Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I think the deadline for the Packers would be the draft. They want this year‘s picks not next year’s lower picks.

Yes.  The last thing the packers want is conditional picks when rodgers can get the jets into the playoffs and it would also delay rebuilding by a year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why are people 100% ignoring the jets side of this equation?

The Packers had ZERO leverage to start the process, Rodgers and the Jets delaying things and not putting a drop dead time line on things eroded our leverage by a lot.  Before we had legit chances to walk away and go to plan B, now there is no plan B and the packers know it thus why they are trying to gouge us.  This dealt in the trade and getting squeezed by the packers is totally self inflicted by the jets.

there's is no plan B to getting aaron rodgers.

personally, i would have gone for carr at the contract he got from the saints, but obviously the jets wanted to go for the big fish.  as it turns out, carr was able to sign BEFORE rodgers even decided if he was playing football in 2023.

lamar is another option (not one i want), and guess what - he's still available

jimmy g is a conceivable plan C, but if you are a team looking to make a run, you going with the injury-prone game manager or the first ballot hall of famer?

everyone else out there is plan D, E, F or G

but in the end, the timing was dictated by rodgers not making a decision on whether or not he even wanted to play, let alone play for the jets.  so not exactly sure how the jets could have utilized this so called leverage you believe they had when rodgers wasn't ready to commit to playing for them (or anyone).

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Perfectly..... What?  They are playing it about as bad as you can play it when at the start of the process they had the Packers by the balls. 

Once it became apparent that the jets plan was Aaron Rodgers and not just get a better QB the packers got ammo.

If they were playing it perfectly Rodgers would be a jet right now at the cost of a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I like Douglas so far he has been overall a good GM but desperation and owners poking there noses into things changes things.

don't think 3rd or 4th rounder was ever in the cards.  

look if we give up 13 then i don't think it was a good trade.

how did we have the packers by the balls at the beginning of the process?

5 hours ago, slats said:

The Packers can take their time because the salary cap time bomb doesn’t go off until around opening day of the season, but I have a hard time believing that it could possibly go beyond the draft, resulting in Green Bay getting little or nothing for Rodgers this year. 

Simple. They ask for more ‘24 picks.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets have very little leverage, they are 100% committed to getting Rodgers and played all their cards.  They no longer have any good plan B's and are desperate for plan A and worse yet they have very likely 100% promised rodgers they are trading for him.....before seeing what the price was going to be.

Both teams face a disaster if the trade does not go through we shall see who has the nerve to hold firm.

I agree with your last sentence and that is exactly why I disagree with the first paragraph.  There is mutual need to get this done.

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It might work out perfectly for the Jets but this is a very naive point of view. To counter your point, “you really think that they (Green Bay) haven’t carefully calculated each move they made?”  

This is like Charlie Brown’s “haha Green Bay is a bunch of dummies, the Jets are the smartest ever!” thread. Joe Douglas isn’t some type of master GM, and the Packers aren’t run by idiots. The Jets do have more leverage but the Packers aren’t going to give away Rodgers due to some Jedi mind trick by Joe Douglas. 

of course GB has calculated everything as well.  I never said that.  It's just the poster is saying the Jets screwed up royally and i disagree.

it's more like what you said, both sides have some leverage, Jets have more in my opinion and a deal will get done that's reasonable.

• Upvote 1

The jets are a golden parachute to green Bay, they are just trying to get 1st round compensation because other high profile qbs traded included that but jd knows aarons worth and all the circumstances offered a fair deal. Green Bay can drag their feet but no one believes it's AR or NY holding this up. They will trade or not doesn't matter. 

If they don't then aaron screws them and forces it later on road. 

Who knows but JD played this perfect. Can't force green Bay to trade. Doesn't need to 

He will be traded soon enough...no need to worry if it don't happen now or even at draft 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Why would he want to play for a team that is, very clearly, punting on the season?  Nevermind the fact that they have publicly committed to Tannehill.

If the deal falls through with the Jets over compensation it doesn’t matter where he plays or if he retires we are still left without a viable QB option. That’s my concern as we have seen the Jets get left at the alter before. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Self loathing? **** you a$$hole,  it’s a discussion if you can’t handle someone with an opposing view point without insults maybe you shouldn’t be posting BS.

it's not the opposing viewpoints that i find self loathing.  it's the whole "media and the nfl is against us and want to make bad lol headlines against the jets".  

your actual points sure they are up for discussion.

