What is the Infatuation Many on this Board have with OBJ????????

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

People like to dump on Woody, and rightfully so, but the average Jets fan shares his view of roster construction: if you’ve heard of a guy, he must be worth dumping a bunch of future assets to acquire

I’m holding out for the return of Antonio Brown  so suck it. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

A healthy, clear headed OBJ is definitely better than Moore…. but it’s not 2015 anymore. It’s 2023.

He’s never healthy, and he’s been a problem everywhere he’s played for longer than 5 weeks (LA).

He wasnt a problem in LA. I think her respect AR and not be a distraction. And he’s healthy now. 

OBJ in his own is worth a ton talent wise. But if he can be had for let’s say 6-8mill base salary that can go to 12-14mill with incentives…. That’s a steal for his talent being he is healthy right now. And for a win now team… it makes sense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I posted this in another thread, but the Moore trade has led to a bunch of speculation about signing OBJ and I am just not seeing it.  OBJ has missed 60 of the last 102 games since 2017.  He has not even been on the field for 60% of games in the past 6 (!) seasons.  On those rare occasions when he has been healthy, he just has not produced in years.  He has two games over 80 yards and one game with 6 or more receptions since 2019.  Both of those stats are putrid.    So he had a good half in the Super Bowl in 2022 - 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD.  Whoop De Damn Do!  You don't judge a player by 26 minutes of football when you have a six year period of time for evaluation.  Any player can look good in a 26 minute sample size. And that 26 minutes becomes virtually irrelevant after an ACL injury (particularly considering his age).  30 year-old receivers coming off a 2nd ACL injury are not a good investment, no matter what the contract is.   

Now he is 30 and coming off another ACL injury and Jets fans want to give him money and a roster spot?  Seriously?  Why?  He is completely done.  Finished. He's old, he's injured,  he is a chronic complainer/locker room cancer, and he's a massive head case.  Talk about throwing money and a roster spot away. Let someone else make this colossal mistake.  I'd rather have almost anybody else.  Good GMs pay for future rather than past performance.  OBJ is all past performance and his future is crap.  I'd be surprised if he plays more than 5-6 games this season and more than 10-15 games for the rest of his career.  People here complain about JD drafting Becton, but Becton had no track record of injuries.  OBJ is a walking injury at this point, and that is if he doesn't wreck the locker room before he gets injured because he's not getting the ball.  All he has is a "name" and he hasn't lived up to that name in a very very long time.  He has nothing else going for him at this point.  Give me anybody else to fill the 4-5 WR spot.  Jets fans should want no part of this has-been.  Hopefully JD is much smarter than that and stays away from him. There is nothing positive about him other than a memory of how he played from 2014-16  and two catches in the 2022 SB.  

Well said - I don’t want him within 50 miles of Florham Park 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I posted this in another thread, but the Moore trade has led to a bunch of speculation about signing OBJ and I am just not seeing it.  OBJ has missed 60 of the last 102 games since 2017.  He has not even been on the field for 60% of games in the past 6 (!) seasons.  On those rare occasions when he has been healthy, he just has not produced in years.  He has two games over 80 yards and one game with 6 or more receptions since 2019.  Both of those stats are putrid.    So he had a good half in the Super Bowl in 2022 - 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD.  Whoop De Damn Do!  You don't judge a player by 26 minutes of football when you have a six year period of time for evaluation.  Any player can look good in a 26 minute sample size. And that 26 minutes becomes virtually irrelevant after an ACL injury (particularly considering his age).  30 year-old receivers coming off a 2nd ACL injury are not a good investment, no matter what the contract is.   

