### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like I said, we'll see if this rotational tweener contributes at all these next two years.

Or if last year's version of this guy, JJ, ever shows up.

Or if the FA version of this guy, Lawson, ever shows up.....

Or if our O doesn't screw Rodgers due to fragility and lack of any depth at all.

With respect to Lawson he did blow out his Achilles and that's not a great injury to come back from.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

IMG_2276.thumb.jpeg.e8586558ea529d48b2f682e753a269a7.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg.5048f205c57ca851b9d828dc46106129.jpeg

Usually not a good combo if the bolded part is what you’re looking for.

Weight is secondary. You can add weight. You cannot add speed and burst. Look at the tape and what he does well. We have just added a need. We lost out on the OTs. We didn’t need a WR or TE, as much as everyone wanted one. There are a ton in this draft. This kind of player cannot be found in the 2nd round. Funny how everyone wanted Nolan Smith and he is still there. That would have been a bad pick. IMO. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They, literally, said they had offers but Douglas viewed him as “too good to pass on.”

If thats true then its beyond dumb.  This roster needs numerous upgrades and depth at LB, safety, center, guard, tackle. We only have 2 picks left in the next 3 rounds. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

2018 Eagles had 5

Don’t compare Jets GMs to the Eagles.

Also, you suggested a couple of developmental tackles. So 2? We’ve already used 1. So in general, we need more picks if he wants to do what you said and walk away with better odds of hitting on players.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like I said, we'll see if this rotational tweener contributes at all these next two years.

Or if our O doesn't screw Rodgers due to fragility and lack of any depth at all.

Who would you have picked there?

• Upvote 1

Jet fans “ dont take an OT early there are lots of guys in later rounds”

also jet fans “I cant believe we took a pass rusher in the first we should have gone OT”

and one more…..

Jet fans “We dont have a pass rush. We need a pass rush to keep opposing qbs from scoring on us!”

also Jet fans: “What os joe d thinking????! a pass rusher?!??”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Hunch Cody Mauch tomorrow if he’s there. Jets have him as a T but think he can play G/C

Freak athlete with shorter arms, but can envision him being used the same way they would’ve pieced in Skoronski had they drafted him

Interesting.  You get the sense the Jets value Mauch over a pure center like JMS?

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They were also #1/#1 and #3/#3 in Offense (Yards/Points Scored).

Offense got them there, both were better at offense than Defense, although Eagles were great at both.

JJ looked pretty good to me in limited snaps last year and Lawson had 7 sacks coming off a torn Achilles - I don’t think either one of those are great examples 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

So many on here hyperventilating because the Bills got Kincaid.

Last year in game 1 the Jets beat the Bills with Zach Wilson. In game 2, they lost but held Allen to 1 passing, 1 rushing TD. Now the Jets have Rodgers. I'm not scared of the Bills with or without Kincaid. 

So the Jets missed out on their Tackle at 15 and decided to take a professional pass rusher. I'm fine with that. It was exactly one of the 'Plan B' scenarios I was expecting. 

I saw maybe 5 comments about it.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They, literally, said they had offers but Douglas viewed him as “too good to pass on.”

Yup and I trust guys who know a little bit about defensive players. The point was, they felt he would be gone if they traded back too far. Myles Murphy just went before Nolan Smith, who will go soon. The pash rushers are all gone. And we needed one. Anyone who wanted to pick a WR at 15 is just clueless.  Not with what we have already added this off-season and what we still need. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

If thats true then its beyond dumb.  This roster needs numerous upgrades and depth at LB, safety, center, guard, tackle. We only have 2 picks left in the next 3 rounds. 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Hunch Cody Mauch tomorrow if he’s there. Jets have him as a T but think he can play G/C

Freak athlete with shorter arms, but can envision him being used the same way they would’ve pieced in Skoronski had they drafted him

Didn’t they also bring in the OT from BYU for a Top30 visit?

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Weight is secondary. You can add weight. You cannot add speed and burst. Look at the tape and what he does well. We have just added a need. We lost out on the OTs. We didn’t need a WR or TE, as much as everyone wanted one. There are a ton in this draft. This kind of player cannot be found in the 2nd round. Funny how everyone wanted Nolan Smith and he is still there. That would have been a bad pick. IMO. 

Disagree

If GW were to go down, the passing game is sort of hosed

JSN was a slam dunk pick that would have paid immediate dividends

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who would you have picked there?

You missed my late edit to hat post Tom.

They (Chiefs/Eagles) were also #1/#1 and #3/#3 in Offense (Yards/Points Scored).

Offense got them there, both were better at offense than Defense, although Eagles were great at both.

I would have taken the WR, the way the board worked out.

We'll see how it goes, it is what it is now.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

That’s all well and good but Bryce Huff has 7.5 sacks in 3 years.  That’s why he’s “only worthy” of a second round tender, despite having top win rates.

Im a fan of Huff but the point of a pick like this is to potentially have a guy similar to Micah Parsons/Chandler Jones/Aldon Smith who can bend around Lawson/QW/JFM and actually sack the QB.  Like…get to him fast enough before he releases the ball.

And let’s not pretend our pass rush was incredible last season.  If it weren’t for our secondary and QW’s breakout year, the pass rush would have been terrible.

Micah Parsons: 6-3, 248.

Chandler Jones: 6-5, 266.

Aldon Smith: 6-4, 280.

Bryce Huff (who was, and still is, considered to be “undersized”: 6-3, 255.

Will McDonald IV: 6-3, 239 (combine weight; Iowa state listed him at 6-3 236, so he put on 3lbs during draft prep.)

The Jets, essentially, took Aaron Maybin, in the hopes that it pans out differently.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You missed my late edit to hat post Tom.

They (Chiefs/Eagles) were also #1/#1 and #3/#3 in Offense (Yards/Points Scored).

I would have taken the WR, the way the board worked out.

We'll see how it goes, it is what it is now.  

To your point, we picked up Rodgers to improve the offense. If the offense improves, the pass rush will be more productive. If the pass rush gets home, the offense gets the ball back. Let’s see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And you have to factor in that Carl Lawson has only one year left.  

THis could also be a sign that something is happening with Lawson.  Remember, we might need that $15 million for more veteran signings after the draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Micah Parsons: 6-3, 248.

Chandler Jones: 6-5, 266.

Aldon Smith: 6-4, 280.

Bryce Huff (who was, and still is, considered to be “undersized”: 6-3, 255.

Will McDonald IV: 6-3, 239 (combine weight; Iowa state listed him at 6-3 236, so he put on 3lbs during draft prep.)

The Jets, essentially, took Aaron Maybin, in the hopes that it pans out differently.

I admittedly don't know much about him but Maybin didn't bend much, he was a straight line speed guy