Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

To my mind, there is very little advantage to rushing this draft compensation stand-off from a Jets perspective. The Jets fans are impatient to have an answer and when the time comes, for Rodgers to don a Jet's practice jersey. The media are impatient for a full blown altered-consciousness conspiracy theory circus, but the closer we get to training camp Green Bay's bargaining position weakens as the financial implications threaten to rain on Green Bay's cap situation. Rodgers knows Hackett's offense and likely doesn't want to participate in mini-camp, our newly signed free agent Jets receiver knows Hackett's offense. Our back up qbs, whomever they will be, will need time with Hackett; particularly  given Rodger's age and the Jet's offensive line's inability to keep qbs off the astro turf.

I don't believe we are super bowl bound with or without the easily annoyed truth-sayer; given the large cap hit implications for the Jets post Rodgers we need to keep Green Bay's feet to the fire and ride this stand off out.

Bottom line. Jets just need to set a deadline and be willing to walk away. I think the fanbase would be upset but ultimately supportive if they walked away from outlandish demands.

If it's me, deadline is before they leave owners meetings. You've had months to figure this out. If it's not happening by now, it's not happening. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

LG is AVT’s original position. Probably makes sense to project him there in your silly doom-and-gloom scenario.

Say what silly wabbit. AVT was playing RG before he was injured. And its a moot point whether he's plays RG or LG. We need a center and hopefully another guard and we are projected to take a T with pick 13. So Your ridiculous lineup of Schimtz AND O'Cyrus is just pure fantasy.  Both those guys could easily go in round 1,  Only way EITHER of those guys is taken by JD is if he trades back in rd 1 which I dont see him doing since our T position is so fragile. Pick is in: Broderick Jones T at pick 13.  He could take over midway for Brown.  Blue chip T is an absolute MUST at 13.  JD more likely lets Lake come back since his options are limited.  And dont mess with Dr.Doom

dr_doom_by_patrickbrown_de36dyl-fullview.jpg

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why I think GB wants to give Love all the “ love “ and support they can. That means replacing 60 mil backup qb with other FAs. Using 1 of jets picks also. Plus the mental ****k they would be doing to Love having the awkwardness of Rodgers around.

All true with one exception: They can't use any money on FA's this year regardless of Rodgers' status.   They are done.   They signed the guys they wanted back and some B level ST players and will allocate the rest to the draft.  But to ur point yes, an extra 25 K to the cap NEXT year would be good resources..   This needs to get done before the draft and they probably want draft capitol this year.  My guess is NY keeps 13 and gives at least a second away this year.

14 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Say what silly wabbit. AVT was playing RG before he was injured. And its a moot point whether he's plays RG or LG. We need a center and hopefully another guard and we are projected to take a T with pick 13. So Your ridiculous lineup of Schimtz AND O'Cyrus is just pure fantasy.  Both those guys could easily go in round 1,  Only way EITHER of those guys is taken by JD is if he trades back in rd 1 which I dont see him doing since our T position is so fragile. Pick is in: Broderick Jones T at pick 13.  He could take over midway for Brown.  Blue chip T is an absolute MUST at 13.  JD more likely lets Lake come back since his options are limited.  And dont mess with Dr.Doom

dr_doom_by_patrickbrown_de36dyl-fullview.jpg

AVT played all along the line before he got hurt. That’s irrelevant.

AVT was drafted as a LT. He looked stellar at LT as a rookie. You made the argument we don’t retain Laken, so like, it’s common sense to put AVT back there.

I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. Arguing gif the sake of arguing, yet not understanding what you’re arguing for?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The problem with your stance is that you think the Jets have to come away with Rodgers or else they’ll be clowned in the media. But they’re *already* being clowned in the media for going after Rodgers in the first place! The Jets can win the Super Bowl WITH Rodgers and ESPN is going to clown them anyway. It doesn’t matter what the perception is! 