Now he is 30 and coming off another ACL injury and Jets fans want to give him money and a roster spot?  Seriously?  Why?  He is completely done.  Finished. He's old, he's injured,  he is a chronic complainer/locker room cancer, and he's a massive head case.  Talk about throwing money and a roster spot away. Let someone else make this colossal mistake.  I'd rather have almost anybody else.  Good GMs pay for future rather than past performance.  OBJ is all past performance and his future is crap.  I'd be surprised if he plays more than 5-6 games this season and more than 10-15 games for the rest of his career.  People here complain about JD drafting Becton, but Becton had no track record of injuries.  OBJ is a walking injury at this point, and that is if he doesn't wreck the locker room before he gets injured because he's not getting the ball.  All he has is a "name" and he hasn't lived up to that name in a very very long time.  He has nothing else going for him at this point.  Give me anybody else to fill the 4-5 WR spot.  Jets fans should want no part of this has-been.  Hopefully JD is much smarter than that and stays away from him. There is nothing positive about him other than a memory of how he played from 2014-16  and two catches in the 2022 SB.  

He played 11 games for the Rams and had 7 TDs. That’s pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yes he got injured since. But the man by the time he steps on the field week 1 will have been recovered for 18-19 months. This isn’t a guy coming back after 8 months. He should be more than 100% healthy.

5 hours ago, SCRUNO said:

OBJ would bring the bad juju to this organization. You can win a Super Bowl without divas. Hard pass for me.

I don't know about you guys, but with so many big name players changing teams this should be an awesome NFL season.

Except he literally did exactly that 2 seasons ago.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SR24 said:

Signing OBJ will make Rodgers happy and will also help NYJ sell more tickets. Which is what they’re thinking about. I personally think it’s a dumb idea to trade a distraction, only to then sign an even bigger less reliable distraction but it is what it is 

After acquiring Rodgers, they will sell the exact same # of tickets without OBJ: all of them.

Other than that, yes the obvious reason is Rodgers wants him.

8 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

Good WR

0 assets required 

GODgers wants him

its pretty cut and dry mate 

Again yes, this is the reason. Absent Rodgers wanting him - rather than guessing/hoping they get along - no one is after him, let alone “infatuated” with the idea.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He wasnt a problem in LA. I think her respect AR and not be a distraction. And he’s healthy now. 

OBJ in his own is worth a ton talent wise. But if he can be had for let’s say 6-8mill base salary that can go to 12-14mill with incentives…. That’s a steal for his talent being he is healthy right now. And for a win now team… it makes sense.

WR incentives, for the team’s non-#1 target, should only be tied to games played, not individual stats. Otherwise they’d be incentivizing more discontent while winning & while anyone else gets catches, yards, and TDs.

To me this justified concern was the best reason to move on from Moore, who hasn’t yet gotten a big payday; not because his ceiling was forever low.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

I thought Lazard was the #2 for GB

And Aaron Rodgers had his worst year as a pro.  If we're to believe Rodgers sucking was a talent issue on his team (which is repeated over and over again) then Lazard being #2 was part of that problem.  

He's not a #2.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

WR incentives, for the team’s non-#1 target, should only be tied to games played, not individual stats. Otherwise they’d be incentivizing more discontent while winning & while anyone else gets catches, yards, and TDs.

To me this justified concern was the best reason to move on from Moore, who hasn’t yet gotten a big payday; not because his ceiling was forever low.

Yes. Moore with the advice he's been fed by AJ Brown and such was destined to be even more of a headache. I do think having a respected QB does make things change. Is Moore complaining about his usage if Rodgers is at QB? Maybe. I don't think so. Takes some balls to pretty much call out one of the best QBs of all time when you're not proven. It's easy to call out a guy when it's an awful Wilson at QB. Same goes at OC. MLF never came across as a stern. Kind of a players type OC. Too nice. Everything we know about Hackett is he's the opposite. So Moore wouldn't have even thought about mouthing off I don't think around Hackett with Lazard and AR there.

What's done is done now.

But we do need another starting WR now. And OBJ on an incentive deal makes sense. We just traded away our 3rd, so I don't think Hopkins is realistic really. Not sure what the price for Jeudy is. Has a tie with Hackett, still young and has a ton of talent.

OBJ as an UFA makes the most sense and is the cheapest. Seems he wants to come here. It's just a matter if we want him and we can make the money right with him base wise and incentive wise. 

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, we don't know what he is. 

But we do know JD and the Jets went to his workout and by all accounts he looks very good - and, as per reports, his explosiveness is still there.  He may not be the same player from 2021 - but he also just might be.

