### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

47 minutes ago, football guy said:

I give GB kudos for getting the pick swap in late. Had always expected it to be 2 second-round picks, one being conditional. 

I think the Jets should've held firm on the pick swap and if it was clear no deal was getting done before the draft without it, I would've wanted the Packers 4th round pick instead of the 5th. 

And yes, OT was the priority 

Respect your info and really appreciate it. Not doubting OT was priority but Jones wasn’t gonna be the pick if he was there 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Let me be clear: I have not heard him associated with the Jets at all and I do not believe he will be the pick. With that said... 

imagine Mekhi Becton and Dawand Jones on the same OL lol

There are lots of good guys still on the board. I think tonight we see a trade down.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I see the draft bros all jerking off the Eagles for picking Nolan Smith and Jalen Carter, but how come nobody talks about how all these UGA defensive players suck out loud as pros? Who was the last decent one? Roquan?

Evidently, the Eagles are also geniuses for continuing to invest in an already strong DL while the Jets are nuttier than a sh*thouse rat for doing so.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Evidently, the Eagles are also geniuses for continuing to invest in an already strong DL while the Jets are nuttier than a sh*thouse rat for doing so.

And KC also went back to back on Edge, having drafted Karlaftis last year.

It's almost as if Edge is an important position or something. :D 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

Let me be clear: I have not heard him associated with the Jets at all and I do not believe he will be the pick. With that said... 

Starting to feel like he might be the target !! Seattle going to steal the center 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I see the draft bros all jerking off the Eagles for picking Nolan Smith and Jalen Carter, but how come nobody talks about how all these UGA defensive players suck out loud as pros? Who was the last decent one? Roquan?

And if it were the Jets they would crucify us for taken Carter after the arrest and other character issues

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

eh. Dawand is a totally different prospect. Mekhi was a dancing bear coming out. Dawand has cement shoes.

I'll reiterate: if Mauch is there I think he will be the pick. Between his profile, fit, need, and Jets interest, it just makes a lot of sense. Jets love his background (high character/freak athlete, great work ethic, former TE, multi-sport athlete, elite competitor, late bloomer having switched to OL in 2018, tough & nasty). The Jets believe he can play T, but also think he can shift inside as a G or C. He's very much the Will McDonald IV of OL when you consider his strengths down to his weaknesses (some size questions RE: arm length, 24-year-old rookie, etc.).

Besides, this guy would absolutely get along with Aaron... 

Cody Mauch Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

If they don't land him or another tackle-capable player in the second, these are the names to keep an eye on later: 

• Blake Freeland, BYU 
  • Tyler Steen, Alabama
  • Nick Saldiveri, Old Dominion
  • Jake Witt, Northern Michigan (Saleh alma mater- don't discount this) 
  • Trevor Reid, Louisville

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'll reiterate: if Mauch is there I think he will be the pick. Between his profile, fit, need, and Jets interest, it just makes a lot of sense. Jets love his background (high character/freak athlete, great work ethic, former TE, multi-sport athlete, elite competitor, late bloomer having switched to OL in 2018, tough & nasty). The Jets believe he can play T, but also think he can shift inside as a G or C. He's very much the Will McDonald IV of OL when you consider his strengths down to his weaknesses (some size questions RE: arm length, 24-year-old rookie, etc.).

If they don't land him or another tackle-capable player in the second, these are the names to keep an eye on later: 

• Blake Freeland, BYU 
  • Tyler Steen, Alabama

Braveheart - As It Matters In Battle (Rock Throwing Scene Contest ...

Cody looks like the Hamish character from Braveheart. lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'll reiterate: if Mauch is there I think he will be the pick. Between his profile, fit, need, and Jets interest, it just makes a lot of sense. Jets love his background (high character/freak athlete, great work ethic, former TE, multi-sport athlete, elite competitor, late bloomer having switched to OL in 2018, tough & nasty). He's very much the Will McDonald IV of OL when you consider his strengths down to his weaknesses (some size questions RE: arm length, 24-year-old rookie, etc.).

• Blake Freeland, BYU 
  • Tyler Steen, Alabama

Great call on Reid....Fits athletic profile..Not seeing many internet draft experts mentioning him but I am seeing alot of late team workouts

Kent Lee Platte @MathBomb
Trevor Reid is a OT prospect in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 9.61 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 51 out of 1294 OT from 1987 to 2023.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

And if it were the Jets they would crucify us for taken Carter after the arrest and other character issues

Can’t wait for the Niners to dump Trey Lance for a couple of fifth rounders tonight and watch the ESPN desk explode in praise for John Lynch’s ability to recoup value.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I've reflected on this and you're probably right RE: trading to 12 if we were at 13. No matter what the Lions GM says that probably would've happened... part of the reason why ARI moved back up for PJJ was because the Steelers tried to move up for him too. I think you have the first part right; they made it way too obvious that OT was their intent. Had they had more picks I think they would've traded up themselves, but didn't want to put themselves in a position to have a 3 person draft class. 