If the jets win their first game of the year with rodgers they will be called geniuses for getting rodgers , if they lose they will be clowned.  This stance by the nation media will change week to week.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I think we’ve exhausted all the “Jets have all the leverage” arguments we could possibly have when we’re down to 

1. what if Rodgers hurts himself doing bicep curls

2. wait until Woody gets ahold of Murphy at the owners meetings

Almost tore a tricep today doing dips.  Tried one too many and my left arm gave out.  Lucky, got away with it…

3 hours ago, derp said:

Snookie declared her intention is to drive the Charger in front of the salesman. You never said anything. Do you let the feelings of a teenage girl dictate whether or not you overpay for a car by $25k?

Meanwhile, the Charger is an older model. Salesman needs to sell the Charger  because the dealership has decided there’s a new model they want to showcase - but they can’t until the older Charger off the lot. Additionally, because of some poor bookkeeping, the dealer may not be able to fill their lot with quality cars next year unless the older Charger has sold. Needs the Charger off the lot within the next five and a half months. Gets some incentives for other new cars coming on the lot if it’s sold in the next month, otherwise the new cars come a year later.

So we are going the 200 grand lambourghini or the hyundai from last  year rout?

Out problem is not the salesman, he can jump in the lake, our problem is that we fell in love with and promised the charger before seeing how much it costs and are now in a pickle.

SNOOKIE HATERS!

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

AVT played all along the line before he got hurt. That’s irrelevant.

AVT was drafted as a LT. He looked stellar at LT as a rookie. You made the argument we don’t retain Laken, so like, it’s common sense to put AVT back there.

I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. Arguing gif the sake of arguing, yet not understanding what you’re arguing for?

Uhhh he was drafted to play guard. Which he did.  He only went to LT when Becton/Fant got hurt. And who's arguing? ME? LOL You're the one that started with insipid insults. I'm just debating the lineup you posted of O'Cyrus and Schmitz. Then you get all huffy puffy when I offer my take on it. I mean that's what we do here. No? Just dont see how getting both those guys is possible.  Would be great but then you bypass taking a blue chip T.   But chime in with HOW we get al 3 of those guys BECAUSE JD is taking a T at 13.

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Am I new here?  Are you trying to insult me?  Lol.  I am here a lot, and try to only post when the spirit moves me.  

I just feel that we have both have made our view points fully known, and at this point, I am anxious to see how it all turns out.

I have great respect for Joe Douglas's skills as a negotiator, and believe that he will do his best job for the betterment of the organization.

My only fear is that I hope that Mr. Johnson stays the hell out of it, and let Joe do his job.

The "new here" sarcasm was with regard to your suggestion that I might merely retort with a [singular] last word. ;) 

I think Johnson is staying out. He made the trip to CA to further convince Rodgers that they're all of one mind on their desire that he play here (instead of effectively vetoing a trade with retirement threats). Douglas has shown patience in terms of making trades, from Adams (in August) to not caving early here through all the "omg how come this isn't done yet" fan concerns.

He hasn't taken care of the QB position thus far, of course, but he seems a cool customer in this area. His job is to convince the other side: (1) I am willing to walk away; (2) you want/need this more than I do; or (3) both. 

• Upvote 2

So GB has no cap room to sign free agents until AR is traded. They are in cap hell. Anyone wonder if the Lazard signing was JD sticking it to them a bit? Although he is a nice player as well and the Jets needed a big receiver.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Starr said:

Packers offered Favre $20 million to just retire in 2007 so that's about $30 million in todays dollars. I don't see that this option is off the table yet if Jets play hardball for Rodgers.

Boy I don't think he'd take it.   He wants to play AND make 60 million.

14 minutes ago, sciond said:

So GB has no cap room to sign free agents until AR is traded. They are in cap hell. Anyone wonder if the Lazard signing was JD sticking it to them a bit? Although he is a nice player as well and the Jets needed a big receiver.

Wrong on all fronts.  GB has no cap room this year with or without Rodgers.   And Lazard, at his price point was not an option.  He's just a guy...

9 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

No way man. I’m not giving up 13. What happens if Rodgers plays only one year? The Jets will look like fools.