I trust Aaron Rodgers judgement on WR's more than anyone on this forum - and know that our front office has seen him workout.

If they feel he's ready - then I'm for it.

They might be wrong - as these guys are wrong all the time - but he's as good an option as any - and this team is desperate for a #2 WR that ODJ can be.

Pretty much this...

- Nobody knows what his current health is, but our scouts looked at him
- He is multiple years since last injury, he's had the last year plus to return to health and rebuild his strength
- This is not the 22 yr old arrogant OBJ, yeah he may have been a cancer and a drama filled problem on other teams, but this is a player that *maybe* has grown up a little and maybe learned from those moments and is hungry to return to the game.
- Getting an energized and vengance filled OBJ along with Rodgers whom OBJ is close to could be a good thing for OBJ and for the Jets
- Low risk signing for a high reward
- We wouldn't be signing him to be a #1 or 2 WR, but a rotational player that may still have high level ability

There is very little downside.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Pretty much this...

- Nobody knows what his current health is, but our scouts looked at him
- He is multiple years since last injury, he's had the last year plus to return to health and rebuild his strength
- This is not the 22 yr old arrogant OBJ, yeah he may have been a cancer and a drama filled problem on other teams, but this is a player that *maybe* has grown up a little and maybe learned from those moments and is hungry to return to the game.
- Getting an energized and vengance filled OBJ along with Rodgers whom OBJ is close to could be a good thing for OBJ and for the Jets
- Low risk signing for a high reward
- We wouldn't be signing him to be a #1 or 2 WR, but a rotational player that may still have high level ability

There is very little downside.

Getting kicked off of a plane and taking everyone off with him is a glimpse into his coachability. This happened two months ago. He sucks.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

And Aaron Rodgers had his worst year as a pro.  If we're to believe Rodgers sucking was a talent issue on his team (which is repeated over and over again) then Lazard being #2 was part of that problem.  

He's not a #2.

Considering all the slugs JAG’s this team has had over the years at WR Lazard is a drastic improvement. 

14 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

OBJ will ruin the locker room . He is a cancer . STAY AWAY .

I remember when he ruined the Rams lockerroom the year they won the Super Bowl, is was so cancerous and they should have stayed away.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Getting Rodgers means that we are swinging for the fences this year and hopefully next. For a suffering fan base like us, it will be a mental challenge for us to comprehend that we have a shot at the Lombardi trophy right now and next year if Rodgers comes back.  If that's the case then you go all in and sign people that may not be in it for the long haul but can help right now to get us that chip!    

• Upvote 1

Starting to get the feeling that this is actually about to happen. Not sure how I feel about it, but OBJ is a pretty sizable upgrade over Moore. Let’s hope that it works out if and when it does happen.

No denying the Jets will head into week 1 with massive firepower from basically everywhere on offense

He’s kinda like Deion Sanders, the superbowl contenders want him because he is a difference maker. You don’t make a mega investment in him. That ship has sailed for him. He’s a hired gun, a mercenary. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s signed after the first game by somebody so his deal isn’t guaranteed 

I think we can take a flyer on the dude if he's cheap enough.  I mean, you still have GW and Lazard to carry most of the load.  Plus this dude Hardman who I admittedly know nothing about.  Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft another WR as well.  I think as long as OBJ doesn't HAVE to be our #1 or #2, which on paper it certainly looks like he doesn't, we can afford to roll the dice.  Plus if Rodgers wants him, and he wants to play with Rodgers, why not?  I doubt Rodgers wants him here so he can trip balls with him...he must believe the two of them can do some damage together.  

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's not a #2.

Looking at the 2022 depth chart Lazard might have moved from #3 in 2021 to #1 in 2022. I didn't watch enough of the games to know if they kept him lined up at the X. (I'm not suggesting Lazzard should be a #1.) 

In 2021 Rodgers had Adams and Valdes-Scantling as 1/2. You would expect some drop off losing one of the best receivers in the game and another receiver who went on to be the #1 on a super bowl team. Almost any set of receivers will be a drop off compared to having those two at wideout.