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets have very little leverage, they are 100% committed to getting Rodgers and played all their cards.  They no longer have any good plan B's and are desperate for plan A and worse yet they have very likely 100% promised rodgers they are trading for him.....before seeing what the price was going to be.

Both teams face a disaster if the trade does not go through we shall see who has the nerve to hold firm.

Why are you worried about them promising something to Rodgers?  I am sure they told Rodgers what they would be willing to give up.  You think the Packers are going to pay all that money for Aaron to ride the pine?  Or refuse to trade him and let him play?  The Packers are the ones that have a legacy with Rodgers.  How much and for how long will Jets fans actually care what that hallucinogenic fruitcake has to say about them? 

Here’s the trade for Favre in 2008. Not sure why this isn’t being talked about more. Both guys were 39 and coming off nearly identical seasons. JD shouldn’t budge too far off of this.

Favre for a fourth-round draft pick. The pick turns into a third-round selection if Favre plays in 50 percent of the plays, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

Would love to hear GBs reason why they think AR is worth an incredible amount more than that trade.

My final offer would be this….

Nearly identical trade conditions as Favre’s trade for the 2024 draft. In addition we swap 13 for 15 (a late 3rd rounder value).

And that’s it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

there's is no plan B to getting aaron rodgers.

personally, i would have gone for carr at the contract he got from the saints, but obviously the jets wanted to go for the big fish.  as it turns out, carr was able to sign BEFORE rodgers even decided if he was playing football in 2023.

lamar is another option (not one i want), and guess what - he's still available

jimmy g is a conceivable plan C, but if you are a team looking to make a run, you going with the injury-prone game manager or the first ballot hall of famer?

everyone else out there is plan D, E, F or G

but in the end, the timing was dictated by rodgers not making a decision on whether or not he even wanted to play, let alone play for the jets.  so not exactly sure how the jets could have utilized this so called leverage you believe they had when rodgers wasn't ready to commit to playing for them (or anyone).

Your completely missing the point that the idea is to DEVELOP ZACH WILSON.  Rodgers is the perfect fit for a year or two.  Then Jedi Wilson appears or he is jettisoned for a rookie.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Nearly identical trade conditions as Favre’s trade for the 2024 draft. In addition we swap 13 for 15 (a late 3rd rounder value).

And that’s it.

And Green Bay would say no.

So.....Zach starts, or Streveler?

Or are you trading away all our picks for the 5'2" QB in this draft class?

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Here’s the trade for Favre in 2008. Not sure why this isn’t being talked about more. Both guys were 39 and coming off nearly identical seasons. JD shouldn’t budge too far off of this.

Favre for a fourth-round draft pick. The pick turns into a third-round selection if Favre plays in 50 percent of the plays, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

Would love to hear GBs reason why they think AR is worth an incredible amount more than that trade.

And that’s it.

My offer seriously would be .. we will take the salary hit. Nothing more. Then eventually throw them a 4th.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

of course GB has calculated everything as well.  I never said that.  It's just the poster is saying the Jets screwed up royally and i disagree.

it's more like what you said, both sides have some leverage, Jets have more in my opinion and a deal will get done that's reasonable.

JD has always shown he sticks to his price. I think Green Bay just doesn't want to admit they need to let him go for anything less than a first. AR coming out like that just makes them look like assholes. Which they are btw.

Joe's knows they will come around and he is unwilling to offer more than what he thinks it's worth. He just doesn't become macc cause it's such a big player name. 

It's a sign of a good GM. Every move he makes is based on his evaluation of what a player slis worth and how much he should pay. He may have wanted a good deal but he is always shown he will pay fair price.

I bet there is a an offer standing right now, one for before June 1 and after. 

People forget about that bead money charge green Bay has with the contract. They will come around. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And that’s it.

A lot has changed into he league in the last 16 years. It would be ignorant to think that the compensation for farve wouldn't have changed with it. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If the deal falls through with the Jets over compensation it doesn’t matter where he plays or if he retires we are still left without a viable QB option. That’s my concern as we have seen the Jets get left at the alter before. 