The Jets could impose a clause that says if we give GB 13 and he retires after this season, GB gives up X next year in the draft.   That could protect them.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Mini camp starts June 17. Rodgers needs to be ours by June 10 to give him time to get his act together and in camp without a rush. Packers want to wait until June 2. That gives them a week to do 90 minutes of work 

E2516DDE-7692-488F-A583-19FAABF1F547.jpeg

I'm guessing this gets done before the draft.   Many reasons why.

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The "new here" sarcasm was with regard to your suggestion that I might merely retort with a [singular] last word. ;) 

I think Johnson is staying out. He made the trip to CA to further convince Rodgers that they're all of one mind on their desire that he play here (instead of effectively vetoing a trade with retirement threats). Douglas has shown patience in terms of making trades, from Adams (in August) to not caving early here through all the "omg how come this isn't done yet" fan concerns.

He hasn't taken care of the QB position thus far, of course, but he seems a cool customer in this area. His job is to convince the other side: (1) I am willing to walk away; (2) you want/need this more than I do; or (3) both. 

Do you think Johnson brokers a meeting at the owner get together and attempts to push this through?

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Wait so you think AR will pretty much consider any team that calls about him? That he won’t tell that team interested he doesn’t want to play for them? That he won’t only pick a team that he thinks can possibly win a SB? Go look at NE weapons and tell me why he’d want to join NE. You guys also conveniently left out that you think at all he’d want to go where Brady was? He likely would rather go anywhere else.

i cant see him saying no to playing for a HOF HC. they won more games then we did and there QB sucks too. he could win a SB with them.

Rodgers wants this done soon too. he has to find a place to live, and get other stuff together to play for a new team. if NE calls tomorrow and says they already worked out a trade with GB do you want to play here i think 100% he says yes. then trying to beat there trade wont matter cause he choose them over us.

i dont think he cares were Brady played. Favre played here and he hates him. 

dont think we have all this leverage that if another team says they want him he will say no. 

Rodgers wants us cause we are the only ones who want him. the last thing we want is for Rodgers to have other options. the longer this plays out is not to our advantage. 

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Bottom line. Jets just need to set a deadline and be willing to walk away.  

Can I ask why?

the jets traded for Brett Favre in August and won 8 of their first 11 games with him before his torn bicep wrecked the season. 

why do we have to worry about setting a deadline for acquiring Aaron Rodgers in late March?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

i cant see him saying no to playing for a HOF HC. they won more games then we did and there QB sucks too. he could win a SB with them.

Rodgers wants this done soon too. he has to find a place to live, and get other stuff together to play for a new team. if NE calls tomorrow and says they already worked out a trade with GB do you want to play here i think 100% he says yes. then trying to beat there trade wont matter cause he choose them over us.

i dont think he cares were Brady played. Favre played here and he hates him. 

dont think we have all this leverage that if another team says they want him he will say no. 

Rodgers wants us cause we are the only ones who want him. the last thing we want is for Rodgers to have other options. the longer this plays out is not to our advantage. 

Could be something to this.   It was reported a month or two ago that multiple teams inquired about Aaron Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Can I ask why?

the jets traded for Brett Favre in August and won 8 of their first 11 games with him before his torn bicep wrecked the season. 

why do we have to worry about setting a deadline for acquiring Aaron Rodgers in late March?

If my memory serves me they had been set to roll with Chad Pennington going into that season.   Are you ready to roll with what you currently have just in case the Packers A. Don't cave.   or B. Find someone else?

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Can I ask why?

Because Sammy Big Head is getting impatient. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Could be something to this.   It was reported a month or two ago that multiple teams inquired about Aaron Rodgers.

Which I think those teams were LV and Miami. Miami committed to Tua picking up his option as well as spending all their cap pretty much. And LV signed Jimmy G. I think TEN was rumored at a point. And I’d love to hear any reason why he’d choose TEN over us with that roster.

Fact is is no teams have came forward since he made it public he wants to play and wants to play for the Jets. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact. You think these sports journalists wouldn’t blow up a story if there was another team? There isn’t that’s why.