Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't have animosity toward either - I just find it funny.

This whole thing is ridiculous but I must admit I'm enjoying it.

Wouldn’t say I’m enjoying it. I understand that Rodgers wants control over the insiders but it’s kinda childish at this point. The whole universe knows it’s a done deal but we’re still playing twitter telephone.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Well said. The Jets are going to get snidely ripped by the beat guys for the next six months because they’re all chapped by being shut out of this process and they’ll want their revenge. If Rodgers plays well and the Jets win, it’d be like Belichick v. Ron Borges all over again. 

Yeah, anything short of a MVP type season, and it'll be spun as a mistake.  The Jets beat basically rips them anyway, because that is what sells.  Create controversy, then sit back and watch people go nuts over it because reporters are still seen as journalists, instead of reality tv producers.  Look at Maycock, master draft extraordinaire reporter, complete idiot of a drafter.  I think that's why a lot of the good organizations are very keen on keeping news in-house, because then they can control the narrative.  Unfortunately, the Jets are trying that while sucking on the field, so they get jokes on jokes. 

Every year, reports like "Last year's Day 1 free agency winners, didn't get good deals, most sucked" yet every night after Day I "Here are the winners and losers on Day 1".  

To be honest, I hate most of the NY media.  I rather listen to podcasts or fan blogs that discuss issues instead of creating them.  

• Post of the Week 3

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What's great is Schefter and Rap are going to have to report about the Pat McAfee show.  

Must kill them.

1 minute after the show which will have nice ratings this week but is hardly must viewing they will have their tweets out there and then the 95% of the football world that gets their news from them will learn about it from them.

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Can we all agree that once Rogers announces tomorrow we start a new thread.

I’ve been here for every page of this 220+ monster, so much angst and hope in here.  I can’t wait wait to turn the page ? 

image.png.6db71fd602bb097e4331dbb5caf5cf20.png

Just now, Beerfish said:

1 minute after the show which will have nice ratings this week but is hardly must viewing they will have their tweets out there and then the 95% of the football world that gets their news from them will learn about it from them.

Yes, but every tweet will be - Aaron Rodgers tells Pat McAfee he's agreed to terms with the Jets.

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Can we all agree that once Rogers announces tomorrow we start a new thread.

I’ve been here for every page of this 220+ monster, so much angst and hope in here.  I can’t wait wait to turn the page ? 

Sure, but I'm not willing to agree that he's going to announce tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sure, but I'm not willing to agree that he's going to announce tomorrow.

If he were announcing on Mcafee I’m sure there would be that headline similar to the Lebron stunt. I doubt he announces anything meaningful about his football future tomorrow unless it’s retirement.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, but every tweet will be - Aaron Rodgers tells Pat McAfee he's agreed to terms with the Jets.

Which means almost nothing, its frankly totally childishness and attention seeking.  You are tweaking two guys who will have moved on when the next story crosses their phone and will have tweaked the fans of the team you are going to.

14 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is more about a platform for AR to thank GB I think more then anything.

It has to be more important the good bye that is then the hello to NY.

I know we all only care about the Jets aspect of this, but there is a 18 year history there with that fan base.

Which is exactly why the hysteria around the holdup and the want to give his goodbye his way is downright pathetic by our fanbase…..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not exactly firmly in favor of bringing in OBJ I'm just saying him being on Rodgers' wish list doesn't bother me much. 

Wilson is the WR1 and hopefully an improved Moore or an upgrade like Hopkins, Mike Evans, or a WR a tier below ends up the WR2.  

And WR is ALWAYS a need.  For every franchise.  

The Jets don't have a center right now.  They also need a reliable tackle and/or a guard. The OL is priority #1 now that they have a QB (and one they need to protect).  They can't bring in a 40 year old immobile QB and expect Brown, Tomlinson, AVT, and Becton/Mitchell to be the starting OL with a rookie center.   They need a linebacker and a safety.  They also need a DT.  They can't be spending $10-20 million a year (or even $5 million a year) on a 30 year old receiver coming off an ACL injury who has 60 receptions total in the past three seasons.  Hopkins and Evans are also luxuries that will cost too much in trade capital and salary at this point.  They are also both old by NFL receiver standards. If they are coming here on cheap one year contracts, fine - but that's not happening.  The Jets can't trade 2-3 top draft picks for Rodgers and Hopkins/Evans, pay Rodgers and Hopkins/Evans along with Lazard and fill those OL holes.  

7 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, anything short of a MVP type season, and it'll be spun as a mistake.  The Jets beat basically rips them anyway, because that is what sells.  Create controversy, then sit back and watch people go nuts over it because reporters are still seen as journalists, instead of reality tv producers.  Look at Maycock, master draft extraordinaire reporter, complete idiot of a drafter.  I think that's why a lot of the good organizations are very keen on keeping news in-house, because then they can control the narrative.  Unfortunately, the Jets are trying that while sucking on the field, so they get jokes on jokes. 

Every year, reports like "Last year's Day 1 free agency winners, didn't get good deals, most sucked" yet every night after Day I "Here are the winners and losers on Day 1".  

To be honest, I hate most of the NY media.  I rather listen to podcasts or fan blogs that discuss issues instead of creating them.  

Not by any means defending NY media here, but they've shown on multiple occasions in the past before it's not that they'll only rip the Jets, rather it's that it will always be one extreme or the other, always going for the headline-grabbers... there simply is no middle ground.

When the Jets get rolling and the hype gets real, it always sells big and can quickly take on its own life in sports media, and the local beat have shown they'll love every second of it.  Unfortunately, the Jets do a very bad job of that happening very often, which is the bigger problem.

However, we've seen moments like the Favre-led Jets beating the 10-0 Titans that immediately had stories talking Super Bowl, or the Jets playoff victory over the Pats and Bart Scott's subsequent "can't wait" rant being the only thing anyone could talk about for the entire week.  Those moments are few and far between, but if Rodgers really comes to town (I refuse to believe it until it happens) and ultimately has success, the beat will happily bask in every moment of it and hype it up as the biggest thing in sports.  That is, until something goes wrong and they'll certainly credit themselves for having known the whole time, but it would be nice if the Jets could limit the frequency of those opportunities being provided for a change.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

1. How dare you

2. You don’t live in the tri-state area and are thus missing the local tenor of the Rodgers conversation, which is almost universally “ughhhhhhhhhh this guyyyyyyyyyyyyy” 

3. The point about the beat kids and Cimini being cushy-soft weaklings is one that I’ve made repeatedly on here myself. I harbor no ill will toward them specifically, and some of them do reasonably good work covering the team, so I’m not rooting for Rodgers to come humiliate them or the like. 

4. That said, it’s been an embarrassing week for all of them, and their incessant proclamations of Rodgers fatigue is pathetic considering how little content they’re producing on the topic. It’s like, pipe down Rosenblatt, I’ve written 10x more stuff on Rodgers than you this week, and that’s *while* I’m doing my actual day job. 

hahaha now that is funny! and I am being serious for a change

• Upvote 1