will be glorious.

• Haha 2