It’s why I didn’t want to believe they were locked in on a tackle. If that is 100% the way they wanted to go, telegraphing that position in a class this narrow, as far back as they were, and with Pittsburgh, Tampa, and even New England behind them was just such bad process. Was bad at 13 and even worse since flipping to 15 was always a possibility.

The tackle need was kind of unique in that that guy would be competing with a vet in Duane Brown on a win now team and potentially riding the line for a year and developing, as we discussed, so I think personality fit and character were huge there. That idea gave me a bit of hope was the 30 visits were more about getting a feel for that than locking in on the position - again, because I think if they were locked in there the process was so bad.

If you definitely want a tackle then burn a few 30’s on DE’s and JSM, leak some stories about wanting to reunite Wilson and JSN or the desire to beef up the pass rush hoping for more leads with Rodgers and connect the dots with all the free agents at both spots after this season. Talk up Max Mitchell, leak something about liking how AVT played at tackle this year and considering playing him there going forward. Introduce some questions. Just feels so obvious and easy.

Obviously having less picks made that tougher too, really hard to move up, which was again part of why I thought it was so bad. This wasn’t 2020 when they could’ve leapt up a little. To box yourself in when you lack flexibility and telegraph it is just awful. I don’t want to believe they did that, but they’re never going to say yeah we got sniped by Pittsburgh, so we’ll never truly know.

Realistically, they were pretty much screwed once Arizona locked in on Paris Johnson. Took the best option off the board and started the run early.

Missing on the tackle isn’t the end of the world, hopefully they can add somebody. But if that was the process it’s a concern IMO because even from afar it was very obviously deeply flawed - and that would be a problem.

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree and i think that’s why the OL went early.  The wrs sucked, the TEs clearly were overvalued, nobody wanted Levis.  You take who you like.  The jets got a legit situational edge, reminds me of Abraham.  He will be invisible some games and impact some games.  

So you're saying he should be better than JJ. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Howie hires extremely great football people/scouts to identify the players. He's a master at processing the information his people share with him, maneuvering the board and acquiring the talent. His "skill" is not scouting and by no means should that be taken as an insult; Howie is one of the leagues best General Managers.

Either way, this is being blown out of proportion. It wasn't a blanket defense of JD. The only point I'm was making was that in 2018, Joe identified Matt Pryor and Jordan Mailata as later round developmental OL after missing out on guys early. Everyone in Philadelphia would credit him the credit for those picks. After missing out on his OL this year, he needs to try and channel that deep scouting background in OL in hopes of uncovering someone. That's not to say he will: he had his fair share of misses too... but in light of what happened, you hope that he will look back into what made the 2018 draft blueprint great and tap into that. Don't see why that's so controversial lol 

It’s not controversial. All I said is if he’s going to take a few developmental OL he’ll need more picks. You said 5 is enough.

It’s a disagreement, not a controversy. Lighten up. 

36 minutes ago, football guy said:

• Blake Freeland, BYU 
  • Tyler Steen, Alabama

What round are they expecting Tyler Steen to last until?  If we keep our pick in the 2nd, we don't have another pick until the 4th.

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Great call on Reid....Fits athletic profile..Not seeing many internet draft experts mentioning him but I am seeing alot of late team workouts

Kent Lee Platte @MathBomb
Trevor Reid is a OT prospect in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 9.61 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 51 out of 1294 OT from 1987 to 2023.

Jets have met with him and worked him out. He's just an athlete at this point, but if your looking for a comparable to JD's past look at Jordan Mailata. Big, freaky OL who didn't play much (any) football. Took 2 years to develop him but he's now a high-end LT. Not saying he can be Mailata because I don't know that Reid has the same instincts or strength, but think developmental tackle in that vein. Same can be said for Jake Witt

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s not controversial. All I said is if he’s going to take a few developmental OL he’ll need more picks. You said 5 is enough.

It’s a disagreement, not a controversy. Lighten up. 

I'm lit lol. They had 5 picks that year, spent 2 on later-round OL. We have 5 this year, and they had their sights set on leaving the draft with 2 OL.