Ok Macc....I mean I get the worry I'm with you but you can't run a successful team that way and everyone knows it. 

All you should do is keep to your plan. If AR who will be a ny jets mark my words, but let's say it don't work out and green Bay maimes themselves with cap and fan good will. . . Joe will look to draft or get some other QB in the doors. He won't mortgage the future. 

Our team is playsoffs bound last year with out brewce injury. Much like SF they are built to win with out elite qb play. Our qbs were like 47th over all out of 32 teams. 

That's amazing. We will find a way but I truly believe AR will be jets and green Bay will accept the deal holding their noses.

I know this ? , and that is Joe won't flinch. He has no reason to

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

JD has always shown he sticks to his price. I think Green Bay just doesn't want to admit they need to let him go for anything less than a first. AR coming out like that just makes them look like assholes. Which they are btw.

Joe's knows they will come around and he is unwilling to offer more than what he thinks it's worth. He just doesn't become macc cause it's such a big player name. 

It's a sign of a good GM. Every move he makes is based on his evaluation of what a player slis worth and how much he should pay. He may have wanted a good deal but he is always shown he will pay fair price.

I bet there is a an offer standing right now, one for before June 1 and after. 

People forget about that bead money charge green Bay has with the contract. They will come around. 

please sticky this post to the front page ... thanks for this incredible specimen of observational deductive reasoning.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

And that’s it.

Favre trade was done in August.  Jets had Pennington on the roster still.  Even though Pennington wasn't that good and injury riddled, he was still an average QB when healthy.  Pennington was a much better option at that time in comparison with Zach today.  

Favre retired in March of that 2008 season but came back in July when the Packers were already moving forward with Rodgers.  

You also have to look at the salary cap for that year.  I see that he was making an average of 10 million per year but I have no idea what the salary landscape around each team was at that point of time.  

The situations are similar but we need to know more about the cap ramifications for each team in 2008 to make a determination on if they were in fact nearly identical.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Look, at the end of the day, Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh aren’t gutting this team of resources based on “fan vibes” creating “pressure.”  Woody Johnson isn’t going to fire them because the Packers, seemingly, decided to change their demands.  The sooner the media and Packers fans get this out of their heads, the sooner we can all get to having rational discussions about this, without all of the panic.

Honestly, I see this playing out 3 possible ways:

• The Packers stay stubborn beyond reason, the Jets cut their losses, eventually pull out of negotiations, pivot to someone like Tannehill or Stafford for a year, and address the long-term situation again next year.  Rodgers, who is already, very clearly, pissed with GB’s FO, either retires before June 1st, or stays on the roster, screwing the Packers’ cap.  This would be the worst case scenario.

• The Packers and Jets reach an agreement that is fair for both sides, with the Jets eating more money than they originally anticipated.  OR, say the current offer is a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd, that can become a 1st next year + a player like Corey Davis?  I could see them also upping the compensatory pick from a 3rd to a 2nd, with different parameters to make it a 1st, to get this across the finish line.

• The Packers include another player (Bakhtiari), eat most of the contract, and get 13 (I see this as the least likely scenario to play out.)

i would actually LOVE stafford.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Look, at the end of the day, Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh aren’t gutting this team of resources based on “fan vibes” creating “pressure.”  Woody Johnson isn’t going to fire them because the Packers, seemingly, decided to change their demands.  The sooner the media and Packers fans get this out of their heads, the sooner we can all get to having rational discussions about this, without all of the panic.

• The Packers stay stubborn beyond reason, the Jets cut their losses, eventually pull out of negotiations, pivot to someone like Tannehill or Stafford for a year, and address the long-term situation again next year.  Rodgers, who is already, very clearly, pissed with GB’s FO, either retires before June 1st, or stays on the roster, screwing the Packers’ cap.  This would be the worst case scenario.

• The Packers and Jets reach an agreement that is fair for both sides, with the Jets eating more money than they originally anticipated.  OR, say the current offer is a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd, that can become a 1st next year + a player like Corey Davis?  I could see them also upping the compensatory pick from a 3rd to a 2nd, with different parameters to make it a 1st, to get this across the finish line.

• The Packers include another player (Bakhtiari), eat most of the contract, and get 13 (I see this as the least likely scenario to play out.)

I would give them till 8 PM to take our deal, or go with # 1. This is absurd.

Twitter Jets and Packers fans are so funny. Arguing who has the leverage. But the leverage is really with Aaron Rodgers and no one else. He decided to play with the Jets instead of retiring and now both teams have to make it happen. It’s a disaster for both teams, if it doesn’t. The fact that the Packers might have upped their demands once they heard Rodgers wanted to be with the Jets, is pretty lame. But it’s reality. I want this years first round pick. Otherwise, I am ok with 2024 picks, to an extent. 

26 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Self loathing? **** you a$$hole,  it’s a discussion if you can’t handle someone with an opposing view point without insults maybe you shouldn’t be posting BS.

LOL headlines versus actual $$.  it's not even close.

Wait, you didn't know that the NFL will gladly do things that cause it to lose money????

NFL Ratings down 2020: Black Lives matter protest and 'kneeling' to affect NFL Viewership - The SportsRush

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And what happens when the Titans hold Tannehill hostage for a good compensation? What's plan C?

Fact is, other teams (albeit only a few) have an item we need. We have nothing they need. GB doesn't NEED to trade Rodgers, they'll suck regardless.  

I get that value is better than no value from a green bay standpoint, however at a certain point if the offer is too low, it's worth it to have Rodgers remain a life long packer and cripple Joe Douglas.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The biggest issue is they have 100% promised/guaranteed to Rodgers they are trading for him.  No I have no inside info, but there is no way Rodgers goes onto the Macafee show and announces he is playing and playing for the Jets unless the Jets have made that promise/guarantee.  They back out now and and they look like far bigger clowns than if they just over pay for the QB they want.

To me this is just another lesson in don't have plan B, C and D if you never really intend on going to them and NEVER assume a deal is done and act as if it is until the deal is done.  The Jets are guilty in both counts.

Yours is just about the worst take of anyone on this website. For the record, I disagree.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

And what happens when the Titans hold Tannehill hostage for a good compensation? What's plan C?

Stafford, who is openly available?  Did you willingly or knowingly skip that part?

• Upvote 2

The Jets should sign Minshew to backup deal right now.

If Murphy refuses to budge and the Jets don't get Rodgers, they will be left in a position where there won't even be a QB at #13 left to roll the dice on.

Then what?  17 more games of the Zach Wilson experience?

Or Marcus Mariota?  Decrepit Matt Ryan?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Should be noted that neither the Packers nor the Jets have been able to participate in free agency because Green Bay would be broke if Rodgers doesn’t get dealt and they have to reserve money in the event of that possibility. The Packers have to build that team up quite a bit if they’re going to transition to Jordan Love. Douglas should stop answering the phone for a week

The cap implications don’t really hit them this year (although the Jets agreeing to pick up money would surely help them). But if he doesn’t retire it’s catastrophic for their future cap and/or plans with Love. All this talk about “leverage”, but Rodgers is the one with the nuclear codes in the palm of his hand. If he comes out and says trade me to the Jets by this date or I’m not going anywhere, see you at whatever’s mandatory and cut me a check for 60 million, the Packers are screwed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Packers have 2 viable qbs. 

The Jets have Zach and no other viable options on the market besides Rodgers 

The Packers gm and hc got long term extensions before last season 

JD is in year 5 of 6 and has to win now 

The Packers have more leverage and if you don't believe that, why isn't the deal done yet? 

Because the Packers cap has not yet blown up.  And because the draft seems far away and they are assuming they will get something in the 2023 draft from the Jets for 2023. If they don't, there will be a melt down about it there.  Lets see how they feel as the draft approaches and they realize they get nada in 2023, then later on as the clock ticks down to the massive, and unaffordable cap hit, which of course is the draconian end of it. If Rodgers doesn't retire (and he won't) it will be economically catastrophic for them for more than a couple of years.  

We all know that it will never get that far.  But if it did, I doubt  the pack have any answers on managing that contract hit absent letting a lot of players go.  They need the Jets to absorb as much as possible.  They may have a different form of desperation, but don't kid yourself and try to kid everyone else here, they are just as desperate. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Frankly, Bakhitiari is probably a better fit for the current roster (with Rodgers) than whatever kid tackle they would draft at 13.

• Upvote 2